US TV reporter and cameraman fatally shot during live report in Virginia

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would approve of laws that allow employers to flag certain people as workplace violence high risk but there would need to be a process where that was legally verified as a reasonable charge. Then such laws could be used to deny guns and take away current guns. Makes sense to me. But if there wasn't a process it could be abused by employers to stigmatize anyone over nothing. Being perceived as high risk for doing a crime is not the same thing as doing a crime ... so I can see many would see this is as a troubling slippery slope. Workplace violence is a known problem. This would be something to address it.

As far as his double minority identity status, I don't doubt that impacted on his mental state and there is also no doubt the perp indeed had crossed the line into violent insanity. Whether he ever had any legitimate legal beefs with employers or not (I tend to doubt it) racism and homophobia in the USA are still real things so he wasn't imagining that ... but sadly he wasn't capable of dealing with it.

I do fear as the U.S. is a country with no national non-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation, that a high profile incident such as this may be seen by some employers as a rationalization to avoid hiring gay people. There are such legal protections already based on race. The next frontiers of the U.S. GLBT civil rights movement include lobbying for national non-discrimination protections in basic matters of employment and housing, etc. These horrible murders not only killed two and injured one ... his high profile acts will at least temporarily negatively impact a national civil rights movement. That is of course totally not fair ... that the acts of one insane person can be used this way ... but that's how I see it, they will.

Why shouldn't an employer simply be allowed to state, "this person is not a benefit to my company, they need to be fired."? It's unfortunate countries like the US are becoming more like New Zealand in considering the job to be the right of the employee, and requiring the employer go through a lengthy process to fire them.

For one, this violates the employer's right to control their company and workplace; after all they are the people taking the risk to create the company and are responsible for its success. It also hurts employees because it makes it costly and disadvantageous for employers to hire new employees; the net result is they hire fewer and there are fewer jobs created.

Case in point: the employer above went through a two year process, incurring considerable legal fees, to fire someone who was a workplace bully - he even used/abused federal discrimination laws to extend the process when he was clearly a risk as they always said.

You'll have to catch Al at 0800 only on Sunday mornings from now on.

Since Obama's regime is winding down. Al has been demoted from five days a week at 1700 to one day a week (Sunday) at 0800.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy.

We really must admire Miss Parker's father's composure and determination, when speaking to the cameras so soon after the murders, and saying that he'll do his best to cause a change in gun control laws.

Sadly, we all know that the chances are extremely slim that a significant change will occur in the near future.

Horrible video available on Liveleak.com

RIP the two crew.

nothing to see on this video, shots can be heard, reporter screaming, camera shaking and going to the ground, but no actual shooting pictures.

Edited by manarak

Unfortunately I watched it on youtube before they removed it. Terrible and tragic loss of lifes that never should have happened.

"Unfortunately i watched it on youtube before they removed it". Come on! Did you watch it by accident? Just came across it! So you didn't search for it then! HaHa. This was essentially a 'snuff movie', posted by a lunatic, secure in the knowledge that there are plenty of sickos out there who want to be entertained by this sort of thing. Sadly you are living proof of this. Please, spare us the "unfortunately" BS.

Actually I did watch it by an accident. I own a youtube channel where I post videos and I also watch a lot of news worthy videos , unfortunately the one I started watching had news pasted in the beginneing of the video before it changed to the raw footage.

And I hope never again.

Edited by balo

Interesting how Obama jumps to the media when POS losers like Terry Brown get shot, but says nothing when decent hard working people get killed for acrtual racial motivations. Terry Brown was not killed for premeditated racial reasons.

Interesting how Obama jumps to the media when POS losers like Terry Brown get shot, but says nothing when decent hard working people get killed for acrtual racial motivations.

Try to keep up.

'It breaks my heart every time': Obama reacts to shooting of Virginia TV reporter and cameraman as he says gun-related deaths 'dwarf those that happen through terrorism'

President Obama has revealed he was heartbroken when he learned a TV news reporter and a cameraman were shot dead during a live broadcast in Virginia.

He also slammed the number of gun-related homicides in the United States, adding that it 'dwarfs any deaths that happen through terrorism'.

Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, were gunned down by former employee of the CBS affiliate Vester Flanagan while filming an on-air, early morning segment.

The 41-year-old shot and wounded himself several hours later as police pursued him on a Virginia highway. He died later at the hospital, police said.

Speaking to ABC, Obama said: 'It breaks my heart every time you read or hear about these kinds of incidents.

Interesting how Obama jumps to the media when POS losers like Terry Brown get shot, but says nothing when decent hard working people get killed for acrtual racial motivations.

Try to keep up.

'It breaks my heart every time': Obama reacts to shooting of Virginia TV reporter and cameraman as he says gun-related deaths 'dwarf those that happen through terrorism'

President Obama has revealed he was heartbroken when he learned a TV news reporter and a cameraman were shot dead during a live broadcast in Virginia.

He also slammed the number of gun-related homicides in the United States, adding that it 'dwarfs any deaths that happen through terrorism'.

Alison Parker, 24, and Adam Ward, 27, were gunned down by former employee of the CBS affiliate Vester Flanagan while filming an on-air, early morning segment.

The 41-year-old shot and wounded himself several hours later as police pursued him on a Virginia highway. He died later at the hospital, police said.

Speaking to ABC, Obama said: 'It breaks my heart every time you read or hear about these kinds of incidents.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3211578/Two-Virginia-television-journalists-fatally-shot-air-attack.html#ixzz3k8fjvgUQ

Oh please, he uses this bs to push a political gun agenda, but says nothing about it being a horrible hate crime.

Did he denounce it as a hate crime? In Michael Brown he said ridiculous bs like it "stain the heart of black children" and went on and on about the issue being a black child killed by a white police officer.

He sent 3 aides to the thugs funeral. He used both the Michael Brown the Charleston church shooting to polarize and politicize racial tension . . . and all we get a is pathetic guns kill comment about this racial hate crime. Nope crazy blacks full of bigotry kill people.

Will Obama denounce any if the recent cop killings as hate crimes?

Did he say thai g about Kate Steinlee's death at the hands of an illegal immigrant? How the recent deaths of the husband and wife in front of the child at the hands of an illegal imigrant.

Nope. All we get from him is guns kill and nothing about the person pulling the trigger when it is a black person or illegal immigrants shooting whites in a hate crime. When however it is white on black he is all over the media and showing up at funerals.

This would actually be kind of funny if he hadn't turned out to be a murderer.

He clearly needed mental health care.

According to the New York Post, a cameraman who worked with Flanagan said Flanagan even declared that ­7-Eleven was racist because it sold watermelon-flavored Slurpees. "It’s not a coincidence, they’re racist," he allegedly told Trevor Fair.

http://www.sfgate.com/national/article/The-innocuous-words-that-enraged-Vester-Flanagan-6471628.php