Ex-Pheu Thai MP complains he is not allowed to open a bank account

webfact

Ex-Pheu Thai MP complains he is not allowed to open a bank account

BANGKOK: -- Former Pheu Thai MP Adisorn Piakgkate complained to the media on Friday that a state-owned bank had rejected his request to open a bank account claiming that he was classified as a “No 3 high risk” person.

Adisorn said he went to the Government Savings Bank’s Imperial Lat Phrao branch before noon Thursday to open savings account and met with an elderly female bank staff who handed him a sheet of paper identifying him as a politician of Number 3 high risk level.

The bank staff, he said, told him that the bank could not deal any transaction with him and could not open a bank account for him.

After Mr Adisorn broke the news to the media, the GSB quickly denied such practice, saying it was a misunderstanding on the part of the bank staff.

Mr Chartchai Payuhanavichai, the bank director, admitted that the bank staff at the Imperial Lat Phrao branch had refused to open the bank account for the ex-MP out of her misunderstanding of the bank’s regulation.

He explained that the Bank of Thailand and the Office of Anti-Money Laundering have required all banks to keep personal records of their customers who are classified in different groups, including political group.

Politicians are classified as No 3 high-risk group but there is no restriction against them to undertake transactions with the banks, said Mr Chartchai, adding that the GSB is open to deposits from all customers.

Adisorn later said that he had no grudges against the bank or its staff but felt disappointed why he could not deposit just 10,000 baht.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/ex-pheu-thai-mp-complains-he-is-not-allowed-to-open-a-bank-account

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-04

much ado about nothing, the staff got it wrong which does happen a lot here and he saw a way to get his name in the paper, why bother to even worry when you find out it was a simple mistake from someone that didnt understand the regulations. Nice to see that they have a list of people of ill repute listed with banks though.

much ado about nothing, the staff got it wrong which does happen a lot here and he saw a way to get his name in the paper, why bother to even worry when you find out it was a simple mistake from someone that didnt understand the regulations. Nice to see that they have a list of people of ill repute listed with banks though.

As you say, a mistake that happens all the time here.

Good on him to call them out on it, since a bank shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes a lot.

Wonder how the Politicians, Generals and high Ranking Police Officers explain their enormous wealth accumulated on a government salary to The Office of Anti-Money Laundering.

Didn't you hear the General after the "not-a-coup"? He, and those he appointed, are NOT subject to fiscal scrutiny. There will be no investigations as to how they all became multi-millionaires on their meager military salary. Oh, other than the fact that they all married rich girls.

Wonder how the Politicians, Generals and high Ranking Police Officers explain their enormous wealth accumulated on a government salary to The Office of Anti-Money Laundering.

With a small donation it can be explained

Oh, other than the fact that they all married rich girls.

Ah, so the rich girls aren't exclusively for ThaiVisa members. biggrin.png

Big brother is watching you. Even if you are taken a piss they have to know the about it. Now Khun Adisorn Piakgkate you know how a farang feels when they try to open an account.

Exactly my opinion too.

I was refused by Bangkok Bank and by Thai Military Bank.

When I asked a high ranking officer at Bangkok Bank why such a practice, i was told that this was all a misunderstanding.

Thai Military Bank told me openly that they don't accept farangs.

Now the Thais get a taste of their own tea. I can only show some "Schadenfreude", hehe.

I would have thought being an ex-Pheu Thai MP he would have been classified as No 1 high-risk group ! whistling.gif

MANGO BOB

Big brother is watching you. Even if you are taken a piss they have to know the about it. Now Khun Adisorn Piakgkate you know how a farang feels when they try to open an account.

BS BOB, just another example of the anti-government gang making up shit to discredit them.

Big Brother is not watching anyone, you would be lucky to find a CCTV in the Kingdom that actually works, and if it did it would not waste it's time watching you mate because you are no threat to anyone.

I have opened several bank accounts in Thailand in the last 10 years, the most recent one at the Bangkok Bank branch in Thaphae Road in Chiang Mai. Have never had any trouble opening an account, it must be you. clap2.gif

I think that the list(s) are probably equivalent to the ones in Europe of 'politically exposed people'. These will include government ministers, MPs, senior party officials and sometimes senior military and officials. Banks are supposed to maintain a closer watch on such accounts to guard against money laundering and/or corrupt payments. Stupid box-ticking and a royal pain in the arse for the banks (no money launderer of bribe-taker would be so dim as not to cover his tracks better than that) so many banks take the easy route - tell the punter to go elsewhere.

As you say, a mistake that happens all the time here.

Good on him to call them out on it, since a bank shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes a lot.

It sounds like a set up. Just to make a show that he is on a list as a high risk. Why else would a rich politician try to open a bank account with just 10k?

Completely agree. It is ridiculous isn't it? Thailand is actually becoming like Australia now.

I suppose we should accept it though lest we see Thailand on the top of the list of countries affiliated with money laundering because they did not screen their customers.

I agree with you though it is is sad, though a necessary evil.

I wonder if those "Turkish" suspects of the bombing had Thai bank accounts or Thai Sim cards which have to be registered now as well?

Edited by djjamie

WHY BOTHER AND RUN UP THE RED FLAG ON ONES SELF. i AM SURE THAT HE HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH UNDER HIS MATRESS OR IN HIS CLOSET.

BTW whatever happened to the ex transport minister who had his ill gotten gains stolen from inside his closet? Again another story that fades into the sunset.

MANGO BOB

BS BOB, just another example of the anti-government gang making up shit to discredit them.

Big Brother is not watching anyone, you would be lucky to find a CCTV in the Kingdom that actually works, and if it did it would not waste it's time watching you mate because you are no threat to anyone.

I have opened several bank accounts in Thailand in the last 10 years, the most recent one at the Bangkok Bank branch in Thaphae Road in Chiang Mai. Have never had any trouble opening an account, it must be you. clap2.gif

In typical TV style you have to make this into a personal attack.

Are you suggesting that no Farang has ever had a problem opening a bank account? There are enough "likes" on Bob's post to show that some people agree with what he has written which, because he has bolded it, seems mainly to refer to the opening of accounts.

Your comment about CCTV in the Kingdom would appear to be contradicted by the films of BKK bombing, numerous traffic videos online and even the KT murder case.

I am proud to say that I am no threat to anyone but I am sure CCTV installations continue to "waste time" filming me going happily about my daily life.

Completely agree. It is ridiculous isn't it? Thailand is actually becoming like Australia now.

I suppose we should accept it though lest we see Thailand on the top of the list of countries affiliated with money laundering because they did not screen their customers.

I agree with you though it is is sad, though a necessary evil.

I wonder if those "Turkish" suspects of the bombing had Thai bank accounts or Thai Sim cards which have to be registered now as well?

I have 3 Thai bank accounts, with 3 different banks, and have never had any problem opening any of them...

I can only presume you do not meet the very very basic requirements required by law for the opening of a Thai bank account.

I have never had a problem opening a bank account in Thailand and I have used the Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn Bank and the Bank of Ayuttha. Then again I have never caused a problem for Thai banks or for Thailand.

All he had to do was get his wife to open a joint account, but perhaps he didn't want her to know how much money he had.

MANGO BOB

Are you suggesting that no Farang has ever had a problem opening a bank account? There are enough "likes" on Bob's post to show that some people agree with what he has written which, because he has bolded it, seems mainly to refer to the opening of accounts.

Your comment about CCTV in the Kingdom would appear to be contradicted by the films of BKK bombing, numerous traffic videos online and even the KT murder case.

I am proud to say that I am no threat to anyone but I am sure CCTV installations continue to "waste time" filming me going happily about my daily life.

That was not a personal attack on MB. I am deeply offended ! You must be new around here if you thought such a thing. whistling.gif

Of course I am not suggesting that no Farang has ever had a problem opening a bank account. I had trouble opening one in Brisbane last year, and I was born there ! cheesy.gif

Don't be misled when it comes to how many "likes" a poster receives. I would be more concerned with who gave the likes, not the number of them.

I stand by what I said about the CCT cameras, and even Somyot the Great will back me up -

“The perpetrator was driving away escaping and there are CCTV cameras following him. Sometimes there were 20 cameras on the street but only five worked. Fifteen were broken. For whatever reason, they didn’t work,” said Somyot Poompanmoung."

http://www.ifsecglobal.com/broken-cctv-cameras-and-grainy-footage-undermine-bangkok-bombing-investigation/

And I am so glad you are no threat to anyone.

MANGO BOB

That was not a personal attack on MB. I am deeply offended ! You must be new around here if you thought such a thing. whistling.gif

Of course I am not suggesting that no Farang has ever had a problem opening a bank account. I had trouble opening one in Brisbane last year, and I was born there ! cheesy.gif

Don't be misled when it comes to how many "likes" a poster receives. I would be more concerned with who gave the likes, not the number of them.

I stand by what I said about the CCT cameras, and even Somyot the Great will back me up -

“The perpetrator was driving away escaping and there are CCTV cameras following him. Sometimes there were 20 cameras on the street but only five worked. Fifteen were broken. For whatever reason, they didn’t work,” said Somyot Poompanmoung."

http://www.ifsecglobal.com/broken-cctv-cameras-and-grainy-footage-undermine-bangkok-bombing-investigation/

And I am so glad you are no threat to anyone.

I doubt it, but if you were deeply offended by my post, I apologise. My purpose had been to try to point out how to avoid just such a thing. It seems I must learn from my own ideas.

Telling someone BS, saying that if they had trouble opening a bank account "it must be you" and that odd statement about CCTV all, in my estimation, add up to some kind of sleight or niggle even if you do not like the expression "personal attack".

So we are agreed. "You would be lucky to find a CCTV in the Kingdom that actually works" might be a bit of an exaggeration but it is apparently true from various reports that there are plenty that are out of service or are dummies.

So, back to TV style. I have been amused for sometime now that TV posters so often revert to the "must be new around here", "have not been here many years" or "obviously do not live here" and many other variations of time related belittling to try to strengthen their point. Although loosely connected, time alone, does not evidence knowledge, understanding etc. It is the persons experiences that, hopefully, builds these. Thankfully we do not all have the same experiences which is why we do not all agree on everything written in TV.

Enjoy your day "Arguing with village idiots on Thai related forums".