Help my electric meter has gone bananas!

Nikko36

It's even going when everything is shut down.

I'll try disconnecting all the breakers/groups tonight to see if it will still run like ti does when I just unplug all the gear.

If your meter goes round when everything in your unit is turned off then someone else is surely connected to your supply.

Forgive me if someone else has suggested this...as i did not read all the postings to your question...

I would like to suggest that if you live in an apartment or Condo...someone is purposely stealing your electricity...letting you pay their electric bill...

Have a certified technician check your electrical box input...someone else may be wired to your private electric meter...

If you are in a situation where the apartment or Condo management handles the electrical bills...it will be harder to trace down as someone in the building is letting you pay the bill...and most likely management is in on the ruse...

I would suggest the power company check for you....but I personally do not trust them either...wai2.gif

Good Luck!

I'm giving up guys, throwing the towel into the ring. It's even going when everything is shut down. I'm waiting for the mechanic next week.

I'll try disconnecting all the breakers/groups tonight to see if it will still run like ti does when I just unplug all the gear.

That is the way to check it... switch absolutely everything off and see if it stops spinning!

You seem to be getting confused with your calculations anyhow, your electricity will be billed per Kwh (kilowatt-hour, often called Units on the bill, which is 1Kw power used for an hour, or 2Kw for 30 min etc), ie energy, not power.

For example my average bill is around 500 Kwh each month.

There is a possibility there is something still connected to your meter even if you turn everything off, an electric shower, the AC, next door's sockets, the street lights? There is even a possibility there was an error at your old place or the charge rate (per KWh) was different. Those meters are quite robust, they can become inaccurate, but they will stop spinning if no current is being pulled. A clamp on ammeter which goes around the wires is a good device to help figure things out. But remember you will be dealing in amps then. From your meter the wires should go directly to your breaker box distribution, no splices. Then several breakers, all of which feed your apartment. Good luck.

Edited by jacko45k

Also can be that you have a fase to ground device, draining your amps...

Is it possible you/ve not a dishonest neighbor who's spliced onto your line?

He lives in Holland, the apartment is in Holland, the problem is in Holland...

coffee1.gif

solving european problems makes you gawn in Thailand...

LOts of debate! But if there really seems to be a problem then call the supply authority. At worst it will cost you the price of a new meter. I had one stop registering consumption for over 5 months! Finally got the guilts and told meter reader to have it checked.He had been assuming we were running off the neighbours house ( as many around here do) It was replaced free!