Doctors Without Borders: Afghan clinic bombed, 3 staff dead

Lite Beer

Doctors Without Borders: Afghan clinic bombed, 3 staff dead

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Three staff from Doctors Without Borders were killed and 30 were missing after an explosion near their hospital in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz that may have been caused by a U.S. airstrike.

In a statement, the international charity said the "sustained bombing" took place at 2:10 a.m. (2140 GMT). Afghan forces backed by U.S. airstrikes have been fighting to dislodge Taliban insurgents who overran Kunduz on Monday.

U.S. forces in Afghanistan said they conducted an airstrike on Kunduz at 2:15 a.m. The spokesman, U.S. Army Col. Brian Tribus, said the strike "may have resulted in collateral damage to a nearby medical facility" and that the incident was under investigation.

Doctors Without Borders said its trauma center "was hit several times during sustained bombing and was very badly damaged." At the time of the bombing, the hospital had 105 patients and their care-takers, and more than 80 international and Afghan staff were present, it said.

Adil Akbar, a doctor at the trauma center who was on duty at the time, told the Associated Press that the operating theater, emergency room and other parts of the hospital complex had been hit in the bombing.

"I managed to escape after attack but I know that most of the staff and even some of the patients are missing," he said.

The number of dead and missing was provided by the charity. Sarwar Hussaini, the spokesman for the Kunduz provincial police chief, could not immediately confirm the number of casualties.

Doctors Without Borders said they had treated 394 people wounded in fighting since the Taliban attacked the city. Afghan forces went in on Thursday, and fighting has been going on as government troops try to clear the city of insurgents.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-10-03

Three aid workers killed in an air strike on a a hospital in Afghanistan

Three aid workers from the medical group Medecins Sans Frontieres have died after an air stike hit a clinic in Afghanistan.

MSF said another 30 staff were unaccounted for after the bombardment on the hospital in the northern city of Kunduz, which has been the scene of recent heavy fighting between Taliban and Afghan forces supported by NATO.

In a statement the group said the incident was an “aerial attack” but it is still unclear if it was carried out by Afghan or US forces.

A NATO spokesman is reported as saying the incident is under investigation.

Clashes have been going on the the northern provincial capital since the Taliban took control of the city a week ago.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-10-03

the strike "may have resulted in collateral damage to a nearby medical facility"

I'm behind my country in trying to rid the world of terrorists because they can't just be ignored. Ignore them and they will come back 10-fold to kill us...but...

It's inexcusable in this day of satellite and drone technology that the US government can make this kind of mistake. Whoever was in charge of this operation and whoever supplied the information or lack thereof needs to be prosecuted.

Why in the name of Satan can this happen,,,The Us is proud that they can drop bombs with PIN POINT accurasy Within a room of a building,,So WHY<>T<>Deleted<> are they not using that pin point accuracy bombing,,,or are the pilots and their crew so doped up ((like in previous wars around the planet ))that they don't know what they are doing.

Very sad that humanitarian volunteers die.

Very sad that the US just shrugs off "collateral damage".

These deaths are by FAR not the first from US friendly fire. Cowboy culture, gun culture.

Yeehaa.

But at the same time tries to tear strips off the Russians for doing similar things....hypercrites.... waiting for the rebuttal....but you dont understand Putin is the anti-christ....;)

US go home

And when Europe resembles Afghanistan, who you gonna call ¿¿¿

I dont believe Afghanistan is in Europe. But the US did more than ask for help there.

When Europe decides on going to war in Afghanistan Im sure they wont ask the US to support them just to keep you happy. Even though the US begs and basically threatens other countries to help them.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Biblical quotes - seriously???
It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but let's face it nobody comes out of aerial bombardment operations without some mishaps. This is not to say there shouldn't be an investigation as to what went wrong. I also suspect we will find many of those who most vociferously condemn the U.S tacitly support terrorist groups who actually intended to cause civilian casualties rather than doing so by accident.

Why not more people have gone to war and been killed over religion than any other reason in the history of mankind

Agreed - religious zealotry is a nasty thing no matter who is using it to justify their actions.

It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but let's face it nobody comes out of aerial bombardment operations without some mishaps. This is not to say there shouldn't be an investigation as to what went wrong. I also suspect we will find many of those who most vociferously condemn the U.S tacitly support terrorist groups who actually intended to cause civilian casualties rather than doing so by accident.

What makes you so sure that the bombing of the hospital in Kunduz was just an accident?

What makes you so sure that the bombing of the hospital in Kunduz was just an accident?
Because only the most rabid orientalist, or leftist for that matter routinely ascribes moral equivalence to Western democracies as they do terrorist organizations and third world theocratic hell holes.

BS, an attack on civilians is a terrorist act by definition. The USA should declare war if they start a war.

The Taliban were already about to be defeated in Kunduz. Now the Afghans have a common enemy again, that will be the result of this megalomaniac act.

US go home

Interesting observation, however seems to me the only way Europe will look like Afghanistan is if the US finally provokes their war with Russia... on European soil of course.

That aside, "collateral damage" , don't you love the way they dehumanise killing people. Dropping bombs innocent people will always die, but at least call it what it is.

US go home

I dont believe Afghanistan is in Europe. But the US did more than ask for help there.

When Europe decides on going to war in Afghanistan Im sure they wont ask the US to support them just to keep you happy. Even though the US begs and basically threatens other countries to help them.

Just memories from the World Wars, il remember when I'm on my Soapbox about USA Bashing, when you start Balling about why doesn't anybody help us, Good Luck EURABIA...

Taliban were using it for cover...

Taliban were using it for cover...

Which is refuted by MSF staff at the hospital, besides which there is the law of warfare under the rules of 'proportional response'. Adding to the tragedy is the hospital was the only one in the Province equipped and staffed to deal with major trauma, so undoubtedly there will be many more deaths as an outcome of the attack.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/article/msf-response-spurious-claims-kunduz-hospital-was-taliban-base

MSF have now decided to withdraw from Kunduz.

A "mishap" is when you spill your drink, hardly a description of multiple intentional killings.

This interpretation is psychopathic.