60-year-old Belgian man found hanged in Patong resort bathroom had financial troubles

webfact

60-year-old Belgian man found hanged in Patong resort bathroom had financial troubles, police told by man's Thai wife
Eakkapop Thongtub

1446370066_1.jpg

PHUKET: -- Police do not suspect foul play in the death of a 60-year-old Belgian national who was found hanged in a Patong resort bathroom this morning.

Pol Lt Col Jongserm Preecha of the Kathu Police recieved a call at 10.20am this morning that a westerner was thought to have killed himself in the bathroom of a three-story resort on Pra Baramee Soi 3 Rd.

When police arrived to the scene with rescue workers, the body of the shirtless heavy-set man was still sitting on the toilet with a rope still wrapped around his neck, which was attached to a window overhead.

Police questioned a 30-year-old Thai woman who claimed to be the man's wife and the one who found his body. She told them that the man had been stressed over financial problems and was drinking before the two got into a fight ending with him kicking her out of the room.

She claimed she found his body in the room upon returning. Police did not clarify the length of time between her leaving and returning to the room.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/60-year-old-belgian-man-found-hanged-in-patong-resort-bathroom-had-financial-troubles-police-told-by-man-thai-wife-54774.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-02

Yawn......so whats new in Phuket or Pattaya. Silly western foreigners are so so common these days in these places. Silly in business ventures and silly in their personal affairs. RIP to the deceased anyway.And I hope that others will learn not to make the same mistakes.

I am 65 and thinking of moving to Thailand, land of SMILES......i find gf on website, she is 23 and will make me feel young and love life....

I get it, I'm being mean.....and i know suicides happen everywhere. But there are some farangs reading this that need to really wake up and see the dark side that MIGHT realistically happen to them.

The grass is NOT greener in Thailand......you need to be pretty stable in your home country first.

i won't write more....i can see this getting deleted. I feel bad for this guy's family.....RIP for sure.....I'm just sick of seeing this over and over...who isn't?

.....funny...but not...sick actually.....

....he has the problems....she has the benefits.....

...when are they going to do something about this phenomenon.....

...it is not a marriage...it is not a partnership....it is a bilk....until the guy cannot take it any more....

...and let us speculate about their love life......

....she 'love'd the 'handsome man'......until she did not have to pretend any more....

....at least half the asets should go to his other relatives....

...what a sick bullsh*t connivance.....

...human rights.....

I am 65 and thinking of moving to Thailand, land of SMILES......i find gf on website, she is 23 and will make me feel young and love life....

I get it, I'm being mean.....and i know suicides happen everywhere. But there are some farangs reading this that need to really wake up and see the dark side that MIGHT realistically happen to them.

The grass is NOT greener in Thailand......you need to be pretty stable in your home country first.

i won't write more....i can see this getting deleted. I feel bad for this guy's family.....RIP for sure.....I'm just sick of seeing this over and over...who isn't?

Loving 65 old farang and loving 23 year old Thai wife.clap2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by jalansanitwong

"was still sitting on the toilet with a rope still wrapped around his neck, which was attached to a window overhead". HOW do you hang yourself while sitting on the bog,i thought weight had to be involved. RIP

If you have a bit of a read about suicide by hanging

, semi suspended is a very common way to do it.

If you read the full article you will find this pertinent information:

"The woman told police the man had invested in three restaurants in Patong and due to financial issues was unable to continue to pay the restaurant's expenses and workers wages.

Letters found in the room addressed to a restaurant manager and the woman appeared to verify the intention of suicide."

It would appear the man's problems were more about overcommitting himself financially in a volatile market rather then marital.

All the tired and idiotic attacks on local expats and their wives, by the usual Scunthorpe crowd, are even less relevant than normal here.

Could we please at least try to "not fantasize" about the circumstances surrounding this mans demise, and maybe take it easy on his Thai partner as well?

I will break one of my own rules, I will speculate that not one of you knows this man or his partner, not one of you will know what their relationship was like and whether it was good, bad or indifferent.

Not one of you has enough information or knowledge to allow you to post disparaging or critical remarks about either one of them.

An extremely sad start to the week with another tragic loss of an individual.

Commiserations and condolences to his family and friends...

My first Thai gf was classy, a hard-working, MA-educated government officer in the education ministry. Late forties, pretty and sexy when I knew her. (I was 60.) This is the way to go. Sorry to sound arrogant but most of the older farangs look like such a mess, all fat and bald and poorly dressed. Shape up a bit and you can do better DELETED.

"The woman told police the man had invested in three restaurants in Patong and due to financial issues was unable to continue to pay the restaurant's expenses and workers wages.

Letters found in the room addressed to a restaurant manager and the woman appeared to verify the intention of suicide."

It would appear the man's problems were more about overcommitting himself financially in a volatile market rather then marital.

All the tired and idiotic attacks on local expats and their wives, by the usual Scunthorpe crowd, are even less relevant than normal here.

Now you have gone and ruined a great story Old Croc----- A man makes bad financial decisions and decides to take this way out. Of course its the Thai girls fault---she is 23, we could have spent pages here & hours in the bar discussing how bad Thailand & Thai women are if you hadn't spoilt it all with facts.

............................. Please don't do it again.................coffee1.gif

Yawn......so whats new in Phuket or Pattaya. Silly western foreigners are so so common these days in these places. Silly in business ventures and silly in their personal affairs. RIP to the deceased anyway.And I hope that others will learn not to make the same mistakes.

The system we adhere to and live in..is the mistake.

If you have a bit of a read about suicide by hanging

, semi suspended is a very common way to do it.

i have a personal experience of hanging due to extreme depression,i was saved by a barking dog

Dogs are not all bad then, well done that dog- hope you treated him

Give me silly any day....much nicer than rude and bad manners.

I know farangs who have been in this type of financial situation. Unfortunately its always up to the foreigner to pay the bills. Their wives rarely -if ever- tip in any rescue money probably because they dont have any or if they did (land deeds) theyre not going to share it with him.

Ive seen it for 16 years in Thailand. Old farangs marrying young girls or women and doing their nuts.

I wont do it.

I dont take any of these old farang &Thai wife marriages seriously.

PS..... Phuket is always a very busy island, or so the media says. Why are so many businesses going bust down there.?

I have a business premises in Bangkok...7500 b /month. I get the impression rents and deposits in Phuket are astronomical and wages up to double. Thais dont like working for farangs for 300 baht a day. Double it ? Stolen stock wont help either.

Food is also a huge problem in the tropics...it goes off quickly expecially beef and vegetables. You basically have to throw it out. You have to really be on the ball running a restaurant here.

Now you have gone and ruined a great story Old Croc----- A man makes bad financial decisions and decides to take this way out. Of course its the Thai girls fault---she is 23, we could have spent pages here & hours in the bar discussing how bad Thailand & Thai women are if you hadn't spoilt it all with facts.

............................. Please don't do it again.................coffee1.gif

Police questioned a 30-year-old Thai woman who claimed to be the man's wife and the one who found his body.

I know Asian women often look younger than they are but I doubt she look like she was 23.

Sad and IMO financial pressures here seem to affect a lot of expats.

Who knows the cause? perhaps lack of business nous, lack of planning and backing capital, perhaps trying to run a business(s) at the behest of a Thai woman, or perhaps he has fallen foul of the recent downturn/slack period here......the list could be just about endless.

The downturn in Patong has affected many businesses as has been mentioned so many times on the "Patong is dead" thread, yet as businesses closed because they were not making any money, someone else comes along and opens them up again and almost always with a Thai partner in tow.

As a matter of interest, does anybody know what restaurants he owned?

Whatever the cause, not a good way to go, RIP.

Sad and IMO financial pressures here seem to affect a lot of expats.

Who knows the cause? perhaps lack of business nous, lack of planning and backing capital, perhaps trying to run a business(s) at the behest of a Thai woman, or perhaps he has fallen foul of the recent downturn/slack period here......the list could be just about endless.

The downturn in Patong has affected many businesses as has been mentioned so many times on the "Patong is dead" thread, yet as businesses closed because they were not making any money, someone else comes along and opens them up again and almost always with a Thai partner in tow.

As a matter of interest, does anybody know what restaurants he owned?

Whatever the cause, not a good way to go, RIP.

Good post - why have 3 restuarants and not make enough money to pay staff and rent ? Could be because of the recent downturn, but high season is just starting and if he had good locations then money would flow in.

I for sure would not top myself if business was failing. Just bail out of it and if he had no back-up plan here in Thailand then go home to the social security net in Belgium.

My respects to all of his familly and friends.