New rules about driving license form January 2016

nasa123

From January 2016, all that will have a driving license in Thailand Car or motorbike must, sit in school for 8 hours, and finish with a test of 100 questions and must have correct 95%.

So if some one will have driver license You must take the test before January 2016 when the new rules come into force. crying.gif

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please state your source. There have been changes implemented recently already.

I renewed my driver's license yesterday in Phuket (5 years) and then they informed all Farang about the new rules from January 2016.

As if you forget and renew your driving license then you must at school 8 hours and a test of 100 questions and where you MUST have 95% correct crying.gif , but remember you can renew the driver license 3 months before it expires, i do that last day to. wai2.gif

I renewed my driver's license yesterday in Phuket (5 years) and then they informed all Farang about the new rules from January 2016.

As if you forget and renew your driving license then you must at school 8 hours and a test of 100 questions and where you MUST have 95% correct crying.gif , but remember you can renew the driver license 3 months before it expires, i do that last day to. wai2.gif

so it's an unofficial source.

He said he renewed his licence. Unless you can do that at 7/11 now then he was at the Land transport office. They are the ones that issue DL's so official. No?

So if you forget to renew your license on time and therefore don't have one you have to retake the full test is that what your saying.

Source please (maybe there is).

The rules have already been changed (was it this year or end of last year?) to 50 questions, 45 to be correct, 90%.

I had to sit for a whole office day in a morning and afternoon session to listen to lengthy lectures and watching a boring video.

So the 8h sit in does not sound like new to me.

Theory test next morning.

Had 47 correct, passed.

That was in July this year (2015) for motorcycle license.

100 questions, 95 correct? The Thais already have to struggle hard to match the 45 q. (90%) limit.

And the test duration would reach an unbearable length.

As far as I remember they have already up to 2 (!) h for the 50 questions?

Just checked: the last change to 50 q. with 45 correct was on June 1st, 2014.

BTW: for Thais there is a pool of 1000 (!) questions from which 50 are selected for the test.

In English the pool consists of only 90 (!) questions.

post-99794-0-20848000-1448080105_thumb.j

Edited by KhunBENQ

He said he renewed his licence. Unless you can do that at 7/11 now then he was at the Land transport office. They are the ones that issue DL's so official. No?

For me hearing it at one DLT in Phuket doesn't make it official. As long as it's not in an official release it stays unofficial to me.

You can buy an International Drivers License on line and avoid that problem.

Also I doubt that will apply to renewing a Thai License for a foreigner.

An International Licence needs to be purchased in your home country and accompanies your valid DL for that country allowing you to drive internationally for a specified time of normally 12 months. Buying on line at costs Ive seen advertised 2-3K baht are worthless pieces of plastic.

Take a call to the Office where you get your Driver license and ask them.

The rules have already been changed (was it this year or end of last year?) to 50 questions, 45 to be correct, 90%.

I had to sit for a whole office day in a morning and afternoon session to listen to lengthy lectures and watching a boring video.

Had 47 correct, passed.

100 questions, 95 correct? The Thais already have to struggle hard to match the 45 q. (90%) limit.

BTW: for Thais there is a pool of 1000 (!) questions from which 50 are selected for the test.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

Like a say from January 1. 2016. NEW ROULS. They tell every Farang and Thai last day (when we se this movie we se every time we want new license) , from next year it`s be more strict and difficult to take Driving license in Thailand, and if you forget to renew you must take the school and new test, what more can a say.

You se 1 January 2016 what happend.

Had 47 correct, passed.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

Like a say from January 1. 2016. NEW ROULS. They tell every Farang and Thai last day (when we se this movie we se every time we want new license) , from next year it`s be more strict and difficult to take Driving license in Thailand, and if you forget to renew you must take the school and new test, what more can a say.

Nothing new. And I will bet you that 'if you forget you have to resit' only applies if you forget 1year plus.

Edited by stevenl

Had 47 correct, passed.

attachicon.gif50q.jpg

There's a moral to this story (/post), don't forget to renew your license before it expires and you can easily avoid the new requirements. Doesn't seem all that hard to set a calendar note in your phone to alert you of upcoming expiration date.

You can apply for an IDP at the land transport department of all provinces. A few years ago tyou had to go to Bangkok to do so.

BTW, what's so difficult to obtain a Thai drivers license? With, or without a test.'

There're so many foreigners who believe that they can use their dl from their country of origin, but complain about Thais not having one?

I've just renewed mine and I also had to watch the boring movie for about 90 minutes, do the eye and reaction test for pregnant hamsters.

Edited by lostinisaan

My story is not about (forgotten) renewal but simply about a new motorcycle license that I didn't have.

Tutoring/video is much more extensive than for renewal, stretching over a whole day.

And the theory test is nothing that you will be confronted on renewal.

You can apply for an IDP at the land transport department of all provinces. A few years ago tyou had to go to Bangkok to do so.

BTW, what's so difficult to obtain a Thai drivers license? With, or without a test.'

There're so many foreigners who believe that they can use their dl from their country of origin, but complain about Thais not having one?

I've just renewed mine and I also had to watch the boring movie for about 90 minutes, do the eye and reaction test for pregnant hamsters.

An IDP obtained here would only be possible if you already have a Thai license, in which case you wouldn't need an IDP to drive in Thailand.

If you want an IDP to cover driving in Thailand, that would have to be obtained in the country that you have a full driving licence for already.

They have already enforced these rules as of three months ago in my province, in central Isaan. Everybody takes the class.

However, locals tell me they can avoid all the hassle for 500B shoved under the table.

Edited by Fookhaht

Do all immigration offices, Ampuers or any other government offices all practice the same rules. The answer is NO!. It is an unofficial source.

Do all immigration offices, Ampuers or any other government offices all practice the same rules. The answer is NO!. It is an unofficial source.

Online, you will get nothing more than an IDP. That gets you nothing.

I give you a picture of my new renewing driver license 5 Year, i have Thai driver license for 6 year now.

Online, you will get nothing more than an IDP. That gets you nothing.

I give you a picture of my new renewing driver license 5 Year, i have Thai driver license for 6 year now.

Huh? Is someone using the Google translator?

One Post Edited - providing personal details.

On a public website, always a good idea to remain anonymous. Who knows which Wacko is reading this. You have provided your picture and your name - never a good thing.

Forum Rule -

20) You will not post any member's personal information including emails, personal messages, photos
or web site details.
Advertising, sponsors, user accounts

This is for your own protection.