The abandoned condo building at bali hai pier on google

Howitzer

3 hours ago, kevkev1888 said:

They should let the developers finish it, with the proviso that they develop and maintain the area from there to the lighthouse as a public area.

Could be a really nice area.

They should either finish it or knock it down, it looks terrible as it is. Why does it take 2 years to make a decision?

4 hours ago, johng said:

Yes it could be very nice.... the whole Bali Hai area,

and it was  quite nice  before the automatic parking garage and failed  "marina"

Looks like the "nice men in green" have cleared the area because they want to use it for an upcoming "international regatta" event what happens after that  is anyone's guess.

I hate to tell the guys in green that Pattaya bay is far to shallow to

handle huge war ships unless they are way out there...

The war ships will not be any where near the shore thats for damm sure..

At low tide you can even walk quite a ways out into the ocean...lol

The only views of the ships they will have from the grand stands

is with their high powered binoculars... 

Edited by fforest1

12 hours ago, johng said:

Looks like the "nice men in green" have cleared the area because they want to use it

for an upcoming "international regatta" event what happens after that  is anyone's guess.

If it was the case, they wouldn't have destroy the boat launch ramp yesterday,

because now it will be *very* difficult to access this park from the sea, or the sea from the park...

On 11/2/2016 at 10:16 AM, Henryford said:

They should either finish it or knock it down, it looks terrible as it is. Why does it take 2 years to make a decision?

The 80% complete Sathorn Unique in Bangkok has had 49 empty floors since 1997. Maybe the Bali Hai tower is going for the new record?

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 10:38 AM, KittenKong said:

Now that I would brave the holiday traffic to see.

They would probably botch a controlled demolition and destroy Bali Hai Peer.:D

That's a pretty high building. On closer examination I counted 48 floors - could be 50.

On 02/11/2016 at 10:27 PM, Pattaya46 said:

If it was the case, they wouldn't have destroy the boat launch ramp yesterday,

because now it will be *very* difficult to access this park from the sea, or the sea from the park...

They destroyed the boat launch ramp to stop the pleasure boats from sneaking back and using it. The regatta is for Asean navies and the area will be used as hospitality area; not for launching destroyers!

• Like 1

Knocking it down, I just do not see it happening      ...though it should be.

I remember the building that is the Jomtien Thani (Jomtien Soi 5), they stopped building it during the Asian financial crisis (1997) no activity for years, then there was VT7, all got built in the end.

• Like 1

It demands expert expertise dynamiting those high risers without destroying anything nearby. 

Several companies in the US can do it, for a fee.

If the Thais wants to do it themselves, I want to stay min 1 km away.  

That Sathorn building in BKK must be getting dangerous sitting for so many years with no windows/no maintenance. 

Just now, guzzi850m2 said:

It demands expert expertise dynamiting those high risers without destroying anything nearby. 

Several companies in the US can do it, for a fee.

If the Thais wants to do it themselves, I want to stay min 1 km away.  

That Sathorn building in BKK must be getting dangerous sitting for so many years with no windows/no maintenance. 

Just ask George W, he's an expert at demolishing high rise blocks. WT7 came down in it's own footprint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wondered what this thread was referring to till I realized it was a zombie thread. While staying in Pattaya recently I had an excellent view of the building in question. IMO, no other building better epitomises Pattaya of today, a totally in your face example of greed over common sense.

I've said it before, but I still think anyone that bought a place in that antisocial, view destroying project deserve to lose every satang they put into it.

I reckon the place will look like that in 20 years  but finished,  maybe a bit shorter in hight.  The views will be zero from other areas,   unless you bought one  of the many to come  beach front sky scrapers,    as that's what will happen.

The resent hissy fit from people is just that,   a hissy fit.   

Get used to it,     it will all get developed  by the greedy,   it will only benefit them.

Some big hotel chain will claim the beach out front as there own. and so on and on.

This is pattaya,   situation normal. :jap:

Is walking street still there ? or was it demolished 5 days ago ? :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang

4 hours ago, Hal65 said:

View be damned, projects like this are what keep rental rates so low and the women so cheap.

No. You might compare those prices in Thai cities with no such projects. You can make other arguments, but all will be invalid for the reason below.

Hopefully it will finish and hover around 50% occupancy

Too late. The vast TVF Hive Mind, composed mainly of renters,

Hive-Mind-Clean2.jpeg

has agreed that the view is all-important and that the project was sigh! just another white elephant from the start--as are all projects built after 1995. :)

Personally I think they should finish and then on the back, on the upper floors, simply create a trompe-l'œil, or put up a giant video screen, showing the missing part of the view from the hill. Sorted!

8 hours ago, Hal65 said:

View be damned, projects like this are what keep rental rates so low and the women so cheap. Hopefully it will finish and hover around 50% occupancy

Women so cheap

Wow, mongers must be earning so much now to be thinking that. Having been off the market for over 8 years I was astounded as to what they were asking now. Can't give specific prices ( due to TV rules ), but it certainly wasn't what I'd call cheap.

Considering that I can still find food and accomodation in Pattaya at basically the same price as 20 years ago, a 100 to150% increase in 8 seems excessive.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎05‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 3:22 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Yes, about 50 floors.

Uneasy to count at the bottom (big ones) and at the top (in terraces)

246.jpg

Had it been limited in height so those on the view point could see over the top it would be finished already.

However, greed won over civility and here we are.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Women so cheap

Wow, mongers must be earning so much now to be thinking that. Having been off the market for over 8 years I was astounded as to what they were asking now. Can't give specific prices ( due to TV rules ), but it certainly wasn't what I'd call cheap.

Considering that I can still find food and accomodation in Pattaya at basically the same price as 20 years ago, a 100 to150% increase in 8 seems excessive.

Wait til you see the prices in the west then. It's all relative, to be frank I wish they were even cheaper!

While the junta is in control (decisions can be made quicker)-let's hope some kind of decision is made. Sad, if it becomes a "ghost icon" like the empty, unfinished building next to Thaksin Skytrain station in Bkk.  (Now, it is too late to finish the deteriorated building and too expensive to tear down, that eyesore will be standing there forever -the one in Bkk.)

NOTE: When the junta was investigating the project last year it was interesting to note that Pattaya City Hall authorities acted like they had no idea about the height or land encroachment. Reading between the lines, the former mayor must have been benefited from some "under the table" benefits.

Edited by toenail
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, johng said:

Latest news is the developers   have suggested  lopping off the top 8 floors as a way of bringing the build ( more) into line with the permit

and enabling the project to finish.

Is that just chatter or can some source be cited? I recall that reducing the height has been mentioned in the past along with the problems with the 'wrong' amount of elevators and the 'wrong' ratio of leasehold versus freehold units whenever the issue of the 'wrong' approval and 'wrong' appeal procedures are mentioned.

Edited by NanLaew

Yes there where apparently quite a few  things that  where not built to the building  permit specification, presumably  that's why its been stopped for so long.

IMHO they should be made to remove the floors ( 17-18 floors) until its level with the top of the hill behind and not obstructing the view point.

source of news

https://www.facebook.com/PattayaWatchdog/

http://www.posttoday.com/local/east/467434

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johng said:

Latest news is the developers   have suggested  lopping off the top 8 floors as a way of bringing the build ( more) into line with the permit

and enabling the project to finish.

According to a letter I saw, unless anything has changed in the last month or so, it is 5 floors.  Apparently City Hall has accepted this, subject to the developer's plan to remove the 5 floors, but there are some outstanding issues relating to the car park.

15 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

According to a letter I saw, unless anything has changed in the last month or so, it is 5 floors.  Apparently City Hall has accepted this, subject to the developer's plan to remove the 5 floors, but there are some outstanding issues relating to the car park.

...then it will be the elevators again.

...or the freehold/leasehold split.

There's a whole bunch of new fingers getting into this pie.

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe a solution for the 'car park' issue mentioned earlier.

As of this morning a huge " H " has been painted in white slap in the middle of that vacated area and there is a big navy helicopter sitting on it. there are  navy or army guys sitting around everywhere making sure nobody goes near it.

20 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

As of this morning a huge " H " has been painted in white slap in the middle of that vacated area and there is a big navy helicopter sitting on it. there are  navy or army guys sitting around everywhere making sure nobody goes near it.

- You mean the empty car lot next to the "H" building? -- a helicopter has to land instead of driving the big boys to the area? mmmm- I wonder what the  navy is planning?