British backpacker Grace Taylor missing in Thailand

webfact

Sticky boy on twitter says she's been found at krabi airport

Link in Thai http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=1456204871

My written Thai is limited but it looks to me like she is not currently found, but rather it has been confirmed she was in the airport and that airport staff interacted with her/noticed her. Not clear to me that she is currently there nor that her current whereabouts are known.

Still, just confirmation that she reached the airport is good news, rules out some things and narrows down the search.

The article also appears to confirm that she is obviously disoriented. Psychotic break or influence of drugs (whether consumed intentionally or given to her unawares) seem likely. Which makes her vulnerable. Hopefully the airport authorities will assist the family and she will be found soon. Should be enough CCTV footage in that airport to be able to track whether she left it and if so by what means.

my gf says the article says she was interviewed by the cops, refused to talk with any male officers and then ran out of the police station blowing a whistle and behaving in a very distressed manner...?

Wow the story is getting altered by the minute

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite a leap! Now she's a drug addict who needs hospitalization ?

Nobody, especially her parents said she was as a drug addict. It's possible to become a drug addict in one day??

News report is Thailand she was missing, she mentioned to her parents she was concerned for her welfare, it was reported she was disorientated and now she's show up at the airport she was headed for.

It could have been food poisoning from some bad salmon mousse.

Backpackers & drugs & alcohol are a recipe for disaster ................................................

She has been found .... but may need to go to a detoxification hospital if she's a drug addict.

probably a big night on the booze didn't help. Wasted resources as i'm sure Interpol and RTP have more important work to attend.

salmon mousse? bloody hell krabis gone up in the world since i last went in 2004!

update

https://www.facebook.com/sam.taylor.98478/posts/10205057255424205?fref=nf

"Grace Taylor made it to Krabi airport apparently around 8.30/9.30 Thai time however she didn't board the flight. Krabi airport isn't 24 hours and there are no hotels nearby, it is a small unmanned and remote airport. Where is Grace?"[/quote

It's a small unmanned,remote airport and doesn't operate 24 hours".

It's a small airport that part is correct. It is operating 24 hours and here are some of last nights flights. Obviously it's a lot busier during the daytime and early evening. In a story like this facts are not important though so please ignore them.

Unmanned perhaps, most of the staff have been lobotomized. Remote? Not at all.

All's well that ends well. She can get some treatment and move on with her life. A much better outcome here than could have been the case. If she's sick or silly, or both, so be it. Mistakes are made, illnesses suffered ...and there but for the grace of God.

She should be charged for wasting my time and that of the police.

As an adult the only time she wasted was her own.

Somehow I suspect we can look forward to a 'synchronized point' from the entire police station within a few hours...

If she was fearful of the officers, I'm not sure that would be a good idea.

Waste of time reading this thread.

Another tourist of diminished responsibility. After watching that BBC series on Suwarnabhumi airport, my general opinion on humanity - not just British tourists - has taken a dive.

Absolutely,

To have your opinion on humanity based on a heavily edited and dramatized TV program, shows a great deal of intelligence.

My opinion of humanity went down after watching CSI there are so many evil killers about.

Thank you for those comments, I certainly won't be travelling in drag after your wise counsel. I assume that females might be able to travel alone if they forsake the back pack and take a suitcase. Is that right?

It is a pity that Nellie Bligh, Amelia Earhart, Margaret Moth, Laura Decker and Annie Londonderry to name a few solo female travelers weren't privy to your sage advice.

Excuse me, but why do single woman come to a third world country and think you can mingle, backpack and wonder the countryside safety by yourself without using common sense. Hopefully, she's fine and did partying away from mom and dad (21),

I don't see any reason why a 21 year old shouldn't travel to anywhere in the world.

Remember equality ? Anyone can do whatever they want. People sometimes get into trouble, that's life.

When things go wrong I'd like to think that people in the local area will help out. If someone in trouble was spotted in the Hua Hin area where I'm located then I would help out as much as I could within reason.

Should not travel alone (with a backpack) as a woman. Please don't use the equality card. Seems like you haven't been around.

Sticky boy on twitter says she's been found at krabi airport

Link in Thai http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=1456204871

My written Thai is limited but it looks to me like she is not currently found, but rather it has been confirmed she was in the airport and that airport staff interacted with her/noticed her. Not clear to me that she is currently there nor that her current whereabouts are known.

Still, just confirmation that she reached the airport is good news, rules out some things and narrows down the search.

The article also appears to confirm that she is obviously disoriented. Psychotic break or influence of drugs (whether consumed intentionally or given to her unawares) seem likely. Which makes her vulnerable. Hopefully the airport authorities will assist the family and she will be found soon. Should be enough CCTV footage in that airport to be able to track whether she left it and if so by what means.

my gf says the article says she was interviewed by the cops, refused to talk with any male officers and then ran out of the police station blowing a whistle and behaving in a very distressed manner...?

Your girlfriend reads Thai very well - her English is very good too!

It is pretty clear from all reports, including the last one, that she is unwell.

It has been posted that she suffers from bi-polar disorder which can cause psychosis. This means she could be experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations as well as paranoid delusions...........No drink or drugs required!

+1

Too many big words for many posters in this thread though.

thumbsup.gif

Pleased of course....and no doubt she has had a time .... of sorts.

However, it's stupid of her parents to condone such utter idiocy as to let a girl ( without worldly experience ) Backpack ALONE.

Causing Panic after only a few days in which she was high on something or someone!

thumbsup.gif

However, it's stupid of her parents to condone such utter idiocy as to let a girl ( without worldly experience ) Backpack ALONE.

Causing Panic after only a few days in which she was high on something or someone!

She's a 21 year old woman, not a child. It's not a case of her parents letting her do anything.

thumbsup.gif

Shameful innit. parents of adults letting them walk around in the world making their own decisions. BTW, did you ask your mother if it's OK to use her internet.

Krabi Local, could you contact me privately, I'd like some more information if I may to use (anonymously) in my ebook about tips for traveling to and living in Thailand.

Any place is dangerous, and Thailand is on-the-whole one of the safer destinations if you keep your wits about you. The problem is that any place you're not familiar with can be deadly and, especially when you're in a holiday mood you tend to relax your guard and do stupid things sometimes.

I'm extremely relieved that Grace was found. Contrary to what many posters here have written (many of which are unnecessarily cruel comments), disaster can strike anyone at any time. My daughter (same age) got struck with encephalitis when in Malaysia (probably picked it up on the plane!), luckily she got home in time Actually, I found her catatonic, outdoors, and rushed her to hospital. She ended up in hospital on her next trip overseas, she passed out in a shopping center and was rushed to the local A&E. Very unlucky. I thought it was a relapse of encephalitis. Similar symptoms but completely unrelated. It turns out she'd been drinking too much water (just water, can you believe it!?). Low sodium levels in your blood causes disorientation and seizures. It can be deadly if not treated correctly.

I've also had some close shaves that could easily have ended up in disaster. And I know several friends who've ended up seriously ill (in one case dead) for anything from a stupid lapse of judgement to water on the road to some other idiot driving too fast on the road to a dog coming out of nowhere to bite you on the leg.

And we're not all psychologically balanced either. Going on a trip can bring things to the surface that is kind of manageable at home (because of routines, habits, familiar surroundings, etc.) Heck, I'm a stable person, but I've occasionally flipped and got into potentially dangerous (or illegal) situations. Sometimes it could just be a bad day. Sometimes it's a case of 'male' pre-menstrual disorder. So imagine how difficult it must be for a young woman (or guy) on an exciting adventure in unfamiliar surroundings (in a language you can't read or understand), and when things go wrong and start to unravel...?

Sadly, e-books or any form of guidance is likely to be ignored. Most (young) people believe that these things always happen to someone else. They know better. Their 'friends' have related enchanting stories of "freedom" and a "do-as-you-choose" life.

It was ever thus.

facepalm.gif

Good she is safe after no doubt a few days and nights of Bliss!

But utter stupidity on her and her parents part for doing it and allowing it.

Backpacking ALONE in any country is fraught with extreme DANGER!

Wake up and smell the Coffee in the morning IF your still alive!!sad.png

I wonder if she went to Koh Tao?

or Samui. Travelling alone for a young woman/girl seems to be dangerous recently in Thailand. Thailand a "hub" for crimes/raping/murder?

What a load of unqualified rubbish. Go do some research on some other Countries and start with amount of people murdered by shooting in the USA.

hahahaha, that is why I'm here and not in this filthy cowboy country..... (btw: you want to compare Us with Thailand??? Congrats man...5555)

I hope she is safe and sound.

On a side note The British newspapers seem to be constantly reporting negative news from Thailand.

I wonder how many Brits are put off coming here with all that negativity.

I am an adventurer. The more negative the reviews are, the faster I wanted to come. Here I am, 15 years later and love reading the reviews! w00t.gif

I'll take that as a NO then....the autograph that is.

Those of you who are saying a young woman shouldn't go backpacking alone clearly never did much backpacking. Just because you set off alone doesn't mean you'll be travelling alone and vulnerable - pretty much everyone ends up meeting up with some likeminded fellow travellers more or less immediately. That's one of the joys of travelling alone - meeting new people.

Exactly, and getting drunk with new people, having your belongings stolen by new people, having your drink spiked by new people, etc.

I've met plenty who've experienced all those as a result of meeting new people

My view is that it's better to travel with a companion and watch out for each other, particularly if you're young and inexperienced. It doesn't prevent meeting new people, but there's safety in numbers.....numbers you know, not your new best friends.

Edited by F4UCorsair

thumbsup.gif

She's a 21 year old woman, not a child. It's not a case of her parents letting her do anything.

. . . and there is serious discussion in the UK about lowering the voting age to 16. Promoted as the new "age of responsibility"

Is there not a difference between age and maturity ?

I wonder if she went to Koh Tao?

or Samui. Travelling alone for a young woman/girl seems to be dangerous recently in Thailand. Thailand a "hub" for crimes/raping/murder?

What a load of unqualified rubbish. Go do some research on some other Countries and start with amount of people murdered by shooting in the USA.

Do some research. You are far more likely to be murdered

by someone with a gun in Thailand than you are in USA.

If you want to bark only....shut up if you don't have anything to contribute...!

Look here for you to learn:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/08/11/asia-pacific/crime-legal-asia-pacific/gun-murder-rate-thailand-par-united-states/#.VsxLM0Dkfh5