Less than impressed by 1.5% lol

I needed to lodge some cash this morning and bkk bank said the best rate they could do is a fixed term at 1.5% which sounds crap to me...

I just parked it there because I didn't have time to check all the banks today

Are any banks offering better rates than that?

(I'm off work next week so I'll have plenty of time to sort it out)

Over the last couple of years, rates on savings products have dropped a lot at all banks as the govt central banks have lowered their prime rates (i.e., cost to borrow money) in trying to rev-up a country's sluggish economy, currency wars/devaluation, trying to get stock markets rising again, etc.

In Europe 0.5 %, inflation 0% or below.

In Thailand 1.5 %. inflation 3.5 % (officially) biggrin.png You do the figuring.

In Thailand, insured funds reduced from 50 mill to 1 mill. Does that tell us something?

If the s*it hits the fan, would you be surprised, if the current government would declare, (issued by an overnight decree) that deposit insurance is only applicable for Thai-Citizens? I for one, would not be surprised.

Cheers.

In Europe 0.5 %, inflation 0% or below.

In Thailand 1.5 %. inflation 3.5 % (officially) biggrin.png You do the figuring.

In Thailand, insured funds reduced from 50 mill to 1 mill. Does that tell us something?

If the s*it hits the fan, would you be surprised, if the current government would declare, (issued by an overnight decree) that deposit insurance is only applicable for Thai-Citizens? I for one, would not be surprised.

Cheers.

I would assume thats nailed on 100% anyway. Even if the million was still valid you'd bet on them saying relevant Visas only acceptable re compensation in otherwards Visa Exempt and Tourist Visa can go whistle

The 1.5% offered is actually 1.275% because when I took time to work it out they deduct a further 15% from your interest.... smile.png

May as well keep it under your bed lol

You know you can reclaim that amount as long as your not already earning above the minimum threshold and paying tax in Thailand.

The 1.5% offered is actually 1.275% because when I took time to work it out they deduct a further 15% from your interest.... smile.png

May as well keep it under your bed lol

But, depending upon your nationality, in a lot of cases you can either claim back that deduction from the Thais or apply it as a credit against your home country's taxes.