Nabbed for loud exhaust

Gonsalviz

I live here and know at least one noisy HD.

How many bikes in Thailand ? How many are noisy ? Not even counting the cars, speaker trucks, pickups, people on internet Forums, airplanes ... I could go on. And you know one noisy HD ? Might be a help to you to go back, read what you have posted, and have a good long think of where this post is coming from. And I - if I may - am of the opinion that it is not about bikes per se, but about a brand of bike, and the people who ride them.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I heard there is still some room for you on top of the mountain above the clouds, where you are bothered by no one and can't even hear the birds chirp. "

No, papa lived at high altitude for a long time and the birds' chirping is quite audible there.

No dog would wake upon hearing someone pass and fart. And you know it.

Cobblers...if a dog walks past my neighbors house both of his go ballistic (anytime of day or night) and keep at for a good 15min after said dog has long since passed. That is way more annoying than a noisy bike that has passed in a few seconds.

No dog round here barks when a person walk past but they all do when a HD with its noise above legal limits does. If you feel the dogs your referring to are breaking any law take appropriate action with the dog owners. The policeman referred to by the OP took appropriate action with the owner of the noisy HD and I only wish more of them would.

I heard there is still some room for you on top of the mountain above the clouds, where you are bothered by no one and can't even hear the birds chirp.

What a sad life you must have.

What a sad life you have in that you go around on a motorbike breaking the law making noise over the legal limit disturbing others.

P.S. I like the birds chirping when I can hear them over all the noisy, illegal motorbikes.

I live here and know at least one noisy HD.

How many bikes in Thailand ? How many are noisy ? Not even counting the cars, speaker trucks, pickups, people on internet Forums, airplanes ... I could go on. And you know one noisy HD ? Might be a help to you to go back, read what you have posted, and have a good long think of where this post is coming from. And I - if I may - am of the opinion that it is not about bikes per se, but about a brand of bike, and the people who ride them.

I did not say one I said at least one. Perhaps I should have said MANY. I do not want to say ALL as I'm sure some don't make >95db. And as for which bike make the most noise well that is IMO HD. I hear / see many bikes and the noisy ones are almost always HDs. This discussion is not about other vehicles but about motorbikes so it is pointless in you bringing those up.

One does one vehicle making noise above the legal limit make all the others OK. Of course not.

And if it's people you want to talk about why do HD owners like loud noise and disturbing others and breaking the noise laws? They seem a nasty lot to me as are other people who constantly, knowingly, break the law and disturb others for their own selfish needs.

This discussion is not about other vehicles but about motorbikes so it is pointless in you bringing those up.

Topic title - Nabbed for loud exhaust

Posted in the Motorcycle forum, but noise is noise. So my point is valid. And how many HD in LOS ? Compared to how many other brands. So your position that it is all HD's holds no water. And your assertion that they are nasty, law breaking, selfish and disturbing individuals is the exact same thing as any blanket statement against any group, religion, race, gender. Male cow Patoey. And the illegal noise limit thing - have you purchased a decibel noise meter and tested that lone HD you are so offended by ? Or the countlesss Honda Waves, Ducatis, etc etc with this meter ? Or just a guess that it is over 95db ?

got hassled in December in Pattaya on my Ducati with termis on 1000 bt fine no negotiation ,, so i put the quiet standard cans on with all the legal stuff stamped on them ,, and have been hassled by the same cops around pattaya for '' too Loud'' twice more,, I have made an official complaint at the police station as my bike is completely legal and unmodified ,,,,, BUT they still want the fines payed , I have refused and so now they have tried to confiscate the bike , but its now hidden . in s very safe place in BKK ,and i am out of the country for work and my wife has contacted senior officials at the land transport dept in BKK . They have inspected the bike and say the police have no case ......we will see???

got hassled in December in Pattaya on my Ducati with termis on 1000 bt fine no negotiation ,, so i put the quiet standard cans on with all the legal stuff stamped on them ,, and have been hassled by the same cops around pattaya for '' too Loud'' twice more,, I have made an official complaint at the police station as my bike is completely legal and unmodified ,,,,, BUT they still want the fines payed , I have refused and so now they have tried to confiscate the bike , but its now hidden . in s very safe place in BKK ,and i am out of the country for work and my wife has contacted senior officials at the land transport dept in BKK . They have inspected the bike and say the police have no case ......we will see???

Note down the officers names and ask them also what the legal limit is and why they think yours is too loud. And to make it really sweet film the whole thing with your phone for evidence purposes. Maybe even contact Ducati and see if they can make a stink with the police.

Ducati Thailand dont give a toss , , the cops names are well known and logged , one is apparently a serial scammer who has stolen several bikes using confiscation orders , he is a Leuitenant .

With the termis on it was not as loud as most Harleys in pattaya or even lot of 125s it ran much better though with the termis than on standard cans ,,, with standard cans its well under the noise limit ,but runs like crap ,problem is the cops just make it up as they go and then when they loose face they wont back down,,,, but neither will I ....fortunately my wife and daughter have some good connections in BKK .

Ducati Thailand dont give a toss , , the cops names are well known and logged , one is apparently a serial scammer who has stolen several bikes using confiscation orders , he is a Leuitenant .

With the termis on it was not as loud as most Harleys in pattaya or even lot of 125s it ran much better though with the termis than on standard cans ,,, with standard cans its well under the noise limit ,but runs like crap ,problem is the cops just make it up as they go and then when they loose face they wont back down,,,, but neither will I ....fortunately my wife and daughter have some good connections in BKK .

Trust it all works out ... in the end, you want to ride...

Here is TIS 341-2542, concerning motorcycle exhaust systems. If there is a newer document, I am unaware of it. Said document describes noise limits for motorbikes of less than 125cc to be 95db. For larger motorbikes, the noise limit is 99db. Maybe good to print that page out, and keep it somewhere on your motorcycle in case a policeman wants to talk about the noise your motorcycle makes. Although, the last policeman I talked to about the noise my Tsukigi exhaust makes was a cop in Bangkok. He smiled, gave me a thumbs up, and said it sounded pretty good...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwmYWlzMWkPhdXQwci1xZ0tFSGc/edit

Choke dee, krup!

This is interesting and definitely a good document to keep in your pocket when riding a big bike.

Can any of you guys riding around explain to me why you NEED a loud exhaust pipe?

Does the bike go any faster, is it more efficient, cheaper to run or what?

There's only good reason to get a loud exhaust - safety.

When they hear you, they'll know you're there, somewhere. Also people like to rev the engine instead of honking the horn.

Other than, people just like to be noisy.

When they ride, they want to hear the sound but because of wind noise and the fact that the exhaust is pointing backwards, they can barely hear it, even if it's very loud for others.

My CBR150 has a pretty loud exhaust but not too loud, it has the legal stamp on it, when going beyond 60 km/h, I don't hear the exhaust at all, only engine noise under my balls.

What brand is the exhaust? I am still trying to find out if it makes a difference in Thailand. At least Akrapovic's (and Termignoni's I think) come with CE-certification and a certificate you can show as proof of their road legality if stopped in the traffic. Obviously CE is only valid for Europe, but I'm wondering if any similar certificates are issued in Thailand, or if simply changing any part of your bike is considered as "illegal modification".

Normally an "illegal modification" should be when a part is added that is not certified for road use (e.g. racing only pipes, or non-certified indicators etc..) but I have no idea about the actual law over here.

SS1 that document is a revelation ,, i have a noise DB meter so i will test my bikes , but will pattaya cops take that doc into consideration as Its in english and does not have a government LOGO

a thau version would be handy must ask the wife to research

Edited by liddelljohn

SS1 that document is a revelation ,, i have a noise DB meter so i will test my bikes , but will pattaya cops take that doc into consideration as Its in english and does not have a government LOGO

If you do find it, please let me know!

• 1 month later...

I have a Wirus Win Japanese aftermarket can on my PCX, It is louder than standard but not annoying at all.

The shop that tests for registration got it up to 94dB at max revs. so they made an approval card up for me to put under the seat.

Today was the first time the Chiang Mai police tried telling me it was illegal despite the sticker.

The boss at the scene says ANY non-original parts are illegal. . .I'm unsure if he's right about that.

anyway, my missus chewed their ear off so we were let off. . with a warning.

If you do find it, please let me know!

Thai version here:

http://www2.rid.go.th/research/vijais/moa/fulltext/TIS341-2543.pdf

The bikes they sell with aftermarket pipes are not illegal. Many are just not road legal. Of course it's then up to the customer to follow the law. And I bet 99% of people don't, just like with everyone else in Thailand.

But there are a few people who get bikes with pipes that are track-only and actually ride them only on tracks.

Honda actually sells road legal (TIS approved) aftermarket exhausts from Moriwaki and Mugen for example.

Because we don't like being woken up in the middle of the night by a noisy motorbike ridden by an inconsiderate -deleted-.

I don't think trimming the roses causes noise pollution.

The newborn baby 2 houses down is annoying me too, should I ask those people to move or just get rid of their kid?

Find out if they are breaking any law and take appropriate action. Nearly all HDs emit more than 95db and are therefore breaking the law and should be taken off the road.

Law?? In Thailand?

Hahahahahaha

Ducati brand stores sells Ducatis with illegal Termi performance pipes lol.

No stamps nothing

I bought Monster 821 with stock was considering 50k more expensive performance same bike with pipes, when you ask them they not tell you its illegal but i had Kawasaki with performance devil before so had experience with police and that and was pressuring them to answer questions about pipes. First they lied but when they realized i know too much already they admitted its illegal, so I asked why you sell illegal bikes they says up to customer....

Ducati pattaya.

Honda sells new illegal bikes too.

@matale0

Laws in Thailand; it has lots of them. Just because many are ignored by the people or not enforced by the police does not mean they do not exist. Take something up with the police and if it is illegal they will do something about it. That has been my experience here.

Shops that sell illegal goods and the customers who buy them are not very nice people IMO.

Shops that sell illegal goods and the customers who buy them are not very nice people IMO.

Again, these are not illegal goods. Stop spreading that nonsense. The bikes they sell are perfectly legal!

Again, these are not illegal goods. Stop spreading that nonsense. The bikes they sell are perfectly legal!

And yet, when pulled over and checked by the popo, there's a fine for running the equipment.

It's true, Thailand is one place here I can buy something in the wide open in one minute, and be arrested for possessing it a few meters down the street. Swords, pellet guns, stun guns and pepper spray come to mind immediately. Then there's the fake drugs on every tourist street market and fake ID including passports in select locations. All sold in the wide open, and all illegal to possess.

I've already been fined 3x for having a kayak on a kayak rack on top of my pickup. All purchased legally with full assurances from the sellers that it would be no problem. Thank goodness the fine is only 200-500 baht and there's no points recorded against my DL. Just part of the adventure.

So it's not hard to imagine I could buy an aftermarket exhaust for my scooter that will get me a ticket and fine. That's kind of the acid test for "illegal", isn't it?

Edited by impulse

I would like to see you fined 5000 bts and warned that if you don't get it down to a normal volume, then your bike will be taken off the road until it is.

These very loud exhausts are a damn nuisance, and there is no need for it.

Loud bikes is an issue that I can relate to both sides of.

I have a Thruxton (modern classically styled bike) which is loud. I like the sound it makes and mostly ride in the hills during the day so not disturbing too many. I take it easy when I need to respect people ie, coming through the moo baan late at night. I feel the sound is part of the bikes being.

My touring bike has an aftermarket exhaust. The baffle was welded in but I removed it, modified it slightly and replaced it. It is pretty quiet but nice on the open road. It would pass any police scrutiny. My CRF 250L is the same.

My son's msx 125 has a aftermarket pipe as well. I kept the baffle in but he managed to remove it and it is way too loud. I had a long discussion with him about it and respecting people who don't care to hear his bike miles away. His option is baffle back in IR standard exhaust going back on. What 15 year old doesn't want a loud bike.

I've seen guys with extremely loud bikes and passes me off, mainly giving everyone else a bad name. Used to be a guy on a Harley ride around the most every night revving the thing to make noise, some of you may know this <deleted>.

Its about respect and a lot of people should give some.

Hell, I must be getting old!

My Ducati is a bit loud I have to say. But what is the use of buying one if it sounds like a vacuum cleaner..

And I never got nabbed. Maybe because I keep the RPMs low when riding through town.

Edited by Nickymaster

And yet, when pulled over and checked by the popo, there's a fine for running the equipment.

It's true, Thailand is one place here I can buy something in the wide open in one minute, and be arrested for possessing it a few meters down the street. Swords, pellet guns, stun guns and pepper spray come to mind immediately. Then there's the fake drugs on every tourist street market and fake ID including passports in select locations. All sold in the wide open, and all illegal to possess.

I've already been fined 3x for having a kayak on a kayak rack on top of my pickup. All purchased legally with full assurances from the sellers that it would be no problem. Thank goodness the fine is only 200-500 baht and there's no points recorded against my DL. Just part of the adventure.

So it's not hard to imagine I could buy an aftermarket exhaust for my scooter that will get me a ticket and fine. That's kind of the acid test for "illegal", isn't it?

Ok maybe I have to make it clearer: selling these bikes/pipes is perfectly legal. However loud they are and whatever emitions they filter. But they might not be legal to ride on public roads.

Therefor one can't complain about dealers selling them. Some people buy sports bikes with aftermarket pipes because they take them to the track and those pipes increase performance (sometimes considerably).

So there are totally legitimate uses. That people use them on public roads is the peoples fault. It's the same as buying a scooter and then riding it through underpasses where it's not allowed. Doesn't make the bikes illegal.

Quite simply the law is 95db. Whatever bike you own, wherever you bought it, wherever you ride it on public roads, whatever factory or aftermarket exhaust you have if it makes more than 95db it is illegal. SIMPLE.