Interesting subject in the bar last night.

A person has 250,000 Sterling in baht in Thailand. All earned and saved here and wants to go back to live in UK.

Can you take it with you and how?

Lots of opinions from 'IMPOSSIBLE' to just get it transferred.

Any answers out there?

If earned and saved has he been paying tax and does he have paperwork to prove it?

If yes then should be able to transfer from his Thai bank (presume he has it in a Thai bank......) to UK bank probably after filling in numerous forms.

If no then potentially makes it substantively more difficult.......

Bye the way this subject has come up numerous times in the not too distant past so I would suggest doing a search if you are just looking for collective opinions.

I transfer money to the UK every month via the Bangkok Bank Bualuang iBanking service but I've never transferred that much! I wish I had that much to transfer! I've been using this service for the past five years and it hasn't changed. Any foreigner with a work permit can open a Bangkok Bank account, open the internet banking service and then apply for the 'International Funds Transfer' service. I remember I just completed the form, stipulated the UK account I wished to transfer to and then used my work permit and a copy of my employment contract to open the service. Then you can repatriate your earnings by transferring any time you like, it's a SWIFT transfer to the UK in my case.
It may be that there is an upper limit to the amount you can transfer - I've never been in a position to find that out. Surely if there are any anti-money laundering checks, they could be satisfied with a copy of the work permit, the contract or a personal income tax form like the P91.

I transfer money to the UK every month via the Bangkok Bank Bualuang iBanking service but I've never transferred that much! I wish I had that much to transfer! I've been using this service for the past five years and it hasn't changed. Any foreigner with a work permit can open a Bangkok Bank account, open the internet banking service and then apply for the 'International Funds Transfer' service. I remember I just completed the form, stipulated the UK account I wished to transfer to and then used my work permit and a copy of my employment contract to open the service. Then you can repatriate your earnings by transferring any time you like, it's a SWIFT transfer to the UK in my case.

It may be that there is an upper limit to the amount you can transfer - I've never been in a position to find that out. Surely if there are any anti-money laundering checks, they could be satisfied with a copy of the work permit, the contract or a personal income tax form like the P91.

I did exactly the same myself without a work permit. I filled the forms out in the bank and they were sent to Bangkok head office for processing. It took a couple of weeks before approval. My limit was set at $50k a day, $200k a month and $500k a year to a nominated UK bank account. Reason for transfer was set automatically as ''salary repatriation''. Cost for transfer is 10 pounds which covers both ends. I have been using the service for 4 years. All thanks to a nice friendly lady at the bank!!