Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Judas! at least you could support your fellow London team, just cos your living the life of riley on LOS doesn't mean you should forget your roots! :o

& forget my East London Roots by cheering for a West London Team ???

Never in a million Years Bruv, you know that.... :D

Judas! at least you could support your fellow London team, just cos your living the life of riley on LOS doesn't mean you should forget your roots! :o

Chelsea's fans have given up their Surrey/Kent roots cant you give a little?

Judas! at least you could support your fellow London team, just cos your living the life of riley on LOS doesn't mean you should forget your roots! :D

Chelsea's fans have given up their Surrey/Kent roots cant you give a little?

I think that's the Man Ure connection you're thinking of S.. :D

Some of the *%& i've come accross on Samui recently have forgotton their Hampshire, Dorset & Devon Roots too.... :o

Carvalho targets United scalp

Ricardo Carvalho has called on his Chelsea team-mates to silence their critics at Old Trafford on Sunday.

The Blues face a crunch top-of-the-table clash with Manchester United this weekend, with both sides looking to make up ground in the Premier League title race.

Chelsea are currently three points behind league leaders Liverpool, while United are seven points off the pace with two games in hand.

There promises to be fireworks when the two giants meet live on Sky Sports 1, with Portuguese centre-half Carvalho adamant that Luiz Felipe Scolari's side are in the right frame of mind to claim three priceless points in their bid to reclaim the top-flight crown.

"This week I've noticed a different atmosphere in the training sessions," he said in the Daily Star.

"The squad is adamant that we will not fail at Old Trafford and know we'll have to produce the best football of our season to win.

"It does not bother me that people consider Manchester United to be the favourites.

"Perhaps that is a positive for Chelsea because it can put a big pressure on our rivals.

"The squad is with the coach. Scolari is a big person and always defends the players.

"We know there are rumours about discontent in the dressing room, but I have known Scolari for many years and I am confident he can bring success to Chelsea.

"It is a tough job to win the title and all the players have to be at the top of their game.

"We are confident we can win the Premier League, but we know we will have to play well in this game.

"This match is very important for us. We just can't lose and have to restore our pride. It is more than three points."

Now now Singa, don't give it the big'un cos your 5 points clear of the relegation battle! :o

5 points clear of the Pond Life too.... :D

They've been above us twice in the past 2 Seasons, for an hour a few of Sunday's ago & then for a full 5 days during the week between a Game, just before Xmas... :D

I sh*t em !!!

Anyway, you'll be all Friendly again when Liverpool & Man Ure come to UP soon wanting us to do you the usual favours... :D

Haha course bruv, you know how fickle us footy fans can be!, who you gona be cheering for on Sunday? us Blues or the Mancs?

Ooooooh that's a tough one..

If you would have just asked who i would be supporting on Sunday the easy answer would have been Wigan all the way but as you added your Game specificlally, i'll have to go for the draw i suppose, can't honestly see myself wanting either to win to be honest, & i'm sure you wouldn't expect anything else... :D

If it was yer 'Ammers playing the Mancs, I would be want old rednose turned over and it wouldn't be just to better our cause either.I just despise 'em.

Hey Chelsea fans. Do you think we have got a good player in signing Wayne Bridge?

Honest opinions please :o

He'll be an asset,Mr. B,because he's still got a turn of foot and is a very good tackler.Not as good as he was two years ago but,where some of your players disappear when it gets rough,he wont.

Hey Chelsea fans. Do you think we have got a good player in signing Wayne Bridge?

Honest opinions please :D

He'll be an asset,Mr. B,because he's still got a turn of foot and is a very good tackler.Not as good as he was two years ago but,where some of your players disappear when it gets rough,he wont.

You having a laugh Old Fella ??

He's p;ayed in under 25% of Chelsea's Games over the past 6 years when he's been at the Club & you're saying, when the going get's tough, he won't get going ???

We really are cut from different cloth over our side of London !! :o

Bridge is a <deleted> joke in my opinion based on his appearences..

He's p;ayed in under 25% of Chelsea's Games over the past 6 years when he's been at the Club & you're saying, when the going get's tough, he won't get going ???

The problem for Bridge has been that he's been vieing for the left back spot with the permanent England full back since 2006.Prior to that,he was second choice to Del Horno(one of life's mysteries,in my opinion) in the 2005-2006 season where he went on loan to the toilet down the road.The fact that he has kept at it for so long is testament to his qualities as a top notch squad player' which is why I am more than a little peeved he has gone.

The problem for Bridge has been that he's been vieing for the left back spot with the permanent England full back since 2006.Prior to that,he was second choice to Del Horno(one of life's mysteries,in my opinion) in the 2005-2006 season where he went on loan to the toilet down the road.The fact that he has kept at it for so long is testament to his qualities as a top notch squad player' which is why I am more than a little peeved he has gone.

Fair enough, i can understand that..

Tjhanks for your replies Seapok and Oldgit and to Singh for the spanner throwing :o

I suppose time will tell if Bridge is worth it or not.

:D

We've got to have a bif of fun somehow...

If you want to have a laugh mate try checking out West Hams league position or maybe the squad they will have after they've sold all there players! haha

Tjhanks for your replies Seapok and Oldgit and to Singh for the spanner throwing :o

I suppose time will tell if Bridge is worth it or not.

:D

We've got to have a bif of fun somehow...

If you want to have a laugh mate try checking out West Hams league position or maybe the squad they will have after they've sold all there players! haha

You're joking ain't you ??

I'm over the moon with 10th, 5 point sabove the Pond Life too, i'm alright with that !! :D

Happy days !!

Right, it's Tiger O Clock & i'm off to watch us get 3 Points in Scotland..

COME ON YOU IRONS !!!

Edited by MSingh

Scolari remains keen on Cole

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari has warned any potential admirers of Joe Cole that the midfielder has a future at Stamford Bridge.

Cole has 18 months remaining on his current deal in West London, but rumours have been circulating that the England international is considering his future.

Discussions regarding a new contract for the 27-year-old, who is not guaranteed regular first-team football in Scolari's side, were put on hold earlier this season to fuel speculation that he could be heading for the exit.

But ahead of Chelsea's crucial clash with Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, which can be seen live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1, Scolari insists Cole remains in his plans.

When asked whether Cole will be at the club in the long term, Scolari said: "Yes, he will.

"He is a fantastic player and important for the club and for me. He scores many goals and his future is here."

Man Utd v Chelsea

Manchester United captain Rio Ferdinand returns to the team after a four-game absence with a back injury.

Patrice Evra is also back after his four-match ban, so United have only Owen Hargreaves and Wes Brown missing.

Chelsea welcome back captain John Terry for the trip to Old Trafford after he served a three-match suspension.

Michael Ballack is also available after a ban and Jose Bosingwa should play despite picking up a knock, but Florent Malouda (hamstring) misses out.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster, Neville, Rafael, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Nani, Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Park, Berbatov, Rooney, Welbeck, Gibson, Possebon.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Mancienne, A Cole, J Cole, Obi, Lampard, Kalou, Anelka, Drogba, Stoch, Carvalho, Di Santo, Deco, Mineiro, Belletti, Ballack.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson:

"Because Chelsea are one of the top teams in the country, there is more spice to it and more anticipation amongst the players.

"I don't think there's been much change in the Chelsea team other than the swing in terms of home and away form.

"They are still consistent, they are still very difficult to play against and they still have very good players."

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard:

"The errors have been very frustrating for everyone involved because we do work on them in training anyway.

"Sometimes it has been an individual error or a collective one, but it has been very important because we have dominated the last two games and we lost out on a set-piece in the final minute each time.

"We can't afford to let that happen against a team of Manchester United's calibre."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

This eagerly awaited heavyweight clash at Old Trafford could be a defining match in the title race, as both clubs bid to make up ground on leaders Liverpool.

Chelsea go into the weekend three points behind the Merseysiders; Manchester United are seven points off the pace, and four points behind the Blues with two games in hand on both.

The top home club faces the top away club, going into this round of top division fixtures. United are unbeaten at Old Trafford; Chelsea unbeaten on the road so far in this Premier League campaign.

Chelsea are the first of the 'Big Four' clubs to visit Old Trafford this season; United have drawn one (at Chelsea) and lost two (v Arsenal and Liverpool).

The Red Devils are the first of the 'Big Four' Chelsea have faced away from home; Scolari's side have already lost to Liverpool and Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.

The last time Chelsea turned up at Old Trafford for a Premier League match, Jose Mourinho had just left the club, and Avram Grant took charge for the first time. The Blues lost 2-0.

Defeat for the home club will be their 150th league loss under Sir Alex Ferguson, and 300th home defeat in top-flight football; defeat for the Blues will be their 100th Premier League loss away from home.

Chelsea had to rely on a headed goal from Salomon Kalou 10 minutes from time to salvage a point from a pulsating reverse fixture in September. Park Ji-sung had given United the lead in the 1-1 draw.

Manchester United have conceded more goals (43) and dropped more points (58) to Chelsea than to any other club in the Premier League.

The Red Devils were the last club to beat Chelsea in a Premier League game by more than a single goal (23 September 2007); Chelsea were the last club to beat United by more than a single goal (29 April 2006).

CLUB FORM

MANCHESTER UNITED

1. Wednesday's surprise 1-0 away loss to Championship Derby in the first leg of the Carling Cup semi-final ended a five match winning run, and 14-game undefeated sequence in all competitions.

2. Unbeaten in seven Premier League matches; won five and drawn two since losing to Arsenal 2-1 at the Emirates Stadium on 8 November; their only loss in 15 league outings.

3. Not conceded in seven or 672 minutes (11 hours 12 minutes) of Premier League football since Samir Nasri scored Arsenal's second in their odd goal in three home victory two months ago.

4. Won the last seven home league games, conceding in just one of those seven victories (4-3 v Hull on 1 November).

5. Undefeated in 13 top-flight matches at the Theatre of Dreams; won 12 and drawn one (v Newcastle) since losing 1-2 against Manchester City on 10 February - their only defeat in 27 at home.

6. Won the last six home top-flight matches against London clubs, and lost one of 10 (against West Ham).

7. Won 50 of 60 Premier League matches at Old Trafford.

8. Not beaten a fellow 'Big Four' club, since the 2-1 home victory over Arsenal on 13 April.

9. Four points down on this same stage last season.

CHELSEA

1. Undefeated in seven in all competitions.

2. Unbeaten in five Premier League games; won two and drawn since their only defeat in 11; 1-2, home to Arsenal on 30 November, when last top of the table.

3. Won 16 and drawn four of the last 20 away top-flight fixtures, since losing 1-0 to Arsenal at the Emirates on 17 December 2007.

4. Won their first eight league games on the road this season, and drawn the most recent two.

5. The 2-2 draw at Fulham on 28 December were the first goals conceded in eight games away from home.

6. Not lost in the North-West since last season's visit to Old Trafford.

7. One point up on the equivalent juncture last season, but seven and 17 points down on the corresponding stage in their title-winning seasons.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

MANCHESTER UNITED

Cristiano RONALDO is yet to score a Premier League goal against Chelsea.

Edwin VAN DER SAR is leading the race for the Barclays Golden Glove, along with Jose REINA of Liverpool and Chelsea's Petr CECH. All three have kept 11 clean sheets, ahead of this current round of fixtures.

If selected:-

Rio FERDINAND will be making his 200th Premier League appearance for Manchester United.

CHELSEA

Jose BOSINGWA and Frank LAMPARD are the only remaining players to have started all of Chelsea's Premier League matches this season.

Nicolas ANELKA is the top-scoring Premier League player with 16 club goals in all competitions, and is leading the race for the Barclays Golden Boot with 14 Premier League goals.

Petr CECH is level with Liverpool's Jose REINA and Manchester United's Edwin VAN DER SAR, in the race for the Barclays Golden Glove. All three have kept 11 clean sheets (going into this weekend's fixtures).

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea's only win in six Premier League matches at the Theatre of Dreams was 1-3 on 10 May 2005 when Tiago, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Joe Cole got on the score sheet.

Discounting the penalty shoot-out loss in last season's Community Shield, Chelsea have only lost two of their last 15 competitive games against Manchester United.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Man United 55 wins, Chelsea 37, Draws 41

Prem: Man United 9 wins, Chelsea 10, Draws 14

at Man United only

League (inc PL): Man United 26 wins, Chelsea 17, Draws 23

Prem: Man United 5 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 7

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Manchester United 2-0 Chelsea

23 September 2007 - Ref: Mike Dean

Man Utd scorers: Tevez 45, Saha 90 (pen)

Sent Off: Obi (Chelsea) 32

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 1-1 Manchester United

21 September 2008 - Ref: Mike Riley

Chelsea scorer: Kalou 80

Man Utd scorer: Park 18

REFEREE

Howard Webb

Carvalho targets United scalp

Ricardo Carvalho has called on his Chelsea team-mates to silence their critics at Old Trafford on Sunday.

The Blues face a crunch top-of-the-table clash with Manchester United this weekend, with both sides looking to make up ground in the Premier League title race.

Chelsea are currently three points behind league leaders Liverpool, while United are seven points off the pace with two games in hand.

There promises to be fireworks when the two giants meet live on Sky Sports 1, with Portuguese centre-half Carvalho adamant that Luiz Felipe Scolari's side are in the right frame of mind to claim three priceless points in their bid to reclaim the top-flight crown.

"This week I've noticed a different atmosphere in the training sessions," he said in the Daily Star.

"The squad is adamant that we will not fail at Old Trafford and know we'll have to produce the best football of our season to win.

"It does not bother me that people consider Manchester United to be the favourites.

"Perhaps that is a positive for Chelsea because it can put a big pressure on our rivals.

"The squad is with the coach. Scolari is a big person and always defends the players.

"We know there are rumours about discontent in the dressing room, but I have known Scolari for many years and I am confident he can bring success to Chelsea.

"It is a tough job to win the title and all the players have to be at the top of their game.

"We are confident we can win the Premier League, but we know we will have to play well in this game.

"This match is very important for us. We just can't lose and have to restore our pride. It is more than three points."

Interesting pre match comments by Ricardo in light of their performance. It was by far Chelseas biggest hiding in memory. I cant think of one player who performed anywhere near his capabilities. Drogba's body language was he didnt want to be there,Terry had none of his fire and geeing up the troops, Deco is turning out to be ,what many people suspected, an expensive flop ,his style of play is not condusive to English football. Mourinho ,in the stands,was heard to comment that Chelsea are not half the team he had and he may well be right.With Roman A's bank account being blown away by the financial downturn and perhaps a waning interest in the club together with reported debts of 600 million quid its interesting times at the Bridge.Ricardo noted there had been a different attitude at training last week,wonder what it will be this week ?

I tell you what, when i saw the starting Line Up's for both Teams i thought Chelsea were definately gon aget something there

& i thought Man Ure's was not weak, but not full strength obviously..

There was nothing for me to think otherwise in the first half hour when i fell asleep on the Sofa..

Problem at the Bridge me thinks..

I tell you what, when i saw the starting Line Up's for both Teams i thought Chelsea were definately gon aget something there

There was nothing for me to think otherwise in the first half hour when i fell asleep on the Sofa..

I did that in the wigan totteham game but watched most of the 2nd half and of course missed the only goal - was it good?

I did that in the wigan totteham game but watched most of the 2nd half and of course missed the only goal - was it good?

The Wigan Game ??

It was great, T*ttenham lost !! :o

No, really, it was a poor Game, both sides none too impressive in my opinion..

The Wigan Game ??

It was great, T*ttenham lost !! :o

No, really, it was a poor Game, both sides none too impressive in my opinion..

Agreed, it was a poor game, but a good result. Always like to See Spuds lose, unless they are playing Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpond.

What can I say? we were <deleted> crap last night, I can't remember the last time we conceded 3 goals. With Drogba's constant whining about playing for his "father" Mourhino you would of thought he would of played out of his skin to show Jose what he is missing but no. We are having serious problems with set pieces this season, a massive lack of confidence and I feel the players don't really have a great deal of faith in Big Phil......Jose come back we need you! :o

What can I say? we were <deleted> crap last night, I can't remember the last time we conceded 3 goals.

Everybody in the pub I was in said it was a great game....! :D

Do be do be do be do do do, do be be dodo.....! :o

redrus

What can I say? we were <deleted> crap last night, I can't remember the last time we conceded 3 goals. With Drogba's constant whining about playing for his "father" Mourhino you would of thought he would of played out of his skin to show Jose what he is missing but no. We are having serious problems with set pieces this season, a massive lack of confidence and I feel the players don't really have a great deal of faith in Big Phil......Jose come back we need you! :o

Probably the main reason i thought you'd get something when i saw the Line Ups was the fact that Terry & Carvalho were back together as a Partnership which is massive in my opinion..

Yeaj ok you've been conceeding Goals from Set Pieces as they've been split up a lot for on ereason or another this Season but them being back together i thought would stop that then BOSH, bang on the stroke of HT ( or there or thereabouts ) you go a conceeded a Goal from a Corner...

What can I say? we were <deleted> crap last night, :D

Yep, you were crap. :D

I can remember some parable about the fool building a house on the sand, trying to think if this applicable. :D

Still good result for Chelski, as it could have and should have easily been 5-0 to Utd. :o

I can remember some parable about the fool building a house on the sand, trying to think if this applicable. :D

Still good result for Chelski, as it could have and should have easily been 5-0 to Utd. :D

No the parable you heard doesn't apply to Chelsea. We've lost our 1st away game of the season, not really a big deal, considering Man Utd have already lost twice on their travels!

We played very poorly so hopefully this will give the players a good kick up the arse. Lets just see where you finish in May before you get above yourself. :o

Still good result for Chelski, as it could have and should have easily been 5-0 to Utd. :D

No the parable you heard doesn't apply to Chelsea. We've lost our 1st away game of the season, not really a big deal, considering Man Utd have already lost twice on their travels!

We played very poorly so hopefully this will give the players a good kick up the arse. Lets just see where you finish in May before you get above yourself. :o

Above you, as usual.

Scolari calls for Chelsea unity

Luiz Felipe Scolari has taken the blame for Chelsea's loss at Manchester United on Sunday, but says they must now pull together if they are to bounce back.

The Blues boss said he was wrong to open up the midfield at Old Trafford, and conceded his poor set-piece planning cost them in the 3-0 defeat.

"It's more my error than the players," said the Brazilian. "Now I need to change systems and start from new.

"We need more to work together and when it is wrong we need more togetherness."

The damaging defeat left Chelsea four points adrift of league leaders Liverpool and only a point ahead of United, who have two games in hand over their title rivals.

And the defeat extended the Blues' current run of just three victories in their past 11 games in all competitions.

Sunday's performance has led to some critics questioning Chelsea's title aspirations, with newspaper reports suggesting that a breakdown in the relationship between Scolari and his players - in particular Nicholas Anelka - is at the heart of the Londoners' recent struggles.

But Scolari said: "I read that the press said that I opened the midfield against Manchester United - sure, this is the reality.

"I say this to the press - I opened the midfield and I am responsible for us conceding the goals because I tried to change the result. (Losing) 1-0, 3-0 or 5-0 is the same to me.

"Other coaches try to say 'no'. I say 'yes, I am wrong' - this is my style.

"But after one victory, or two or three, we will relax and win more. We just need more attention and more togetherness."

Scolari's men face a potentially tricky FA Cup third round replay against Southend on Wednesday, and the Brazilian admits that match has taken on extra significance.

"Southend is the game of the year," he said. "We need to think the same way.

"It's the FA Cup. If our spirit is not the same as Southend's, then it's difficult, but if our spirit is the same then we have good chance because we have better players than Southend.

"But we need to prove it on the pitch."

Thank god for that, hopefully now we can pick up and get our season back on track. :o

Southend 1-4 Chelsea

Chelsea displayed all the resilience Luiz Felipe Scolari asked for as they came from a goal down to beat Southend in a tough FA Cup third round replay.

Adam Barrett headed the hosts into the lead from Junior Stanislas's corner - but otherwise it was one-way traffic.

Michael Ballack's drive levelled it up and Salomon Kalou slid in a second.

Chelsea ran away with it after that, Nicolas Anelka prodding home and Frank Lampard grabbing another, as the Blues sealed a fourth-round tie with Ipswich.

Even Lampard's late strike was little more than Chelsea deserved, despite a brave backs-to-the-wall performance from Southend, who belied their position 56 places behind the

Blues down in League One with a performance full of heart and determination.

In fact had Chelsea not matched the endeavour of their opponents it might have been a different story, but as it was it was exactly the wrong time for Southend to face Scolari's men.

Sunday's Premier League defeat to Manchester United prompted declarations that Chelsea's title bid is over, while Scolari himself called this Cup tie as "the game of the year" - and right from the off it was clear the Blues were under no illusions as to the tie's importance.

It had initially looked as if Chelsea would have to wait for their chance to put Sunday's defeat to Manchester United behind them as referee Chris Foy called the game off due to fog just over an hour before kick-off - but the fog lifted and the game began on time.

And straight away the visitors went on the offensive, Kalou and Ballack going close in the early exchanges and Joe Cole forcing a smart near-post save from Mildenhall after good work from Frank Lampard.

So it was against the run of play when Southend took a shock lead - with Scolari's new zonal marking system exposed at the first opporunity - as Barrett headed in Stanislas's corner unmarked from eight yards.

That was not Southend's only chance of the half and it took a superb point-blank save from Petr Cech to keep out Alex Revell's header on 40 minutes to keep the scores level.

However, in truth, other than that it was near total domination of the football from Chelsea - and the only surprise was that their leveller was so long in coming.

Lampard had a great best chance when his close-range volley was aimed straight at the keeper, while Joe Cole saw his effort on the rebound blocked and Nicolas Anelka aimed a subsequent header narrowly wide.

As it was, the equaliser came giftwrapped by the Shrimpers, Mildenhall and Peter Clarke getting in each other's way and allowing the ball to fall to Ballack, who crashed home.

It was the German's first goal since his strike dumped Scolari's Portugal out of the 2008 World Cup at the quarter-final stage in June - evidence if it was needed of just how out of

sorts he has been this season - but it was just the fillip Chelsea were after before half time.

To their credit, the hosts refused to buckle in the face of their exhalted opponents, but the second half followed a similar pattern to the first and it was not too long before the Blues were ahead.

Joe Cole was the orchestrator - the winger finding Kalou with an exquisite crossfield pass with the outside of his boot - and the Ivorian danced past two defenders before sliding into the far corner.

Scolari, whose exasperation was clear for all to see until that point, was visibly relieved - and the players also seemed to calm as they stroked the ball around with increasing confidence thereafter.

Anelka made it three late on with a neat finish after good work from Lampard and Kalou, and there was still time for Lampard to add a fourth with a close-range finish from Kalou's pass.

And so while Southend had caused the odd moment of alarm among the Chelsea backline - Jean-Francois Christophe headed a corner unmarked over early in the half - few could argue the Blues did not fully deserve the victory, as well as some semblance of redemption after Sunday's defeat to Man Utd.

Southend: Mildenhall, Sankofa, Barrett, Clarke, Herd, Revell (Betsy 86), Grant (Francis 80), Moussa, Christophe, Stanislas, Barnard (Freedman 73).

Subs Not Used: Joyce, Walker, O'Keefe.

Goals: Barrett 16.

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Alex, Terry, Ashley Cole, Mikel (Belletti 46), Joe Cole (Di Santo 76), Ballack, Lampard, Kalou, Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ivanovic, Carvalho, Mancienne, Stoch.

Booked: Mikel.

Goals: Ballack 45, Kalou 60, Anelka 78, Lampard 90.

Att: 11,314

Ref: Christopher Foy