Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

blimey, 15m for a new manager?

Yeah its a lot to pay and quite a big gamble by Abramovich but if we can get Hiddink as Director of football also it will be quite an exciting prospect. AVB is a very young manager so will need to stand up and show what he is made of in the dressing room

to get all the older players on his side. I'm already looking forward to the new season! :D

AVB seems a hugely talented manager without being the self-adoring gobshite that mourinho is.

first thing i'd do if i were him is sell john terry.

Yeah its a lot to pay and quite a big gamble by Abramovich but if we can get Hiddink as Director of football also it will be quite an exciting prospect. AVB is a very young manager so will need to stand up and show what he is made of in the dressing room

to get all the older players on his side. I'm already looking forward to the new season! :D

AVB seems a hugely talented manager without being the self-adoring gobshite that mourinho is.

I'd think more like a minor clear out with Terry the first, and not just because of his personality. Luis and Alex is a better center back pairing. Then theres Essien whose knees seem to be shot now and he's a shadow of what he used to be.

I'd think more like a minor clear out with Terry the first, and not just because of his personality. Luis and Alex is a better center back pairing. Then theres Essien whose knees seem to be shot now and he's a shadow of what he used to be.

yeah i think that luiz and alex would be a better pairing too. any manager that goes to chelsea though has to break this ridiculous link that seems to exist between terry and abramovich or they're never going to get on there. although given abramovich's liking for interference it's probably true that no manager will ever really be in charge at chelsea full stop.

villas boas is the same age as lampard. that's funny.

I havent really kept up with the AVB story but why would he want to go and work with Abromavich. We all know that Abromavich sort of thinks he should be running Chelsea, will interfere at the wrong time and then blame the manager. It seems to me that AVB could pretty much have his pick of jobs around Europe. Not Man U I suspect but City at some point or Spurs quite soon or possibly Liverpool in 5 years. Maybe even Arsenal.

Half the players there are <deleted> as well. So why did he choose it? It is also a bit of a poison chalice in that you might need to tear it down a bit in order to rebuild it (general bullshit comment) but there are no guarantees of immediate success if he rebuilds and there is absolute guarantees of aggro.

Haha loving all the positive comments so far regarding the potential new manager :whistling:

Chelsea close on Villas-Boas

Porto have confirmed that they have received the required payment to release Chelsea manager-in-waiting Andre Villas-Boas from his contract.

The 33-year-old tendered his resignation with the Portuguese and Europa League champions earlier on Tuesday to pave the way for his move to Stamford Bridge.

That resignation has now been accepted after Porto received compensation, which is reported to be £13.2million, and Villas-Boas is set to hold talks with Chelsea on Wednesday.

Discussions in London will focus on Villas-Boas' salary, which is understood to be £90,000-a-week, and his determination to bring members of his backroom staff to England.

Fitness coach Jose Mario Rocha is an important colleague of the Porto native after they also worked together at former club Academica Coimbra.

Opposition scout Daniel Sousa is another thought to be wanted by Villas-Boas when he agrees a probable three-year contract.

I havent really kept up with the AVB story but why would he want to go and work with Abromavich. We all know that Abromavich sort of thinks he should be running Chelsea, will interfere at the wrong time and then blame the manager. It seems to me that AVB could pretty much have his pick of jobs around Europe. Not Man U I suspect but City at some point or Spurs quite soon or possibly Liverpool in 5 years. Maybe even Arsenal.

Half the players there are <deleted> as well. So why did he choose it? It is also a bit of a poison chalice in that you might need to tear it down a bit in order to rebuild it (general bullshit comment) but there are no guarantees of immediate success if he rebuilds and there is absolute guarantees of aggro.

You're right. i think this is big mistake by Villas Boas. How long before Abramovich starts sticking his beak in and derails the season. Also as you say, half the team are odious cretins and there will have to be a lot of tearing down.

Finally, as probably the brightest prospect of a young manager around right now, why is he going to such a relatively small club, run like a wannabe Real Madrid by a clueless owner?

You're right. i think this is big mistake by Villas Boas. How long before Abramovich starts sticking his beak in and derails the season. Also as you say, half the team are odious cretins and there will have to be a lot of tearing down.

Finally, as probably the brightest prospect of a young manager around right now, why is he going to such a relatively small club, run like a wannabe Real Madrid by a clueless owner?

Worst of all I bet Abromavich only bought him because he is a 'trophy manager'.

I mean it is the sort of stock answer to 'who would it be good to have in as our next manager?' 'Well Andre Villas-Boas would be good' It is almost a cliche.

Then you are going to have cun_ts like Terry or Abromavich saying 'Look just how many CL matches have you actually managed before then? Well I can tell you speaking from experience.'

And then there will be the conflict between the AVB players and the Chelsea players etc...

The good news is that Abromavich's reputation with managers is so low AVB cannot really damage his own. If he walks away or is sacked he is in very good company. If he does actually succeed I think we will all be very impressed.

By the way I read that Barcelona are going to offer 29 year old David Villa to City and Chelsea for 40m and they believe they will be happy to buy him. It is clear that Barcelona think that both clubs are simply insane.

Villas-Boas 'will conquer Europe' says Academica chief

The man who gave Andre Villas-Boas his first job in management has backed the new Chelsea boss to win the Champions League with the west London club.

Academica president Jose Eduardo Simoes appointed Villas-Boas in October 2009.

Simoes told BBC Sport: "I could tell after our first meeting that he is a great human being, a natural leader.

"He will be successful at Chelsea and in two years' time I can certainly imagine him winning the Premier League and the Champions League."

Villas-Boas, 33, who spent seven years as part of Jose Mourinho's backroom staff at FC Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan, took over at Academica with the club bottom of the Portuguese league having failed to win a single game.

Villas-Boas is a different kind of leader to Mourinho, but he shares the same capacity to motivate his players

Academica president Jose Eduardo Simoes

He led them to safety by 10 points and took them to a League Cup semi-final before going back to Porto last summer, where he went on to win four trophies in his first full season as a manager.

Off the back of this success, Chelsea paid £13.3m to activate a release clause in his Porto contract to bring him to Stamford Bridge as successor to Carlo Ancelotti.

Simoes added: "Villas-Boas did some very good work at my club. He improved the players' self-esteem and produced some quality football too - if he had been there for the entire season, we could have finished as high as fifth.

"He has got talent, he is a natural leader and he is very easy to work with. He communicates well, has a clear and well-structured message, he likes 'mind-games' and makes good use of them, he knows what he wants and how to achieve it and he creates a positive working atmosphere around him.

"Villas-Boas is a different kind of leader to Mourinho, but he shares the same capacity to motivate his players. I am very proud of all the successes he has had and of the ones yet to come."

Well he might but he won't do it in a season....and that's all he'll get at Chelsea....two at the outside and it'll take him at least that long to wrest control of the dressing room.

Well he might but he won't do it in a season....and that's all he'll get at Chelsea....two at the outside and it'll take him at least that long to wrest control of the dressing room.

You been boozing again Smokie? haha sounds like we will be having a big clear out in the next month with 5 of our boys wanted by Milan, no doubt we will be shopping again with Modric coming to win medals haha

You been boozing again Smokie? haha sounds like we will be having a big clear out in the next month with 5 of our boys wanted by Milan, no doubt we will be shopping again with Modric coming to win medals haha

The mafia better get his money out then....the price is rising all the time. What with the players we're selling bringing in £30m we don't need to sell at all unless its a totally ridiculous and laughable bid.

Step up Abramovich....laugh.gif

we don't need to sell at all unless its a totally ridiculous and laughable bid.

If the lad doesn't want to play for you anymore, which it seems he doesn't, you kinda do.

(much as i hate to say it)

Don't see him putting in a transfer request mate. Until that happens you can all whistle...biggrin.gif

If the lad doesn't want to play for you anymore, which it seems he doesn't, you kinda do.

Don't see him putting in a transfer request mate. Until that happens you can all whistle...biggrin.gif

He has stated, has he not, that he wants to play for Chelsea? To me, that's like one of our players saying he wants to play for City. Piss off then. (not you smokie)

He has stated, has he not, that he wants to play for Chelsea? To me, that's like one of our players saying he wants to play for City. Piss off then. (not you smokie)

There's an element of our support who are already saying the same....I prefer to wait and see what happens. Its not like his replacement will have any more loyalty or likely to be half as good a player.

Only 20 months into his fledgling managerial career, 33-year-old Andre Villas-Boas was appointed boss of Chelsea on Wednesday.

BBC Sport asked Jose Eduardo Simoes, the president who gave Villas-Boas his first job in management at Portuguese side Academica, for his views on the new man in the Stamford Bridge hotseat.

Q - Jose, why did you appoint Andre Villas-Boas as Academica manager?

A - At the time Andre was working with Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan and I asked him to meet me in Coimbra, in Portugal. In the space of only two hours I got to know not only his character but also his technical competency, especially in the accurate and detailed way he had analysed Academica.

Q -Did you speak to Mourinho about Villas-Boas?

A - There was no need to. From the very beginning I could tell that Andre Villas-Boas had all it takes to make it to the top.

Q -How similar do you think Villas-Boas is to Mourinho?

A - As you know, the two men do not particularly like to be compared. However, they both have professional competency, ambition, accuracy, good social and motivational competences, they communicate well with the players, they are very focused on their objectives, they are always trying to improve and go higher and they "think football" 24 hours a day. But they are two very different people.

Q -How good a job did Villas-Boas do at Academica? Did he surprise you?

A - He did a very good job, he improved the players' self-esteem and produced good quality football. He took over for the ninth match of the season, but had he started the campaign leading the team we would possibly have made it as high as fifth in the table.

Villas-Boas takes a training session during his time at Academica

Right from the start, the whole team, everyone at the club and all the fans supported him. It was not surprising, what he achieved, as right from the very first meeting I could tell he was an extremelly well-prepared and gifted person.

Q -What sort of person is Villas-Boas?

A - Besides "thinking football" 24 hours a day, ie being very focused on his work, he has great human and social competences: he is a very nice and generous person.

He has got talent, he is a natural leader and easy to work with. He comunicates well, he has a clear and well structured message, he likes "mind games" and makes good use of them, he knows what he wants and how to achieve it and while he was at Academica he created a very positive working atmosphere around him.

Q -Are you still in touch with him?

A - Yes, we keep in touch. We talk and exchange text messages on the phone regularly and he has already invited me to go and watch Chelsea play any time I wish - which I will certainly do with pleasure. I am very proud of all his successes and of the ones yet to come.

Q -Do you think he will be a success at Chelsea and if yes, why?

A - Being a different kind of leader from Mourinho, he nevertheless shares the same capacity to motivate his players. The message is simple, objective and efficient, yet at the same time powerful and motivating.

I believe that if he is able to correct some aspects of Chelsea's game - which has occasionally been let down by an unclear model and strategy in the past - he will potentiate the team's ambition and be successful. In two years I can certainly imagine him winning the Premier League and the Champions League.

Q -Can he be a better coach than Mourinho?

A - Ask me again in two years. Still; how do you compare managers?

Only 20 months into his fledgling managerial career, 33-year-old Andre Villas-Boas was appointed boss of Chelsea on Wednesday.

BBC Sport asked Jose Eduardo Simoes, the president who gave Villas-Boas his first job in management at Portuguese side Academica, for his views on the new man in the Stamford Bridge hotseat.

Q - Jose, why did you appoint Andre Villas-Boas as Academica manager?

A - At the time Andre was working with Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan and I asked him to meet me in Coimbra, in Portugal. In the space of only two hours I got to know not only his character but also his technical competency, especially in the accurate and detailed way he had analysed Academica.

Q -Did you speak to Mourinho about Villas-Boas?

A - There was no need to. From the very beginning I could tell that Andre Villas-Boas had all it takes to make it to the top.

Q -How similar do you think Villas-Boas is to Mourinho?

A - As you know, the two men do not particularly like to be compared. However, they both have professional competency, ambition, accuracy, good social and motivational competences, they communicate well with the players, they are very focused on their objectives, they are always trying to improve and go higher and they "think football" 24 hours a day. But they are two very different people.

Q -How good a job did Villas-Boas do at Academica? Did he surprise you?

A - He did a very good job, he improved the players' self-esteem and produced good quality football. He took over for the ninth match of the season, but had he started the campaign leading the team we would possibly have made it as high as fifth in the table.

Villas-Boas takes a training session during his time at Academica

Right from the start, the whole team, everyone at the club and all the fans supported him. It was not surprising, what he achieved, as right from the very first meeting I could tell he was an extremelly well-prepared and gifted person.

Q -What sort of person is Villas-Boas?

A - Besides "thinking football" 24 hours a day, ie being very focused on his work, he has great human and social competences: he is a very nice and generous person.

He has got talent, he is a natural leader and easy to work with. He comunicates well, he has a clear and well structured message, he likes "mind games" and makes good use of them, he knows what he wants and how to achieve it and while he was at Academica he created a very positive working atmosphere around him.

Q -Are you still in touch with him?

A - Yes, we keep in touch. We talk and exchange text messages on the phone regularly and he has already invited me to go and watch Chelsea play any time I wish - which I will certainly do with pleasure. I am very proud of all his successes and of the ones yet to come.

Q -Do you think he will be a success at Chelsea and if yes, why?

A - Being a different kind of leader from Mourinho, he nevertheless shares the same capacity to motivate his players. The message is simple, objective and efficient, yet at the same time powerful and motivating.

I believe that if he is able to correct some aspects of Chelsea's game - which has occasionally been let down by an unclear model and strategy in the past - he will potentiate the team's ambition and be successful. In two years I can certainly imagine him winning the Premier League and the Champions League.

Q -Can he be a better coach than Mourinho?

A - Ask me again in two years. Still; how do you compare managers?

Hands up anyone who could be bothered to read all that. Jeez - I thought I was boring :lol:

I would never have said that Seapok. How rude are those gooners eh? biggrin.gif

Gooners eh, I'm loving the Arsenal exadus thats starting to unfold, Nasri to Man City then Fabregas finally off to Barca to keep Mascherano company on the bench! haha

Gooners eh, I'm loving the Arsenal exadus thats starting to unfold, Nasri to Man City then Fabregas finally off to Barca to keep Mascherano company on the bench! haha

laugh.gif So am I!

Me too, but i just can't see what is possessing fabregas to make this move. Does he seriously think he has a chance of getting a starting place bar injuries? As you say, he's going to become a bench warmer.

Nasri more likely to go to Man Yoo imo. Things really would be interesting if he goes too because where will Arsenal get their creativity from? Its not really like they can keep either of these two. Fabregas has wanted to leave for two years already and they have to cash in and Nasri's contract has very stupidly been allowed to run down. Happy days!!!

Edited by carmine

AVB won't pick Fergie fight

Andre Villas-Boas has no plans to get drawn into a battle of the minds with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

The new Chelsea manager is aware that the Red Devils coach is renowned for his ability to get under the skin of his rivals.

Numerous Premier League bosses have been enticed in by his antics and have ultimately paid the price with below-par performances on the field.

Villas-Boas insists there is no chance of him treading a similar path, with it not in his nature to become embroiled in a war of words.

The Portuguese tactician told the Daily Star Sunday: "I have the utmost respect for Sir Alex. I'm not a confrontational guy."

Rather than become obsessed with one club and one manager, Villas-Boas claims there are wider issues that need to be addressed at Stamford Bridge.

He added: "It's not just a question of me taking on Sir Alex or the other Premier League managers.

"It's a question of a top club like Chelsea challenging for the title again.

"Last year, we ended on a very good run to threaten for the title in the last couple of games. I want us to be up there at the beginning."

AVB won't pick Fergie fight

Andre Villas-Boas has no plans to get drawn into a battle of the minds with Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

The new Chelsea manager is aware that the Red Devils coach is renowned for his ability to get under the skin of his rivals.

Numerous Premier League bosses have been enticed in by his antics and have ultimately paid the price with below-par performances on the field.

Villas-Boas insists there is no chance of him treading a similar path, with it not in his nature to become embroiled in a war of words.

The Portuguese tactician told the Daily Star Sunday: "I have the utmost respect for Sir Alex. I'm not a confrontational guy."

Rather than become obsessed with one club and one manager, Villas-Boas claims there are wider issues that need to be addressed at Stamford Bridge.

He added: "It's not just a question of me taking on Sir Alex or the other Premier League managers.

"It's a question of a top club like Chelsea challenging for the title again.

"Last year, we ended on a very good run to threaten for the title in the last couple of games. I want us to be up there at the beginning."

He's got enough on his plate dealing with the dressing room....and keeping Terry away from his missus! laugh.gif

Yes indeed. dealing with the dressing room. Apparently Mr Villas Boas wants his players to be "social role models". This was described quite rightly as an audacious dream and i can only take from this the Captain Fantastic will no longer be playing for Chavski. It calso makes the coach sound like a naive 33 year old.

Social role model/John Terry :huh:

Yes indeed. dealing with the dressing room. Apparently Mr Villas Boas wants his players to be "social role models". This was described quite rightly as an audacious dream and i can only take from this the Captain Fantastic will no longer be playing for Chavski. It calso makes the coach sound like a naive 33 year old.

Social role model/John Terry :huh:

I give him 2 years before the ole thirties male trouser snake itch gets him in trouble, Villas Boas that is. From the sticks of northern Portugal to the dens of West London with pockets full of Russian money; not a chance he won't go down. :rolleyes: