Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

BBC Sport.com

• " Ibrahimovic played under Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho at Inter and wrote in his autobiography that he was "basically willing to die for" the Portuguese during his time at San Siro."

"Chelsea come into the match on the back of a 1-0 defeat to Crystal Palace which saw them slip behind Liverpool in the race for the Premier League title.

Jose Mourinho questioned his side's character after that reverse at Selhurst Park, but is confident that they will perform better against more glamorous opposition.

"Big match, great stadium, opponents with top quality, they will be fine thumbsup.gif, said the Portuguese.

"They will be in their natural habitat smile.png in that match. They can do a good match there."

thumbsup.gif

Scoring tonight is an absolute must.

Great opportunity for Torres if selected to show he has still got it (which he aint) and thereby Chelsea might get in excess of 20 mil when he is sold on this year.whistling.gif

I'd throw a spanner in the works and play Schurrle as the main 'striker' but with licence to operate anywhere in front of their back four. At the same time,Hazard,Willian and Oscar interchanging to work the spaces.Plenty of pace in midfield to worry their defence is needed. Ramires is wasted playing holding midfield but,with Matic cup tied,that's where he'll be tonight although,with Mikel as his holding midfield partner,he might get forward on the odd occasion. The back four will be as it always is although Ivanovic doesn't deserve his place on his display against Palace. He was devoid.

I see that Bertrand Traore, one of our youngsters out on loan at Vitesse,came off the bench to score his first goal for them last weekend. Definitely a huge talent but has to have a strong mentality to match. Meanwhile Lucas Piazon has been banging them in for them as well.(16 goals I think). Another young'un who will be pushing for a first team spot next season.

Scoring tonight is an absolute must.

Great opportunity for Torres if selected to show he has still got it (which he aint) and thereby Chelsea might get in excess of 20 mil when he is sold on this year.whistling.gif

I'd throw a spanner in the works and play Schurrle as the main 'striker' but with licence to operate anywhere in front of their back four. At the same time,Hazard,Willian and Oscar interchanging to work the spaces.Plenty of pace in midfield to worry their defence is needed. Ramires is wasted playing holding midfield but,with Matic cup tied,that's where he'll be tonight although,with Mikel as his holding midfield partner,he might get forward on the odd occasion. The back four will be as it always is although Ivanovic doesn't deserve his place on his display against Palace. He was devoid.

Bit late now,but he should have played Salah Wiilian Schurrle Hazard and Oscar from the start against Palace on saturday.....maybe next saturday against Stoke?

As for tonight i would be really happy if we can get 2 goals.wether thats a 1-2 win or a 2-2 draw.

Just have to be positive from the off.........after all we play competetive matches every week...........don,t think PSG has the competetiveness in there League that we have on ours imho

Edited by keithsimmonds

Hats off to the Chelsea fans on here who made the point, when the draw was made, that getting a supposedly "easy" team, like PSG, was sometimes more tricky than getting a "big" team, like Bayern, because at least with the big team, you kind of know what to expect.

A point I agreed with and echoed on another thread, only to be shot down with a "how dare you suggest we are afraid" type retort that completely got the wrong end of the stick.

And here we are now, with some unexpected results, I think we'd all agree.

Still, it is only half time so to speak, and I think with Chelsea playing at home for the second leg, it is perfectly doable, and I fancy your chances more than United's. But you are certainly going to need to wake up a bit.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Interesting 'slam' at certain players from Jose.

"We made individual mistakes in areas where, for the whole season, the guys perform and we have no problems.

"They have the right to make their mistakes, because we have other players that make mistakes the whole season."

Hats off to the Chelsea fans on here who made the point, when the draw was made, that getting a supposedly "easy" team, like PSG, was sometimes more tricky than getting a "big" team, like Bayern, because at least with the big team, you kind of know what to expect.

A point I agreed with and echoed on another thread, only to be shot down with a "how dare you suggest we are afraid" type retort that completely got the wrong end of the stick.

Still, it is only half time so to speak, and I think with Chelsea playing at home for the second leg, it is perfectly doable, and I fancy your chances more than United's. But you are certainly going to need to wake up a bit.

I think Mourinho has been pretty successful in plastering some of Chelsea's cracks so far, but the bottom line is that they are a team with deficits that get exploited at times. Outside of a few decent goals from Eto'o their strikers have essentially offered nothing this season. The defenders look weary and burdened. And, let's not forget, PSG is a very talented group.

Not saying they can't turn it over, and If Ibra is out that certainly won't hurt their cause.

• Like 1

I think Mourinho has been pretty successful in plastering some of Chelsea's cracks so far, but the bottom line is that they are a team with deficits that get exploited at times. Outside of a few decent goals from Eto'o their strikers have essentially offered nothing this season. The defenders look weary and burdened. And, let's not forget, PSG is a very talented group.

Not saying they can't turn it over, and If Ibra is out that certainly won't hurt their cause.

Doesn't say much for the state of the premier league that Mourinho's plastering cracks to a side that has to be the second or most expensively put together in the league and second favourite to win the title.

Doesn't say much for the state of the premier league that Mourinho's plastering cracks to a side that has to be the second or most expensively put together in the league and second favourite to win the title.

I was thinking that when I posted the above. thumbsup.gif

"We made individual mistakes in areas where, for the whole season, the guys perform and we have no problems.

"They have the right to make their mistakes, because we have other players that make mistakes the whole season."

he seems to have spent half this season criticising his own players. sort of odd that he keeps on picking them.

The best football we played during the match was just after they scored their first goal up until half time. We were closing down the opponent and forcing mistakes and driving forward. The second half was pathetic. We were standing off too much and very negative in our approach to the game. If the team were under instructions to kill the game and defend or they became tired,I don't know,but Willian ended up playing at right back,Hazard was forced deeper and Ivanovic became a third centre back. This offered the freedom of the park to PSG and they grabbed it with both hands.

One thing I noticed about Lavezzi is how well he can cross a ball in dangerous areas. We haven't got anybody that can do it as well as him. Cech was back to his hesitant best,especially for their second goal,doing his best to get out of the way of the melee that ensued. Torres looked like a broken man the time he was on. Very poor first touch and now lacking in pace. It must be dispiriting for Hazard,Oscar,Schurrle and Willian to take up the goalscoring slack with our three so called strikers misfiring.

• Like 2

he seems to have spent half this season criticising his own players. sort of odd that he keeps on picking them.

He supposedly takes pressure off the players by downplaying Chelsea's chances of winning any silverware, then petulantly criticizes them through the media. Its all part of the Mourinho "magic".whistling.gif

True, with a chronic lack of pace in key areas one of the deficits and,ofcourse, not having a striker worthy of his name.

Some very very good points made in these posts above...tinged with the occasional anti Mou stuff.

Here is my assessment from what I saw last night:

PSG. Deadly in the final third. Wicked quality balls in from set pieces and corners. Apart from that, nothing much to write home about.

Chelsea were dominating when it was 1-1 with long periods of pressure. But we aren't deadly up front. Luis remains a liability. Cech is a great goalie but past his best. He is not mobile enough. At 2-1 we had a chance of turning it round at The Bridge. Last minute deadly winner makes it a different story.

PSG will score at the Bridge. Quite probably more than one. So do the maths.

Mourinho is spot on when he says Chelsea are not ready to race this season.

I can see PSG knocking us out of the CL.

As for the EPL. It is in other teams hands.

How Mourinho delivers truth, lies and motivation is how he does it.

Chelsea are very very unlikely to win silverware this season.

Reality.

And so he is entitled to. Nobody's perfect and Premier League footballers are certainly not that. No matter who they are,they deserved to be bollocked now and then. If they respect the manager's/coach,s opinion,they'll take his criticism on board and try to rectify matters. If you're Mr. Nice Guy all the time,they will take the piss. I don't remember hearing Mourinho directly criticise anyone by name through the media which is the right approach.

• Like 1

And so he is entitled to. Nobody's perfect and Premier League footballers are certainly not that. No matter who they are,they deserved to be bollocked now and then. If they respect the manager's/coach,s opinion,they'll take his criticism on board and try to rectify matters. If you're Mr. Nice Guy all the time,they will take the piss. I don't remember hearing Mourinho directly criticise anyone by name through the media which is the right approach.

he's just an <deleted>. it's never his tactics that didn't work is it? or that he selected these players who have made mistakes all season? or that he spent £20m odd on a midfielder in january when it was patently obvious you needed a striker? or that he loaned out lukaku? no, he's flawless is jose.

Perhaps Mourinho should shoulder some of the blame.

Likes to make glib comments about his "little horse" not being ready and all that baloney but perhaps the finger should be also pointing at the jockey?

I will reserve judgement on that carmine, if he proves over the next 2 seasons that he is inadequate.

I won't force a Moyes down your throat though.

I was being Devil's Advocatewink.png

I think the point Stevie was making was that whilst he's putting blame on his team maybe, just maybe he might take a look in the mirror.

biggrin.png

I will reserve judgement on that carmine, if he proves over the next 2 seasons that he is inadequate.

I won't force a Moyes down your throat though.

I was being Devil's Advocatewink.png

I think the point Stevie was making was that whilst he's putting blame on his team maybe, just maybe he might take a look in the mirror.

biggrin.png

nah he never will, will he? 'cos he's the self-appointed special one.

starting an away champions league quarter-final without a striker on the pitch - what, he was trying to make a point to abramovich?

Mourinho is currently operating with a squad who are not CL Champions top drawer quality.

Free transfer of Eto'o at Christmas was stop gap.

He knows where the weaknesses are.

I think you have a very powerful squad. Problem perhaps is it wasn't improved in the right places?

Mourinho is currently operating with a squad who are not CL Champions top drawer quality.

I think you have a very powerful squad. Problem perhaps is it wasn't improved in the right places?

i don't think you get to spend £60m+ in the summer and then another £45m in january and then complain that you don't have a striker.

• Like 1

i don't think you get to spend £60m+ in the summer and then another £45m in january and then complain that you don't have a striker.

Or loaning out a terrific young striker to Everton whose performances this season makes Mourinho's decision very questionable.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Abramovich and Mourinho have another falling out again.