Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Jose hints at defender exit

Jose Mourinho says he has finished his summer spending and is ready to sell one of his defenders following the arrival of Juliano Belletti from Barcelona Belletti joined Chelsea from Barca for £4million earlier this week after Chelsea ended their interest in Sevilla's Daniel Alves because of the inflated price tag of more than £25million.

Belletti will go straight into the squad for Saturday's game with Portsmouth. Mourinho says the arrival of Belletti brings his signings for the summer to an end and that he was willing to trim his squad.

Chelsea now have Glen Johnson, Lassana Diarra and Paul Ferreira as back-up full-backs to Belletti and it seems as though one of them will leave before the close of the transfer window.

The favourite to move on is Arsenal target Diarra. He has already indicated his desire to leave and with the success of Mikel John Obi in midfield, Mourinho may be ready to grant his wish.

"First of all, this new player gives me what I need which is a closed door in my dressing room. That is very important for me," said Mourinho.

"The market is open until August 31st but not for us. We have the new signings we fought for and we have the balance in the squad.

"But I want my squad to be just a little bit smaller. We have 27 players because Belletti comes in but Arjen Robben goes out, and if we can, we will go down to 26.

"Our squad is a very balanced one. We have two players for each position and the right-back position is a position where we have more than two.

"For the interest of the players, because everyone likes to play and not just be part of the squad, if clubs show a real interest in one of our players and our player shows interest in

leaving for a better situation, that is okay.

"But it is not a drama for me to keep 27 because they are all good players, they are useful and the season is long."

Mourinho would not indicate which of the right-backs he was prepared to let go but it is unlikely to be Ferreira.

Mourinho added: "Paulo is a player that I trust very much. Paulo is with me for six consecutive years and everything that I have won, he has won with me.

"From the defensive point of view he is a safe player. The reason why I wanted to bring in a different right-back is Chelsea, this season, is a different team, as everyone can feel.

"There is a different philosophy of playing so I felt I needed something different on the right, but no doubts, Paulo is a player that I love and I trust.

"Belletti brings what we believe we need, a pure right-back, not an adaptation any more like we did so many times with Diarra, Michael Essien and Shaun Wright-Phillips in that position.

"So we have an attacking right-back and not an ordinary one. He has played in two of the biggest teams in the world - the Brazil national team and for Barcelona. In Brazil he was world champion and in Barcelona he was not just Spanish champion but also European champion."

"Belletti has experience of playing in big teams so he is not scared to play at Chelsea.

"Was he the first option or the second option? For me the point is always the same, the best player is always the best relation between quality and price.

"Belletti is a very good player and the relation between his quality and the price makes him the best."

Belletti paid tribute to Mourinho and he has targeted UEFA Champions League success with Chelsea this season. Belletti said: "Everybody knows Mr Mourinho is one of the best coaches in the world. When he goes for a player, he knows what he wants and he goes for quality. I am sure Chelsea will only be successful under his direction.

"When you play for a team like Chelsea, you always go into games thinking about winning. "The philosophy is to win every competition we are in so I hope we can win that one. Why not?"

Jose Mourinho says he has finished his summer spending and is ready to sell one of his defenders following the arrival of Juliano Belletti from Barcelona Belletti joined Chelsea from Barca for £4million earlier this week after Chelsea ended their interest in Sevilla's Daniel Alves because of the inflated price tag of more than £25million.

Belletti will go straight into the squad for Saturday's game with Portsmouth. Mourinho says the arrival of Belletti brings his signings for the summer to an end and that he was willing to trim his squad.

Chelsea now have Glen Johnson, Lassana Diarra and Paul Ferreira as back-up full-backs to Belletti and it seems as though one of them will leave before the close of the transfer window.

The favourite to move on is Arsenal target Diarra. He has already indicated his desire to leave and with the success of Mikel John Obi in midfield, Mourinho may be ready to grant his wish.

"First of all, this new player gives me what I need which is a closed door in my dressing room. That is very important for me," said Mourinho.

"The market is open until August 31st but not for us. We have the new signings we fought for and we have the balance in the squad.

"But I want my squad to be just a little bit smaller. We have 27 players because Belletti comes in but Arjen Robben goes out, and if we can, we will go down to 26.

"Our squad is a very balanced one. We have two players for each position and the right-back position is a position where we have more than two.

"For the interest of the players, because everyone likes to play and not just be part of the squad, if clubs show a real interest in one of our players and our player shows interest in

"But it is not a drama for me to keep 27 because they are all good players, they are useful and the season is long."

Mourinho would not indicate which of the right-backs he was prepared to let go but it is unlikely to be Ferreira.

Mourinho added: "Paulo is a player that I trust very much. Paulo is with me for six consecutive years and everything that I have won, he has won with me.

"From the defensive point of view he is a safe player. The reason why I wanted to bring in a different right-back is Chelsea, this season, is a different team, as everyone can feel.

"There is a different philosophy of playing so I felt I needed something different on the right, but no doubts, Paulo is a player that I love and I trust.

"Belletti brings what we believe we need, a pure right-back, not an adaptation any more like we did so many times with Diarra, Michael Essien and Shaun Wright-Phillips in that position.

"So we have an attacking right-back and not an ordinary one. He has played in two of the biggest teams in the world - the Brazil national team and for Barcelona. In Brazil he was world champion and in Barcelona he was not just Spanish champion but also European champion."

"Belletti has experience of playing in big teams so he is not scared to play at Chelsea.

"Was he the first option or the second option? For me the point is always the same, the best player is always the best relation between quality and price.

"Belletti is a very good player and the relation between his quality and the price makes him the best."

Belletti paid tribute to Mourinho and he has targeted UEFA Champions League success with Chelsea this season. Belletti said: "Everybody knows Mr Mourinho is one of the best coaches in the world. When he goes for a player, he knows what he wants and he goes for quality. I am sure Chelsea will only be successful under his direction.

"When you play for a team like Chelsea, you always go into games thinking about winning. "The philosophy is to win every competition we are in so I hope we can win that one. Why not?"

my bet is glen johnson ,ona season loan to somewhere........

my bet is glen johnson ,ona season loan to somewhere........

saiurdays game against pompey was'nt the best i've seen seen but 3 points is 3 points ,top of the league :o

Is this story right.......Abramovich is after Ronadinho for 85 Mill quid????? :o:D

On one count you are certinly right, It's probably Abramovich, as he seems to be in charge of the majority of buys these days. Chelsea are run more like the Real Madrid circus, without the direct quotes coming from the president, but you get the feeling that the manager has little say these days.

Chelsea 1-0 Portsmouth

Frank Lampard grabbed the only goal of an open encounter to end Portsmouth's unbeaten start to the season and send Chelsea top of the Premier League.

Claudio Pizarro squandered two fine chances before Lampard burst onto Didier Drogba's exquisite back-flick and drilled the ball under David James.

But Pompey also created plenty and Matt Taylor shot narrowly wide.

And in the final moments Ashley Cole was forced to clear Hermann Hreidarsson's header off the line.

Chelsea began brightly on a scorching day and Pizarro almost justified his inclusion at the expense of Salomon Kalou within a minute but he dragged his shot wide from the edge of the box.

Florent Malouda then fizzed an effort into the side-netting after a surging run by Michael Essien.

And Pizarro had his second excellent chance of the game but headed wastefully over from Malouda's perfectly delivered inswinging free-kick.

But after a nervy opening spell the visitors settled and they started to threaten.

Kanu and the impressive John Utaka were posing plenty of problems to the Blues backline and the visitors began to reap the rewards for matching the home side's 4-4-2 formation.

Pompey's best chance of the half saw Taylor send a deflected effort agonisingly wide off Tal Ben Haim after great hold-up play from Kanu on the right flank.

But with Portsmouth gaining in confidence, Chelsea took the lead through a typical Lampard effort - his third goal in a week.

A long ball was expertly held-up by Drogba and the England midfielder burst through onto the Ivorian's clever back-heel to crash the ball low and hard under James and into the net.

Lampard then tested James with a 25-yard free-kick while seconds before the break Taylor's delightful chipped effort crept just over the bar with Petr Cech beaten.

Both sides continued to fashion chances in the second half but it was Pompey who looked the more likely.

Gary O'Neil twice went close to restoring parity in the opening 15 minutes of the second half.

First the midfielder blazed over from eight yards after more clever play from the elusive Kanu.

And then O'Neil sent a shot just wide after a lightning breakaway following a Chelsea corner.

Juliano Belletti came on for his Chelsea debut with just over 25 minutes left and Pompey nearly profited from the right-back's unfamiliarity with his new surroundings.

A diagonal ball saw Benjani Mwaruwari get in behind the former Barcelona man but the Pompey substitute miscontrolled the ball and was unable to finish from an acute angle.

At the other end a stunning last-ditch tackle by the masterful Sol Campbell denied Drogba with 10 minutes left and the Ivorian then ran through and smashed a shot at goal which James did well to keep out.

But Pompey had the best chance of the game in the dying seconds.

Chelsea failed to clear a set-piece and after Kanu had accidentally blocked David Nugent's close-range effort, Hreidarsson was denied by Ashley Cole's acrobatic headed goalline clearance.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on matchwinner Frank Lampard:

"Frank scored at Reading and Liverpool and now it's four consecutive matches for England and Chelsea. They were important goals for us and every goal meant something.

"It doesn't surprise me because Lampard is Lampard and he deserves it.

"When he plays he is the best when he doesn't he is the second or third best; he is a fantastic player."

Portsmouth first team coach Joe Jordan:

"In previous years we have come here and not done ourselves justice but we gave them a game today.

"We played well but it's all very well saying we did deserve something when we end up with nothing.

"It was not meant to be and that was summed up in the last few minutes when we had a couple of great chances but fair play to them, they cleared their lines."

Chelsea: Cech, Essien, Terry, Ben-Haim, Ashley Cole, Wright-Phillips (Joe Cole 75), Obi (Belletti 65), Lampard, Malouda, Drogba, Pizarro (Kalou 63).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Alex.

Goals: Lampard 31.

Portsmouth: James, Lauren (Pamarot 82), Distin, Campbell, Hreidarsson, O'Neil (Mwaruwari 61), Davis, Utaka, Muntari, Taylor (Nugent 83), Kanu.

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, Hughes.

Booked: Davis, Muntari.

Att: 41,501.

Ref: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire).

I will believe this when I see it!! :o

Roman's dream scheme: Get me Ronaldinho, the best player in the world... by Friday!

Roman Abramovich has held two meetings with Ronaldinho's brother and adviser, the second in London this weekend, in the hope of bringing the Barcelona superstar to Chelsea.

In the most audacious transfer business of his Chelsea tenure, the Russian billionaire spent the weekend entertaining Roberto de Assis Moreira, flying him in on his private jet and putting him up at the exclusive Lanesborough Hotel in Mayfair.

I will believe this when I see it!! :o

Roman's dream scheme: Get me Ronaldinho, the best player in the world... by Friday!

Roman Abramovich has held two meetings with Ronaldinho's brother and adviser, the second in London this weekend, in the hope of bringing the Barcelona superstar to Chelsea.

In the most audacious transfer business of his Chelsea tenure, the Russian billionaire spent the weekend entertaining Roberto de Assis Moreira, flying him in on his private jet and putting him up at the exclusive Lanesborough Hotel in Mayfair.

Maybe it's not about football, just that Roman is looking to have a bit of fun with impressionable young men :D

Mourinho wants more

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho admits he wants his team to improve after watching them scrape a 1-0 win over Portsmouth.

The Blues secured the battled points thanks to a 31st minute strike from Frank Lampard and Mourinho admits his team had to work hard for the victory.

Lampard's strike now means it is 65 games unbeaten at home for the Blues, but Mourinho sees room for improvement.

"I can easily say I am happy with the points," Mourniho told Sky Sports News. "But, I want my team to play better.

"If I can try to justify why we did not play the way I want my team to play I would say that it is our own fault of course.

"But, Portsmouth had a word on that because they are a good team. The weather did not help either because it was very hot.

"The good thing is we have won difficult matches, we stay strong at home, the record goes on and the team is highly motivated."

Mourniho also praised Lampard, who has now scored four goals in for games for club and country, for netting another vital goal for Chelsea.

Lampard has been under-fire recently following some inconsistent performances, but Mourinho insists he is not surprised by the goal scoring form of his midfield ace.

"The goals he has scored for us have all been important because they have got us points," Mourinho added.

"It doesn't surprise me because Lampard is Lampard, but I am very happy because he deserves it."

Bridge targets Blues return

Wayne Bridge is determined to win his place in the Chelsea side once his regains his fitness.

Bridge is making a quicker than expected recovery from the hip operation he underwent earlier in the summer.

The full-back is working hard on his fitness and has vowed to fight Ashley Cole for a starting spot in Jose Mourinho's first XI.

"It [the injury] has made me a bit more determined," Bridge told Sky Sports News.

"Obviously it is a long season ahead and I just have to wait and see how it goes when I get back fit.

"I am definitely determined to get back and make sure I am as fit as possible and do the best I can for the club and see how it goes."

Bridge has been happy with Chelsea's start to the new season with the Blues currently sitting top of the table after four games.

The former Southampton man is refusing to get carried away by their start, but accepts it has given them something to build on as they look to regain the title from Manchester United.

"We can't get too excited as it is a long season," added Bridge.

"But you would like to think as the season goes along we are not going to drop too many points.

"It is a great start and something to build on."

Yet again we get a tricky draw! I'm sure it will be as the draw came out, us and Valencia going through.

Champions League draw

Group A

LIVERPOOL

Porto

Marseille

Besiktas

Group B

CHELSEA

Valencia

Schalke 04

Rosenborg

Group C

REAL MADRID

Werder Bremen

Lazio

Olympiakos

Group D

AC MILAN

Benfica

Celtic

Shakhtar Donetsk

Group E

BARCELONA

Lyon

Stuttgart

Rangers

Group F

MANCHESTER UNITED

Roma

Sporting Lisbon

Dynamo Kiev

Group G

INTER MILAN

PSV Eindhoven

CSKA Moscow

Fenerbahce

Group H

ARSENAL

Sevilla/AEK Athens

Steau Bucharest

Slavia Prague

Best wishes Jonno!

Portsmouth sign full-back Johnson

Portsmouth have signed Glen Johnson from Chelsea on a four-year deal for a fee believed to be about £4m.

The 23-year-old right-back, who joined Chelsea from West Ham for £6m in July 2003, spent last season on loan at the Fratton Park club.

He was Chelsea's first signing of the Roman Abramovich era but soon found himself moved down the pecking order behind Paulo Ferreira and Geremi.

Johnson has five England caps, having made his debut in 2003 against Denmark.

Arsenal take Diarra from Chelsea

Arsenal completed a late move to sign midfielder Lassana Diarra from Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

The Gunners say the 22-year-old Frenchman, who can play at right-back, has signed a long-term deal.

The former Le Harve player said: "I have great respect for the manager Arsene Wenger and am attracted by the style of football that the team plays.

"Of course I am excited by what the future holds and keen to play my part in helping Arsenal fight for trophies."

Lassana Diarra, who has played for France in their Euro 2008 qualifying campaign, will wear the number eight shirt.

Wenger added: "Lassana is a multi-functional player, making him a great addition to our squad. Not only is he hard working, he has a creative edge and is comfortable playing in the middle of the pitch or at right-back."

Lampard suffers thigh tear

Frank Lampard has given Jose Mourinho and Steve McClaren a major injury headache after tearing his left thigh in training.

The Chelsea midfielder suffered the injury at the end of Friday's training session and was sent to hospital where a scan revealed the full extent of the problem.

The 29-year-old is certain to miss Sunday's Premier League trip to Aston Villa and a major question mark hangs over whether he will be fit for England's crucial Euro 2008 double-header.

McClaren's men are up against Israel at Wembley on 8th September before taking on Russia four days later.

David Beckham has already been ruled out of McClaren's plans with a knee injury while Steven Gerrard is still troubled by a fractured toe, although he is in the 26-man squad.

And with Lampard now a doubt, that could leave the England boss without three of his four first-choice midfielders for the two vital qualifiers.

A statement on Chelsea's official website read: "Chelsea can confirm that Frank Lampard was injured in training and a scan has revealed that he has a tear in his left thigh.

"It is too early to say how long the injury will keep him from playing."

Carling Cup third round draw

Blackburn v Birmingham

Reading v Liverpool

Manchester United v Coventry

Tottenham v Middlesbrough

Hull City v Chelsea

Blackpool v Southend

West Ham v Plymouth

Arsenal v Newcastle

Luton v Charlton

Manchester City v Norwich

Sheffield United v Morecambe

Sheffield Wednesday v Everton

Fulham v Bolton

Burnley v Portsmouth

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest or Leicester City

West Brom v Cardiff City

Ties to be played week commencing September 24th end.

Aston Villa v Chelsea

Villa Park

Sunday, 2 September

Kick-off: 1600 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day.

Aston Villa defender Curtis Davies is unlikely to make his debut because of a hamstring problem, but Zat Knight will go straight into their squad.

Shaun Maloney is pushing for a start but keeper Thomas Sorensen and Patrick Berger are still not fit to return.

Chelsea are almost certain to be missing Frank Lampard, after he pulled up in training with a thigh strain.

Florent Malouda is looking to shake off a knock, Andriy Shevchenko is fit to make his first appearance this term.

Aston Villa (from): Carson, Taylor, Gardner, Mellberg, Knight, Laursen, Cahill, Bouma, Young, Petrov, Barry, Reo-Coker, Maloney, Osbourne, Moore, Carew, Agbonlahor, Harewood, Davies.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Ferreira, Belletti, Terry, Alex, Ben Haim, A Cole, Makelele, Diarra, Mikel, Malouda, Drogba, Shevchenko, Kalou, Sidwell, J Cole, Wright-Phillips, Pizarro.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea are seeking their 1,500th league win.

The former champions are on the longest current unbeaten run in the Premier League of 18 matches.

Aston Villa warmed up for this clash with the former champions by thrashing Wrexham 0-5 in the Carling Cup at the Racecourse Ground on Tuesday night.

The Blues are looking for a 50th competitive victory over Villa.

Villa are aiming to extend their undefeated home Premiership sequence against Chelsea to nine games. They've not lost a home League game to the Londoners since March 1999 (two wins, six draws).

CLUB FORM

ASTON VILLA

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Made a level start to this Premier League campaign; won one, drawn one and lost one, scored three and conceded three.

2. Lost one of the last 12 league matches; 1-2, home to Liverpool on 11 August.

3. One of two clubs yet to open the scoring in a Premier League game this season. The other club is Portsmouth.

4. One of three clubs yet to score in the first half of a Premier League game this season. The others are Sunderland and West Ham.

5. Won two of the last eight home league games; against Sheffield United and Fulham.

CHELSEA

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures)

1. Won 12 and drawn six Premier League games since losing 0-2 away to Liverpool at Anfield on 20 January - their only loss in 31 league outings.

2. One of five clubs still holding an unbeaten Premier League record. The others clubs are Arsenal, Blackburn, Liverpool and Newcastle.

3. Won three of the first four league matches; Manchester City are the only other club to have achieved it so far.

4. Won 85 of 118 Premier League matches under Jose Mourinho, losing just nine.

5. Ten points out of 12 leaves them a point better off than at this identical stage last season, when they had 12 points from the first five fixtures.

6. One of three clubs to have dropped as few as two Premier League points so far. The others are Arsenal and Liverpool.

7. Gained seven of their 10 points from losing positions. Only Portsmouth have gained Premier League points this season from as many as three games in which they had conceded the opening goal.

8. Seven goals from four games represents the strongest attack in the Premier League; averaging one goal scored every 51 minutes of football played.

9. Picked up 21 points from a last available 27 on the road (six wins, three draws), and lost one of the last 15 away league games (at Anfield in January).

10. Not conceded more than a single goal on the road since the defeat to Liverpool. They have kept five clean sheets in the last nine league games away from Stamford Bridge, and conceded just one goal in each of the other four. Failed to score in one of the last nine away from home; 0-0 at Newcastle on 22 April.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

ASTON VILLA

Marlon HAREWOOD, needs one goal to total 100 in his league career (Nottingham Forest, Ipswich and West Ham).

If he plays:-

Scott CARSON will be keeping goal on the eve of his 22nd birthday.

Olof MELLBERG will be participating on the eve of his 30th birthday.

If on the field from the outset:-

Wilfred BOUMA will be making his 50th start in an Aston Villa shirt.

CHELSEA

Chelsea and Everton have the longest goal scorers lists in the Premier League this season of five different players.

Frank LAMPARD has scored in each of his last three league outings.

LAMPARD has netted six career goals against Aston Villa; one for West Ham, four in the Premier League for Chelsea and one in the League Cup for Chelsea.

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea are unbeaten in seven league and cup matches against Aston Villa.

Villa's last victory over Chelsea was 3-2 in this corresponding fixture on 12 April 2004, when a Darius Vassell penalty, and goals from Thomas Hitzlsperger and Lee Hendrie ensured them maximum points.

Chelsea's most recent league win at Villa Park was 0-3 on 21 March 1999, when Tore Angel Flo got a brace and Bjarne Goldbaek, the other. They have drawn on the last three visits.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Villa 47 wins, Chelsea 44, Draws 29

Prem: Villa 8 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 9

at Villa only

League (inc PL): Villa 29 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 18

Prem: Villa 4 wins, Chelsea 5, Draws 6

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Aston Villa 0-0 Chelsea

2 January 2007 - Ref: Phil Dowd

REFEREE

Mark Clattenburg (Tyne & Wear)

Aston Villa 2-0 Chelsea

A debut goal from Zat Knight and a late Gabriel Agbonlahor strike saw Aston Villa end Chelsea's 18-match unbeaten streak in the league.

Knight climbed above Didier Drogba to head in a Gareth Barry corner in the second minute of the second half.

Chelsea threw everything at Villa in the final half hour but came up against a determined Villa backline.

Salomon Kalou dragged a shot wide before Villa broke and Agbonlahor stabbed in Ashley Young's driven cross.

It was a frustrating afternoon for Jose Mourinho at Villa Park, where Chelsea have not won since 1999.

But it was a terrific game for the neutral - not to mention the Villa fans - with an Agbonlahor shot on the turn that was beaten out by Petr Cech firing an early warning sign that Martin O'Neill's side meant business.

Chelsea went close through long-range efforts by Michael Essien and Florent Malouda.

John Terry headed over and Shaun Wright-Phillips saw a shot well turned around the post by Scott Carson as Chelsea began to move up the gears.

It was real end-to-end stuff with the quartet of Young, Agbonlahor, John Carew and Luke Moore providing a new-look Chelsea backline with plenty to think about.

Drogba was not enjoying his most profitable afternoon as Villa's own reworked defence made him fight for everything.

He showed great strength to hold off Martin Laursen, but having done the physical work he could not add the finishing touch and shot wide from the edge of the area.

A lively Wright-Phillips lashed into the side-netting but there was a let-off for Chelsea just before half-time when a Young cross fell for Barry, only for Moore to get in his way attempting an ambitious overhead kick.

Villa have yet to score a league goal in the first half this season, but whatever manager O'Neill says at half-time seems to be working.

The home side made it hard for Chelsea at Villa Park

Within a minute of the kick off Young had a shot tipped over by Cech and from Barry's corner Knight climbed above Drogba to head powerfully past Cech.

It was the second goal in successive games for £3.5m capture Knight - the other an own goal for Fulham on his last visit to Villa Park that also helped provide his new employers with the three points.

Mourinho wasted no time in throwing Claudio Pizarro on, soon to be followed by Joe Cole and Kalou.

But despite plenty of possession and some nervous moments for the home side, Chelsea struggled to come up with clear-cut chances.

Their best opportunity to equalise looked to be from a set-piece, with Terry heading over from one of their succession of corners.

Kalou shot wide from a promising position but as Chelsea poured forward they left themselves open to Villa's pace, and when Young broke down the left his driven effort was guided in by Agbonlahor.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill:

"It's a great day. Chelsea are brilliant and we're delighted that we've won.

"Zat's goal calmed us down then Chelsea took the initiative slightly, but we kept at it and grabbed a second.

"I was very, very pleased with their attitude. It has been terrific since the opening day defeat to Liverpool and this will give us a big, big boost."

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho:

"It was a good game with good teams but a result that Chelsea didn't deserve at all.

"We dominated the first half, reacted well to their goal and we deserved to get a point at least.

"We made a mistake at the corner for their goal. We shouldn't be conceding goals like that but also had enough chances to score."

Aston Villa: Carson, Mellberg, Knight, Laursen, Bouma, Agbonlahor, Reo-Coker, Barry, Young, Moore, Carew (Petrov 79).

Subs Not Used: Taylor, Harewood, Gardner, Maloney.

Booked: Reo-Coker, Barry, Agbonlahor, Carew.

Goals: Knight 47, Agbonlahor 88.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Terry, Alex, Ashley Cole, Wright-Phillips (Joe Cole 63), Makelele (Kalou 63), Essien, Malouda, Obi (Pizarro 52), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Drogba.

Att: 37,714.

Ref: Mark Clattenburg (Tyne & Wear).

Mourinho predicts open title race

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes the Premier League title will be contested by more than the usual 'big-four' teams this season.

After Chelsea's 2-0 defeat at Aston Villa on Sunday, Mourinho said: "It will become more normal for the big teams to lose matches and points.

"The other teams outside the top four have spent lots of money and brought players in to bolster their teams.

"Villa are one example but you can find a lot of other examples."

He added: "It will be more difficult to play against these teams because they are better.

"The league is open but it is the first weekend of September and we are only five matches into the season."

And of the current top four places in the Premier League only Everton are a surprise inclusion - with Liverpool on top, Arsenal second and Chelsea in fourth.

So it is unlikely that Mourinho will be hitting the panic button at this stage.

He was also keen to play down the significance of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich leaving the stands shortly after Villa scored their second goal.

"I think the owner leaves the stadium when he wants to leave," Mourinho said.

"I went to see England-Germany the other day and I left early because I wanted to beat the traffic."

Low criticises Blues over Ballack

Germany coach Joachim Low has criticised Chelsea's decision to leave Michael Ballack out of their Champions League squad for the group stages.

The 31-year-old German international's omission means he cannot play before the knockout stages begin in February.

Low said: "Chelsea's doctors estimate he will not be able to play for two to three more months.

"But Michael is much more optimistic and expects to play sooner. For us, Chelsea's decision isn't justifiable."

Ballack has not played since undergoing ankle surgery in May and the Chelsea medical department maintain the Germany captain would not be back in time to play any part in the group qualifiers.

"I discussed it with Michael and he could not fully explain Chelsea's decision to me," said Low.

The fact that Chelsea are unable to find a place in their 25-man squad for Ballack when he may be fit for some of their Group B games is likely to fuel speculation about his future.

However, Low had previously said he was hopeful Ballack would be fit to play in his country's Euro 2008 qualifying match against the Republic of Ireland on 13 October.

And if that is the case, Ballack would be fit for all of Chelsea's Champions League matches except September's home tie against Rosenborg and their trip to Valencia on 3 October.

But Chelsea believe that is an unlikely scenario and have decided against the gamble.

A statement from the club read: "We hope Michael's recovery is as quick as possible.

"We hope Michael returns to full training soon so that he will then be available for the Champions League latter stages."

SWP: No Chelsea regrets

Shaun Wright-Phillips has stated that he has no regrets about joining Chelsea two years ago, and that he feels the move has made him a better player.

The 25-year-old switched to Stamford Bridge in 2005 for £21million, yet he has struggled to hold down a regular starting place, making more substitute appearances for Chelsea in two seasons than he did in seven at former club Manchester City.

However, speaking in Zoo, the talented midfielder said: "I have never, ever regretted moving to Chelsea. It was a move forward."

The speedy winger has since found form this season and feels that his time at Chelsea has improved him as a player and a person.

"It (the move) has improved me mentally," he said. "I've learnt to be a lot more patient with things on and off the pitch."

Wright-Phillips denied that his career has been on hold for two years, but that he has spent his time learning. "Those two years of learning will add another two years at the end of my career, so that's how I look at it."

The midfielder also said that he feels his form never went away. "I was always confident; working hard" he added. "I knew it was only a matter of time before things would start going well.

"I'm just happy to be playing well for my club and playing well for the people that had my back the whole time, like the fans and the manager."

Wright-Phillips is in Steve McClaren's plans for the upcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia and has his sights set on a regular place in the England squad.

"It's great to be back in the England squad," he said. "If I continue to play well, I don't see why I can't stay in there."

Terry hails Wright-Phillips

John Terry has saluted Shaun Wright-Phillips for battling back into the Chelsea side.

The winger has put two frustrating years as a fringe player behind him this season, turning in a number of sparkling performances to establish himself as a key member of Jose Mourinho's team.

Wright-Phillips could now line up on the wing for England in their Euro 2008 qualifiers against Israel and Russia, and Terry believes his success is good reward for hard work.

"He has been awesome since day one," the defender said in the Daily Mirror.

"I spoke to him on the plane over from to America in pre-season and he told me he wanted to give it a real go this season. I think he has done that.

"Once we got to America he had a chat with the manager and told him 'I love it here, I want to stay'.

"Since then Shaun has been different class.

"A few players might have reacted differently in Shaun's situation and settled for a place on the bench, but he has been playing week-in, week-out.

"The way he has been playing makes it look like he is really enjoying himself."

Mourinho warns Blues duo

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has told Andrei Shevchenko and Michael Ballack to make sure they put the team's interests first.

The future of both players is still uncertain with neither particularly shining in the Premier League so far.

And Mourinho has warned the pair to start performing or risk being left out of the squad.

"Shevchenko and Ballack have to give more because their status is not superior to that of the others," Mourinho told The Sun.

"Each is a champion," he added. "They have quality, status and fame. They're rich and have already won a lot of trophies. All that is an undeniable fact.

"But it's one thing their being the centre surrounded by 20 nobodies, and it's something else these two players arriving at a club where the others are already champions, famous and rich."

Mourinho insists everyone at the club is equal in their abilities and their quality and that no player should receive star treatment.

"We were prepared to receive players such as Shevchenko or Ballack because they are of the same dimension as those already playing at Chelsea," said Mourinho.

"Lampard, Terry, Drogba are equal to these two," he added.

"But you can't build anything if you have to have someone special at its centre. When you have a group, everyone has to be equal to achieve the end we all want."

Robben thanks blues fans

Arjen Robben has spoken to the Chelsea fans for the first time since leaving the club in August.

Robben, who's still in contact with most of the players at Chelsea, said his highlights from his three years at the club were winning all the trophies that are available in England and that it was difficult not being able to say farewell to his team mates and fans in person.

'I have some contact with the players, but for me it was difficult to leave because I had a great time in my three great years at Chelsea and I think I made a lot of friend's as well,' said Robben who was speaking exclusively to Chelsea TV.

'It was difficult because there was no time to say goodbye, because the deal was closed on the Wednesday at ten o'clock in the evening and the following morning I had to fly so there was no time to say goodbye, I only spoke to them on the phone.'

'If I have time I would want to come back and say goodbye,' said Robben, 'to the supporters as well but I don't know if I'll have a chance because at Chelsea the programme is as busy as it is here, we play a lot of games at the weekend and mid-week as well.

'So if I have one day off I would want to come back and say goodbye to everybody because I think it is important. To the fans I owe a big thank you because they were always good to me, I always had great support off them and I had a good relationship with them as well,' he added.

'In my three years I won all the prizes there are to win in England. The FA Cup we won in the end, the Carling Cup twice, the League twice, the Community Shield, so for me that was the highlights,' said Robben.

'But of course for me I was unfortunate with injuries and I didn't have as much impact as I wanted to but that's life,' he added.

Although he's still waiting for the chance to play in his debut, Robben believes he has recovered strength since his knee surgery last season and is looking forward to playing for Real Madrid.

'Things are good, they gave me a bit of time to adapt to everything and become strong because I was still struggling from my surgery last year, so my preseason was not the best but they gave me a bit of time,' he said. 'At the moment I feel very good and hopefully I can make my debut soon.'

Robben left a message for Blues fans to express his gratitude for making his Chelsea career so enjoyable.

'I want to thank them for all the great support they gave me, it must have been frustrating for them to see me injured so many times. But every time I came back I always got a great reception and a warm welcome, so I want to thank them very much and I really enjoyed playing in front of them every time.'

Cup hero Porterfield dies at 61

Sunderland legend Ian Porterfield has died, aged 61. Porterfield, who scored the Black Cats' winning goal against Leeds United in the 1973 FA Cup final, had been suffering from cancer.

Born in Dunfermline, Porterfield also enjoyed a successful management career with Rotherham, Sheffield United, Aberdeen, Reading and Chelsea.

He went on to coach in Korea and took charge of several national teams, and his final job was as boss of Armenia.

Porterfield was in charge of Armenia for their superb 1-1 draw against Portugal in Yerevan on 22 August which left Luiz Felipe Scolari's superstars facing a fight to qualify for the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

Porterfield's widow Glenda said: "He may have been a football man all his life, but I know him best as a wonderful human being who was liked by everyone he came in contact with.

"He had his wish to die in harness. Just over two weeks ago, we flew to Armenia for the Portugal game and I'll always remember what happened at the open training session at the stadium on the day before the game.

"The stadium was packed to see all the Portuguese stars like Ronaldo, Deco and the rest, but when Ian walked out, they all stood up and shouted his name. It was very moving."

Porterfield replaced Sir Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen following his compatriot's departure for Manchester United in 1986 and the United boss said: "His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football.

"It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United.

"I played against him when he was with Raith Rovers. He was an exceptional footballer, blessed with a lot of natural talent."

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn told the club's website: "It is a very, very sad day for the football club and of course our immediate thoughts are with Ian's wife Glenda and his family during what is a tremendously difficult time.

"The word legend can be very much over-used in the modern era of football, but Ian is what I would call a true legend of the game.

"He is part of what can only be described as an institution in the long and proud history of Sunderland AFC - the famous FA Cup-winning team of 1973.

"His appearances for the club during 10 loyal years at Roker Park, not to mention his winning goal at Wembley, also ensure that his name is up there with the likes of Charlie Hurley, Raich Carter and Bobby Gurney."

Sunderland's next match in the Premier League at the Stadium of Light is against Reading - who Porterfield managed for 20 months until February 1991.

Cup hero Porterfield dies at 61

Sunderland legend Ian Porterfield has died, aged 61. Porterfield, who scored the Black Cats' winning goal against Leeds United in the 1973 FA Cup final, had been suffering from cancer.

Born in Dunfermline, Porterfield also enjoyed a successful management career with Rotherham, Sheffield United, Aberdeen, Reading and Chelsea.

He went on to coach in Korea and took charge of several national teams, and his final job was as boss of Armenia.

Porterfield was in charge of Armenia for their superb 1-1 draw against Portugal in Yerevan on 22 August which left Luiz Felipe Scolari's superstars facing a fight to qualify for the European Championship finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

Porterfield's widow Glenda said: "He may have been a football man all his life, but I know him best as a wonderful human being who was liked by everyone he came in contact with.

"He had his wish to die in harness. Just over two weeks ago, we flew to Armenia for the Portugal game and I'll always remember what happened at the open training session at the stadium on the day before the game.

"The stadium was packed to see all the Portuguese stars like Ronaldo, Deco and the rest, but when Ian walked out, they all stood up and shouted his name. It was very moving."

Porterfield replaced Sir Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen following his compatriot's departure for Manchester United in 1986 and the United boss said: "His death so young is a tragedy for his family and for football.

"It isn't long ago when he was coaching in Korea that I spoke with him with the intention of getting a few young players over to United.

"I played against him when he was with Raith Rovers. He was an exceptional footballer, blessed with a lot of natural talent."

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn told the club's website: "It is a very, very sad day for the football club and of course our immediate thoughts are with Ian's wife Glenda and his family during what is a tremendously difficult time.

"The word legend can be very much over-used in the modern era of football, but Ian is what I would call a true legend of the game.

"He is part of what can only be described as an institution in the long and proud history of Sunderland AFC - the famous FA Cup-winning team of 1973.

"His appearances for the club during 10 loyal years at Roker Park, not to mention his winning goal at Wembley, also ensure that his name is up there with the likes of Charlie Hurley, Raich Carter and Bobby Gurney."

Sunderland's next match in the Premier League at the Stadium of Light is against Reading - who Porterfield managed for 20 months until February 1991.

i remember his goal ,fairy tale stuff considering leeds were such a great side ,r.i.p

Chelsea v Blackburn

Stamford Bridge

Saturday, 15 September

Kick-off: 1715 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on Match of the Day. Featured game on Score and Final Score.

Chelsea will be without striker Didier Drogba (knee) and midfielder Frank Lampard (thigh).

Ricardo Carvalho (thigh), Michael Ballack (ankle) and Wayne Bridge (ankle) also miss out, while striker Andriy Shevchenko is in the squad.

Blackburn are waiting to confirm the fitness of Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy and Aaron Mokoena after they were away on international duty.

But the trio are expected to be fit to give Rovers a full-strength squad.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Belletti, A Cole, Ben Haim, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Mikel, J Cole, Malouda, Sidwell, Pizarro, Drogba, Shevchenko, Kalou, Wright-Phillips, Lampard.

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Enckelman, Emerton, Samba, Nelsen, Ooijer, Warnock, Bentley, Dunn, Savage, Pedersen, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Derbyshire, Roberts, Tugay, Mokoena, Rigters, Khizanishvili.

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho:

"Sheva is selected and he will have minutes on Saturday. It's good to have him back. We need everybody. We need to rotate players.

"Shevchenko played two matches for his national team. I saw the matches and especially in the second one, I was happy with the way he performed."

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes on Chelsea's 65-game unbeaten home record:

"The way we are playing at the moment, if anybody can possibly test Chelsea it certainly could be us (who ends it).

"We're playing with a lot of confidence, a lot of ability and a real threat at the opposition goal.

"You have to be confident when you go to places like Chelsea. It is a big ask, because they have a fantastic home record, but it's there to be broken."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

Chelsea lost 2-0 at Aston Villa last time out, but have not suffered back-to-back defeats in 43 Premier League outings since the end of the season before last on 2 and 7 May 2006, away to Blackburn and Newcastle respectively.

The Londoners are chasing their 1,500th League win, to extend their record-breaking unbeaten home run to 66 league games.

Blackburn are defending a 10-match undefeated Premier League run, on the eve of Mark Hughes' third anniversary as Rovers manager. They have not lost in 14 league and cup games since last season's FA Cup semi-final, when they fell foul of Chelsea.

Chelsea were going for quadruple honours when they met and beat Blackburn for the fourth time last season, winning the FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford 2-1 on 15 April, after extra time. That was their 100th competitive meeting.

CLUB FORM

CHELSEA

1. Defeat to Aston Villa ended an 18-match unbeaten sequence in the Premier League.

2. Ten points after five games represents the clubs' worst start to a Premier League campaign in five seasons.

3. One of four clubs with a 100% home Premier League record. The others are Arsenal, Manchester City and Wigan.

4. Won the last two at Stamford Bridge; against Birmingham 3-2, and Portsmouth 1-0.

5. Not lost a home Premiership game under Mourinho (won 46, drawn 13), nor been defeated in the top division at the Bridge since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 50, drawn 15). Combining Mourinho's record with FC Porto, he is unbeaten in 97 home games in the English and Portuguese leagues (won 82, drawn 15).

6. Should the run of home matches without defeat continue, Mourinho's personal sequence will reach 100 on 27 October (against Manchester City).

7. Failed to score in one of the last 42 home league games; 0-0 against Manchester United on 9 May.

8. This match precedes Tuesday's opening Champions League group B fixture, home to Rosenborg and the Premier League visit to Manchester United on Sunday, 23 September.

BLACKBURN ROVERS

1. Played and won more games than any other Premier League club this season.

2. Undefeated in their eight matches in all competitions; won six, drawn two.

3. One of four clubs still holding an unbeaten Premier League record. The others are Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle.

4. Won five and drawn five of their last 10 Premier League matches, since the 2-1 reverse, home to Aston Villa on 7 April.

5. Scored in each of the last 15 Premier League games; since losing 1-0, away to Everton on 10 February.

6. Netted one goal in each of the last three league matches.

7. Made their best start to a Premier League season since promotion back to this league in 2001.

8. Received more red cards in Premier League matches last season than any other club (seven), and already been shown more cards in this campaign than any other club (17; two red, 15 yellow).

9. This match precedes a Uefa Cup first round first leg tie, away to Larissa of Greece on Thursday.

KEY PLAYER NOTES

CHELSEA

Frank LAMPARD is Chelsea's leading scorer with three goals - all in the Premier League.

LAMPARD has scored six times in this league for Chelsea against Blackburn, and also netted against them in last season's FA Cup.

BLACKBURN ROVERS

Roque SANTA CRUZ and Benni McCARTHY are Blackburn's top scorers with three goals each. SANTA CRUZ heads the club list in the Premier League, with two.

Brad FRIEDEL has made 118 consecutive Premier League appearances for Blackburn, in a sequence that started at the beginning of the 2004-05 season.

David DUNN needs a hat-trick to total 50 career club goals (Blackburn and Birmingham).

If he plays:-

Robbie SAVAGE will be making his 400th career league appearance (Crewe, Leicester, Birmingham and Blackburn).

Suspended:-

TUGAY Kerimoglu (one match)

HEAD TO HEAD

Chelsea are bidding for a fourth successive home Premier League win over Blackburn.

Rovers have won only one of their last seven Premiership visits to Stamford Bridge. They were victorious by the odd goal in three on 22 February 2003, when Dwight Yorke and David Dunn scored their goals.

Home and away

League (inc PL): Chelsea 35 wins, Blackburn 32, Draws 25

Prem: Chelsea 8 wins, Blackburn 11, Draws 7

at Chelsea only

League (inc PL): Chelsea 23 wins, Blackburn 12, Draws 11

Prem: Chelsea 3 wins, Blackburn 5, Draws 5

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 3-0 Blackburn Rovers

31 January 2007 - Ref: Graham Poll

Chelsea scorers: Drogba 6, Lampard 67, Kalou 90

REFEREE

Howard Webb (Yorkshire)

Chelsea 0-0 Blackburn (should of been 1-0)

Chelsea suffered frustration at the hands of determined Blackburn as the Blues were held at Stamford Bridge.

Blackburn keeper Brad Friedel kept Chelsea at bay with a fine save from Michael Essien and a vital late block from Andriy Shevchenko.

Chelsea were furious when Salomon Kalou's 57th-minute close-range finish was controversially ruled offside.

Petr Cech saved well from Robbie Savage, while Blackburn lost defender Christopher Samba with a head injury.

Shevchenko was handed his first start of the season in place of Didier Drogba, who was ruled out with a knee injury.

And he wasted an opportunity to make an impression on Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho when the striker was let down by his touch after a pass from Essien, allowing Friedel to save at his feet.

Friedel had already saved brilliantly from Essien after 26 minutes, diving high to his left to turn away a rising 25-yard drive.

Blackburn coped well with Chelsea's first-half threat and almost snatched a shock lead after 41 minutes when David Bentley's right-wing cross found Morten Gamst Pedersen at the far post but his volley hit the side-netting.

David Dunn was only narrowly off-target with a speculative long-range effort as Chelsea continued to suffer real frustration.

And Mourinho made a double change after 56 minutes, sending on Mikel Jon Obi and Florent Malouda for Steve Sidwell and the subdued Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Chelsea were furious seconds later when Kalou turned in Juliano Belletti's cross, only for the goal to be harshly ruled out for offside.

Blackburn's confidence was growing as the second half went on and keeper Cech was called into action to turn over a 20-yard drive from Savage.

Shevchenko should have put Chelsea ahead with five minutes left, heading Malouda's cross straight at Friedel from point-blank range.

Blackburn defender Samba completed the clearance but at some cost because he was carried off after he was accidentally kicked in the head by Shevchenko.

Referee Howard Webb played eight minutes of injury time and Blackburn survived some anxious moments to celebrate a point at the final whistle.

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Alex, Terry, Ashley Cole (Ben-Haim 88), Wright-Phillips (Malouda 57), Sidwell (Obi 57), Essien, Joe Cole, Kalou, Shevchenko.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ferreira.

Booked: Joe Cole, Belletti.

Blackburn: Friedel, Emerton, Samba (Ooijer 90), Nelsen, Warnock, Bentley, Savage, Dunn (Mokoena 81), Pedersen, McCarthy (Roberts 68), Santa Cruz.

Subs Not Used: Brown, Derbyshire.

Booked: Warnock, Savage.

Att: 41,062

Ref: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire).

I couldn't believe my eye balls when the lino raised his flag! Kalou was behind the ball when the ball was played into the box. We definitely need to be using the same technology that is used in rugby. I don't believe it will slow the game down that much, there is way too much at stake these days. No doubt that idiot lino will be on vacation for a couple of weeks now. :o

Yeah I know what you mean its not nice having 2 points taken from you by the officials, now you know how Liverpool felt when the ref robbed 2 points of us giving you a penalty that never was. didnt hear you boys complaining then :o

I have to agree with you about the technology especially as Jose managed to have a little screen in his dug out to watch the reply, he knew within seconds that the goal should have been allowed. Why cant there be a 5th official sitting somewhere with a small screen watching the replays.

Yeah I know what you mean its not nice having 2 points taken from you by the officials, now you know how Liverpool felt when the ref robbed 2 points of us giving you a penalty that never was. didnt hear you boys complaining then :o

I have to agree with you about the technology especially as Jose managed to have a little screen in his dug out to watch the reply, he knew within seconds that the goal should have been allowed. Why cant there be a 5th official sitting somewhere with a small screen watching the replays.

It's obviously down to the FA or Uefa being too old fashioned, they really need to be brought into the 21st century, the smaller teams could be relegated on such stupid decisions!

never mind a 5th official, what's the point of having a 4th? all they seem to do is stand around chatting to the club managers!