Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Personally (and no sideways swipe intended) I reckon ANYBODY could sit in the dugout at your place and do the job. I don't believe for a minute that the squad you have would benefit or otherwise from whatever manager you employed.

Sure, astute substitutions and team selection are needed and a certain degree of savvy in this area, but this aspect should be within the grasp of pretty much all the the recognised managers.

Jose built the team - that was the achievement. Grant, IMHO, is only riding of the back of the previous work.

The problem as I would foresee would be his ability or otherwise in replenishing the squad. I think he would fall short here.

All this hype about what a wonderful job he's done is OTT. I could have got that lot to Moscow!

p.s. I still hate you all because you knocked my lot out of the Champs League :o

Fair comment Vulcan, I would say though I don't think Grant is getting that much praise, its only come about recently so I think he does deserve whatever praise he gets. I also doubt it is that easy to be a topflight manager, you do need some degree of savvy. Maybe you should start your managerial career in the conference before you take on a super power such as Chelsea FC. Avram should lapp up all the praise now as he won't be manager come August, that position will be filled by one Mr Eriksson. :D

P.s. you know the better team won in the end, I hope you will be supporting us in Moscow.

Personally (and no sideways swipe intended) I reckon ANYBODY could sit in the dugout at your place and do the job. I don't believe for a minute that the squad you have would benefit or otherwise from whatever manager you employed.

Sure, astute substitutions and team selection are needed and a certain degree of savvy in this area, but this aspect should be within the grasp of pretty much all the the recognised managers.

Jose built the team - that was the achievement. Grant, IMHO, is only riding of the back of the previous work.

The problem as I would foresee would be his ability or otherwise in replenishing the squad. I think he would fall short here.

All this hype about what a wonderful job he's done is OTT. I could have got that lot to Moscow!

p.s. I still hate you all because you knocked my lot out of the Champs League :D

Fair comment Vulcan, I would say though I don't think Grant is getting that much praise, its only come about recently so I think he does deserve whatever praise he gets. I also doubt it is that easy to be a topflight manager, you do need some degree of savvy. Maybe you should start your managerial career in the conference before you take on a super power such as Chelsea FC. Avram should lapp up all the praise now as he won't be manager come August, that position will be filled by one Mr Eriksson. :D

P.s. you know the better team won in the end, I hope you will be supporting us in Moscow.

Too right mate - need bragging rights reference beaten by eventual winners eh? And how can I possibly shout for the other lot!

Avram needs a pat on the back (is that an Irish Queer?) just for the stick he's taken, but with all due respect I reckon Red Rom should spend a couple of quid and get him off to charm school.

Anyway all the best in Moscow - see ya next season - ours is over of course :o

Wenger supports Grant

Arsene Wenger feels Avram Grant has not been given the credit he deserves for his achievements at Chelsea.

The Israeli - who replaced Jose Mourinho as Chelsea manager in September - has guided the Blues to the final of the UEFA Champions League for the first time in their history and also hauled them back into the race for the Premier League title.

Chelsea captain John Terry has already declared Grant has done enough to secure his position as manager, while the coach himself insists he is happy with his situation at the club despite continued speculation Grant is set to be replaced by billionaire owner Roman Abramovich no matter what the result against Manchester United in Moscow later this month or indeed the outcome of the title race.

Wenger already knew Grant from when he visited Arsenal's training facilities during his time with the Israel national team and believes the former Portsmouth director of football has been given a rough ride.

"Football is down to decision making about human beings. That means the rationality is not always the first criteria to make decisions," Wenger noted.

"Only you (the media) believe that if Mourinho leaves, the club will die. Do you really think I believe that? They have great players - do you think because Mourinho goes [Frank] Lampard becomes average?

"Grant has got some experience. He has a completely different style to Mourinho - but that doesn't mean he is not good.

"He does not say all day 'it is only me'. Everybody thinks because he does not say that, he is bad. That is not right.

"You look at what people do and what they say, does it make sense how they act? I like his style."

Wenger added: "Avram Grant is a guy who has worked before with teams and had success in Israel.

"What you have to accept is that you can work in Finland, Israel and if you have some qualities to handle a team it can work at Chelsea as well.

"It is not only one or two guys who can do it."

Wenger, though, accepted Grant had come into a dream job in terms of the team he inherited.

"It is always the players who get you where you are," observed Wenger. "It is the quality of the players and that is where the managing comes in - to get the right quality of players to work well.

"That team works for a long time together and has big personalities, leaders - [John] Terry, [Michael] Ballack, [Didier] Drogba, Lampard, [Ricardo] Carvalho and [Petr] Cech too - personalities who can withstand the pressure when it is needed."

Wenger supports Grant

Arsene Wenger feels Avram Grant has not been given the credit he deserves for his achievements at Chelsea.

The Israeli - who replaced Jose Mourinho as Chelsea manager in September - has guided the Blues to the final of the UEFA Champions League for the first time in their history and also hauled them back into the race for the Premier League title.

Chelsea captain John Terry has already declared Grant has done enough to secure his position as manager, while the coach himself insists he is happy with his situation at the club despite continued speculation Grant is set to be replaced by billionaire owner Roman Abramovich no matter what the result against Manchester United in Moscow later this month or indeed the outcome of the title race.

Wenger already knew Grant from when he visited Arsenal's training facilities during his time with the Israel national team and believes the former Portsmouth director of football has been given a rough ride.

"Football is down to decision making about human beings. That means the rationality is not always the first criteria to make decisions," Wenger noted.

"Only you (the media) believe that if Mourinho leaves, the club will die. Do you really think I believe that? They have great players - do you think because Mourinho goes [Frank] Lampard becomes average?

"Grant has got some experience. He has a completely different style to Mourinho - but that doesn't mean he is not good.

"He does not say all day 'it is only me'. Everybody thinks because he does not say that, he is bad. That is not right.

"You look at what people do and what they say, does it make sense how they act? I like his style."

Wenger added: "Avram Grant is a guy who has worked before with teams and had success in Israel.

"What you have to accept is that you can work in Finland, Israel and if you have some qualities to handle a team it can work at Chelsea as well.

"It is not only one or two guys who can do it."

Wenger, though, accepted Grant had come into a dream job in terms of the team he inherited.

"It is always the players who get you where you are," observed Wenger. "It is the quality of the players and that is where the managing comes in - to get the right quality of players to work well.

"That team works for a long time together and has big personalities, leaders - [John] Terry, [Michael] Ballack, [Didier] Drogba, Lampard, [Ricardo] Carvalho and [Petr] Cech too - personalities who can withstand the pressure when it is needed."

Aye up mate - looks like Arsenes' been reading my previous post! :o

Cole refuses to give up title bid

Joe Cole is determined to take the title race to the final day of the season with victory over Newcastle.

Chelsea travel to St James' Park on Monday afternoon knowing that defeat will effectively hand the Premier League trophy to Manchester United.

"This year we will keep going and we want to take it to the last day," said the 26-year-old Chelsea midfielder.

"If we can win and take it to the last Sunday then it is squeaky bum time as the famous man once said."

The phrase was once used by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson to describe the title run-in and Cole is confident he can get back to his best to push Chelsea's title rivals all the way.

"I have played a lot of football and my last few games I haven't been at my best - but I want to come back to my best in this game and get the points," the England international said.

The Blues have enjoyed more success on their travels this season than either Man Utd or third-placed Arsenal.

Their hopes of overhauling United at the top rely on them claiming at least another away point at Newcastle, but they will face a tough task against Kevin Keegan's side who are unbeaten in seven games.

Despite that, Cole is confident Chelsea can come away with a win.

"We have good resilience and we find it easy to play when teams come out at us," he said.

"Hopefully with the position Newcastle are in, they will come at us and it will be a high-scoring game and another three points for us.

"In front of their own fans they are going to want to play and there are a couple of old Man United players in there who are going want to do their old mates some favours - but we

just have to keep going and get the job done."

One of those former United players is Nicky Butt who said he would love to see his old club beat Chelsea to the title.

"I'm a great believer in playing football the right way," said the 33-year-old.

"I'm not saying Chelsea don't, but it's more attractive to the eye watching United games.

"Football is about not losing and Chelsea have become masters at that. Obviously I'd love United to win it and it would be more of a highlight for the football purist if they did."

Newcastle boss Keegan, meanwhile, believes the performances of Chelsea and United, both at home and abroad this season, highlights the strength of the Premier League.

He said: "They are two great teams who have ended up pitting their wits against each other not just for the championship, but also for the Champions League in far-away Moscow.

"It just underlines that the league we are playing in is a strong, strong league.

"It has been an incredible season and just enhances the Premier League we play in. It just makes everybody feel maybe it's not that bad to finish 10th in this league or 12th as we might finish. It gives you a little bit of a boost."

Russia gives fans visa reprieve

Russia has waived normal visa requirements for a 72-hour period for football fans with a ticket for the Champions League final in Moscow.

More than 42,000 Chelsea and Manchester United fans are set to attend the match at the the Luzhniki Stadium on 21 May.

And the visa exemption will apply between 19 and 23 May.

Michel Platini, president of European football's governing body Uefa, has thanked the Russian government for an "unprecedented gesture".

Supporters will need to present a valid match ticket, a valid passport, and a completed immigration form upon arrival in Russia, Uefa has confirmed.

Anyone overstaying the 72-hour entry period will then have to pay the fee for a regular visa when leaving the country.

"This is great news for football fans travelling to watch this year's UEFA Champions League final in Moscow," said Platini.

"Our job is to make sure that they are able to get to and from Moscow as easily as possible.

"I am therefore extremely pleased that at my request, all fans travelling with a valid match ticket can use this to enter Russian territory.

"For this I must thank wholeheartedly the president of the Russian Federation, Vladimir Putin, the Russian government, the city of Moscow and the Football Union of Russia for this

exceptional and unprecedented gesture."

Manchester United and Chelsea officials met with Russian match organisers in Moscow last Thursday to discuss the situtation, with supporters of both clubs eagerly waiting for an announcement since they qualified for the final.

The move will alleviate a huge burden on the Russian National Tourist Office in London, which has been handling visas on behalf of the Russian Embassy in Britain for the Champions League final.

Fans without a ticket, hoping to travel independently, should be able to have their visas processed in plenty of time - though the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office has advised supporters not to travel "if they do not have a ticket or accommodation beforehand".

Both clubs have been given 21,000 tickets each for the final at the Luzhniki Stadium, where the capacity is being set specifically at 69,500.

Squeaky bums time eh Manc's? :o

Blues keep title dream alive

Chelsea ensured the Premier League title race will go down to the last game of the season after a 2-0 win against Newcastle.

Michael Ballack and Florent Malouda were on target for the Blues as they ground out three valuable points at St James' Park.

The first-half was a fairly uneventful affair with both sides struggling to create clear cut opportunities.

Michael Owen saw an effort cleared off the line by John Terry at one end, while Ballack wasted Chelsea's best opening at the other.

Then, with an hour gone, the visitors made the breakthrough when Ballack rose unmarked to nod home a Didier Drogba free-kick.

Avram Grant's side then took control and were able to grab a second through Malouda with eight minutes remaining.

Frank Lampard created the chance with a clever threaded ball, and the Frenchman was able to slide a low effort under the onrushing Steve Harper.

Squeaky bums time eh Manc's? :D

No. :o

Come on toady, I bet you thought the title would of been wrapped up months ago? Wigan are playing well at the moment, I doubt your gona get any favours from Bruce either. What a climax this season has come to, next sunday is going to be a nail biting time. I would actually say for easy on the eye football you deserve the title but for sheer determination and doggedness its got to go to us?!?!?

2 years ago when you won the league for the 2nd time i thought to myself that you would dominate for years to come with the squad you have put together!!! well blow me away we managed to win the league last year and to be in the position we are in now one win away from 2 in a row and just having to win at wigan to secure that shows how things change.

to be honest yes you deserve to win the league for being a very determined team and you have not given up, yes fergie has brought this on us by changing the team about to much,but he has had his eye on getting to the champions league final.

the game against wigan we will play our strongest team i can see no slip ups and cannot see you lot slipping up too, so win on goal difference will do me and on to moscow.

Squeaky bums time eh Manc's? :D

No. :D

Come on toady, I bet you thought the title would of been wrapped up months ago? Wigan are playing well at the moment, I doubt your gona get any favours from Bruce either. What a climax this season has come to, next sunday is going to be a nail biting time. I would actually say for easy on the eye football you deserve the title but for sheer determination and doggedness its got to go to us?!?!?

:o Yeah, we should have wrapped it up to be honest, but it's great for the Premeirship to have a finish like this. Wigan will be tricky, but United will have too much for Wigan on this ocassion. Steve Bruce though has done an excellent job since going to Wigan, and he must be secretly laughing at Birmingham as they slide back into the Championship.

Cant fault Chelse for going right to the end, that is what good teams do. I'm sure a few pints will drunk and cigs smoked as I watch it next week.

Edited by mrtoad

Pressure now on Man Utd - Grant

Chelsea boss Avram Grant believes title rivals Manchester United are under more pressure going into Sunday's final game of the Premier League season.

Chelsea's win at Newcastle moved them level on points with leaders United, who are favourites for the title because of a superior goal difference.

United travel to Wigan on the final day, while Chelsea play host to Bolton.

"Now we must beat Bolton and see what United do. The pressure is on them," said Grant.

"I said we will never give up. We have given a good, good battle. Nobody thought about us as a candidate for champions. We will keep on fighting.

"I have to stay positive. We will fight until the last moment."

Chelsea have rallied in the second half of the season in which they also booked a spot in the Champions League final - against United.

And Grant hailed his players' efforts this season, saying: "We have to battle with things on and off the pitch but the team have got better and better, especially in recent months.

"In the first half against Newcastle we were poorer than we've been for a while. Maybe that was down to tiredness because we have played a lot of long, hard matches this campaign.

"In the second half, though, we played fantastically and got the result we wanted.

Your thoughts on the title race "All I have asked the players is to do what we need to do - we can't affect anything else.

"United are a great team and we have given them a good battle. We wanted to keep that going."

And the Israeli insists United will not have it all their own way against Wigan. He added: "The advantage is with them but it will not be easy at Wigan."

That sentiment was echoed by Blues captain John Terry, who said: "I think Wigan will do the Premier League justice.

"Wigan are safe now but with a great manager like Steve Bruce they are going to go for it.

"If we pick up three points at home to Bolton, we have a very good chance."

Grant joy at Blues progress

Chelsea manager Avram Grant has admitted his side has exceeded his expectations, and has vowed to end the season on a high.

Grant has proved many critics wrong since taking over from former Blues boss Jose Mourinho last September.

His side's 2-0 triumph over Newcastle on Monday ensured the race for the Premier League crown will go to the final day of the season.

Grant's men are also fighting in the UEFA Champions League, and face United in Moscow's final on 21st May.

And the Israeli coach has expressed his pride at the progress of his tenure at Stamford Bridge.

"From day one our target was to be in the Champions League final and to improve our game," he said.

"We've done more than I even expected, so we want to believe the season will end well and we will fight to the last minute.

"United have had a fantastic season. They've been champions many times before but this year we have given them a good battle and it is not finished yet.

"Even if they win the title on goal difference you must give my team respect."

Ballack wants Wigan display

Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack is hoping Wigan's stars do not go on holiday before their final game of the season against Manchester United.

The Blues need The Red Devils to drop points at The JJB as they have a superior goal difference over Avram Grant's side in the race for Premier League glory.

Chelsea maintained the pressure on the league leaders with a 2-0 success over Newcastle on Monday, although they still need help if they are to regain the title.

Wigan secured their top-flight status at the weekend with a 2-0 win at Aston Villa and Ballack is hoping they do not start thinking about a summer of sand and sea until the conclusion of the campaign.

"The pressure is on and I hope Wigan are proud enough to give everything in the last game," Ballack said.

"I remember when we played them at home they put four strikers on in the last four minutes to try something and I hope they do the same against Manchester United.

"I hope they are not on their holidays. They have secured their place in the league but they have enough time to celebrate before preparing for this game."

Chelsea supporters have voted Joe Cole the club's Player of the Year for 2008.

In the award ceremony at Stamford Bridge, Cole finished ahead of the other two nominated players Ricardo Carvalho and Michael Ballack.

It's the first time Cole has collected the accolade, which was presented by former Chelsea captain Marcel Desailly.

In other awards, Juliano Belletti's 35-yard strike against Tottenham at the Bridge won Goal of the Season, sponsored by Chelsea TV, and handed over

by all-time leading scorer Bobby Tambling.

The Samsung Players' Player Award, selected by the squad and coaches, went to Carvalho. Another former skipper and ex-Player of the Year, Ray Wilkins,

plus Samsung's President Kim gave the honour to the Portuguese international.

The traditional Young Player of the Year award did not have a single winner. Instead, in recognition of the youth team's exciting run to the final of the FA Youth Cup,

the entire Under 18s squad was honoured, the trophy collected by captain Nana Ofori Twumasi and manager Paul Clement.

A special achievement award was handed to Frank Lampard by former England rugby captain Lawrence Dallaglio in recognition of the midfielder's 100 Chelsea goals.

Former FA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup winner John Dempsey was the recipient of special recognition award from John Terry for his Chelsea career that

spanned 1969 to 1978 and his work running a children's home since.

Joe Cole joins the following list of Player or the Year winners:

1967 Peter Bonetti

1968 Charlie Cooke

1969 David Webb

1970 John Hollins

1971 John Hollins

1972 David Webb

1973 Peter Osgood

1974 Gary Locke

1975 Charlie Cooke

1976 Ray Wilkins

1977 Ray Wilkins

1978 Micky Droy

1979 Tommy Langley

1980 Clive Walker

1981 Petar Borota

1982 Mike Fillery

1983 Joey Jones

1984 Pat Nevin

1985 David Speedie

1986 Eddie Niedzwiecki

1987 Pat Nevin

1988 Tony Dorigo

1989 Graham Roberts

1990 Ken Monkou

1991 Andy Townsend

1992 Paul Elliott

1993 Frank Sinclair

1994 Steve Clarke

1995 Erland Johnsen

1996 Ruud Gullit

1997 Mark Hughes

1998 Dennis Wise

1999 Gianfranco Zola

2000 Dennis Wise

2001 John Terry

2002 Carlo Cudicini

2003 Gianfranco Zola

2004 Frank Lampard

2005 Frank Lampard

2006 John Terry

2007 Michael Essien

2008 Joe Cole

Grant - We can be proud

Chelsea manager Avram Grant insists he will be proud of his squad no matter what the outcome of this season's battle for silverware.

The Premier League title race has gone to the wire as Chelsea and Manchester United go into Sunday's finale to the campaign separated on goal difference.

Chelsea host Bolton on the final day, while Manchester United travel to Wigan - with both games live on Sky Sports - and Grant is hoping his players will again rise to the challenge.

"We have the opportunity to say that, no matter what happens, I think it has been an exciting year," Grant told Chelsea TV.

"Everybody can be proud of the Chelsea players. They have done a very good job."

Grant, though, is adamant that Chelsea - who also face United in the UEFA Champions League final - must focus on their game rather than rely upon a favour from Wigan.

"It will not be an easy game for us. Everybody is thinking about the game against Wigan," Grant added.

"But we need to win first and then maybe think about Manchester United."

Carvalho - Heat on United

Ricardo Carvalho believes the pressure is on Manchester United and Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of Sunday's Premier League title finale.

The Red Devils travel to Wigan knowing victory would be enough to secure their 10th Premier League crown, while Carvalho and his Chelsea team-mates have a home date with Bolton in which they must better the result of their title rivals if they are to be crowned champions.

The Portugal international centre-back knows the odds may be against the trophy being lifted at Stamford Bridge, but feels that could work in their favour.

And with Ronaldo's 40-goal haul having carried United to the brink of Premier League and UEFA Champions League glory, the gifted winger will be under the spotlight once again.

Carvalho told the Daily Mirror: "They will have more pressure on them this Sunday than us because nearly everyone believes the title is already United's.

"Cristiano is their big star but he is human too and he could fail under all the expectation.

"Miracles do happen. I am just hoping Wigan take all three points and that leaves us to beat Bolton. I am convinced we will beat Bolton, so the key to the title will be at Wigan."

Carvalho has no concerns that the Latics, who are managed by United legend Steve Bruce, will not give 100 per cent in the JJB Stadium meeting.

He added: "I feel certain we will see a proper match at Wigan and that Manchester United will suffer problems.

"Even so, I would have preferred different opponents for United. Tougher ones. But you could not predict a last day situation like this.

"Steve Bruce is a legend at Old Trafford. But he is a professional coach and I believe he will not want to lose at home on the final day."

And Carvalho revealed the belief that exists in the Stamford Bridge dressing room that they can see off United in both the domestic title race and on 21st May in the Champions League final.

He said: "It has been a sensational race and for us to go into the final day level on points is incredible.

"Many people wrote us off after two months and now we have the chance to win an amazing double.

"The whole squad believes we can do it."

its getting a bit boring all these chelsea players and ex plaayers saying the heat is on united the preasure is on united, blah blah, we have been in this position many times before, fergie knows one win away to wigan and we are champions.

who ever finishes top will be worthy champions if it is you lot you will have earned it.

Chelsea playing the best - Grant

Avram Grant believes Chelsea are playing the best football in England as they prepare for a Premier League title showdown on Sunday.

Chelsea need to beat Bolton and hope Manchester United draw or lose at Wigan to be crowned champions.

Grant's side are unbeaten in their last 20 league games and, if they do win the title, the Chelsea manager is in no doubt as to the reasons why.

"I think in the last month we have been playing the best football," he said.

"We have played it at the right time against big teams and managers."

Chelsea and United go into the final day level at the top of the table on 84 points, but Sir Alex Ferguson's side's superior goal difference means they just need to win to guarantee the title.

Grant's team have beaten both United and Arsenal in the closing stages of the season, but if they are pipped to the Premier League crown the Israeli will still be happy with how his side has performed.

"Alex said two or three months ago that this is the best Manchester United team since he was coaching," said Grant.

"But if they take the title it will be on goal difference, so we have given them a good battle. I'm very proud of the players.

"I'm not surprised because I'm with the team every day. I know nobody expected that we would come to this stage but we believed all the time.

"We played good most of the time but we have developed in the last month in games that were important to us."

The build-up to Sunday's Premier League finale has been dominated by talk of the opposition both Manchester United and Chelsea will face.

Wigan have vowed to do all they can to beat United, while Bolton's players have reportedly been celebrating after they effectively secured their Premier League status by beating Sunderland last week.

But Ferguson dismissed doubts about Bolton's commitment and believes boss Gary Megson and his staff will have the players ready to compete against Chelsea.

"Nobody is saying anything about Bolton. People have questioned Wigan's integrity but when you look at it, the different attitudes are quite interesting," said the United boss.

"Both teams are safe, relaxed and confident. Yet one can celebrate and the other is all keyed up to play against Manchester United.

"The only thing that gives me confidence about Bolton is the manager and assistant manager.

"I worked with (Bolton assistant) Archie Knox for many years at Aberdeen and United.

"I wish he was playing because he will not enjoy having his players out celebrating and neither will Gary Megson.

"It is an important game. I am confident in these two guys taking their team to Chelsea."

Grant is also convinced that Megson's team, like Wigan, will provide a stern test.

"Alex knows everything. I like and respect him but we know why he says things sometimes. I don't think he knows what's happening in Bolton," Grant said.

"I think Bolton are almost safe but I don't think they will play like the game is not important. They will try to do their best.

"Wigan didn't lose at home since January, they played fantastic against us and they know they are in the spotlight. All over the world everybody is watching so I think they will do their best."

its getting a bit boring all these chelsea players and ex plaayers saying the heat is on united the preasure is on united, blah blah, we have been in this position many times before, fergie knows one win away to wigan and we are champions.

who ever finishes top will be worthy champions if it is you lot you will have earned it.

I know what your saying but it's never been as close as this before, even the fans seem to be getting a little stressed! haha

Whoever wins the league will be Champions, may the best team win. :o

I know what your saying but it's never been as close as this before, even the fans seem to be getting a little stressed! haha

Whoever wins the league will be Champions, may the best team win. :o

I hope it IS our best team that Avram Grant puts out,Mr. S.The Champions League Final is 11 days after Sundays game so I'm counting on Grant to forget about that,even though it has been the club's priority from the start of the season and focus on the job in hand.

Its that time of year again when agents want to put their grubby little hands in the honey pot. :o

Cech in demand - Agent

Petr Cech's agent claims an unnamed club is prepared to make a 40 million euros (£30million) bid for the Chelsea goalkeeper.

The Czech Republic international is widely regarded as one of the best keepers in Europe following his exploits at Stamford Bridge.

Cech's agent Pavel Zika admits there is a long list of clubs interested in the giant custodian, but says it is unlikely Chelsea would be prepared to sell the keeper.

"I know a big European club which would be willing to pay 40 million euros [for Cech]," Zika told Czech daily Pravo.

"A few weeks ago a club director in charge of those kind of matters told me [of the interest].

"It is an unbelievable sum for a goalkeeper. I cannot name the club. They would have problems as even such an inquiry could be understood as a breach of rules.

"Some of the top ten European clubs have been probing our agency but I will not say which ones they are.

"Also their offers have been around 40 million euros."

Zika also revealed they will seek talks over an improved contract for Cech at the end of the season.

"I cannot speak for Chelsea, but I believe they are absolutely satisfied with Cech and vice versa.

"After the season we will be revising Petr's current contract and negotiate a raise."

As it would be very easy for me to come in and gloat, I'd like to say well done to Chelsea for taking the league to the final game.

Good stuff. :o

Now lets look forward to a great game on Wedneday week.

As it would be very easy for me to come in and gloat, I'd like to say well done to Chelsea for taking the league to the final game.

Good stuff. :o

Now lets look forward to a great game on Wedneday week.

Yeah I must say you are deserved winners this season, we made it a very exciting season taking it to the last season. I'm perfectly happy with second spot.....just as long as we become Champions of Europe! :D

Oh well, its been a great season!, not over yet though! :o

Chelsea 1-1 Bolton

Bolton's Matthew Taylor scored a late equaliser but with Manchester United winning at Wigan the goal did not cost Chelsea the Premier League title.

To add to Chelsea's disappointment, skipper John Terry dislocated his elbow but he is hopeful of being fit for the Champions League final on 21 May.

Ali Al Habsi denied Florent Malouda and Didier Drogba before substitute Andriy Shevchenko struck from six yards.

Ashley Cole cleared off the line before Taylor struck with a low drive.

Central defender Alex was culpable for the equaliser after a sloppy, lazy clearance that fell invitingly to Taylor.

But in truth, there can be little doubt that the players already knew that with United leading 2-0 at Wigan their valiant quest to wrestle the title from Sir Alex Ferguson's team was going to fall short.

A win would have at least ensured that Chelsea finished the season with the same number of points as United, losing the title on goal difference.

But Avram Grant's team, who in drawing with Bolton stretched their unbeaten run in the Premier League to 21 games, will have the chance to ensure their season does not end trophyless when they meet United in the Champions League final in Moscow.

Whether skipper Terry is able to play any part in that contest remains to be seen after his 11th-minute injury.

Chelsea had already created one good chance - Drogba failing to divert Michael Ballack's low cross into the goal - when they lost Terry.

Petr Cech, Terry and Kevin Davies competed for a long ball upfield, with the Chelsea goalkeeper leaping high off the ground to make an authoritative claim.

However, Cech appeared to catch Terry with his knee and the Chelsea skipper tumbled to earth.

The defender, clearly in a great deal of pain, was stretchered from the field with his left arm in a makeshift sling fashioned from his shirt.

Undaunted by the loss of Terry, Chelsea continued to dominate possession, while Bolton worked hard to maintain their shape and close the opposition down quickly, limiting clear-cut openings.

Drogba was inches wide with a free-kick, while Gretor Steinsson made a brave challenge after the ball almost broke to the Ivorian six yards from goal but Bolton reached the break on level terms in relative comfort.

The Bolton players made their Chelsea counterparts wait for several minutes before reappearing for the second half but if the tactic was supposed to unsettle Grant's team, it did not work. Within minutes of the restart, Al Habsi made a brilliant fingertip save to deflect Malouda's looping strike on to the crossbar, while a last-gasp block denied Juliano Belletti.

Al Habsi made another superb save, this time tipping over a strike from Drogba after a rampaging burst forward before substitute Shevchenko finally ended Bolton's stubborn resistance.

A mis-hit strike from the edge of the box eluded numerous bodies before running to Shevchenko, who made a poor contact from six yards but nonetheless found the net.

Bolton showed more ambition after conceding and finally started to create some chances.

Cech smothered a close-range shot from El Hadji Diouf, while Gavin McCann saw a looping header rebound off the crossbar before Ashley Cole cleared the danger.

And in the third minute of injury time Bolton scored the goal that ensured their Premier League survival was not merely on goal difference after Alex's poor clearance.

Chelsea: Cech, Essien, Alex, Terry (Belletti 14), Ashley Cole, Ballack, Makelele (Shevchenko 46), Lampard, Joe Cole (Obi 78), Drogba, Malouda.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Kalou.

Booked: Drogba.

Goals: Shevchenko 62.

Bolton: Al Habsi, Steinsson, Andrew O'Brien, Cahill, Samuel, Davies, Joey O'Brien, McCann, Nolan, Taylor, Diouf (Giannakopoulos 69).

Subs Not Used: Walker, Jaaskelainen, Meite, Cohen.

Booked: Joey O'Brien, McCann, Davies.

Goals: Taylor 90.

Att: 41,755

Ref: Chris Foy (Merseyside).

Chelsea agree Bosingwa deal

Chelsea are set to win the race to sign Portuguese star Jose Bosingwa after agreeing a deal with Porto.

The Blues have struck a deal worth 20.5million euros (£16.2million) with Porto and the player has flown to London for talks and a medical.

Porto announced a deal was done in a statement to the Portuguese Stock Exchange: "We inform the market that we have an understanding with Chelsea for the rights to our player Jose Bosingwa for the price of 20.5million euros.

"More information on the relative agreement of the transfer will be legalised once the player concludes the medical examinations that he is now having with the permission of Porto football club."

The player's agent Jorge Mendes has accompanied his client as Chelsea look to seal the deal in the next 48 hours.

Manchester United, Liverpool and Aston Villa have all made moves for the 25-year-old in recent months but it appears Chelsea have held them off to land the highly-rated full-back.

Bosingwa, who has been at Porto for five years since joining from Boavista, will have his sights set on becoming first-choice at Stamford Bridge.

Fellow countryman Paulo Ferriera and Brazilian Juliano Belletti are the other options to play at right-back for coach Avram Grant, while midfielder Michael Essien has also been used there on occasions.

Drogba & Terry recover for final

Didier Drogba says he and Chelsea team-mate John Terry will be fit for the Champions League final against Manchester United in Moscow.

Both were injured in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Bolton, with Drogba hurting his knee and Terry dislocating his elbow.

But the Ivory Coast striker told French newspaper L'Equipe there was "nothing serious" about his injury.

And of Terry, he said: "I have spoken to him. He will play in Moscow. No-one wants to miss this gigantic match."

Drogba confirmed that the knee he hurt on Sunday was the same one that had been operated on last December, but said: "I put ice on it immediately. I will be at training this week."

He called the Moscow showdown so important that it was regarded in the Chelsea dressing-room as "the match of our careers".

Chelsea lost out to United at the weekend in the race for the Premier League title as Sir Alex Ferguson's men secured the defence of their crown with a 2-0 win at Wigan.

United will head to Moscow looking to complete the double, but Drogba said: "This Champions League match is different.

"It will play itself out over 90 or 120 minutes, like in the FA Cup final last year (which Chelsea won 1-0 thanks to Drogba's goal in the second period of extra time).

"We know that we can beat United, we proved it again in the league a fortnight ago.

"But they deserved their title and were rewarded for their consistency. We made too many mistakes."

Cech rejects move rumours

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech has dismissed reports linking him with a move away from Stamford Bridge.

Reports have suggested Cech could be on the move after his agent claimed a mystery club was prepared to £32million for the Czech Republic international.

However, Cech has moved quickly to rubbish the speculation and says he expects to hold talks over extending his contract with Chelsea.

"Contrary to numerous press stories over the last couple of days, I would like to make it very clear to the Chelsea fans that I have no plans to leave the club," Cech told the club's official website.

"My sole focus at the moment is next week's Champions League Final and then the Euros.

"I am very happy at Chelsea. I still have two years left on my contract and I believe the club will sit down with my representatives at the appropriate time to discuss an extension of my current contract."