Euro 2016: England supporter ‘fighting for life’ after Marseille clashes

rooster59

Euro 2016: England supporter ‘fighting for life’ after Marseille clashes

post-247607-0-70011700-1465702530_thumb.

An England football fan is fighting for his life in hospital after more violent clashes in Marseille, according to local media.

Further injuries and several arrests were reported on a third day of unrest in the Old Port area of the French Mediterranean city where England played Russia tonight in the first round of Euro 2016. For the third day running, police used tear gas.

Authorities say they intervened amid clashes between English, Russian and French supporters.
Hundreds were involved as horrific scenes unfolded. VIdeo images showed one man hitting another on the head with a wooden chair.

The England versus Russia match was identified as high risk when it comes to hooliganism.

Police designated separate routes to approach the Stade Velodrome to try to keep the two sets of fans apart but the fear is that the day’s violence may not yet be over.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-12

It's pathetic. Everyone will blame the English as usual and there is always a segment of 'supporters' up for it (most want nothing to do with it), but the Russian Ultras planned the clashes and sparked it off. Look at the scenes in the stadium where they charged the English. Their home games are a joke. They should have world cup 2018 taken off them.

It's pathetic. Everyone will blame the English as usual and there is always a segment of 'supporters' up for it (most want nothing to do with it), but the Russian Ultras planned the clashes and sparked it off. Look at the scenes in the stadium where they charged the English. Their home games are a joke. They should have world cup 2018 taken off them.

In my book anyone joining those fights are guilty.. sure one party started it but the others were happy to join. You can always leave (unless you get caught in the middle)

And sure most blame is with those who started it.. but hooligans are hooligans they all love a fight and are all trash.

In my book anyone joining those fights are guilty.. sure one party started it but the others were happy to join. You can always leave (unless you get caught in the middle)

And sure most blame is with those who started it.. but hooligans are hooligans they all love a fight and are all trash.

Agree that a yob is a yob whatever their nationality, race or religion. But just look at the history of Russian "fans" and their behavior. Wherever they go there's trouble and they usually start it. And what do the Russian authorities do - zilch.

I was working in Germany when they had their last world cup. There were uniformed British police patrolling on the beat with their German colleagues. When Franc played uniformed French police were at Cologne Airport waiting for incoming fans. The Germans had it well organized and using the intelligence and presence of overseas police. Where is the organization and presence of the French police? As usual, not where it should be. The hooligans are well organized and know how to exploit the weaknesses in French law enforcement.

England's fans, despite the nutter minority, are relatively well behaved these days, But, the Russians know that provocation will get reaction. Not condoning any violence but from the news and videos I've seen so far it's clear the Russians intended and did start the violence. Let's see if they continue against others int he group.

I have friends over there who have told me that there is a few hundred Russian fans masked in black tops with French so called ultras picking off English stragglers in small groups of 10 or 20. The thing is ,yes there is a hardcore English hooligan element with the English fans but they are being battered by the French police and contained. But whilst they are doing this the French and Russians are being left to attack the rest of English fans ,with family's and those who are there to enjoy the occasion. These hardcore Russian fans are not drinking and singing and then causing trouble, they have been training, preparing for this. They are armed and prepared to seriously injure or murder. It's all planned with military precision.

The English reputation for football violence is warranted but because the uk government have taken action over the last few decades to try and eradicate it, most of the English hooligans have travel bans and are not there. I am not condoning football violence but maybe just let the all the English fans who love that sort of s##te go at it with the Russians and French so called ultras and then concentrate on taking care of the real fans on both sides. Maybe then those juiced up Russians won't be so brave.

An added point, why does it seem everyone is joining together to fight and maim the English fans??? Are we really that hated? Really makes me wonder about brexit .

Edited by goldenbrwn1

At the end of the game the English supporters were caught in the middle, with nowhere to go. That was clearly on the Russians.

This wasn't first time Englands supporter have been in trouble in Marseille but they have been in the past mostly the trigger for that, may be again same scenario. They better avoid this place in the future, lessons learned.

I am just sitting around, eating lunch, having a few frothies, watching Thailand play Germany in the woman's volleyball with eight Thais. Very pleasant.

I just showed them the videos of the fighting English and other farangs. They asked me why it is always like this when England play football. I was unable to give much of an explaination but it is just English culture, and has been like this for over fifty years.

They then asked me why the police don't stop them. I said I wasn't sure.

They think it is idiotic behaiviour to fight over a ball game. Childish.

Second set just went to the Thais. Go Thailand!

I am just sitting around, eating lunch, having a few frothies, watching Thailand play Germany in the woman's volleyball with eight Thais. Very pleasant.

I just showed them the videos of the fighting English and other farangs. They asked me why it is always like this when England play football. I was unable to give much of an explaination but it is just English culture, and has been like this for over fifty years.

Did you ask them why their government gun down its citizens sporadically on the streets of its capital.

Did they reply it's just Thai culture ?

Edited by stoneyboy

Did you ask them why their government gun down its citizens sporadically on the streets of its capital.

When was the last time a Thai was killed at a sports event in Thailand?

In the US it is getting dangerous wherever you are.

Cut the BS about culture.

In light of the overbearing ISIS threat, the French police and security forces cannot afford to waste resources just to keep some pissed up footie fans or some ultra-nationalist hot heads masquerading as footie fans from knocking lumps off one another.

Heaven forbid that it needs some terrorist act to put these rather trivial and not unexpected football hooligan fights in some sort of perspective.

Whats wrong with these people. Throwing FULL beer bottles? At least finish your beer before you throw it. Pi55weak as.

A lot of attacking in groups and kicking in the head while down, and other weapons being used from these pot bellied, skinny armed and pasty cowards.

My prediction is someone is going to die soon.

Meanwhile, back in the civilized world, the cute, petite Thai volleyballers have just taken then third set from the beefy, big boned German girls. 2-1 up now.

Hahaha, they don't know which incident you are refering to. Can you post the video?

But they assured me that it wouldn't have been over the football, volleyball or any game.

Very sensible people these Thais.

The problem is that soccer/football being a bit of a sissy game played by drama queens doesn't give its fans the gratuitous violence they crave.

Real men games like rugby league & union or American football consequently don't have the hooligan fan culture as the fans are satisfied.

Is Roomuck talking about Aussie beer and men, shame on you!

Like someone else said in another thread take off your tinted glasses and live in the real world.

Fortunately I also had a great weekend watching rugby with my Aussie and Kiwi mates.

Unfortunately we lost but the beer and the matches were great.

Is Roomuck talking about Aussie beer and men, shame on you!

Like someone else said in another thread take off your tinted glasses and live in the real world.

Fortunately I also had a great weekend watching rugby with my Aussie and Kiwi mates.

Unfortunately we lost but the beer and the matches were great.

Aussies don't go to the footy and throw beer bottles at each other. The Thais don't either. Or the kiwis.

There used to be a bit of biffo occasionly at footy games years ago, but nothing like these idiots in Europe who can't hold their drink.

There is no way we would throw a full one, like I saw in the above video. We drink in shouts/rounds at sporting events and wastage is simply not allowed and you are required to keep up.

Hahaha, they don't know which incident you are refering to. Can you post the video?

But they assured me that it wouldn't have been over the football, volleyball or any game.

Very sensible people these Thais.

Yes, 19 coups and counting. I agree with them about football, and fighting. But throw stones at glass houses !!