Fatal crash victim's family demands B2.1mn in damages

rooster59

Fatal crash victim's family demands B2.1mn in damages

Kongleaphy Keam

post-247607-0-59430900-1466806607_thumb.

PHUKET: The family of a German man killed in a Phuket road accident in December last year, has demanded 1.3 million baht as compensation for his death and 800,000 baht for his partner’s injuries.

The suspect, Jakarin Rodpradit, 26, has requested a one month to assess the situation, after both sides met for negotiations at Phuket Provincial Court this afternoon. He was granted time until August 4, which is when the parties are expected to next meet.

Mr Jakarin originally denied responsibility for the crash between his car and a motorbike, driven by Andreas Walter, 47, with his partner Patcharin Lammai, 35, riding pillion (story here).

About a week after the accident, Ms Patcharin and her family submitted CCTV footage, and presented witnesses to the police. When faced with the new evidence, Mr Jakarin confessed to the charges, Lt Nipon Temsung of the Karon Police told the Phuket Gazette (story here).

“Mr Jakarin was charged with reckless driving causing death, injury and property damage, without stopping and assisting the victims. This is a more serious crime than just reckless driving,” said Ms Patcharin’s lawyer, who asked not to be named.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Fatal-crash-victims-family-demands-B21mn-damages/64125?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-25

Very sad story one needs eyes in the back of ones head when any were nears the roads to survive. Just stay focused!

That's why im always confused when i see farangs jogging in the same direction as traffic.. how daft are they? Even going the opposite way a lot of the time you almost get rundown even if you are hogging the grass.

Four days ago Thaivisa carried a report on this case in which the mother of the dead man called for justice to be done.

The article also said this regarding his Thai wife:-

"she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life."

I wonder what made her decide to get involved again?

Edited by nahkit

A compensation for a dead man, what's the purpose ? Can't use money in heaven !

I would like to know if the German was wearing an helmet, had a Thai driver license / international driver license or had an insurance ?

There's insurance so <deleted> off, stop asking for a compensation. if he didn't have insurance, DL or helmet so <deleted> off !

I would like to know if the German was wearing an helmet, had a Thai driver license / international driver license or had an insurance ?

There's insurance so <deleted> off, stop asking for a compensation. if he didn't have insurance, DL or helmet so <deleted> off !

It was attempted murder. Who cares (but you) if he had a DL or not.

Four days ago Thaivisa carried a report on this case in which the mother of the dead man called for justice to be done.

I would bet the article was not correct. This was probably in the works already for quite some time.

Edited by stevenl

Drive in your country without license and check who is wrong if involved in accident...

Drive in your country without license and check who is wrong if involved in accident...

Same as here: insurance will probably not pay (3rd party insurance will pay BTW) and I might get fined for driving without licence. But cause of accident will stay the same, and responsible party will be held responsible, same as here.

Deemed right or wrong has nothing to do with the licence.

Same as here: insurance will probably not pay (3rd party insurance will pay BTW) and I might get fined for driving without licence. But cause of accident will stay the same, and responsible party will be held responsible, same as here.

Drivers without license have nothing to do on roads.

No license mean they have not the competence to drive any vehicles and are a danger for others.

Police failed to conduct a blood alcohol test on the Thai man did they conduct a blood alcohol test on the German man ?

I just feel bored of the Thai mentality, asking for a compensation even there's insurance. It's all about money...

The German guy would be happy to know that his life's worth 1.2M bahts.

And if it is written in a Thaivisa article, it absolutely must be true?

Drivers without license have nothing to do on roads.

No license mean they have not the competence to drive any vehicles and are a danger for others.

Police failed to conduct a blood alcohol test on the Thai man did they conduct a blood alcohol test on the German man ?

I just feel bored of the Thai mentality, asking for a compensation even there's insurance. It's all about money...

Your post shows you know nothing of the subject at hand and I find it insulting as well.

In this case there will be no insurance payout. Motorbike insurance will not exist except for 30 k compulsory, and car insurance will not pay since he purposefully killed the German guy.

And can we now get back on topic please.

Edited by stevenl

Oh, and even if there was insurance, it would be up to the Thai guy to go there and collect. The talking point for the surviving victim is the Thai guy, not his insurance company

Edited by stevenl

"It's all about the money", the usual, predictable, fatuous remark that is posted here frequently as though Thai people shouldn't be allowed to claim compensation. There's nothing much more boring than that sentiment.

The German's family and his wife are asking for compensation not the deceased, jeez. This is not just about Thais. Try reading what this is all really about before you condemn those who have lost loved ones and future support. Compensation for the death of an income providing family member is usual in most countries.

I read the same article,....people have the right to change there mind !!....and the 800.000 could help her to go on with her life !! as she stated....!!

I'm not blaming her......

On the other hand,...? Journalists have been known for writing a lot of false or exaggerated story's all over the world and Thailand is no exception to this.....

Best regards.

Edited by off road pat

It wouldn't come to my mind to ask for compensation if someone of my family die like this...

The thing that would come to my mind is justice not money.

Everybody has there own way to react after the loss of a loved one !!! ...just accept that people are different, there doesn't have to be a standard reaction !!!

maybe he was the breadwinner in the family and maybe left debts that have to be payed...??? think with your brain but don't exclude your heart in the process.!!!

Regards.

And if it is written in a Thaivisa article, it absolutely must be true?

No, being in a Thaivisa article doesn't make it true but as that is the only information regarding this case that I have to go on then I base my comments on what was written.

There are actually several discrepancies between what is written here and what appeared in the article a few days ago. For instance, this article says he confessed but in the one a few days ago the mother of the victim says he hasn't confessed:-

"The family of Andreas Walter in Germany have released an open letter to the killer of their son. Mother Helga Walter (77) writes to Jakarin and begs him to confess and tell the whole truth about this dreadful and tragic night in Karon."

What I really want to know is whether the German side of the family have agreed to no jail time in return for compensation, if so, this is a major turnaround from a few days ago.

Edited by nahkit

Why do you want to know if the German was wearing an helmet, had a Thai driver license/international driver license or had insurance?

Are you involved in adjudicating this case?

Not so. Having a licence or otherwise is irrelevant in the eyes of the law when determining culpability.

Not so. Having a licence or otherwise is irrelevant in the eyes of the law when determining culpability.

In my country it's a major offence up to 1 year imprisonment and a fine up to 15000 euros.

How to determine a culprit if Y is involved in an accident without a driver license ? Y had nothing to do on the road and if Y wasn't on the road there wouldn't have any accident.

What if Y wasn't wearing an helmet and died ? What if Y survived because his helmet saved him ?

See the difference ?

anyway, I hope the thai driver will imprisoned for years.

I was wondering if he was wearing an helmet or had a driver license because of the compensation that the family asking for.

for me, no compensation if no helmet or no DL...

anyway, I hope the thai driver will imprisoned for years.

I was wondering if he was wearing an helmet or had a driver license because of the compensation that the family asking for.

for me, no compensation if no helmet or no DL...

You must be new here....or are you even in Thailand? If you think the death of your loved one by a reckless driver here would see the offender go to jail...think again. If the offender is hi-so...influential...connected....the chances of them going to jail is next to zero. This ain't Kansas Dorothy. Compensation is often the only thing available to victims here.

what i thought was revealing was in an article last week, the ex wife of the dead man said she just wants to move on, and wants nothing more to do with it. Sadly I interpret that as the falang is dead, no more money to be had, and too much negative pressure from local Thais so she just moves on like she was never married to the mand

In my country it's a major offence up to 1 year imprisonment and a fine up to 15000 euros.

How to determine a culprit if Y is involved in an accident without a driver license ? Y had nothing to do on the road and if Y wasn't on the road there wouldn't have any accident.

What if Y wasn't wearing an helmet and died ? What if Y survived because his helmet saved him ?

See the difference ?

Having a licence has no connection at all with deemed liable.

what i thought was revealing was in an article last week, the ex wife of the dead man said she just wants to move on, and wants nothing more to do with it. Sadly I interpret that as the falang is dead, no more money to be had, and too much negative pressure from local Thais so she just moves on like she was never married to the mand

This article shows you're wrong.

Very sad story one needs eyes in the back of ones head when any were nears the roads to survive. Just stay focused!

That's why im always confused when i see farangs jogging in the same direction as traffic.. how daft are they? Even going the opposite way a lot of the time you almost get rundown even if you are hogging the grass.

Stopped running on the roads after being hit by a wing mirror for the second time and having to leap out of the way several times.