Family Holiday in Thailand Turns to Tragedy after Australian Father of Three Dies from Food Poisonin

rooster59

Family Holiday in Thailand Turns to Tragedy after Australian Father of Three Dies from Food Poisoning

BANGKOK – A family holiday to Thailand has ended in tragedy for one Australian family, after a father-of-three died from suspected food poisoning last weekend.

Australian Rex Tickell, 55, was holidaying in Thailand with his three children, Lennaya, Zeke and Izaius, his wife Christine and her sister and brother-in-law, when the family contracted an unknown illness on July , 2016.

It is understood Mr Tickell was vomiting so heavily that he fell unconscious, and was unable to be revived by CPR, he later died in hospital.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/family-holiday-in-thailand-turns-to-tragedy-after-australian-father-of-three-dies-from-food-poisoning.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-07-10

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit light on details of his death but not light on details on how to send money when he hasn't even been buried. Seems strange considering he has travel insurance and if he was in oz and passed away naturally would they still be asking to pass the hat around?

How about naming and shaming the restaurant and informing us what food was served and the actual cause of death after an autopsy.

what were they eating then, I guess shellfsih

Interesting that you say that.

I have flown on Air Asia many times over the years. In their in-flight magazine a pilot writes a column about his job. A few years ago he stated that most airlines in the world ban seafood from pilot's on-duty diets due to the heightened risk of food poisoning.

(I've never eaten seafood anyway, just don't fancy it, no matter how good someone tells me it is).

Seafood? What sea up in the mountains of the North?

Didn't other members of the family eat from the same dishes?

Covered by the CRT but date-lined Bangkok, with no real mention of where it occurred. But I'm sure you can buy "seafood" in CR even if it doesn't come from the sea.

I have flown on Air Asia many times over the years. In their in-flight magazine a pilot writes a column about his job. A few years ago he stated that most airlines in the world ban seafood from pilot's on-duty diets due to the heightened risk of food poisoning.

(I've never eaten seafood anyway, just don't fancy it, no matter how good someone tells me it is).

I know loads of people who have been eating seafood all their lives and have had no problems at all, so BS

Not one for conspriracy theories, but does severe food posioning kill that quickly ? usually is dehyration that gets you with food posioning

sounds more like another over enthusiastic use of pesticide in the hotel they were staying, not something we are ever going to find out

or I suppose they could have been exposed to seafood not cooked properly such as the very dangerous and toxic pufferfish....who knows

I know loads of people who have been eating seafood all their lives and have had no problems at all, so BS

So loads of people that you know represent a very large part of the worlds population?

I've known plenty of people who've got sick after eating seafood.

The article wasn't bullshit.

Probably more a case of you liking seafood yourself, and not liking what I say.

For example: Japanese people.

For example: Japanese people.

OK, I know Japan probably has very high food hygiene standards, but do you really think that no one it that big country has ever got sick from seafood.

Yeah they all got ill as well, hence the food poisoning theory

They all probably spent time in the same rooms. Just as likely to be improperly used pesticides.

Two Canadian girls come to mind. Googling them up produces quite a few links to unexplained foreigner deaths in Thailand that are also suspected to be from poisoning by pesticides.

Edited by impulse

From the Air Canada pilot's webpage:We recently put your pilot skills to the test in our Land Your Way Facebook game andrevealed some of the lingo used in the flight deck. This time we spoke with Captain Doug Morris, a pilot and line indoctrination captain at Air Canada for nearly 18 years, to get the inside scoop on little-known facts related to pilot’s work environement.

1. Pilots may spend long periods of time away from home. To keep their loved ones close, they’ll often keep photos of their family or spouses in the inside lining of their hat.

2. You couldn’t buy a shrimp cocktail for the pilot before takeoff. As a food poisoning prevention measure, pilots are forbidden from eating shellfish while on duty.

http://gofar.aircanada.com/en/up-in-the-air/10-facts-you-didnt-know-about-pilots/

Terrible tragedy and another black eye for the fish and shellfish industry in Thailand, not that anyone pays attention.

I no longer eat Thai shellfish of any kind. Haven't done so in over a year. Even the fish is suspect. In Hua Hin, I have been served fish far too many times at some of the "popular" restaurants. Fish should not have an odor. If it does , it's off and the fish oils are breaking down.

If fish smells of fish it is starting to rot.

I never eat any fish in this country. Anyone who does is taking a risk of not just food poison but river flukes. Many Thais die from hardened livers caused by eating fish that has not been cooked to the point of being burnt to a crisp to kill off the flukes.

Just google "raw fish and cancer in Thailand" and see what comes up.......

Seafood? What sea up in the mountains of the North?

Didn't other members of the family eat from the same dishes?

Covered by the CRT but date-lined Bangkok, with no real mention of where it occurred. But I'm sure you can buy "seafood" in CR even if it doesn't come from the sea.

I once made the mistake of having mussels in Chiang Mai, about 12 years and a bit ago. I ended up with serious diarrhoea for a day, but luckily nothing more serious. Since then I have never had a problem with seafood in Thailand, so just an isolated incident for me. However, obviously not for others.

I suspect that seafood doesn't travel too well, all that way from the coast up to Chiang Mai, perhaps on a slow lorry with iffy refrigeration too.

Bear in mind the seafood in this incident, or my mussels, could have been caught way down on the Southern coastline and taken a couple of days to be transported in a lorry, a distance pushing a 1,000 miles by road.

I think it's fair to say that seafood and Chiang Mai don't go together well.

Edited by Mister Fixit

There's a reason seafood restaurants display the live stuff in the aquariums next to the entrance. If they don't have them, the food could well have been spoiled due to inadequate cold chain, etc. Don't eat in a restaurant where you can't see the stuff live before it's prepared.

In many cases "seafood" here doesn't even come from the sea but is farmed sweet water catch.

In 28 years of living here,the only time I have ever had

food poison,was in the first 2 weeks I was here,ordered

room service at a hotel around Nana,fried rice,it came

as seafood fried rice,I was thinking I should not eat this,

but I was hungry,and paid the price later that day,glued

to the toilet.

This story is another one with too little information,

what did they eat,where did they eat,does not even give

the date,just July.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie

It is not so much sea food as shell fish. I have lived here 20 years and had bad food poisoning 3 times, each time from oysters that i love very much. Now days i eat mainly oysters imported from NZ at a BKK NZ food restaurant. ????

It is not so much sea food as shell fish. I have lived here 20 years and had bad food poisoning 3 times, each time from oysters that i love very much. Now days i eat mainly oysters imported from NZ at a BKK NZ food restaurant. ????

I always think of fish (cod, dory etc), then of anything other than fish as seafood/shellfish.

About 4 years years ago I had an American friend who was sick all weekend after eating (alot of!) oysters at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.