Why I always wear a helmet

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truck driver did not stop but I don't think he did too much wrong by Thai standards.

He could not know that by forcing me to move to the left I was heading for not merely a puddle but a huge pothole.

My trip was a six km round trip to the Seven to buy a packet of cigarettes. Even for such short low speed trips I always wear my helmet.

I have a bit of a headache this morning and a bruised nose but other than that no injuries.

Fixing the bike will be relatively cheap. It's the helmet that is the big expense. It's an Arai GP6. Fortunately I have two though the other one is in BKK which is 400 odd km away.

I told you those fags will kill you.

Two days after the crash I have bruising to the forehead just above my right eye, nose and chin but it is pretty minor.

Before using the helmet I did for motorcycling I did look into the different testing standards that apply to motorcycle helmets and race car helmets. From memory the main differences were:

1. Race car helmets have fireproof linings whereas motorcycle helmets do not.

2. Motorcycle helmets have provisions covering protrusions from the helmet such as vents so that they break off within a defined amount of force to minimise the risk of rotation injuries.

3. Motorcycle helmets have regulations that prescribe a wider aperture for better peripheral vision. I don't find this a problem with the Arai GP6.

4. Race car helmets have a higher standard for visor penetration.

Sadly Arai don't pay me to write my posts. I have to pay hard cash for my helmets.

Within this region the best place I know to buy Arai helmets (motorcycle and race car) at very good prices and other quality brands is in Hong Kong. I don't remember the name of the shop but if you Google Arai + Hong Kong you are sure to find it. It's somewhere in the New Territories and walking distance from the MTR.

I once drove into a swarm of savage insects at 150Km/hour. That hurt and stung like hell as I had the visor up.

I would never drive a bike without visor, but then again some people will never learn. Seen three dead motor cyclists in four years, one in a remote rural area. All bleeding from the ear.

You have seen three dead motorcyclists, and yet you are still riding way over the speed limit crazy.gif

mmm.... you like putting people down, right? This was 45 years ago in a place a looong way from here.where there wasn't a speed limit. At least I learn from my mistakes,

The truck driver did not stop but I don't think he did too much wrong by Thai standards.

He could not know that by forcing me to move to the left I was heading for not merely a puddle but a huge pothole.

My trip was a six km round trip to the Seven to buy a packet of cigarettes. Even for such short low speed trips I always wear my helmet.

I have a bit of a headache this morning and a bruised nose but other than that no injuries.

Fixing the bike will be relatively cheap. It's the helmet that is the big expense. It's an Arai GP6. Fortunately I have two though the other one is in BKK which is 400 odd km away.

Escaped death good but all for a packet of coffin nails certain irony there

I once drove into a swarm of savage insects at 150Km/hour. That hurt and stung like hell as I had the visor up.

I would never drive a bike without visor, but then again some people will never learn. Seen three dead motor cyclists in four years, one in a remote rural area. All bleeding from the ear.

You have seen three dead motorcyclists, and yet you are still riding way over the speed limit crazy.gif

mmm.... you like putting people down, right? This was 45 years ago in a place a looong way from here, where there wasn't a speed limit. At least I learn from my mistakes,

OK, you did not say that, but you gave the impression that it was in Thailand by mentioning three dead motorcyclists in four years.

Yes, I love putting down speeding and careless drivers or M/C riders going way above the speed limit, they are responsible for so many innocent

people dying on the roads, but at least you have said that you learned from your mistakes, so good on you.

Great thread, thanks.

A question - I need a new full-face. My current one has a lift-up chin section (sorry, I don't know the correct term) but when I went shopping it seems nearly all the good ones are fixed. Is this because this type is stronger? I like the lift-up capability for ease of use though.

Also, anyone in Phuket know of a good place to buy? I went to Phuket Pro Biker on Suthat Rd in PT but they only have the fixed type and not many XL needed for my big, fat head.

Thanks

You should check out Shark Evoline helmets. http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?code_sous_gamme=EV3

http://sharkhelmetsthailand.com/

Great thread, thanks.

A question - I need a new full-face. My current one has a lift-up chin section (sorry, I don't know the correct term) but when I went shopping it seems nearly all the good ones are fixed. Is this because this type is stronger? I like the lift-up capability for ease of use though.

Also, anyone in Phuket know of a good place to buy? I went to Phuket Pro Biker on Suthat Rd in PT but they only have the fixed type and not many XL needed for my big, fat head.

Thanks

You should check out Shark Evoline helmets. http://www.shark-helmets.com/product.php?code_sous_gamme=EV3

http://sharkhelmetsthailand.com/

Thanks - and there is a dealer in Patong: http://www.southern-bigbike.com/showroom.html

Yes you need full face helmet---as in dingerbel post #6

I used to wear just the normal kind, ended up with being flown down to BKK for facial reconstruction. The only draw back to them because of price--is the K̄hmoy.

Certainly no good just securing it with the strap, I put a chain through my last one & still a security guard at a shopping centre disturbed 3 kids diligently taking the helmet apart to leave me with just the chain.

I'm in a neighboring country where theft is out of control. I lucked out and found a huge padlock with a really long lock bar. It fits through the chin bar of my full face helmet and I can lock it to the center rack or the grab handle on the back of the bike. Try your local hardware store maybe you can find one.

Not as good as taking it with you of course. Can still get rained on. But this is the best I could come up with for a quick trip into the supermarket or dinner at a restaurant.

I think my next bike purchase will be one that can store a full face helmet. If you can't store it safely you probably won't wear it... That's been my experience anyways.

Great thread, thanks.

Thanks

Never really understood the flip ups myself. What's the point? Takes a few seconds to take the helmet off if you need a drink or something. I would choose between a standard full face or a half lid.

Those flip ups seem to be more bulky, heavier and I've read they're noisy. Plus I don't trust them. What if you land right on your chin? Would that hinge crack open? No thanks.

Great thread, thanks.

Thanks

Never really understood the flip ups myself. What's the point? Takes a few seconds to take the helmet off if you need a drink or something. I would choose between a standard full face or a half lid.

Those flip ups seem to be more bulky, heavier and I've read they're noisy. Plus I don't trust them. What if you land right on your chin? Would that hinge crack open? No thanks.

One advantage I can think of is that you are able to pull the sides apart when putting it on allowing easier entry with a snug fit - especially if, like me, you have glasses.

A good brand helment is also essential such as your Arai,

When im cashed up ill buy the same as the cheaper versions offer little protection.

Not always true. My "Real" helmet is European standard ECE R 22-05 approved. Which means that it's approved for all European road use, in some 50 countries at least, and with that cert, is even approved for all racing, including Moto GP racing. Local shop's list price was 2,900 a year or two ago. My wife bargained it down to 2,100 Baht. Do you think that an Arai ECE R 22-05 helmet is somehow safer than a Real ECE R 22-05 helmet? I think the Arai is made in China and costs 20,000 Baht or so. Does that make it better? Perhaps the Shark ECE R 22-05 helmets from France are better? ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is... And besides, a good many of those Shark helmets are made in Rayong.

I'm not sure there are any helmets anymore that aren't made in either China or Thailand. Some handmade Shoei helmets are alleged to be made in Japan, but really, I imagine the shells are made in China and they're simply hand painted in Japan.

Getting customers addicted to name brands is a pretty good gig, if you can pull it off. But again, ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is...

Seeing criticisms of Shark Helmets... "Heavy," they say. Maybe they should look for a carbon fiber something or other...

Edited by RedQualia

It's an Arai GP6.

could you let us know how much for your Arai GP6.

Why you think it's gp6?

facepalm.gif

What?

Do you see gp6?

Well, I did not notice the post. a photo it is not see well. I was there for carting have GP-6 and its three air intake . there are two. I have seen two air intake on GP-5 or ck-6/sk-6

So what why i am asking.

Do you know any about arai gp-6?

What model have TWO air intake???

When im cashed up ill buy the same as the cheaper versions offer little protection.

Not always true. My "Real" helmet is European standard ECE R 22-05 approved. Which means that it's approved for all European road use, in some 50 countries at least, and with that cert, is even approved for all racing, including Moto GP racing. Local shop's list price was 2,900 a year or two ago. My wife bargained it down to 2,100 Baht. Do you think that an Arai ECE R 22-05 helmet is somehow safer than a Real ECE R 22-05 helmet? I think the Arai is made in China and costs 20,000 Baht or so. Does that make it better? Perhaps the Shark ECE R 22-05 helmets from France are better? ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is... And besides, a good many of those Shark helmets are made in Rayong.

I'm not sure there are any helmets anymore that aren't made in either China or Thailand. Some handmade Shoei helmets are alleged to be made in Japan, but really, I imagine the shells are made in China and they're simply hand painted in Japan.

Getting customers addicted to name brands is a pretty good gig, if you can pull it off. But again, ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is ECE R 22-05 is...

Seeing criticisms of Shark Helmets... "Heavy," they say. Maybe they should look for a carbon fiber something or other...

How you know REAL helmet have ECE R 22-05?

I never see in europe shope this is helmet.

Where can check?

"It's the helmet that is the big expense."

Yes, but chump change compared to the Mk I brain cage you were originally issued! Glad you're ok!! I've often wondered about the effectiveness of the cheap toppers you most often see in a real accident. 'Better than nothing I guess...

Where can check?

How do you know an Arai helmet (for example) is ECE R 22-05 certified? Or that a Shark is ECE R 22-05 certified?

In the case of my Real helmet, I know because:

- Real helmets are advertised here and there as being ECE R 22-05 certified. For example: http://www.auto2speed.com/product-en-1081087-6505841-Real+Cyber+Air+Thunder+2015.html

- The helmet has an ECE R 22-05 certification label on the back.

- The chin strap of the helmet has a sewn in label indicating ECE certification. To wit, "E9 05. 1268/P - 19606693" (note that "E9" is inside a circle, indicating that certification was granted in Spain). See paragraph 5.1.4 of the ECE specification.

- The visor has "E9 05. 1269" stamped into it *note that "E9" is inside a circle). See paragraph 5.1.5 of the ECE specification.

ECE standards spec: http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/r022r4e.pdf

You ask, "I never see in europe shope this is helmet. where can check?" Note that just because product X has an ECE certification, that does not mean that it will be sold in any or all of those various countries. Real brand helmets may or may not be sold in one or another European country. Of course I cannot tell you which countries, nor which shops in which countries. I have no way of knowing such things. Perhaps they're sold in Australia or New Zealand or South Africa. Who can say?

"ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally, required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM, CCS, Formula USA and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s (the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa." -- http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

Dont Smoke ,all for nothing painfull expensive journey.Yep im one of those Pain in the Arse buggers who quit n preach. Not Realy though. Cant stand em.gigglem.gif A good Arai is a life saver,plastic hats are not any use,they cut your head open.

Where can check?

How do you know an Arai helmet (for example) is ECE R 22-05 certified? Or that a Shark is ECE R 22-05 certified?

ok then..

biggrin.png

Thank you for large and detailed response.

but please not compare and ask What its diferrence with Arai for 20k

Just try it

and understand..

PS

never see real in Shark certificate.

wink.png

Ps after PS

not all Arai got ECE 2205 even same model..

For US/Canada its onle DOT and Snellthumbsup.gif

wai.gif

good luck on road

Where can check?

ok then..

biggrin.png

Just try it

and understand..

PS

wink.png

Ps after PS

wai.gif

good luck on road

DOT is effectively the same as ECE R 22-05, according to what I read... It is generally held that helmets which pass one of those two standards will pass the other. I'm not sure what's up with Snell as a standard these days.

A bit confused by your reply, so just to be clear, "Shark" is not a certification. It is a brand of helmets, highly regarded by some. I've seen some Shark helmets listed for 5-6,000 or so, while others are nearer the 20,000 Baht mark.

Matters relating to importation are important here as well. Many Shark helmets are made in Rayong. Helmets made in Rayong might be something of a reasonable value, since goods made in Thailand are not subject to those customs duties that can run to 100-120% of the pre-import cost of an item. A helmet selling for say, $200US, when imported from the USA to Thailand, would be subject to customs duties of as much as 100-120%, such that the $200US helmet would end up costing $400-450US, or 15,750 Baht or so. It's still a $200US helmet, of course... It's just that you had to pay the equivalent of $400-450US for that $200US helmet because it was imported from the USA.

As for the mystique or allure of an Arai or Shoei or whatever helmet -- I had those kinds of helmets when I lived in the states, so I know what they're about. Mostly, they're about name brand. Some people like Mercedes and BMWs and Porsches. Ohh!!! Craftsmanship!, and alleged quality, I guess (though owners of Volkswagen diesels may disagree these days). I find my Nissan works wonderfully well, and since it costs far less, I have absolutely no reason to buy a Mercedes or BMW or Porsche. It's similar with helmets and motorcycles, I guess. Given that I can find a quite nice ECE R 22-05 certified helmets for 2,100-3,000 Baht, I have no reason to pay 20,000 Baht for a helmet, or more.

Perhaps it is you who should try a 2,100 Baht Real helmet and compare it to the Arai. And then ask yourself if paying ten times more is really worth it.

You'll need a new helmet. Even if you just drop your helmet onto a hard floor, you should think about replacing it.

If shipping a helmet, it must be correctly packed - if not the handling on the journey may well impair its structural integrity.

One of the reasons I don't do a lot of biking in Thailand is the inconvenience of wearing suitable safety clothing - gloves, jacket and protective trousers.

I restrict my self to my 125 step-through and ALWAYS wear a hat and boots that won't fly off. - shoes are no good.

You also make a good point about potholes - I was nearly brought down by one on a main road recently. After decades of motorcycling, I have learned to pay attention to the road surface ahead ( a skill lacking in many car drivers), but I still didn't notice this pothole until I had hit it and nearly lost control of the bike.

human error is said to account for up 90% of all "accidents" - and I certainly made an error that time. I didn't come off but I was wearing gloves helmet and a long sleeved jacket and thick jeans with heavy boots.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Great thread, thanks.

Thanks

Basically the strength of a helmet is gained from the same physics as the egg - so the less breaks in the material the better. One thing that is of concern is the addition of "accessories" to the outside of a helmet - anything from vents to fluffy ears.

it isn't simply the strength of the helmet that is important, it is how it behaves when in contact with the road - so the surface, material and how it wears are all factors. if the helmet has protrusions of any kind, they may well "snag" on the road surface and thus wreck the drivers head - this obviously can lead to neck injuries and even be fatal.

the same applies to clothing - the reason for leather is that rather than tear, exposing the drivers flesh, it tends to "erode" against the asphalt thus offering protection as the driver slides along. some modern materials can emulate this.

I am glad you are ok mate, seems you would of certainly lost your winning smile if not for the full face. I was knocked off my bike on satdee in BKK, he side swiped me on Rama 9, which wasn't fun. But, like you I was wearing full gear and so, no injuries thank goodness. 10k damage to my bike and already fixed and back on the road, dude drove off so guessing no insurance. Is what it is.

attachicon.gif1468039475484.png

note the tear in this jacket - the skin is exposed - not the kind of damage you want from protective clothing

Where can check?

ok then..

biggrin.png

Just try it

and understand..

PS

wink.png

Ps after PS

wai.gif

good luck on road

DOT is effectively the same as ECE R 22-05, according to what I read... It is generally held that helmets which pass one of those two standards will pass the other. I'm not sure what's up with Snell as a standard these days.

A bit confused by your reply, so just to be clear, "Shark" is not a certification. It is a brand of helmets, highly regarded by some. I've seen some Shark helmets listed for 5-6,000 or so, while others are nearer the 20,000 Baht mark.

Matters relating to importation are important here as well. Many Shark helmets are made in Rayong. Helmets made in Rayong might be something of a reasonable value, since goods made in Thailand are not subject to those customs duties that can run to 100-120% of the pre-import cost of an item. A helmet selling for say, $200US, when imported from the USA to Thailand, would be subject to customs duties of as much as 100-120%, such that the $200US helmet would end up costing $400-450US, or 15,750 Baht or so. It's still a $200US helmet, of course... It's just that you had to pay the equivalent of $400-450US for that $200US helmet because it was imported from the USA.

As for the mystique or allure of an Arai or Shoei or whatever helmet -- I had those kinds of helmets when I lived in the states, so I know what they're about. Mostly, they're about name brand. Some people like Mercedes and BMWs and Porsches. Ohh!!! Craftsmanship!, and alleged quality, I guess (though owners of Volkswagen diesels may disagree these days). I find my Nissan works wonderfully well, and since it costs far less, I have absolutely no reason to buy a Mercedes or BMW or Porsche. It's similar with helmets and motorcycles, I guess. Given that I can find a quite nice ECE R 22-05 certified helmets for 2,100-3,000 Baht, I have no reason to pay 20,000 Baht for a helmet, or more.

Perhaps it is you who should try a 2,100 Baht Real helmet and compare it to the Arai. And then ask yourself if paying ten times more is really worth it.

Sorry ofcouse its SHARP rating.

I try real.

Do not like. Smell new helmet some cemical.

In speed under 100 km noise.

Even more noise then low price HJC.

And HJC have now even some model good price..

Please you try arai and after say some think.

You'll need a new helmet. Even if you just drop your helmet onto a hard floor, you should think about replacing it.

If shipping a helmet, it must be correctly packed - if not the handling on the journey may well impair its structural integrity.

One of the reasons I don't do a lot of biking in Thailand is the inconvenience of wearing suitable safety clothing - gloves, jacket and protective trousers.

I restrict my self to my 125 step-through and ALWAYS wear a hat and boots that won't fly off. - shoes are no good.

You also make a good point about potholes - I was nearly brought down by one on a main road recently. After decades of motorcycling, I have learned to pay attention to the road surface ahead ( a skill lacking in many car drivers), but I still didn't notice this pothole until I had hit it and nearly lost control of the bike.

human error is said to account for up 90% of all "accidents" - and I certainly made an error that time. I didn't come off but I was wearing gloves helmet and a long sleeved jacket and thick jeans with heavy boots.

Agree to a point, pre-ride education & riding skill are the best protection IMHO.

On helmets a bit over the top for me much the same as sales comments on helmet life.

Also 125 OK for pottering about local but personally I feel much safer on Big Bikes I find riding them on road are respected much more by car drivers.

I am glad you are ok mate, seems you would of certainly lost your winning smile if not for the full face. I was knocked off my bike on satdee in BKK, he side swiped me on Rama 9, which wasn't fun. But, like you I was wearing full gear and so, no injuries thank goodness. 10k damage to my bike and already fixed and back on the road, dude drove off so guessing no insurance. Is what it is.

attachicon.gif1468039475484.png

note the tear in this jacket - the skin is exposed - not the kind of damage you want from protective clothing

Actually mate, no skin was exposed, no Ida where you got that from. I have zero injuries dispite sliding 30 feet. The Taichi brand seemed to work very well for a budget jacket bought for the reason of both safety and to stay cool.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
flaming

Agree to a point, pre-ride education & riding skill are the best protection IMHO.

On helmets a bit over the top for me much the same as sales comments on helmet life.

Also 125 OK for pottering about local but personally I feel much safer on Big Bikes I find riding them on road are respected much more by car drivers.

Then you are ignoring not just the evidence in Thailand but all over the world. you don't even seem to understand the kind of head injuries that people dioe from or how they are inflicted. I think you would be unable to back up your hypotheses with any factual or scientific papers.

One of the biggest risks regarding road safety is ignorance - people whob make up their own ideas and think their own experience is more than just a drop of water in an ocean of research.

Then you are ignoring not just the evidence in Thailand but all over the world. you don't even seem to understand the kind of head injuries that people dioe from or how they are inflicted. I think you would be unable to back up your hypotheses with any factual or scientific papers.

One of the biggest risks regarding road safety is ignorance - people whob make up their own ideas and think their own experience is more than just a drop of water in an ocean of research.

1/. Drive Defensively . Always assume other person has not seen you and is going to do the wrong thing. Watch the road and conditions. Love riding and opening the Bike out but always think when get home in One piece "That was a good ride" Kept me going for 44 years so far