Video: Why a green light spells danger

webfact

Even more shocking to me is that it appears that the driver never really put on the breaks. It seems more like the bike dragging on the ground just did the majority of the deceleration. The only marks on the ground are from the bike being dragged along as the car keeps on going.

Even at the end the wheels are still clearly turning on the black car. it seems as if the driver just took his foot off the gas and slid to a stop... !!

No control of the vehicle. If he would have slammed on the breaks you would expect to see two black streaks from the tires not the one on the far side of the car caused by the bike... !!

The second video here is similar, complete loss of control of the vehicle, the truck does not even try to stop and hence is forced to a stop by the median and poles... !!

These people should have there driving privileges revoked for years if not more, disgusting... =[...

Even more shocking to me is that it appears that the driver never really put on the breaks. It seems more like the bike dragging on the ground just did the majority of the deceleration. The only marks on the ground are from the bike being dragged along as the car keeps on going.

Even at the end the wheels are still clearly turning on the black car. it seems as if the driver just took his foot off the gas and slid to a stop... !!

No control of the vehicle. If he would have slammed on the breaks you would expect to see two black streaks from the tires not the one on the far side of the car caused by the bike... !!

The second video here is similar, complete loss of control of the vehicle, the truck does not even try to stop and hence is forced to a stop by the median and poles... !!

These people should have there driving privileges revoked for years if not more, disgusting... =[...

j

He probably put his foot down even harder, to flee the scene of the crime! The bike brought him to a halt, and the twisted chassis stopped him opening his door to run away.

In my experience in Pattaya, road junctions are safest and produce least congestion when the traffic lights fail completely. If a traffic BiB is in charge of the junction, it's a snafu.

this is highly irresponsible demon on the roads.

many questions come to the mind - did he have a driver's licence, what was he

doing at the time of collision, apparently he was not thinking.

totally unacceptable road behaviour.

RIP to the rider...

But in this country (or anywhere TBH), there's no excuse for getting killed going through a green light... Green does not give you the right to proceed with impunity, but to proceed with caution... There are plenty of idiots on the roads who still ignore red lights.

I actually failed my driving test in the UK about 40 years ago for going through a green light without first clearly checking it was safe from all directions - and it's a lesson that has served me well since living in T/L these last 10 years, probably saving my life on at least 2 occasions....

Maybe, just maybe, the motorbike went through a red light !!

Yes, the other car in the video is stopped but he is waiting to turn right. Its possible that the car went through a green light, albeit in the wrong lane...

If you look carefully at the movie, you will see that the motorbike driver had a green light.

Not sure about the Thai traffic codes, but in my country the traffic rules says that you can enter a crossing with green light AFTER assuring yourself that the passage of the crossing is safe.

I am a member of the FaceBook group "Bad driving in Thailand" and the accidents you see published in that group on a daily base are a cumulation of sheer ignorance to the rules and a pathetic way of driving.

As long as Thailand does not punish in an adequate way the drivers who chose to ignore the traffic rules;

As long as Thailand has not a working Police force who adhere to the traffic rules without corruption;

As long as Thailand has not a "real" driving test with everybody who wants to drive a vehicle is forced to follow a course at an agreed learning center;

Thailand will remain a spot on the world where driving is the most dangerous.

RIP to the motorbike driver.

"sheer ignorance to the rules"

what do you expect, no education about the rules.

In my country you need a certain number of hours in the classroom,

a certain number of hours driving with a driving instructor

before you are accepted for the final written exam and driving test.

Many have to repeat one or more times

Ignorance of the traffic laws?

He ran a red light..

I'm pretty sure, Thailand's requirements to obtain a Thai drivers license, had nothing to do with this guy, blowing through a red light.

Many accidents happen when the drivers or riders cross intersections while it is red!

Secondly most Thai drivers have no understanding of keeping distance between cars. Most of the drivers get as close as possible to the vehicle in front!

Thirdly, everyday I witness several aggressive drivers pushing the rest of road participants or speeding like there is not another day. Total madness on the road.

I don't see things improving and I think the police should be more in traffic spotting these guys, but not just creating road blocks. It doesn't work this way.

Edited by Thunder26

The car driver must have been full of drugs. How can you not avoid seeing the motorbike even if driving on a red light? And even when he hit the bike he does not slow down . Like he was blind , incredible . Hope he will rot in jail .

That's the problem with the whole system that looks to find fault every time there is an accident!

Everyone is conditioned to look for the guilty party, while nobody takes responsibility for their own actions and the carnage continues.

I read all these posts about enforcers saving the day, it is the same bullpoo that has been spouted round the world as the cure all for fifty years!

"More Police required to enforce safety on the roads" "It's his fault he should not have been (enter heinous sin of choice, default usually speeding)".

Only problem is that it does not work, anywhere. The safest roads on this planet are where there is proper rider and driver training, the world map of accident rates by country maps a clear correlation between training and not enforcement. A clear example of this would be the US, loads of enforcement but far below average on road safety.

This can also be seen in Thailand where the country is five years in to the "Decade of road safety". this initiative is funded by Bloomsburg Philanthropists from the USA. It has backing from the UN and the WHO so this appears to be the whole world trying to help Thailand improve road safety. So with all that money and big names, why is Thailand's road safety record still worsening? For that you have to look to what is being funded. 1/ is the people looking to earn big money contracts from "Safer" road building and projects. 2/ safer cars so people can drive into things faster and know they will be safe! and 3/ Enforcement, primarily of the Helmet and seatbelt laws. It would be nice to get funding for education programmes, to see the focus on teaching people to share the roads safely, only these approaches are not funded under the "Decade of road safety" only enforcement.

In the UK people are taught that Green is "go if safe to do so" Green has never meant simply "Go" My son was almost killed by a car jumping a set of lights just like in the video, only they were on a roundabout in England! The only difference is it does not happen as often in England. But even with all the enforcement and training it still does happen.

Observant people may ask why there are traffic lights on a roundabout? Silly isn't it! It's known as hypercompliance ever increasing rules to try and keep people safe, problem is that in the end it is the compliance that causes the issue. Maybe if the rider in the video had been taught to look before entering the junction then they still may be alive? Does not matter who caused the accident or who is to "Blame", what should be far more important is keeping ourselves safe and alive!

No Surprise / No Accident

Thai Safe Rider