SCB Bank, closing an account or emptying it?

I had a term deposit with the SCB Bank for an 8 month fixed period. I went to get the money out today and they said they were unable to CLOSE the account as I had had a new passport issued since the account was opened and when it came to term.

They referenced my driving licence with the original passport along with my new passport, but said they could not CLOSE the account, however, they did transfer all of the cash to my current account. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? Between closing and transferring? Makes no sense to me.

Probably just a bank policy to protect them and you....gosh knows what scams have been attempted in the past in attempts by scammers/forgers to get money from accounts with bogus documents.

I expect if  you had shown them your old passport (assuming you have the cancelled passport) which was the original ID you used to open the account they would have closed the account.  But since they transferred all the money to a new account you are good-to-go.

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

It's not supposed to make sense but if you still have access to all your money then be happy, I had something similar a few years ago but I totally lost interest in the banks idiotic statements, they have no idea what they are doing.

Do you speak fluent Thai?

Balance to Zero and shred the bank book - simple as that. I closed a bank account once only some 30 years back; the paperwork was ENDLESS, copies of this, copies of that etc. etc. 
Ever since I opened bank accounts close to where I was living at the time and, once moving on, balanced to zero and shredded the whole thing. Never a problem, never a phone call, never a letter, never nothing 8-) 

gdaya folks,

scb keeps your old passport no on its records as they assume like with thai id no. you would keep it your whole life. they do not account for that the passport no changes with the issuance of a new one. hence it is advisable keeping expired passports.

wbr roobaa01

35 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Balance to Zero and shred the bank book - simple as that. I closed a bank account once only some 30 years back; the paperwork was ENDLESS, copies of this, copies of that etc. etc. 
Ever since I opened bank accounts close to where I was living at the time and, once moving on, balanced to zero and shredded the whole thing. Never a problem, never a phone call, never a letter, never nothing 8-) 

I balance them to zero too, but i don't shred them, as maybe one day i 'll need proof of the origin of the money.

What makes sense is that the SCB banking system/staff doesn't make sense.  Once I handed a 1,000 baht note to a SCB bank teller and asked for lag (smaller denominations) and she handed me back 1,500 baht in 100s & 50s.  That was the SCB branch at MBK, should you wish to try to follow in my footsteps.  Again, chalk it up to a solid national education system.

Now I have to go back to watching Thai television's riveting soap operas & singing contests.

14 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It's not supposed to make sense but if you still have access to all your money then be happy, I had something similar a few years ago but I totally lost interest in the banks idiotic statements, they have no idea what they are doing.

Banks all make up their own rules, even different branches of the same bank. I left SCB a few years ago because of their dreadful customer relations.

1 hour ago, roobaa01 said:

gdaya folks,

scb keeps your old passport no on its records as they assume like with thai id no. you would keep it your whole life. they do not account for that the passport no changes with the issuance of a new one. hence it is advisable keeping expired passports.

wbr roobaa01

When I got a new passport I went to the bank and notified them of the change. No problem. Fairly common process. They just want to have your current passport information which is linked to your account(s). If you want to do counter cash withdrawals, etc and present your passport as ID, they expect the passport number linked to the account to be the same as the passport you hand them for ID.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Banks all make up their own rules, even different branches of the same bank. I left SCB a few years ago because of their dreadful customer relations.

@SCB ban chang tesco

I had a different case.  I lost my purse and told them i would need cash they would not listen to me as I showed them my passport they said I am a Thai so I need to show them a Thai national ID.  I replied how the hell I could get it now because it was Sat. and to get a new one I have to wait until the next Mon.   I needed to use some cash for my spending. I phoned a branch manager different branch from this one to get help she replied "No I can't help you".  Hopeless!!!!!!!  personally I know her.

I said " are you trying to prove who I am or strict to the rule?" have I made a fake passport?  F.................ck!!!!!!

Next time I went again to SCB where I opened this account.  the manager said it is fine you don't need to have an ID and your passport is ok. (a passport also has a corresponding id no.) 

They keep bothering people .  it depends on themselves.

@SCB ban chang tesco,    I said i need to have a new ATm card.  And the same staff (last time rudely) said the cheap plastic is out of stock, if you need to have one you can make the one that is moe expensive.  someone said this is the trick of making money they don't want people to get the cheaper one.  she is a very rude person.

closing and transferring is not the same for them but for us it is more or less the same.

####don't trust a bank staff and a lawyer ####

Edited by SattaheapSea

1 hour ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

What makes sense is that the SCB banking system/staff doesn't make sense.  Once I handed a 1,000 baht note to a SCB bank teller and asked for lag (smaller denominations) and she handed me back 1,500 baht in 100s & 50s.  That was the SCB branch at MBK, should you wish to try to follow in my footsteps.  Again, chalk it up to a solid national education system.

Now I have to go back to watching Thai television's riveting soap operas & singing contests.

" Again, chalk it up to a solid national education system. "

I'm sure no bank teller or shop cashier in your country has ever made a mistake and the farang land soap operas and "Farang has Talent" or Eurovision Song contest or whatever dreck you spend your time watching is truly riveting.

I chalk your comment up to an unwarranted & unrestrained sense of superiority and an education systen that relied on xenophobia to inspire national identity.

Well,

you are correct, SCB relates the original account to the original passport. However, when I was at the bank and was told this I gave the teller my Thai driving license, which has my original passport details on it, she accepted it as far as identifying the account but still was unable to close it.

(By the way if any mods are looking in at these posts, the new site seems to have some problems in Win10 (anniversary update) in replying using the "QUOTE" button, i.e. replying to a specific person, it shows the "Hand" symbol but does absolutely nothing.

7 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

gdaya folks,

wbr roobaa01

So Thai bank officers don't have passports and don't know they expire in 5 years,pull the other one.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

My local branch wouldn't even have me,so i signed up in the provincial capital.Now i go into the local branch just to annoy them.I get bored sometimes but this brightens my day up.

6 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

" Again, chalk it up to a solid national education system. "

I'm sure no bank teller or shop cashier in your country has ever made a mistake and the farang land soap operas and "Farang has Talent" or Eurovision Song contest or whatever dreck you spend your time watching is truly riveting.

I chalk your comment up to an unwarranted & unrestrained sense of superiority and an education systen that relied on xenophobia to inspire national identity.

i wonder if he gave the 500 baht back.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

No facial hair policy.......or just anger issues?

Normally they do not want to close current savings accounts - loss of face for branch when accounts are closed - they happy to let you take all but a few baht out however - always the chance you might come back to actively use again that way and no account was closed on there watch.