What on earth is this device on my neighbors roof?

skraach

just a customer's ISP Wireless Link antenna

with line of sight you can be up to 40+ km away from the ISP transmission tower, with one of these

If building unattended, might also have a Repeater to extend the ISP's range further, or into shielded valleys etc

Edited by tifino
typo

It doesn't look like any of the AIS AirNET or TOT WiNet transceivers I've seen, but they are always streamlining new models and suppliers.

That looks a bit more "home-grown"; (wireless 2.4/5 GHz) wireless bridge, extending internet service from or to your neighbors house. 

It looks more like a chimney made in Thailand to me....

If the guy's familiar with several programs he/she can crack quite a few WiFi connections. Free internet for all. 

Edited by lostinisaan

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It doesn't look like any of the AIS AirNET or TOT WiNet transceivers I've seen, but they are always streamlining new models and suppliers.

That looks a bit more "home-grown"; (wireless 2.4/5 GHz) wireless bridge, extending internet service from or to your neighbors house. 

I tend to agree. If it's WiNet then the Main tower should be in the direct neighborhood of the house because it seems that the structure in the picture isn't that high up (not even installed on the highest point of the roof)

56 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I tend to agree. If it's WiNet then the Main tower should be in the direct neighborhood of the house because it seems that the structure in the picture isn't that high up (not even installed on the highest point of the roof)

Well it looks exactly the same as the TOT WiNet transceiver I have on my bungalow. Being a bungalow it isn't very high up but still works perfectly well.

The inlaws have an AIS WiNet version in the village in Korat. The actual AIS transceiver is about twice the size as my TOT version. Theirs isn't on top highest point on the roof either but theirs also works well.

14 minutes ago, sumrit said:

Well it looks exactly the same as the TOT WiNet transceiver I have on my bungalow. Being a bungalow it isn't very high up but still works perfectly well.

The inlaws have an AIS WiNet version in the village in Korat. The actual AIS transceiver is about twice the size as my TOT version. Theirs isn't on top highest point on the roof either but theirs also works well.

Mine looks a bit like this

sxt-lite5-c-.jpg

And it stands on a 17 meter high tower in our garden.

But as mtls2005 already said (and what I quoted)

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

<snip>

Edited by MJCM

31 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Mine looks a bit like this

sxt-lite5-c-.jpg

And it stands on a 17 meter high tower in our garden.

But as mtls2005 already said (and what I quoted)

You've probably got one of the older and original TOT tranceivers. I would guess that yours is probably over five years old. I've had mine for five years now and it looks exactly like to one in the OP's picture. It's oblong in shape, about 6-7 inches by 3 inches in size. It's fitted to a pole on the front wall which holds it about four feet above the apex of our bungalow roof. My mate round the corner also has TOT WiNet and his transceiver is exactly the same and again sits about four feet above his roof..

house showing winet.jpg

Mine got installed just (really just as it was May or June) over 1 year ago.

That looks really low, ours is around 17m high.

Ours is a (standalone) square concrete pole (with a concrete base) and top of that a Alu (not sure) mast extended on it for a total of around 17m. Really stands out, but IMO is not an Eye Sore

Edit: Question, how far is it to your WiNet Main tower? Mine is around 3kms away

Edited by MJCM

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:07 PM, sumrit said:

Same as ours