Praewa completes her community service, 4 years after the court orders it

webfact

Praewa completes her community service, 4 years after the court orders it

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

IMG_0246.jpg

Orachorn ‘Praewa’ Thephasadin Na Ayudhya turns herself in at Metropolitan Police Office headquarters Jan. 5, 2011, in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — The woman from a wealthy family who previously failed to do a community service as a punishment for killing 9 people in a 2010 car crash told the court Tuesday she has finally completed the term.

It took Orachorn “Praewa” Thephasadin Na Ayudhya, who was a minor and had no driving license at the time of the accident, four years to complete the 138-hour community service because she had earlier “misunderstood” the conditions of the court’s order. She was given a second chance by the court in June.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/08/23/praewa-completes-community-service/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-08-24

Didn't this rich family have the services of an expensive lawyer who would have explained the terms of the original sentence   ?

It doesn't matter as it would only get in the way the pathetic excuse of   '  I didn't understand  '.

The courts showing these types of lenient sentences to the Hiso society should realise that it only causes further divisions in society where the poorer people would have copped the full brunt of the law. 

I would have liked to have said that her punishment would be that she has to live with this the rest of her life but this little spoilt brat has thumbed her nose at the courts has shown no remorse and doesn't give a sh.t and the victims or the families.

30million baht settlement eh?  OK.  Fine if that is between the people involved and if that is what it takes for the families not to pursue legal action.  But why can't the state or government then file manslaughter charges?  I can understand paying off the families involved, but they should not be able to pay off the government.  This just stinks.  Plain old rotten and sends a bad message that will be resented by many Thais.  Sadly though, many people in Thailand are under so much financial pressure that many probably hope for such a settlement in some sordid way

24 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

Terrible or what.....

how,she can live with herself, is beyond me....

There are many things that happen in this land that make me think that the concept and reality of 'conscience' is totally unknown here.

1 hour ago, The stuttering parrot said:

The courts showing these types of lenient sentences to the Hiso society should realise that it only causes further divisions in society where the poorer people would have copped the full brunt of the law. 

I would have liked to have said that her punishment would be that she has to live with this the rest of her life but this little spoilt brat has thumbed her nose at the courts has shown no remorse and doesn't give a sh.t and the victims or the families.

The guillotine took care of this, in France, a long time ago.

1 hour ago, The stuttering parrot said:

While I agree the punishment was light and it seems HISO seem to get off easy.. what about the truck driver that killed that around the world bicyclist.. he did not do any time either. In general not often is there jail-time done when killing someone with a car. I have heard of people in my extended family that killed someone with a car too.. also no time done after a settlement. They were certainly not HISO or loaded with money. 

There is no real surprise here to be fair, even at the time it happened there wasn't much likely-hood that the rule of law would apply to someone with that particular name.  Have to accept that it's rotten from the top, and as long as the dinosaurs are able to control it, nothing much will change. 

Unfortunately there is no such thing as karma, or Thai justice. This brat got away with killing 9 people but thinks she was hard done by and that the sentence, if you can call it that, was too harsh. The hi so here are like the French aristocracy before the revolution.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

30million baht settlement eh?  OK.  Fine if that is between the people involved and if that is what it takes for the families not to pursue legal action.  But why can't the state or government then file manslaughter charges?  I can understand paying off the families involved, but they should not be able to pay off the government.  This just stinks.  Plain old rotten and sends a bad message that will be resented by many Thais.  Sadly though, many people in Thailand are under so much financial pressure that many probably hope for such a settlement in some sordid way

What has the case got to do with the government? Unless you believe it is they who enforce the laws rather than the police, a common misconception among TV commentators. The government MAKES the laws. It is up to others to enforce them, not the government.

As for the 'settlement', that is the way things are done in Thailand, where money always trumps justice. In my village a kid riding a motorbike killed someone, and the kid's family simply paid compensation. The police never even got involved. Some might see that as a more practical way of dealing with such matters.