Thai Superstition and Broken Plates

llso

B) Having lived in Thailand before for many years there are still things I am not aware of. I just noticed and began to think about that whenever we break a plate or bowl in the kitchen my Thai wife from Issan puts the broken pieces under the front porch. I noticed this before but never really thought anything about it. A newly broken plate was also thrown under the porch. I'm sure there is some sort of Thai superstition involved. Whenever I ask her about any of these things she dismisses as something I should not be concerned about. Has anyone else heard anything about this or seen the same thing?

That's because an elf and a gnome will come to fix those broken plates with superglue....

you have lived in Thailand for so many years and you still looking for a

sensible answers to many of the inexplicable Thai people do? I stopped

long time ago.....

Edited by ezzra

My wife will only buy Superware plates and dishes and they are pretty much indestructible. I think you could drive your car over them and they wouldn't break. She does tell me off when I refer to them as 'plastic'

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

My wife will only buy Superware plates and dishes and they are pretty much indestructible. I think you could drive your car over them and they wouldn't break. She does tell me off when I refer to them as 'plastic'

Yeah we've got a lot of em too, they don't go down very well in the microwave though, l'll try the car thing later. :D

best smash one over her head and tell her every time she breaks one this is a custom of "farangland" and not to question it. but it  must be done............just say "tradition or  culture"

My daughter has just started her periods and has associated tummy aches / feeling unwell.

Thai grandma told her to sit on the top step and shuffle down three steps - this wouild limit the period pains to three days.

That's pretty normal!

So, I suggested that she only shuffle down ONE step so the pains would only last one day.

That confused 'em!!

Like many superstitions, in all countries, they are based of some long ago reason, so far back many people do not know its origin, and, as Thais do not like to admit they don't know, you will get the "something you should not be concerned about."

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah we've got a lot of em too, they don't go down very well in the microwave though, l'll try the car thing later. :D

Melamine, one of the types of plastic used in making plates and bowls, gets super-hot in a microwave, and usually there's a warning on the base. They can end up a smoking, molten mess.

I once left my kitchen in the care of an asian student, and she destroyed a heap of plates and bowls in the microwave, before deciding to use the Corning ware plates, which are heat resistant.

Non-stick pots and pans don't do too well either , if users have never been raised in a modern kitchen.  They don't like sharp knives and metal spoons.

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Thatbetause an elf and a gnome will come to fix those broken plates with superglue....

you have lived in Thailand for so many years and you still looking for a

sensible answers to many of the inexplicable Thai people do? I stopped

long time ago.....

Your answer re elf and gnomes wasnt anywhere near being as sensible as most Thais. Pots and kettles come to mind.

Broken plates here before.  Never observed anything like what you've experienced, but it could be a regional thing, if it's a thing at all.    Nephew broke a nice bowl yesterday.  He put it in the trash bin.  86 year old Mom here didn't say anything and if anyone was going to, it would be her.  

I looked at a Thai superstition blog and the only reference to broken plates I saw was never use a cracked/broken plate as it will make your family argue often.   Found others on Coconuts website.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/02/06/60-thai-superstitious-dos-and-donts-your-convenience

Edited by 55Jay
add link

Thais don't seem to have a problem walking under ladders. If they spill salt, they don't throw it over their shoulder. They won't get a haircut on Wednesday. Farang superstitions are no different in terms of making sense.

There is a former first lady in the US who would vent her anger at her president-husband by throwing plates at him, right there in the White House.  This according to former Secret Service agents.  If you pass this tidbit on to your mrs, OP, do let us know how she responds.

(hint: the lady in question is on the news an awful lot these days)

Edited by bendejo

6 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Thais don't seem to have a problem walking under ladders. If they spill salt, they don't throw it over their shoulder. They won't get a haircut on Wednesday. Farang superstitions are no different in terms of making sense.

makes some  sense  not to walk under a  ladder...........having  worked up them for years i really should be dead  by now the amount of times Ive walked under them

16 hours ago, masuk said:

Melamine, one of the types of plastic used in making plates and bowls, gets super-hot in a microwave, and usually there's a warning on the base. They can end up a smoking, molten mess.

I once left my kitchen in the care of an asian student, and she destroyed a heap of plates and bowls in the microwave, before deciding to use the Corning ware plates, which are heat resistant.

Non-stick pots and pans don't do too well either , if users have never been raised in a modern kitchen.  They don't like sharp knives and metal spoons.

First time l used the same melamine one a few times it cracked into pieces.  

The non stick round tray that came with the microwave is fine.

My Mrs used microwaves for the first time in England when we came to stay in Thailand it was one of the first things she bought.

Superstition can be a dreadful monkey on your back,if you are made to believe in it.My wife had total belief in the local family 'pooying morn dumb'(local card reader and  fortune teller) She kept on at me so much to visit this hag,that i eventually relented. On the way over the wife kept telling me how pleased i would be by going to this 'seer'

When we got to her front door,there was a note pinned to it.Roughly translated,it read "Closed due to unforeseen circumstances":cheesy:

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Superstition can be a dreadful monkey on your back,if you are made to believe in it.My wife had total belief in the local family 'pooying morn dumb'(local card reader and  fortune teller) She kept on at me so much to visit this hag,that i eventually relented. On the way over the wife kept telling me how pleased i would be by going to this 'seer'

When we got to her front door,there was a note pinned to it.Roughly translated,it read "Closed due to unforeseen circumstances":cheesy:

Sad,  ranks  right up there with all religions  though. nothing more than made up crap for what people couldnt/cant yet understand and still it persists  in the age of enlightment, slowly  the myths are being eroded away though..theres  hope  yet