Taking m'bike to Pattaya

As long as your wife has/finds the green book and brings it along with the bike   there is no bureaucracy to do with the move

you can pay tax insurance in any province..there is no need to change number plates... make a copy of green book and keep it under the seat  for when the police stop you...keep the original in a safe place at home.

John, are you sure he will not have to change the area the bike is registered in?
Also, when the tags expire, it will take a but longer to get new registration as the paperwork will have to be sent to CM and back to Pattaya right?

58 minutes ago, HLover said:

John, are you sure he will not have to change the area the bike is registered in

Yes 100% percent sure there is no requirement to change the area of registration

( you can do it if you want but it offers no advantage)

not sure what you mean by "tags expire"  the  things that expire every year are the vehicle "tax disc"

( or square here) and compulsory insurance

( you can add your own insurance on top of that if you want to )

The registration plate does not expire..it only needs to be changed when/if you want to officially "move" the bike to a new province..this usually happens when the bike is sold ..the new owner can either  do all the paperwork and change names in the green book at the DLT of the province that the bike is currently registered in  or if that is not convenient  they can have the bike transported to their local province DLT and request that the bike be "moved"    most   if not all ( still some arguments on here about that )

DLT's  insist that you  "move" a bike to their province before they will

change the name in the green book...it takes at least 2 trips and they issue you with a new registration plate with new number and province printed on it.

58 minutes ago, HLover said:

new registration as the paperwork will have to be sent to CM and back to Pattaya right?

Again you don't re-register the vehicle every year

You can pay tax and insurance in any province...when you do that you are not re-registering the vehicle

no documents need to be sent to Chaingmai.

Edited by johng
formatting

I have 2 Phuket plated bikes which I've been riding in Bangkok since 2008. Just renew the tax every year in BKK with no issues. Police never comment on it when I'm stopped.

I also changed a Chiang Mai plated bike to have BKK plates at the DLT in BKK. No issue with that either.