StevieAus

Hi I am 66 years old and have lived in Thailand for five years utilizing a retirement extension and also holding a multiple re entry permit 

I am married to a Thai National (we married in Australia) who also holds Australian citizenship and we have a baby

I also have my own house book and Thai ID card issue by the local District Office my nearest Immigration Office is Chiang Mai

if I wish to change to a marriage visa is it necessary to leave the country and can this happen before the retirement extension expires

Thanks in advance

No need to leave the country.

When you apply for your next 12 month extension simply change the reason to Marriage.

You will need to register your Marriage in Thailand first.

This chap is American but the same applies to you.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/938137-american-needs-help-with-marriage-visa/#comment-11057798

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

As said, no need to leave the country and you make the change when you apply for the next extension of stay. 

• The earliest you can apply for the next extension (based on marriage or retirement) is 45 days before the expiry of your current permission to stay.

I don't wish to be a wet blanket but I tried to do this a few years ago at Phuket office

and I was told I would have to leave the country to obtain a new non "O" visa to enable

me to convert my retirement extension to a marriage extension.

I can't recall exactly the reason by think it was something to do with the fact that I had

obtained  the 90 day non "O" visa for my original retirement extension  on the basis of

conversion from a visa exempt entry. Not exactly sure on that.