Ford WildTrack is the best truck on the road in Thailand 3.2l

On 9/2/2016 at 8:26 AM, AlQaholic said:

I don't get it....each developed Country in the world has stringent test procedures for safety before any car can be imported and sold in the country. If it is sold and used in any of those countries, I trust the car is safe to drive.

If only it were that simple.  A Ford Zoomer made for Thailand isn't the same as a Ford Zoomer made in Thailand for the US market and isn't the same as a Ford Zoomer made in Thailand for the EU market.

My apologies if there is actually a car called the Zoomer.  I didn't mean to refer to a specific vehicle.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ronuk said:

Anybody know if the Ranger for Thailand is made in Ranong still or South Africa, where the European models are made?

I think they are assembled in Ranong but a lot of the parts must come from South Africa or South America with the waiting time for spare parts, I asked the local ford dealer why the long waiting time for spare parts when ford says on its web site 24 hour delivery on parts or they are free if the repair is done by ford, but got no answer 

34 minutes ago, impulse said:

Just out of curiosity, are there any "scalpers" buying them and selling them at a profit because of the leadtime?

Not that I am aware of. We are not even attempting to use them anymore. They are expensive compared to other manufacturers anyway but were getting a reasonable deal on them as fleet sales. The wild track is very expensive at around £33k retail. The LTD is around £28k.

12 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I think they are assembled in Ranong but a lot of the parts must come from South Africa or South America with the waiting time for spare parts, I asked the local ford dealer why the long waiting time for spare parts when ford says on its web site 24 hour delivery on parts or they are free if the repair is done by ford, but got no answer 

Rayong not Ranong.

What spare parts are taking so long? I have just done the 45,000 km service on the WT and did 60,000 on the previous XLT and never had to wait for consumables  I have had a warranty repair done on a front drive shaft and seal that took about 3 weeks but other parts I have bought are usually delivered within a working week and some within a few days. Looking at the labeling, most of the parts come from Thailand but some have come from India, Italy, Turkey and even the US.

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Rayong not Ranong.

What spare parts are taking so long? I have just done the 45,000 km service on the WT and did 60,000 on the previous XLT and never had to wait for consumables  I have had a warranty repair done on a front drive shaft and seal that took about 3 weeks but other parts I have bought are usually delivered within a working week and some within a few days. Looking at the labeling, most of the parts come from Thailand but some have come from India, Italy, Turkey and even the US.

Gearbox and engine parts, They first of all replaced the valve body in our pickup with a secondhand one they had which caused a similar problem , then they told me they would take one from a new vehicle in stock to replace our faulty one because no new spare was available, problem fixed

Our friends have a current model 4 year old Fiesta, The engine of their vehicle was under water when a flash flood hit their house, it took over 4 months for ford to fix the engine

No problem getting parts used in regular service maintenance and recalls it seems, and there should not be at any time 

On 9/28/2016 at 5:47 PM, madmax2 said:

Gearbox and engine parts, They first of all replaced the valve body in our pickup with a secondhand one they had which caused a similar problem , then they told me they would take one from a new vehicle in stock to replace our faulty one because no new spare was available, problem fixed

Our friends have a current model 4 year old Fiesta, The engine of their vehicle was under water when a flash flood hit their house, it took over 4 months for ford to fix the engine

No problem getting parts used in regular service maintenance and recalls it seems, and there should not be at any time 

I guess if it's a part that has a very low rate of failure or an assembly that has no user-serviceable parts, then a spare part may be hard to get. Good to hear that the dealership used the obvious option of using a part from a new vehicle. That scenario would be totally unthinkable a few years ago when Fords service was really abysmal.

A 4 year-old Fiesta would be well out of warranty so no way that repairs required due to a flood (that Ford didn't cause) would be expedited.

Three days ago when collecting the WT from service, they said another part would need replacing under warranty and it had been ordered. They would call me to arrange a repair appointment after the part arrives. I dropped by the dealership yesterday on other business and they advised the required part had arrived (24-hour delivery) and they could install it immediately if I had the time. I had the time and 2 hours later, the truck was ready.

The color-coded service checklist provided after the service noted that the brakes would probably need working on next time and the battery may have issues. Good to have a heads-up on extra items for the next scheduled service. I reckon brake shoes at 60,000 km and a new battery after 2+ years is par for the course. I sold the XLT at 60,000 km and the brakes were OK but it had the 2.2 engine so arguably more brake wear stopping a 3.2... or maybe I'm driving like a hoon in the bigger lorry? I was already on my second battery on the XLT when sold on.

Of course Toyota owners opinions may differ....

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I guess if it's a part that has a very low rate of failure or an assembly that has no user-serviceable parts, then a spare part may be hard to get. Good to hear that the dealership used the obvious option of using a part from a new vehicle. That scenario would be totally unthinkable a few years ago when Fords service was really abysmal.

A 4 year-old Fiesta would be well out of warranty so no way that repairs required due to a flood (that Ford didn't cause) would be expedited.

Three days ago when collecting the WT from service, they said another part would need replacing under warranty and it had been ordered. They would call me to arrange a repair appointment after the part arrives. I dropped by the dealership yesterday on other business and they advised the required part had arrived (24-hour delivery) and they could install it immediately if I had the time. I had the time and 2 hours later, the truck was ready.

The color-coded service checklist provided after the service noted that the brakes would probably need working on next time and the battery may have issues. Good to have a heads-up on extra items for the next scheduled service. I reckon brake shoes at 60,000 km and a new battery after 2+ years is par for the course. I sold the XLT at 60,000 km and the brakes were OK but it had the 2.2 engine so arguably more brake wear stopping a 3.2... or maybe I'm driving like a hoon in the bigger lorry? I was already on my second battery on the XLT when sold on.

Of course Toyota owners opinions may differ....

You may think having to wait 4 months for a current model fiesta to be repaired is OK but i and i expect most people would not be happy no matter what make of vehicle

It was not a warranty claim and no one said it was, Check fords web site they claim just about any part would be delivered to the ford dealer within 24 hours of ordering, not 4 months

I am glad you are happy with your ford, most people i know once they have problems getting them repaired in a reasonable period are not. and by talking to people in our local village there is nothing new about this problem with ford vehicles

Have a nice day and give your ranger a hug

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I reckon brake shoes at 60,000 km and a new battery after 2+ years is par for the course.

My Navara has now 147.000Km and is still on it's first set of brakes, while my first battery lasted 4 years.

My previous truck I also made +100.000km without needing to replace the brakes

Just now, Anthony5 said:

My Navara has now 147.000Km and is still on it's first set of brakes, while my first battery lasted 4 years.

Different rides have different brake longevity, all rides have different drivers with different driving habits regarding braking and so different brake lining longevity..

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Yes Anthony... but I got stuck behind you once as you were tootling along on Soi Siam Country Club and that's an hour of my life I won't get back.

...and batteries are mounted in different places in different trucks so some get 'cooked' faster than others.

1 hour ago, transam said:

Different rides have different brake longevity, all rides have different drivers with different driving habits regarding braking and so different brake lining longevity..

Consecutive Ranger ownership has obviously led to me developing a lead foot... sorry.

Just now, NanLaew said:

Yes Anthony... but I got stuck behind you once as you were tootling along on Soi Siam Country Club and that's an hour of my life I won't get back.

...and batteries are mounted in different places in different trucks so some get 'cooked' faster than others.

Consecutive Ranger ownership has obviously led to me developing a lead foot... sorry.

No I'm not an old man driver, otherwise I wouldn't make 147.000 km in 5 year, and as far as I'm aware all truck batteries are mounted under the hood. I'm sure you will agree that th engine is also under the hood with all trucks sold in Thailand.

So in short, your arguments are worthless, and just an excuse for your ........

2 hours ago, madmax2 said:

You may think having to wait 4 months for a current model fiesta to be repaired is OK but i and i expect most people would not be happy no matter what make of vehicle

It was not a warranty claim and no one said it was, Check fords web site they claim just about any part would be delivered to the ford dealer within 24 hours of ordering, not 4 months

I am glad you are happy with your ford, most people i know once they have problems getting them repaired in a reasonable period are not. and by talking to people in our local village there is nothing new about this problem with ford vehicles

Have a nice day and give your ranger a hug

I didn't say that waiting 4 months for the engine replacement on a current model well out of warranty, 4 year old car was acceptable... but it's probably par for the course in Thailand. Maybe the insurers who invariably paid for the engine replacement stalled on buying a new donger since the cars residual value was probably only twice as much as Ford would rightfully charge for a complete new engine. Then the repair shop had to scavenge engines, parts and accessories on the wreckers market. It had bugger all to do with Ford really. It was all to do with flood damage on an out of warranty car and how the insurance company mitigated their losses.

I already spoke about the part that was required and ordered on my last service that was subsequently delivered and installed within 48 hours. So yes, Fords advertised 24-hour delivery promise appears to be quite valid. Dead lucky I didn't need a whole new engine, eh?

Fords service history in Thailand is only bad because with very few exceptions, people post anecdotal tales about other people that have memories of when it was really bad, like your fellow villagers. Ford have upped their game considerably in the last 3-4 years but only a Ford owner would really know. Since the vast preponderance of fellow 'Ford huggers' are obviously hugely satisfied, they don't post much about how bloody good it can be. As my ex- used to cheerily say, "Sorry 'bout that, sometimes has to be like that."

12 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

No I'm not an old man driver, otherwise I wouldn't make 147.000 km in 5 year, and as far as I'm aware all truck batteries are mounted under the hood. I'm sure you will agree that th engine is also under the hood with all trucks sold in Thailand.

So in short, your arguments are worthless, and just an excuse for your ........

...so much for my assumption that you had a sense of humor then!

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I didn't say that waiting 4 months for the engine replacement on a current model well out of warranty, 4 year old car was acceptable... but it's probably par for the course in Thailand. Maybe the insurers who invariably paid for the engine replacement stalled on buying a new donger since the cars residual value was probably only twice as much as Ford would rightfully charge for a complete new engine. Then the repair shop had to scavenge engines, parts and accessories on the wreckers market. It had bugger all to do with Ford really. It was all to do with flood damage on an out of warranty car and how the insurance company mitigated their losses.

I already spoke about the part that was required and ordered on my last service that was subsequently delivered and installed within 48 hours. So yes, Fords advertised 24-hour delivery promise appears to be quite valid. Dead lucky I didn't need a whole new engine, eh?

Fords service history in Thailand is only bad because with very few exceptions, people post anecdotal tales about other people that have memories of when it was really bad, like your fellow villagers. Ford have upped their game considerably in the last 3-4 years but only a Ford owner would really know. Since the vast preponderance of fellow 'Ford huggers' are obviously hugely satisfied, they don't post much about how bloody good it can be. As my ex- used to cheerily say, "Sorry 'bout that, sometimes has to be like that."

Was not fellow villagers they are long time friends, it was transferred from the original insurance workshop to fords workshop because they had no parts to fix it and it was taking up valuable workshop space and was eventually repaired by ford when the parts arrived.

I do not know what they replaced the owners husband tried to start it and drive out of the flood water, being flooded it would not start but i do not believe they would have replaced the complete engine, how did you come to that conclusion , sounds like speculation to me

I have noticed that local people who have fords with no mechanical problems love them until they want to sell them

Our ford ranger is a 2.2 auto 4x4 dual cab wildtrack and when i asked the local ford dealer  what they would give me for as a trade in when it was 30 months old and had done under 40k klm i was offered 400k as trade in ( it still had a faulty gearbox at the time which they eventually fixed) 

Told ford i would drive it into the ground or give it to my son in law before i would sell it for that price which i still may do if i cannot get a decent price for it when e eventually sell it in a couple of years time

Just checked fords web site and they still say all parts are 24 hour delivery, makes no difference if a vehicle is under warranty or not, and it should not

You can not compare the new model to any other!  I even sat  in the BMW in the show room yesterday. The BMW has even more plastic. The new ford is everything is says. It's just a shame that people up north are following me.  Also no other has the power of the 3.2l 

Edited September 1 by ArickChaiyaphum

He's Thai & he thinks we are stupid. He works for Ford. Case closed.

Now-a-days the problem is that pickup trucks are a fashion accessory. Initially build strong because they had to work - carry 450 litres in a tidy tank in the back, tow large trailers in 4 wheel drive situations - in short they were built to work. But with the popularity, and the rediculous CAFE standards started by the Left Coast of the USA, now spread to Europe, they are basically cars. Just look at the FWD styles - no more manual locking hubs, solid axle differentials, lockers worthy of the name. IRS that does not stand up to even one season in the Bush, doodads and geegaws like a BMW or a Merc - sad. So they use aluminum for the bodies, and they sardine can. If you polish them real good and get the light just right, you can see the beer can label thru the paint.

Yep ... Mr canthai55 is correct ... if you want to tip bricks in from a height buy a lorry. Here many, including me, have bought a pickup to use as a car. Better view, more ground clearance, go where a car can't, value for money compared to many cars and a big boot! I could get four sets of golf clubs and suit cases in the back of my V-Cross.

It's difficult to argue against the fact that at present the best 'body on frame' is the EV and best 'pickup' is the Wildtrak ... neither maybe the best value for money though.

Archived