Silpakorn apologizes for 'shameless and irresponsible' Sieg-Heiling students

webfact

Silpakorn apologizes for 'shameless and irresponsible' Sieg-Heiling students

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter -

Nazi-Cosplay2.jpg

Silpakorn University student in Bangkok dresses recently as Adolf Hitler. Photo: Washirawit Santipiboon / Facebook

BANGKOK — Silpakorn University announced it would investigate students who recently dressed as German Nazis and Chinese Red Guards and apologized for the incident.

University Rector Chaicharn Thavaravej announced late Monday night that the university had sent an apology to the Israeli Embassy after students in Silpakorn’s Faculty of Decorative Arts dressed in Nazi costumes for activities to welcome freshmen.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/culture/net/2016/09/20/silpakorn-apologizes-shameless-irresponsible-sieg-heiling-students/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-20

I'll agree about the Nazis but you could say the same about dressing as a Roman or Greek I would think. Every empire has abused people and murdered people. And I am sure that anything Israeli bothers a hell of a lot of Arabs who've seen lives lost and land lost to Israelis. The media and movies make people keep ideas in their minds. Show more about the abuses of the Roman's and Greek's and we will ban their letters and images too. Whatever. It's all seems like hypocrisy to me.

One more note on this. Thais find it easier to use foreign figures for these types of acts. Their whole history is taboo so you won't see any of them using their own figures in comedy or expression like this. If they were to use them, they would be jailed possibly for decades or sued. Reality.

1 hour ago, Alive said:

One more note on this. Thais find it easier to use foreign figures for these types of acts. Their whole history is taboo so you won't see any of them using their own figures in comedy or expression like this. If they were to use them, they would be jailed possibly for decades or sued. Reality.

Where do they get their ideas from as teaching international history isn't a big issue here and as you pointed out Thai history is carefully sanitized. How many Thais know much, if anything about WWII as it affected / involved their own country ?

1 hour ago, Alive said:

I'll agree about the Nazis but you could say the same about dressing as a Roman or Greek I would think. Every empire has abused people and murdered people. And I am sure that anything Israeli bothers a hell of a lot of Arabs who've seen lives lost and land lost to Israelis. The media and movies make people keep ideas in their minds. Show more about the abuses of the Roman's and Greek's and we will ban their letters and images too. Whatever. It's all seems like hypocrisy to me.

On the other hand, the number of lives lost all over the world because of the arab terrorists is of course of no consequence

Please be so kind d to do some research before spouting arab lies.

3 minutes ago, hansnl said:

On the other hand, the number of lives lost all over the world because of the arab terrorists is of course of no consequence

Would you be so sensitive if he was dressed as an Arab suicide bomber?

2 hours ago, Alive said:

It would be nice to think that, as it took place in a university context, the display was "code".

While I find the students dressing up as Nazis or Red Guards extremely distasteful and ignorant, I am yet wondering if Israel's ambassador had raised much of a ruckus if they had costumed themselves as Attila the Hun, an Ottoman sultan, Emperor Hirohito, a Viking, Spanish conquistador, Emperor Nero,  Josef Stalin, a Christian crusader, a Taliban, Genghis Khan, Idi Amin, Vlad the Impaler or - to hit closer to home - Joshua (who conquered Jericho and then proceeded to slaughter every living thing in the city, man, women and animal alike because he was allegedly ordered by Yahweh to do so).

@Alive: Numbers of those who died as a result of Hitler is anywhere between 11-46 million people depending on what you areas you choose to count the numbers. It also included an attempt to wipe an entire group of people from existence. What the Greeks and Romans did thousands of years ago is no excuse to justify it. Thailand has had quite a few of these Nazi related incidents in the past decade, I'm guessing people don't realize the signifigance of the people they are supposed to be studying. 

Edited by jcsmith

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

I'm not defending anyone. There are atrocities from all sides. Israel is guilty of land grab and lots of atrocities too. Are you incapable of admitting that? I doubt it. My point is always, there is no clearly innocent party. If you think everything is black and white in history, you need to read history and wake up from the fantasy.

The real hypocrisy is the at best brain dead, at worst anti Semitic/malign moral equivalence that suggests the Nazi horrors are somehow no worse than other outrages taking place (Israel government policy is inevitably the example given).

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

29 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

While I find the students dressing up as Nazis or Red Guards extremely distasteful and ignorant, I am yet wondering if Israel's ambassador had raised much of a ruckus if they had costumed themselves as Attila the Hun, an Ottoman sultan, Emperor Hirohito, a Viking, Spanish conquistador, Emperor Nero,  Josef Stalin, a Christian crusader, a Taliban, Genghis Khan, Idi Amin, Vlad the Impaler or - to hit closer to home - Joshua (who conquered Jericho and then proceeded to slaughter every living thing in the city, man, women and animal alike because he was allegedly ordered by Yahweh to do so).

What are you on about?

What relevance would the Israeli ambassador have to Hirohito?

Back to the topic. I think it's basically a futile effort to stop Thais from thinking Nazi stuff and Hitler images are cute and fashionable. For the most part, they are not even thinking about what those symbols actually represent. So I don't take it too seriously. It's more like a thing where Thais are embarrassing themselves in the eyes of the world than being a threat to anyone else. 

Edited by Jingthing

4 hours ago, Alive said:

actually if you ever watch the Thai version of comedy central, they do use generals and police a lot - although no names are mentioned of course

2 hours ago, Alive said:

I'll be the first to say the colonists committed genocide on the natives in the Americas. And the Iraq war was built on lies. It's the flag-waving believers of the world who usually turn out to be the dangerous ones.

Hardly genocide; that was left to the citizens of the new world, post-colonisation. And the Iraq war you are referring to was, presumably, the second one? 

7 minutes ago, Mook23 said:

Thais dont know about hitler. Most have never heard of pol pot who lived in their backyard. Imagine... 

Maybe one day a disgusted jew "student" will take the pizz with that thai insitute that cannot be xxx with...

Maybe you are right, but a few days ago I was talking to some Thai students (from different schools) about Hitler. Several of them said something like this:"I read about Hitler in school. He was a great leader in Europe, but I can't remember which country."

Who on earth told them that he was a great leader?