Can you skip the drivers license tests ?

hansomman

If you have a valid motorcycle license from your home country along with an international licence can you skip the written and driving tests when going to get a drivers licence?

I saw advertised on Facebook ( Pattaya ) a service where a lady brings you to the motor vehicle department and handles all the questions and forms for you. The payment to her is 3000 baht. She told me I will not have to take any tests. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a motorcycle license in my life, so after driving a motorcycle in my village for three years my wife said go get a license.

She told me if I had an accident the insurance company would not pay any claims unless I did have a license, so off I went to

get my license. I had to get an 80 to pass. No more than 4 incorrect answers. First time 70%. Second time 75%, and third time

80%. Now, I was offered a pass for 600 baht and I said no! Then the driving test. First time fail, I went off the elevated 9" wide platform.

Again, offered a pass for 600 baht and I said no. Returned the next day and passed. It took me 5 days but no bribes and I have my

license!

1 hour ago, BKKdreaming said:

and it for 1 year or 5 ?

Your first Thai license now is a temporary 2 year license

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

The test is not hard, it's real basic stuff, if you can't pass it you shouldn't be allowed on a bike anyway.

Yep, but it's a right ballache ...I did this year as couldn't convert my paper license from UK ....10 hours and 15 minutes later and done. So if there is an option not to have the life sucked out of you for an entire day then well ....

If you have a bike licence from your home country you don't need a test, you take it along to the licence office and after you hand over 300 baht they give you a 2 year licence. You don't even need an international license.

10 minutes if there are no queues. Bische Bosche.

Please send me the 3000 baht I will be sure to put it to good use and send you photos of the empties.

8 minutes ago, AllanB said:

If you have a bike licence from your home country you don't need a test, you take it along to the licence office and after you hand over 300 baht they give you a 2 year licence. You don't even need an international license.

10 minutes if there are no queues. Bische Bosche.

Please send me the 3000 baht I will be sure to put it to good use and send you photos of the empties.

depending on where you live... you could be sooo wrong.

how long have you lived in thailand to still believe that your experiences are universally valid for the whole of this country?

there are not two government agencies in the kingdom that apply the same rules!

Agree with post #7.

The home country/IDP is converted to a Thai DL.

The only tests you have to go through are the physical tests (colorblindness, peripheral view, reaction).

In 2011 I did not even have to do that in Khon Kaen for whatever reason.

Got the Thai DL without any test at all.

But this is not the norm.

The DLT website has been completely redesigned, so I currently can not find the official rules.

On 24/09/2016 at 1:04 PM, tomwct said:

I never had a motorcycle license in my life, so after driving a motorcycle in my village for three years my wife said go get a license.

She told me if I had an accident the insurance company would not pay any claims unless I did have a license, so off I went to

get my license. I had to get an 80 to pass. No more than 4 incorrect answers. First time 70%. Second time 75%, and third time

80%. Now, I was offered a pass for 600 baht and I said no! Then the driving test. First time fail, I went off the elevated 9" wide platform.

Again, offered a pass for 600 baht and I said no. Returned the next day and passed. It took me 5 days but no bribes and I have my

license!

600 baht vs principal...lol

I learned a while back that there is a game here to be played, after being booked for speeding (400 baht), which I wasn't (speeding), because I had the cruise control on 70 in an 80, that there was no reason for me to allow myself to be so upset because some punk ass cop decides differently, after advising him of the cruise control being on 70, he then said, ok, but you in the wrong lane, pay the fine in the tent which I did.

So I said to myself, I have been fleeced 400 baht, the principal thing is the hard part to let go of, the cash, easy.....was heading to Udon Thani to buy a TV, so I screwed the guy on price by 400 baht, what goes around, comes around :)

Edited by 4MyEgo

Been here 17 years, failed test 5 times, gave up!

Drive all over thailand, outwith the main s***holes & police are generally cool when they pull you over, bit of banter and off you pop, normally no fine, license or not.

Accidents and insurance i understand that i roll the dice...

When I obtained my car and M/C licences in Udon Thani, 18 months ago I used my UK licence. All I needed to pass was the 'brake reaction' test and the 'traffic light colour' test. When I renewed earlier this year, I didn't even have to do that.

On 9/26/2016 at 7:23 AM, bramds said:

You only need your original license from your home country and a Thai translation, stamped by your local authorities (from your home country).

They don't accept English licenses anymore.

That is the wrong information a full valid UK photo-card type DL will get you a 2 year temporary Thai DL when you pass the 'brake reaction' test and  'traffic light colour' test.

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That is the wrong information a full valid UK photo-card type DL will get you a 2 year temporary Thai DL when you pass the 'brake reaction' test and  'traffic light colour' test.

How old is your information?

Mine is a week old.

42 minutes ago, bramds said:

Mine is a week old.

It's still wrong.

Under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, to which Thailand is a party, all licences written in English are accepted.

Where a Home Country licence is not in English it must be accompanied by an IDP (because it has an English Translation) or a translation into Thai.

With one of the above you can obtain a temporary 2 year Thai licence to drive any class of vehicle that your foreign licence allowed.

Thereafter Thai licences are issued for 5 year periods.

Only the very minimum tests are required, depth perception, colour blindness, peripheral vision and reaction time, to obtain your Thai licence.

Flaming post Removed. This a Forum - discussion is encouraged. To just post something is not true - when not accompanied by an explanation as to why it is not true, defeats the whole purpose of an active discussion. These posts will be Removed.

4 hours ago, bramds said:

Mine is a week old.

Don't care how your info is if it is your nearest DLT you can go to another.

Or report them to :-
DLT Head Office

1032 Phaholyothin Road 
Lardyao, Chatuchak district.
tel: 02-272-5322, 02-272-5493.

guys, you need to get over this: i am right, you are right. no one other than the thai officer you deal with is right. s/he says: jump through this hoop - and that is what you do. start an argument and you will loose.

i have posted this many times here on TV before: there are NO universal rules in thailand. you can go to the same place 5 times in a row, deal with 5 different people and receive 5 different answers. and they are all RIGHT!!!

once you absorbed this, life here in the kingdom gets so much easier, guaranteed. :smile:

On 24.09.2016 at 9:21 AM, hansomman said:

If you have a valid motorcycle license from your home country

You no need test.

only as say another some " tests you have to go through are the physical tests (colorblindness, peripheral view, reaction)."

And if your DL not in English must be certified translate.

It can be from your consulate

On 9/24/2016 at 10:04 AM, tomwct said:

license!

I'd have paid the cash.

9 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

What about immigration?

Chaen Wattana (Bangkok central office) has clear signs showing acceptable attire.

Maybe I can find the picture...

From time to time you find reports of people being refused.

Mostly those in singlets/tank tops/muscle shirts/wife beater (whatever you call them).

There is no exact rule to find, but long trouser and a decent shirt with (short) sleeves or a polo is highly recommended. Being sober and not stinking against the wind  is of advantage too :whistling:

The thread about Thailand immigration office dress code is very long and closed for further posts:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861471-bangkok-immigration-announces-new-dress-code/?page=1

Of course not every "violation" is penalized with refusal.

The "complete picture" is looked at.

The photo in the TV thread is blurry, so I took another from the net, cropped and blown up:

(the "Shirt top" is obviously a type: "Short top" and sandals standing for flip flops)

dresscode.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 9/24/2016 at 9:29 AM, chiang mai said:

3,000 baht, Jesus wept!

The test is not hard, it's real basic stuff, if you can't pass it you shouldn't be allowed on a bike anyway.

the practical test is not so hard if you speak thai. the written test is a bit ambiguous but i managed to pas it twice somehow first try. need to do it once for car and once for bike. if you have an international licence then you should be able to  get away without doing the tests.