Bank Refuses To Provide Copy of Signed Agreements

Went to Kasikorn today to get a new debt card with a chip, replacing my existing magnetic stripe card. Although their website says it is 100b for a replacement card I was charged 168 baht. Has anyone else replaced their existing card with a new chip card and what were the charges?

Next, I had to sign an agreement to cancel my existing debt card and to activate the new card. However, the branch Manager refused to allow a photocopy of the agreements, saying it was bank policy. I pressed her more, and she said "you can close your account if you don't like it". Is this truly Kasikorn policy? Has anyone else experienced refusal of getting a copy of the agreements?

It doesn't seem fair that one has to sign an agreement but can't get a copy of it. In countries like Canada, an agreement will only be upheld in court if all parties receive a duly signed copy of the agreement.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:53 PM, tonray said:

Thai bank, their rules...and OMG ! 68 baht extra ? Man they are driving you to poverty !

Doubt if the money is the point.  They are not telling him why the extra charge and treating him like a sheep.  Should take the advice and find another bank.

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...maybe something to do with 'liability'.....hmmm......???

I think you are on the right track. The banks are extremely reluctant to let any document (or copy thereof) leave the bank that has a bank employees signature on it. I also believe it has something to do with minimizing the risk for liabilities.

In a similar case they needed the approval of the branch manager and I could pick up the document the next day.

In a certain yellow bank they tried to charge me 400 b for a replacement ATM card.I had previously spoken to the call centre,where the guy had told me 100 b.I asked the girl to repeat the price,asking her 4 times and asking again if she was sure.I then told her that the Call centre man had told me 100b.Suddenly,the day manager appeared and asked the embarrassed counter girl,what the problem was.He listened,and turned to me and said,quite simply."she make mistake".I asked how she  had managed to make the mistake 4 times.But he was walking away.Discussion over.

Even the banking system here is bent.Under normal circumstances,in a normal world,that young lady would have received her p45 and a warning about trying to gain money by defrauding customers.

But this aint a normal world is it ?

I had an account with the Bangkok Bank in Bangkok but was able to use the local branch near my new home to carry out all normal transactions.  However, when my Pass Book was full and I needed a new one, I was told that I had to drive the 700 km to and from Bangkok to collect one.  I just closed the account by withdrawing all the funds by ATM.  I get the feeling that the customer does not always come first.

29 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I had an account with the Bangkok Bank in Bangkok but was able to use the local branch near my new home to carry out all normal transactions.  However, when my Pass Book was full and I needed a new one, I was told that I had to drive the 700 km to and from Bangkok to collect one.  I just closed the account by withdrawing all the funds by ATM.  I get the feeling that the customer does not always come first.

I had to renew my Pass Book in Bangkok and they tried that with me. It was too late that day for me to get to my 'proper' bank and it would have taken time and inconvenience to do it the next day so I argued the toss about such a ridiculous and pointless rule. I asked to see a manager and, lo and behold, he decided they could do it after all. They just make up their own rules and are deliberately awkward, because they enjoy the power they have you. Brightens their miserable little lives.

2 hours ago, Grubster said:

I used this banks ATM once to get money from my US bank and not only did they charge me [ 150 baht at the time ] but they slashed me on the exchange rate. I will never cast my shadow on another of their facilities.

Well, I'm sure you mean you will stop using your U.S. bank because it's the card-issuing bank (i.e., U.S. bank) that determines if there is foreign transaction fee (usually 3%) on the transaction effectively lowering your exchange rate and the U.S. bank also determines whether it reimburses any ATM use charge like the Bt150 charged by the Thai bank ATM.  

Now if you had had say  for example the Schwab debt card you would have not been charged any foreign transaction fee, received the full Visa exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang of the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers (about the best exchange rate the common man can get), and you would have been reimbursed the Bt150 ATM fee.  

Don't totally blame the Thai bank for the crappy deal you got (although I will admit their current ATM Use Fee of Bt200 is high); place the bulk of the blame on your U.S. bank.   Even if the Thai bank did not charge any ATM Use Fee you would have still been dealing with your card-issuing bank's foreign transaction fee and my gut tells me  you probably have a debit card that charges around a 3% foreign transaction fee.

Edit: just come to mine, maybe the Thai ATM offered you a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaciton and "you" accepted the DCC versus declining to continue on with the transaction to get Visa/Mastercard's exchange rate.   A local bank ATM DCC exchange  rate is usually 3 to 4% lower than the Visa/Mastercard rate and if you card-issuing bank also charges a foreign transaction fee of say 3% you could get hit with that also.   So you could end up getting hit with a 6 to 7% charge which effectively lowers your exchange rate.  You could have declined the DCC so that mistake is on you...and once again your home country bank probably applied their foreign transaction fee.  

Edited by Pib

It doesn't seem fair that one has to sign an agreement but can't get a copy of it. In countries like Canada, an agreement will only be upheld in court if all parties receive a duly signed copy of the agreement.

So if you don't want to be held to a contract in Canada you throw away your copy and claim you were never given one? I doubt it.

Some people seem to spend all their time looking for reasons to complain and worry. 

I got a new card with chip at Bangkok Bank. No charge. I probably signed something. Don't remember. Don't care. If you want to do things the Canadian way, there's an easy solution.

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, I'm sure you mean you will stop using your U.S. bank because it's the card-issuing bank (i.e., U.S. bank) that determines if there is foreign transaction fee (usually 3%) on the transaction effectively lowering your exchange rate and the U.S. bank also determines whether it reimburses any ATM use charge like the Bt150 charged by the Thai bank ATM.  

Now if you had had say  for example the Schwab debt card you would have not been charged any foreign transaction fee, received the full Visa exchange rate which is plus or minus a few stang of the Thai bank TT Buying Rate used for incoming wire transfers (about the best exchange rate the common man can get), and you would have been reimbursed the Bt150 ATM fee.  

Don't totally blame the Thai bank for the crappy deal you got (although I will admit their current ATM Use Fee of Bt200 is high); place the bulk of the blame on your U.S. bank.   Even if the Thai bank did not charge any ATM Use Fee you would have still been dealing with your card-issuing bank's foreign transaction fee and my gut tells me  you probably have a debit card that charges around a 3% foreign transaction fee.

Edit: just come to mine, maybe the Thai ATM offered you a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) transaciton and "you" accepted the DCC versus declining to continue on with the transaction to get Visa/Mastercard's exchange rate.   A local bank ATM DCC exchange  rate is usually 3 to 4% lower than the Visa/Mastercard rate and if you card-issuing bank also charges a foreign transaction fee of say 3% you could get hit with that also.   So you could end up getting hit with a 6 to 7% charge which effectively lowers your exchange rate.  You could have declined the DCC so that mistake is on you...and once again your home country bank probably applied their foreign transaction fee.  

Yes you are probably right, its been a couple years and I think I may have inadvertently pushed the yes button for DCC, and then they gouged  me. My bank a small local bank in the US takes nearly nothing in exchange rate and charges one dollar per transaction so I am happy with that. Thanks for your input.

Was in TMB today concerning a "Toe Toe Sam"...when she seen my ATM card she asked if I would like a new one,  OK... I said....no charge she said.

PS ...No charge for the TTS either, because she said I have my A/C at her branch and she likes to look after her customers. 

PPS... The charge would have been a lot more than the usual for a piece of paper, It was not a usual request I was making ...(need say no more).

Edited by dotpoom

5 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Well, they still have some very weird archaic rules. For example, if you deposit a check drawn on another bank they won't enter the amount in your passbook until after the check clears. If you deposit a check drawn on another branch of the same bank, they won't enter the amount in your passbook until the following day. All the banks currently operating were started about the time of World War II as means of sending money to China, so they started with the same rules as Chinese gold shops/pawn shops, and still follow some of them. If I deposit a check from America at my branch here in Nakhon Sawan, there is only one employee who knows how to do it, and she spent the better part of a day calling around to find out what the procedures are the first time I did it. Luckily my credit union back in the states has an app that allows me to use my phone to take a picture of the check and then deposit it to my checking account.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, gk10002000 said:

Sign the paper and quickly walk outside and into the nearest copy shop and make a copy and then return.  They may not allow copies, but their rules don't apply to what you can do.       I doubt they will physically stop you.  If they get mad, well, so be it.

On a similar note years ago here in the USA my friend and I were at a bank, I literally forget why but they needed to run our credit reports.  I think he was buying the townhome and I would be a tenant so they had to run both our reports.  The lady looked at her computer screen printed something out and then sat down and said there was some item that was a problem.  I said what item?  I am a DOD contractor, have  security clearance and to my knowledge there was nothing amiss.  She said she couldn't show me.  No problem.  I grabbed the printout and looked at it.  You would have thought I just threatened to bulk murder everybody in the building the way she started screaming!  My buddy, an old time Veteran who has been under combat, was a millionaire and has known me for years, just started laughing.  I just ignored her hysteria, finished looking over the printout, gave it back to her and we both said thank you for your time.  I looked into the report issue and it turns out they had just mixed me up with a cousin with the same last name, 7 states away and 15 years different in age!  There was nothing on the credit report itself.

The point being again, that while their policy may prevent them from showing it to you, there is nothing binding that prevents you from looking at it.   

It's simple enough to do your real banking in Singapore and only hold the bare minimum account in Thailand. They don't deserve to benefit from your investments and deposits. Leaves you with the recommended "nothing you can't instantly walk away from".

On 9/29/2016 at 9:20 PM, Acharn said:

Well, they still have some very weird archaic rules. For example, if you deposit a check drawn on another bank they won't enter the amount in your passbook until after the check clears. If you deposit a check drawn on another branch of the same bank, they won't enter the amount in your passbook until the following day. 

Common practice in some other countries in the region as well

On 9/30/2016 at 7:26 AM, DrTuner said:

It's simple enough to do your real banking in Singapore and only hold the bare minimum account in Thailand. They don't deserve to benefit from your investments and deposits. Leaves you with the recommended "nothing you can't instantly walk away from".

This one makes no sense to me at all.  Why Singapore instead of your home country which probably has more consumer protections?  Do you believe your money in Singapore is somehoe "closer" to you than in Canada or the US?

5 hours ago, CaptHaddock said:

This one makes no sense to me at all.  Why Singapore instead of your home country which probably has more consumer protections?  Do you believe your money in Singapore is somehoe "closer" to you than in Canada or the US?

Banking in Singapore is superior to my "home country" Finland, where I haven't lived for a decade and light years ahead of US/UK. Somebody mentioned checks? I heard about those in the 70's, ancient stuff. Do they write them on papyrus or what? I've had all my business digital since the late 90's.

On 9/29/2016 at 2:09 PM, Suradit69 said:

So if you don't want to be held to a contract in Canada you throw away your copy and claim you were never given one? I doubt it.

Some people seem to spend all their time looking for reasons to complain and worry. 

I got a new card with chip at Bangkok Bank. No charge. I probably signed something. Don't remember. Don't care. If you want to do things the Canadian way, there's an easy solution.

In most cases, the agreement says that both parties acknowledge receiving a copy of the agreement. So your theory of throwing it away is not realistic.