May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

12 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well enjoy wherever you are going. I am surprised you want to go back to the UK with the majority being lesser people for voting to leave. What is it you call them Numptys? Quite rude really And people get upset at being called Snowflake.

The EU (European Union) is not Europe just yet. Just look at the map.

I haven't been to the South of France for a long, long time. Really quite lovely but horribly expensive I thought back in the distant past.

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I should have said last 5 years not 'historic'. My error. Re risk, this is indeed so. Plus, the USD has some risks as well. It is not an easy decision for an expat what to do so the default for most is probably stand pat. My own opinion re GBPUSD is that unlike GBPEUR the rate looks high enough to buy into so there is a window of opportunity.

My God, we are almost in agreement! For expats here with limited funds or pensions it's not too good right now but remember that it has been worse before! While major currencies are all having problems, the Baht is appreciating and may well continue to do so, at least near-term. So it looks like Archa should be the beer of choice for the time being. Cheers!

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I think this article has a  lot of truth. Certainly some Posters here seem to be the stereo typical.

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/849129/brexit-european-union-remain-Britain-fail-Tim-Newark

More of The Daily Excess Traitor Tosh, the paper that led the charge against all the other 'traitors'..... and failed.

6 hours ago, Naam said:

"das perfide Albion" is also used in German.

The French used to refer to the British as "Ros Biffs" as the army and Navy used to live off roast beef. We described the French as "Froggies" as they used to eat frogs legs and we also described the Germans as sausage munchers and square heads.

13 hours ago, SheungWan said:

More of The Daily Excess Traitor Tosh, the paper that led the charge against all the other 'traitors'..... and failed.

So are you claiming Farage didn't say them things? It probably wasn't reported in the Guardian because we all know its a left wing pro EU paper. As for a traitor that is hilarious coming from you Snowy.

14 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Sunday Times reporting that Theresa May will agree to a final Brexit bill with the EU of 50 million GBP.

I think you mean 50 billion.

Back in the early part of the year I saw an interview with an EU financial spokesman and at that time they had only been looking at the debt side of the books and we were hearing figures of 100 billion. He said that when the reimbursements were taken into account it would be a lot less. When pushed he estimated the final figure would lie somewhere between 25 and 40 billion.

There has never been any mention of reimbursements, something TM wants to keep quiet so they look good in the negotiations.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Back in the early part of the year I saw an interview with an EU financial spokesman and at that time they had only been looking at the debt side of the books and we were hearing figures of 100 billion. He said that when the reimbursements were taken into account it would be a lot less. When pushed he estimated the final figure would lie somewhere between 25 and 40 billion.

There has never been any mention of reimbursements, something TM wants to keep quiet so they look good in the negotiations.

40 Billion.

5 years net contributions.

A much shorter financial commitment than my divorces...

Well written and spot on article in my opinion in the Times today. The whole article is good IMHO but the two paragraphs below say it all.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/europe-s-imperial-ambitions-led-to-brexit-x8pl56zrl

It’s true that leading Brexiteers envisioned a resumption of pre-EU trading relations with the English-speaking world. But the reasons that campaigners give are one thing, the reasons people have for supporting them quite another. There’s no evidence that Leavers were moved by a desire to wind back the clock. There’s plenty of evidence that they were mainly moved by contemporary worries about the scale of immigration and irritation
at European judicial interference.

A century later, European integrationists worry about Europe’s declining global power. So they’re in a hurry to forge the nation-states of the EU into a pan-European bloc. Hence the imprudence of launching the euro in advance of the political will to create the central institutions necessary for its proper functioning, and then expanding the eurozone to include national economies with shaky public finances. The predicted result has been a financial crisis and a deflationary remedy imposed by the northern centre on the southern periphery, which has served to stoke nationalist resentment.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

The books! Right.

15 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well written and spot on article in my opinion in the Times today. The whole article is good IMHO but the two paragraphs below say it all.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/europe-s-imperial-ambitions-led-to-brexit-x8pl56zrl

It’s true that leading Brexiteers envisioned a resumption of pre-EU trading relations with the English-speaking world. But the reasons that campaigners give are one thing, the reasons people have for supporting them quite another. There’s no evidence that Leavers were moved by a desire to wind back the clock. There’s plenty of evidence that they were mainly moved by contemporary worries about the scale of immigration and irritation
at European judicial interference.

A century later, European integrationists worry about Europe’s declining global power. So they’re in a hurry to forge the nation-states of the EU into a pan-European bloc. Hence the imprudence of launching the euro in advance of the political will to create the central institutions necessary for its proper functioning, and then expanding the eurozone to include national economies with shaky public finances. The predicted result has been a financial crisis and a deflationary remedy imposed by the northern centre on the southern periphery, which has served to stoke nationalist resentment.

Written by a professor of moral and pastoral theology. Probably accounts for the shallow derivative junk presented. Says it all indeed.

On 03/09/2017 at 0:16 PM, SheungWan said:

I haven't been to the South of France for a long, long time. Really quite lovely but horribly expensive I thought back in the distant past.

Touring the high Pyrenees right now. Fabulous!

Not cheap but culturally deeply satisfying. 

The Alfa is perfect for this kind of thing!

I am only going back via London. I'm not going to travel in England. 

47 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

David Davis ex-chief of staff and ex-political editor of Daily Mail James Chapman calls Brexit a catastrophe, says David Davis is inept and workshy and says Boris Johnson should be jailed over Brexit claims. :omfg:

James Chapman, who is a hardcore campaigner for remain, made his daft outburst nearly a month ago and it was discussed on here at the time. Did you miss it?

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

Touring the high Pyrenees right now. Fabulous!

Not cheap but culturally deeply satisfying. 

The Alfa is perfect for this kind of thing!

I am only going back via London. I'm not going to travel in England. 

while popping around in that area, you are not too far away from Madrid,

if you end up in the vicinity of Madrid

I highly rec. to visit the grave of General Franco

roughly a short hours drive NW of Madrid (also a nice area to visit)

that grave and its surroundings is educational and help put things in perspectiv

(in your case I assume it will strengthen your faith in EU, but I guess you can stand that)

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

David Davis ex-chief of staff and ex-political editor of Daily Mail James Chapman calls Brexit a catastrophe, says David Davis is inept and workshy and says Boris Johnson should be jailed over Brexit claims. :omfg:

dunno about the ineptness

but is does look like that D Davis and the French EU chap are not too good a match personality wise,

May needs to think

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21727930-devaluing-your-way-prosperity-not-easy-sterlings-depreciation-has-not-led-export-boom

Worrying :sad:

Why are UK exports not surging off the back of a 15% depreciation?

This is far more important than mucking about with brexit

Lies, damned lies and statistics....

But I agree with your general point re. the destruction of British industry.

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Shocker  - FT is against brexit and forecasts a "stable path of relative decline'" :shock1::laugh:!

Shame really how crass some Brexiteers are in responding to anything critical. Anyway, we must soldier on. Also in today's FT:  'Brussels has no clear vision for Brexit, says City Envoy' .                                                                                                  

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21727930-devaluing-your-way-prosperity-not-easy-sterlings-depreciation-has-not-led-export-boom

Worrying :sad:

Why are UK exports not surging off the back of a 15% depreciation?

This is far more important than mucking about with brexit

As important as the crisis at Arsenal?

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

Shame really how crass some Brexiteers are in responding to anything critical. Anyway, we must soldier on. Also in today's FT:  'Brussels has no clear vision for Brexit, says City Envoy' .                                                                                                  

I seldom reply to your posts as you're so OTT remain - but after all this time you still haven't realised that I refrained from voting in the referendum and am pretty much 'on the fence' :shock1:.

Although to be fair, I'm becoming ever more inclined to the 'leavers cause' as a couple of 'remainers' on this forum and EU politicians display their arrogance.... 

Archived