Nobel no-show: Dylan not coming to Stockholm to get prize

webfact

10 hours ago, hdkane said:

Agreed...the Nobel Prize became something akin to an MTV award when they awarded Obama a peace prize for his potential, and Al Gore a peace prize for his shoddy and hypocritical work on global warming...since then Obama escalated the war(s) and Gore has made millions off his companies, all the while proclaiming a worldwide emergency...

Agree that not all winners of the Nobel Prize may fit into the deserving category, but I don't think it is in line with the MTV Awards either. Albert Einstein won a Nobel Prize but didn't qualify for a MTV Award as he can't sing worth a hoot. 

I always felt it was strange that they give out a Nobel Prize for Peace, when the founding father, Alfred Nobel, was the inventor of "Dynamite".

Agree that not all winners of the Nobel Prize may fit into the deserving category, but I don't think it is in line with the MTV Awards either. Albert Einstein won a Nobel Prize but didn't qualify for a MTV Award as he can't sing worth a hoot. 

I always felt it was strange that they give out a Nobel Prize for Peace, when the founding father, Alfred Nobel, was the inventor of "Dynamite".

That's true...And the father of Atomic Bomb, Einstein

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

That's true...And the father of Atomic Bomb, Einstein

not strange at all. alfred nobel. dynamites inventor had remorse for the negative things dynamite was used for therefore the foundation was created.  einstein won the prize for his intellect. einsteins personal philosophy also sided on peace and harmony and nuclear has many valuable peacetime uses.

not strange at all. alfred nobel. dynamites inventor had remorse for the negative things dynamite was used for therefore the foundation was created.  einstein won the prize for his intellect. einsteins personal philosophy also sided on peace and harmony and nuclear has many valuable peacetime uses.

... By the moment.....let's see!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

After awarding Obama a Peace Prize based on the expectation that he would help bring peace to the world (he brought more war than Bush), perhaps Dylan reflected on the irrelevance of what a Nobel prize now stands for.

After awarding Obama a Peace Prize based on the expectation that he would help bring peace to the world (he brought more war than Bush), perhaps Dylan reflected on the irrelevance of what a Nobel prize now stands for.

Agree with you...but he accept the award and take the million euros.

• 4 weeks later...

Bob Dylan graciously accepts the prize with a speech.

Patti Smith sings Dylan song but messes it up. Oh well.

http://forward.com/culture/356671/read-bob-dylans-witty-nobel-speech/?attribution=home-hero-item-text-1

But there’s one thing I must say. As a performer I’ve played for 50,000 people and I’ve played for 50 people and I can tell you that it is harder to play for 50 people. 50,000 people have a singular persona, not so with 50. Each person has an individual, separate identity, a world unto themselves. They can perceive things more clearly. Your honesty and how it relates to the depth of your talent is tried. The fact that the Nobel committee is so small is not lost on me.

But, like Shakespeare, I too am often occupied with the pursuit of my creative endeavors and dealing with all aspects of life’s mundane matters. “Who are the best musicians for these songs?” “Am I recording in the right studio?” “Is this song in the right key?” Some things never change, even in 400 years.

Not once have I ever had the time to ask myself, “Are my songs literature?”

So, I do thank the Swedish Academy, both for taking the time to consider that very question, and, ultimately, for providing such a wonderful answer.

My best wishes to you all,

Bob Dylan

Edited by Jingthing

On 17/11/2016 at 0:53 AM, Ulysses G. said:

I have to admit that I think it a little weird that he is not going to pick it up personally. It really is an honor.

Bob is making a point that no one asked him if he would like to be considered...

As a winner he is expected to give a lecture within six months, he never put his name forward for this award so why should he if he does not want to?

Edited by Basil B

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The audience was very polite.

In my experience Swedish people are very civilized except when drunk and then all hell can break loose.

I wish Patty had cut her hair. Long hair hanging loose on seniors only makes them look worse.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2016 at 7:53 PM, daveAustin said:

Perhaps he's afraid of being beaten up by gangs of muslims. :passifier:

"Well, they'll stone you when you're trying to be so good
They'll stone you just like they said they would
They'll stone you when you're trying to go home
And they'll stone you when you're there all alone
But I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must stay home.