Govt approves 10 year visas for foreigners over 50 

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Based on lots of your assumptions about a half baked visa change. You don't have the authority to assert certainty about this.

A pointless comment without backing it up.

All that is coming is a new 10 year visa.

Stop promoting/fueling fear.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

If this ends up meaning no new people at the current levels starting with O and O-A then yes please grandfathering for those on current extensions.

Extensions of stay are available to Non-immigrant visa holders regardless of whether they are category 'O' or 'O-A'. That will continue, and no changes have been proposed to extension criteria, therefore, the need for 'grandfathering doesnt apply.

One of the advantages of the new 10 year visas is to avoid the need to apply for an extension of stay!!!

Oh no you do realise your are now going on to his ignore list! Nobody disrespects JT and gets away with it

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Angels won't save us. The details are in the bit about that only 14 nations will be allowed. I guess the rest of the world's pensioners will be hunted down, their condos stolen, wives raped and rounded up in trucks and shot in the woods.
Hang on a minute didn't something similar actually happen in Europe many years ago?

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

How do you know angels won't save us? Do you have a hotline to God?

I'm doing no such thing. You're pushing an absurd agenda of absolute certainty about a policy that hasn't even been put into effect yet. You have no credibility to do that.

-As the British would say - Keep a Stiff Upper Lip
-As the Americans would say- The only thing to fear is fear itself
-As the Thais would say- Up To You
As I would say- well I can't say- it's a family forum.

Folks- Hang in There.

British - Keep your chin up
Americans - Don't be such a downer
Thais - Su Su "Keep fighting"
Me - Keep your pecker up

I just read this today and made an account so I can comment on this. I am so angry with this government. Yeh lets legalize methamphetamine great idea.

I will have to leave Thailand if these changes are made because I am not super rich like the Thai's seem to think we are. Well we all are aren't we?

What I suggest is that all countries like the United Kingdom deport all Thai nationals. These people arrive in the UK and in 12 months are allowed British citizenship, free healthcare, free education, free housing and they get a British passport. I think we should repatriate Thai's as Thailand does not reciprocate the same treatment. I am going to do very best to bring this matter to the British government. Thailand is cutting its own throat as usual with these old xenophobic government officials who come up with these ideas. I hope Thailand is brought to it's knees as it has already lost the Chinese tourists who got sick of being abused and ripped off. 

Edited by Bureaucrat

Well, we are at 73 pages and we still don't know whether this is an additional visa option or a replacement for the one year retiree visa.

So cool it guys.

That's why there is a thread about it, because we don't know!
Cool what? No foreigner is to blame it's a decision made by the Thai government.

On 11/23/2016 at 7:34 PM, elviajero said:

All they have done is announced a new visa.

They have not announced any changes to the 1 year extension of stay that many expats get from immigration that is often, wrongly, called a 1 year retirement visa.

So as it stands you should be assured that no change to extensions of stay based on retirement (over 50) have been, proposed or announced.

What's the latest from on high?   Are we to assume, as elviajero has, that the current 1 year type-O visa will continue?

What's the latest from on high?   Are we to assume, as elviajero has, that the current 1 year type-O visa will continue?

No one knows? Nothing in the media either. I've checked English and Thai sites. All there is, is more people commenting on this issue.

Looks like this will run into next week until either 2 things happen:-
1- December 1st new visa is introduced, or
2- Official statement from the government explaining in detail the proposed visa.

This will happen next week.

3 minutes ago, Bureaucrat said:

I just read this today and made an account so I can comment on this. I am so angry with this government. Yeh lets legalize methamphetamine great idea.

I will have to leave Thailand if these changes are made because I am not super rich like the Thai's seem to think we are. Well we all are aren't we?

What I suggest is that all countries like the United Kingdom deport all Thai nationals. These people arrive in the UK and in 12 months are allowed British citizenship, free healthcare, free education, free housing and they get a British passport. I think we should repatriate Thai's as Thailand does not reciprocate the same treatment. I am going to do very best to bring this matter to the British government. Thailand is cutting its own throat as usual with these old xenophobic government officials who come up with these ideas. I hope Thailand is brought to it's knees as it has already lost the Chinese tourists who got sick of being abused and ripped off. 

Welcome to Thai Visa.   I too am not rich, but I've resided in northernmost Thailand for nearly 20 yrs.  I'm endeavoring to sell things, including some property, in order to not be so tied down.  I want to feel free to travel and hike natural places.   Thailand has a lot of good aspects, not least; small children can frolic about without fear of danger.  But there's still a lot of noise, and downtown is getting more citified as the moons roll by.

This isn't even really about one year O visas. It's about a new visa that may or may not replace O-A visas. Following on that people are wondering about any potential impact on retirement extensions for people currently in the system and also if the new thing replaces O-A will new people still be able to start with 90 day O visas and then extensions at the current levels. Definitive answers not available. Too early.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This isn't even really about one year O visas. It's about a new visa that may or may not replace O-A visas. Following on that people are wondering about any potential impact on retirement extensions for people currently in the system and also if the new thing replaces O-A will new people still be able to start with 90 day O visas and then extensions at the current levels. Definitive answers not available. Too early.

The only information we know for sure is the announcement of a new 5/10 year Visa.

There are no announcements that any other type of Visa and certainly not extensions of stay will change.

It's only pessimists like yourself that are fuelling uncertainty.

Welcome to Thai Visa.   I too am not rich, but I've resided in northernmost Thailand for nearly 20 yrs.  I'm endeavoring to sell things, including some property, in order to not be so tied down.  I want to feel free to travel and hike natural places.   Thailand has a lot of good aspects, not least; small children can frolic about without fear of danger.  But there's still a lot of noise, and downtown is getting more citified as the moons roll by.

Oh, come on it can't be that bad. There's other visas you could try. Don't give up!

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Based on lots of your assumptions about a half baked visa change. You don't have the authority to assert certainty about this.

In fairness, is he any worse off speculating than the actual seat-warmers who hatched this cunning plan?

'THAILAND.GOV' the long-running sitcom, is the best un-reality show out there bar none! They make 'Yes Minister' look like a Punch & Judy stall.

The only information we know for sure is the announcement of a new 5/10 year Visa.

There are no announcements that any other type of Visa and certainly not extensions of stay will change.

JT all on his own? Type into google "visa Thailand" use advanced search, search for past week. Is all that because of JT?

14 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Absolute nonsense!

Agreed, one of the zanier ideas out there, and it's EVERYWHERE! From France to the Mid West to Australia.

Guys who seriously believe anyone and his hijab wearing bint can lob off a plane and get handed out a 'free life' as if it was a toy from a freaking Kinder Surprise Egg.

Dumb as they come, and they come in their MILLIONS apparently.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

How do you know angels won't save us? Do you have a hotline to God?

I do, he said " 'Wilsonandson' are fake, I'm the only one true 'Godandson', PS: sorry were late with the second coming, but you guys are just too entertaining to interrupt. Keep up the senseless bickering!"

Agreed, one of the zanier ideas out there, and it's EVERYWHERE! From France to the Mid West to Australia.
Guys who seriously believe anyone and his hijab wearing bint can lob off a plane and get handed out a 'free life' as if it was a toy from a freaking Kinder Surprise Egg.
Dumb as they come, and they come in their MILLIONS apparently.

And they all voted for the Brexit.

I'm a realist that doesn't try to force falsehoods of certainty that don't exist in reality.

2 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

And they all voted for the Brexit.

And if I hear another whine about the drop in the earning power of the pound!

It is still nowhere near the non-value of the Aussie 'Peso' and never will be.

Disclosure: I hold citizenship to both.

9 hours ago, JB300 said:

The new regs seem to imply that you can only spend 50% of the 3Million, I'm wondering if this 1.5Million is for "End of Term care" as it is with the SRRV in the Philippines.

I am more than sceptical this more than adequate sum would be put to appropriate use, were it to be explicitly earmarked for palliative care.

We won't exactly be in a position to check!

And what if you just drop dead? Will your bereaved other get it? Unlikely!

It's a rushed-out dogs breakfast of an idea, seem to be a rash of them lately, mainly relating to local issues, but no less hideously malformed at birth.

Edited by dhream

5 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Welcome to the Hospital California, you'll be admitted any time you like, but you can never leave.