Italian tourist injured in speedboat, longtail collision off Phi Phi Island

snoop1130

Italian tourist injured in speedboat, longtail collision off Phi Phi Island

Eakkapop Thongtub

1480073396_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- An Italian tourist was injured when a tour speedboat carrying 27 passengers collided with – and sank – a longtail boat at Maya Bay, off Phi Phi Island, this afternoon (Nov 25).

The injured tourist, named by police as Lucia Quintela, suffered scrapes on his body and had been taken to Phi Phi Island Hospital by another speedboat by the time police arrived, said Lt Col Anurak Pharinyasathiragul of the Krabi Marine Police.

“We were told only one man was injured in the accident,” Col Anurak said. “When we arrived, a longtail boat with Nakarin Tour on the side was sinking in the bay while the speedboat Ammitesh 99 was stopped nearby.

“The 27 passengers on the speedboat were unharmed in the collision,” Col Anurak said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-tourist-injured-in-speedboat-longtail-collision-off-phi-phi-island-60020.php#0PvqDc2tcPFjej7h.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-11-25

And, in a small, crowded, enclosed bay, a speedboat driver managed to get up enough speed to destroy and sink a longtail.

"Longtail boat captain Vichan Samnuk, 33, told police, “While we were coming into Maya Bay, a speedboat travelling fast tried to cut across in front of me but crashed into us, causing my boat to sink"

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

How could that happen?  Hardly any boats there. :cheesy:  What a zoo....

http://image.shutterstock.com/z/stock-photo-maya-bay-thailand-march-a-lot-of-people-in-mahya-bay-public-holidays-in-thailand-258760259.jpg

Boat city. 100,000,000 tourists by 2030 3 times the present inflow. I am glad that my life ticket will have been punched by then. The new zoo I guess complete with animals and all fighting clawing at each other for a space to set their rump down. They will then hopefully go home to relax. One will have to take a survivalist course to go on holidays. 

Edited by elgordo38

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Boat city. 100,000,000 tourists by 2030 3 times the present inflow. I am glad that my life ticket will have been punched by then. The new zoo I guess complete with animals and all fighting clawing at each other for a space to set their rump down. They will then hopefully go home to relax. One will have to take a survivalist course to go on holidays. 

But the Chinese are conditioned to densely populated public areas. They exect this ....

I took a long tail out there last year and couldn't wait to get away from that miserable mess. I have zero desire to visit any island or beach that doesn't  have vendors, umbrella's, toilets, etc.

I have a lake by me where they rent bamboo rafts with grass roofs that comfortably hold eight people,  they tow you out to where you want to be in mostly shallow wadable water, you can bring what you like or they will cater food and drink out to you. swim or just sit on the edge with legs in the water, in the shade while cooking on the barbie.   They have nice toilets and garbage cans there too, and all is very cheap.      Just brilliant      These meat heads that run the big resort beaches could learn a lot up here in Issann 

3 hours ago, bokningar said:

Must be one of those 100 % virgin beaches we heard of. :cheesy:

I mean it is a National park or what do we pay the fe for???  :crazy:

Precisely. 400 baht to spend 15 minutes on a beach where you can hardly see the sand for the sheer numbers of tourists. No sunbeds though!

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Probably an old photo. Everyone has to pay 600 baht now to go on land, looks not very busy every time I'm there.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Really?? Is there some corruption money on top of the normal 400 THB then?

If so time for some from Phuket News to do some real journalistic work and let every one now about this and let the shit :hit-the-fan:

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:
35 minutes ago, bokningar said:
Really?? Is there some corruption money on top of the normal 400 THB then?
If so time for some from Phuket News to do some real journalistic work and let every one now about this and let the shit :hit-the-fan:

No, all legal and above board.

So new National park fee for Phi Phi is 600 THB?

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sorry, mistake on my part. Entry is 400 baht, diving 200 baht, total 600. So far not levied if staying on board.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

No problems a mistake easy enough to make.

I'm just glad they didn't start some new scam out there.

I heard it has improved a bit after they changed all DNP staff out there.

7 Baby Gibbon was confiscated last season, income from the National park fee didn't stay in the pocket of the staff and so on.

My buddy was just there a few days ago.  Said it was an absolute zoo.  Only way to enjoy it is to hire a private boat and get there early before the masses.

Anyone who does the slightest bit of research before visiting, learns this. Been to Maya Bay three times in 12 years (the last time, just 2 years ago) and had the the place nearly to myself. Quiet beach, solitary hiking, peaceful swimming, and plenty of photos uncluttered by tourists.

The photos of the throngs and hundreds of boats are of the spoiled tourists who drink and party half the night before and then try to drag their hangovers and sorry butts aboard a speed boat about mid morning for a pristine island experience.

Not gonna happen.

Private boat at sunrise from Phi Phi Don at 6am -- about 800 baht. Gives you a 6-hour tour, starting with the solitary (at that hour) Maya Bay.

Do your homework, people, and stop bitching if you had an elbow-to-elbow experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 27/11/2016 at 4:16 AM, Old Croc said:

I understand this accident happened in Maya Bay so I was wondering why everyone is commenting on a picture of Tup Island.

Probably because it doesn't really matter where it happened, because the safety standards for tourists are sh*te, all over Thailand. 

Edited by NamKangMan

5 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Probably because it doesn't really matter where it happened, because the safety standards for tourists are sh*te, all over Thailand. 

I've seen other pics of Maya Bay packed with people and boats.  The pic may be of the wrong place, but shows the problems at these tourist areas.  No safety standards.  No concern for the environment.

On 11/26/2016 at 11:00 AM, Old Croc said:

And, in a small, crowded, enclosed bay, a speedboat driver managed to get up enough speed to destroy and sink a longtail.

"Longtail boat captain Vichan Samnuk, 33, told police, “While we were coming into Maya Bay, a speedboat travelling fast tried to cut across in front of me but crashed into us, causing my boat to sink"

How do they get up to speed, have a look at the very powerful (200HP) and multiple engines on these boats. They could outdo an F1 car off the line.

I guess longtails are expected to give way most of the time.

2 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

How do they get up to speed, have a look at the very powerful (200HP) and multiple engines on these boats. They could outdo an F1 car off the line.

my comment was more about where, than how.

On 26/11/2559 at 10:00 AM, Old Croc said:

brakes failed:shock1:

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

I especially like the way the speedboat driver can't see a thing in front of him for the first hundred meters (or more) when they come out of the hole, before they're up on plane.

Edit:  That's fine on open water with miles of clear water in front of you, but not so great in swimming or snorkeling areas or crowded bays.

Edited by impulse