Property

Ian Dunn

No rear entry in a condo.

OK - I'll get me coat.

Can we be grown up enough to do jokes like that these days without being accused of being homophobic? I'm quite OK with consenting adults doing what the h_ll they like when it comes to sex/relationships.

3 minutes ago, BOBAKAT said:

He don't want to buy a condo.m, he want to buy a house !

If it is your money, then it is more about what you want than what he wants... I imagine that anyone would prefer you buy a house in their name than a condo in your name... but as others pointed out, 5 months is not a long time. 

I did build a house in my wife's name but I knew her for a few years at the time and we decided together. I also knew that if we split up, the house was hers. 12 years later, still living here. 

BUT ****** you don't have to buy anything!!!!... keep the money invested and rent for a year is probably the wisest choice... 

If you buy the house in his name, get yourself the usefruct (สิทธิเก็บกิน sìt-tí-gèp-gin). That way, even if he sells it, you still have the right to live there). Google usefruct Thailand for all the details. It's cheap, legal and secures you your property for lifetime.

Only Five Months?

Rent in Thailand is cheap, and you never know when you are going to want to move, boyfriend or not! 

Never stop renting unless you own the condo in your name or a company in your name and are sure you will stay in a city many years.

Selling in Thailand is not easy.

14 hours ago, dksharron said:

Only Five Months?

Rent in Thailand is cheap, and you never know when you are going to want to move, boyfriend or not! 

Never stop renting unless you own the condo in your name or a company in your name and are sure you will stay in a city many years.

Selling in Thailand is not easy.

Thank you for your advice.

I am thinking of buying a new car, what about selling it after a couple of years or so? Would I have problems selling it then?

Sure, you can sell it, and you will need to be the one to make a lot of the effort to do so.

If you are in Pattaya, there are bulletin boards to use, and also a couple of sites  where you can list your car.  And, it is still a lot of work.  

If you will need it often, then go ahead and buy a car which is very common and can be resold more easily.  

Vios, Jazz, Yaris, City, etc.

If you will use it only occasionally, consider renting a car only for the time you need it.  If you can usually use a motorbike, maybe yes, maybe no, then do so, and rent the car if you have a trip planned or when something special is going on.  

This will save you depreciation, maintenance, insurance, and the hassle of selling it in the future.

If you will keep it several years, then buying can beneficial, but if you will have it only two years, and will not use it often - which is more common than you would think, then consider renting one only forthe days when you need it.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck Ian but yes some caution required. sounds like you fancy splashing out a bit and if you can afford it why not. 5 months is not a long time but I understand it I think to some degree. when I met the Mrs I was in thailand a month chatting to her online and only met her 6 days before I went back to uk. I then visited her twice before I moved in with her within 5 months of meeting her. that was nearly 2 years ago. we expecting child in feb so all systems are go. I never moved so quickly where decisions are concerned and whilst there's a few mountains to climb and I have questioned my own sanity more than once, overall the decisions feel like the right ones and it's an odd one as my son is due on the 27.02:-)