When is it ok to wear something else than black?

Moldybread

I'd like to know when it's ok to wear my regular clothes again... because it sounds like nobody knows.

My girlfriend is still wearing black because "other people are still wearing black" and fears to be the single duck out.

I walked out with a blue shirt and a black ribbon on last week and received a few disapproving looks from Thais.

We're in Bangkok by the way, I've visited Hua Hin two weeks ago and many were wearing their normal clothes again.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mcfish said:

The official mourning period is one year. In some European countries close relatives also wear black for 1 year so it sounds about right

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

You're half right. The official mourning periods are 30 days for normal folk, and 1 year for civil servants. Notice that flags are no longer flying at half mast (they were raised after 30 days). Many are still choosing to wear black for longer though. Agree that bright colours may not be a good idea, but they'll think you're a tourist so no real problem (assuming your not Thai or Asian).

6 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Depends where you are. In Pattaya Lots of hookers wearing bright red dresses and standard flip flops and colourful shirt for farang

And not only in Pattaya.

In upcountry only civil servants, bankers, members of the "upper society", and staff at some chain shops still wear black.

I am surprised that you get " disapproving looks" for a blue shirt (even in Bangkok).

Think again, must be something different.

Are you really surrounded by masses in black?

You are writing about a normal neighborhood/area?

Came back into the country wearing all black before the 30 days were up. Seemed to be appreciated by immigration and other government staff. The gf still wearing black, probably at least until the 100 days. I just use the black ribbon when need to wear other colours (but no red, yellow or bright colours)

I think it's depending of where you live – you said Bangkok and compared with Hua Hin – i.e. the area of Bangkok and the circles where you get around/work in the city.

Outside Bangkok, and especially the holiday destinations, things got back to normal after the 30 days official mourning period – however some locals still wear the black bow or badge – whilst in areas of Bangkok it seem like the Thais will continue to wear black; i.e. our neighbor's wife moved to their Bangkok apartment to part in the mourning ceremonies, and as she now expect to stay there for about a year, she has ordered black silk to have additional dress tailored from, as in the area she live in, people expects that she wear black.

But one can always avoid too fancy bright colors, a white shirt will also do fine, especially with a black bow, badge or ribbon – however, listen to what your girlfriend say, she should know better than us aliens...

Edited by khunPer
typo

IMHO mourning is a personal feeling and should not be a must.

You can show other people that you are sad in many other ways than wearing black clothes. The most important is the respect you show to Thailand and its people.

Since a few weeks, I wear everyday clothes with a black ribbon. When I go to Lotus, to Makro, to the bank or to any other place where a big pic of HM the King is shown at the entrance, I wai because I respect him.

Wearing "normal" clothes and show respect is a lot better than wearing black clothes and acting like a "Farang Kee Nok".

5 hours ago, Moldybread said:

I walked out with a blue shirt and a black ribbon on last week and received a few disapproving looks from Thais.

Pretty sure it wasn't anything to do with the blue shirt. Always check if your flies are done up.

My wife wore white blouse and red skirt today, I had pale green polo and khaki shorts and our son wore white t-shirt and blue shorts. Most people at Bic C were a veritable rainbow of colours. However, if you go to the up-market malls on a weekend, the sheeple are mostly still in black.

Edited by NanLaew

Just don't wear red. You'll be fine. The majority of locals are over it and only wear black because of the chance of losing face. No one cares what a farang is wearing. I see loads of Thais wearing football shirts again. Man Utd happen to be red.

The official mourning period for "normal" folk ended after 30 days.  Any colours can now be worn.  I commute to work at CentralWorld on the BTS every day, and a number of people are wearing brighter colours, including red, and not just tourists.  Yesterday I wore a smart pink shirt. :smile:

22 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

Was up in Isaan last week and all more or less back to normal 

dress code….smoking jacket in the morning, white flannels 

and blazer in the afternoon and black tie for dinner.

Splendid! I say, old chap.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_yRbpiQwb7CU/TEMhlSQLxTI/AAAAAAAAAtM/qUhwHAbKFJc/s1600/35261_10150210829545015_569295014_13474352_1170784_n.jpg

IF you respect Thailand, you will continue to wear Black for one year.

IF you want people to think you actually care for the people here, one year

IF you want people to think you are a bad farang and couldn't care less about Thailand, any color

Seriously, it's only one year.  If you can't wear Black, GO HOME!!!!!  

lol

10 hours ago, mcfish said:

The official mourning period is one year. In some European countries close relatives also wear black for 1 year so it sounds about right

Some widowed momas wear black for the rest of their lives.