Army keeps pressure on baht buses, taxis

Rimmer

Army keeps pressure on baht buses, taxis

Col. Popanan Luangpanuwut, deputy commander of the 14th Military Circle.

PATTAYA:-- The army is keeping up the pressure on Pattaya baht buses and taxis, ensuring they stop parking in areas that clog traffic.

Col. Popanan Luangpanuwut, deputy commander of the 14th Military Circle, told attendees at a Dec. 14 meeting that the crackdown on public transport operators continues with motorbikes, taxi, vans and baht busses.

Of particular interest to the military are vehicles that park on public property and flagrantly disobey traffic laws.

Part of the army’s law-and-order push is to paint all motorbike taxis the same color – blue – as per Chonburi Police regulations.

He vowed that motorbikes, baht buses and other vehicles no longer be allowed to pick up customers wherever they want and must stop in designated areas.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/army-keeps-pressure-baht-buses-taxis-159007

PATTAYA MAIL 2016-12-23

He vowed that motorbikes, baht buses and other vehicles no longer be allowed to pick up customers wherever they want and must stop in designated areas.

Lovely idea.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Sure wasn't happening today during my cruise around town.

16 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Is that not the job of the police???

The army is doing what the police should have been doing...

Let the police do their job ... and the army can oversee the police.

6 weeks boot camp for cops not doing their job.

The armies job is to protect a country...Nothing more....

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Where are the baht bus stops exactly? I know they used to have them on Pattaya beach road, but anywhere else? :coffee1:

Yes JT, coming down South Pattaya road, baht busses passed me by ignoring my signal to stop, then stopped a little further down the road and picked up several people.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Yes JT, coming down South Pattaya road, baht busses passed me by ignoring my signal to stop, then stopped a little further down the road and picked up several people.

That doesn't mean anything. Often buses won't bother stopping for a solo but will for groups. Especially in traffic. 

There would be a few options to make the general mess a bit smoother. How about (for example) reserving the left lane on Beach Road and Second Road for creepy-crawly baht busses, coaches, minivans and motorbike taxis, and leaving the right lane for "normal" traffic, i.e. cars and bikes? 

Ahhh - just realized: 'twas but a dream. I'm awake again now.

There would be a few options to make the general mess a bit smoother. How about (for example) reserving the left lane on Beach Road and Second Road for creepy-crawly baht busses, coaches, minivans and motorbike taxis, and leaving the right lane for "normal" traffic, i.e. cars and bikes? 

Ahhh - just realized: 'twas but a dream. I'm awake again now.

Twas a dream too right. I remember once walking approx 2 miles along sukhumvit road and I overtook an ambulance with it's lights and siren on. By the end of my journey I had left it well and truly behind me.
With my heart thinking for the lives lost in this country due to poor response [emoji29]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That doesn't mean anything. Often buses won't bother stopping for a solo but will for groups. Especially in traffic. 

and there was me thinking they were desperate for passengers, hence that annoying pumping of horns at almost everyone they pass.

16 hours ago, hdkane said:

What's the point of having police? They seem pretty useless, and apparently everyone knows it...

Indeed, everyone does know it.  That being the case, it might be an opertune time to allow the army to do the job of the police.  Then disband the RTP/DSI and start anew with a professional police force (no former RTP/DSI need apply).  Once properly trained, the army could relinquish control back to the new professional police.

This, of course, MUST be done simultaneously with a complete reform of the judicial system.

But I won't hold my breath.

14 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Lovely idea.  I'll believe it when I see it.  Sure wasn't happening today during my cruise around town.

No, not mine either, triple parking to drop off or pick up passengers was the norm.

There are still plenty of unused bus stops around town,  so rolling this idea out again should be less expensive that last time, and as much a waste of time.

Pattaya police are only good for 'protecting' bar owners.  They never patrol on foot.  They never see Second road clogged by parked baht buses; nor the motor bikes for hire that prevent parking.  Would the army dare go beyond moving taxis on and ask them to fit/use meters?

26 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya police are only good for 'protecting' bar owners.  They never patrol on foot.  They never see Second road clogged by parked baht buses; nor the motor bikes for hire that prevent parking.  Would the army dare go beyond moving taxis on and ask them to fit/use meters?

Guess who owns many of the dodgy bars....

Archived