looking for someone with brains about washing machines

Dirk_brijs

Hi guys

looking for someone with some knowledge about washing machines. An electrician of some sorts most likely

I have a washing machine that has stopped working and want it checked before I decide to buy a new one?

Maybe just some sort of loose contact or whatever that could be an easy fix?

So if someone could come and have a look at it for a decent price and possible fix it as well would be great?

Thanks guys

Oh may gosh, it could be all types of various problems--electrical and/or mechanical.

If it don't even turn on---just don't do anything at all, just seems completely dead---then it's probably electrical.  But if it does seems to try to run or just don't run the normal wash/rinse/spin cycle anymore it could be mechanical or electrical.  

Just so many possible problems.   Most of them simple fixes but so many possibilities. 

Which brand ? recently I had a message from my  washing machine ( E4 , Samsung ), I just search in the Internet what it means and I could repair it myself s( 2 minutes ) :( the same message, I saw it already, made it repaired and I paid 800 bahts !  ) :post-4641-1156693976:

Check the socket first by inserting another device (a table lamp for example). If there is power then ask yourself how old the machine is, how much it cost, and how often you have used it.

Based on that it should be very simple to work out whether it makes sense to buy a new one.

are there appliance technicians in Thailand?  do they make much money?   perhaps I could poach some work>?  I just love to fix things like this.... how hard is it to get parts in Thailand... In the US you can get any part in 2 days usually.   search on Google with your model number as it is amazing how many youtube videos will help you. 

Assuming you have checked you got power on the power-outlet you are using, I would do as below;

How old is the machine?

Old banger, bin it.

Newish and a good brand, try contacting the local repair office (Samsung-Eletrolux- and so on) and they can send a tec out.

They want the model no and will normally bring wear&tear spare-parts and fix it on the spot if it's such a fault.

It will normally cost a small fee just for showing up.

10 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Assuming you have checked you got power on the power-outlet you are using, I would do as below;

How old is the machine?

Old banger, bin it.

Newish and a good brand, try contacting the local repair office (Samsung-Eletrolux- and so on) and they can send a tec out.

They want the model no and will normally bring wear&tear spare-parts and fix it on the spot if it's such a fault.

It will normally cost a small fee just for showing up.

Good advice. The age of the machine should dictate whether it is worth any resurrection. Most machine problems tend to be in the electronics or the 'control panel' as any local appliance fudger will happily advise before taking it away for testing for a week to ten days before responding to the umpteenth phone call that it's buggered and obsolete and will cost between 5 an 8 thousand baht for a 'new' control panel.

There's a small selection of washing machine parts at Amorn (basement of Tukcom on Tai) and  bigger selection at their Sri Racha outlet. Not sure if Amorn Pattaya have any techs like some of their other regional outlets. Best bet is to cruise the likes of Soi SCC, Nernpluwan, Khaonoi and Khaotalo and look for the shop house with loads of second-hand appliances outside and contact the one nearest your home. Don't get confused with the local hock shops that tend to have decent looking fridges, washing machines outside though. The giveaway is if they also have loads of speakers, amps, guitars and keyboards. Then it's a pawn shop.

Every brand of washing machine I have ever owned had a sticker on the side with the number for their repair centre, but even if your machine doesn't, it wouldn't be too hard to find it. Getting anything electrical fixed by anyone else is a gamble at best.

Being in Banchang, not Pattaya, I can't recommend anyone local to you, but we had the same problem a couple of months ago. The machine is a Zanussi front-loader which  was nearly new and shipped out from England when we moved here 7 years ago. It wouldn't start at all, although the power switch on the door was working. I've never seen a Zanussi in Thailand, and pretty much dismissed the idea that we'd be able to get anyone to fix it. However, I noticed a little shop in the town centre, most unpromising in appearance with old washing machines, fridges, tvs and allsorts piled up - I just thought, what have we got to lose?

Much to my surprise they were very business-like and said, yes, have Zanussi in Thailand, also many of the parts are interchangeable with Electrolux. They came and looked at it, very quickly identified that the Programme Control was the problem, and took the machine away. They phoned the next day to say that they couldn't repair the existing unit, but could fit a new one, cost 4500Baht, one-year guarantee on the part. Again, compared with the cost of a new machine, it was a no-brainer. They brought it back in 24 hours, running fine, and also gave the missis a lecture about the powder she was using - apparently top-loader powder is not good for a front-loader.

So just ask around, you could be lucky.

Go into Big C or one of the large retailers and ask about this.  Good luck but this is just an example of my philosophy to own nothing the rest of my life.  No cars, house, condos, motorbikes, washing machines, dryers, (girls/marriage :)etc. I did all that most of my life and I think it just creates a bunch of headaches and actually is a wash financially, but no hassles now renting everything.  Especially in Thailand I think.

Is your machine one of the newer top loading models with electronic "push-button" controls?

I have a 5 year old Toshiba 6.5 kg machine; the one you see in most local stores for B6000 and it had been dependable until last month when it stopped completing the wash cycle.  As it was out of warranty, I didn't want to use Toshiba service unless I had to...usually very expensive.

Near my apartment building is  a shop with 4 or 5 coin operated washing machines out front for public use. I figured they must require somebody to maintain them so I asked at the shop and she gave me the number of the man who fixes them.  I had a Thai speaker call him and he came right over the next day and fixed the issue, total cost: B300.  

He tried to show me different sequences you can input into the control buttons that re-set certain functions but it was difficult to understand. I did see that a general re-set could be done by first un-plugging, wait 30 seconds, then plugging in and holding down the "Start" button for 10 seconds.

The OP might try looking up his make and model number on the internet.  There should be a manual available online and it may show similar codes that could be tried. 

My machine packed in last year. The electronic display was all over the place. Quoted 6500 baht to fix it. Did it myself for 300 baht after analysing the problem was the water level sensor.

Be careful of calling peole out. Try and figure it out yorself. There isn't much that can go wrong whih isn't obvious with a bit of thought,

I had some years ago a problem with my 8kf LG Toploader. Power come but nothing worked. Brought it to the LG Shop and they fixed it for 2.300 Baht. Some weeks later same problem. This time I checked self what happen. A brown rat gone inside the machine and bite the cabels.

:-)