Bus to Pattaya gassing up on the way.

rak sa_ngop

Just to satisfy my curiosity can any one explain why the bus I caught to Pattaya from Ekamai last Saturday mornig stopped off just before Pattaya to gas up at the NGV gas station?

This is the first time it has happened to me in over 10 years of catching the bus. And there were 3 other buses from the same company gassing up as well.

A bit irritating as it added 20 min to the trip. Takes a long time to fill those tanks.

Is this something we can expect more of, or maybe it has something to do with the recent gas price hike?

• Like 1

a four hour van journey required two gas stops.

i'm all for drivers taking a break but two stops?

why dont they fill up before they depart?

maybe they do and the gas tanks on vans have limited capacity and vans can only go 150 kms - 200 kms on one tank?

i thought maybe there is a scam trying to get passengers to buy over priced stuff at the gas station but there was only a 7/11 and no one bought much.

logic we dont understand, just another aspect of living here

Maybe the driver gets a "commission"  for filling up at that particular station.

Maybe he was out of gas and that was the nearest station.

Maybe that's the only station on the route and he has little other choice but to use it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It happened to me last year.  I'm guessing there's some sort of commission.  A full bus of passengers doing into that snack shop and buying stuff?  It says "Direct", and it's not.

Ah, but does it say non-stop?

• Like 2

If it is a recent phenomenon that more busses are stopping for gas and comfort breaks then I would say that is a good thing. Drivers nodding off at the wheel is a major cause of accidents here and stopping for 20 minutes or so will reduce such accidents. Better late than never.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, champers said:

If it is a recent phenomenon that more busses are stopping for gas and comfort breaks then I would say that is a good thing. Drivers nodding off at the wheel is a major cause of accidents here and stopping for 20 minutes or so will reduce such accidents. Better late than never.

Yes, but pity they stop just 10 mins short of the final destination.

• Like 2

Maybe their regular Bangkok NGV station wasn't available for some reason so they need to refuel en-route?

A first for me yesterday morning after dropping my lad at school, I headed down Sukhumvit to get some diesel and a cup of coffee at PTT. No pumps available, all lanes coned off and I noted there was no go-juice of any ilk being pumped at all as I circled and left. Didn't even stop for a coffee. Maybe the power was out but it was a first for me. I have seen huge tailbacks at some provincial NGV stations which I assume is something to do with supply and demand where maybe only one station has stock?

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Maybe their regular Bangkok NGV station wasn't available for some reason so they need to refuel en-route?

A first for me yesterday morning after dropping my lad at school, I headed down Sukhumvit to get some diesel and a cup of coffee at PTT. No pumps available, all lanes coned off and I noted there was no go-juice of any ilk being pumped at all as I circled and left. Didn't even stop for a coffee. Maybe the power was out but it was a first for me. I have seen huge tailbacks at some provincial NGV stations which I assume is something to do with supply and demand where maybe only one station has stock?

I suspect it is something to do with the recent gas price hikes, which usually leads to hoarding and opportunism by suppliers.

CNG/NGV in Bangkok was always a problem with the 'stock' being two trailers hitched somewhere out the back and during peak hours, you could see queues of taxis waiting to get fuel snaking out onto the road... and once the gas in that two trailer run out, it's a long wait until another one arrive

Not so much problem in Pattaya as we have access to the pipeline with NGV stations along the route like the 36 and many side roads along the 7 that taps in to the pipeline so no need to wait for the gas trailer to wade through traffic to replenish the stock at the station.

But my impression is that most of Rueng Rueng's coach, at least the old Mercedez ones are running diesel, not cng. Maybe only the newer Chinese coaches need to fuel up with CNG as they have diesel pump at their depot and North Pattaya, actually come to think of it, their Bang Na depot is a CNG station. they probably don't do this with every run as well as my understanding is that they do load the undercarriages with tanks for the gas and the coach can go a long while without needing to fuel up.

Being Thailand, I'm at least thankful that the driver had the foresight to fill up before he runs out and potentially stranding you on the side of the road

I've had for worse experience on Rueng Rueng to Bangkok when the driver decides to make a detour into Sriracha down some small sois to pick up what appears to be his Lunch from a street stll and/or wife

Edited by digbeth

On 2/9/2017 at 1:30 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

They stop 10 minutes short of your final destination. The driver may have to go to BKK and maybe back to Patts again before he gets to his final destination. I guess the overriding factor may be what suits him rather than what suits the customer. Who knows?

Edited by champers

On 2/7/2017 at 2:56 PM, chickenslegs said:

It's happened to me on each of my latest 2 journeys.

30+ passengers have to get off the bus for 20 minutes, and most visit the gas station shop for drinks and snacks. No other shops or shade for miles around.

But I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

Maybe driver gets a commission for the purchases made by the commuters at the minimart.

On 10/02/2017 at 9:21 PM, champers said:

They stop 10 minutes short of your final destination. The driver may have to go to BKK and maybe back to Patts again before he gets to his final destination. I guess the overriding factor may be what suits him rather than what suits the customer. Who knows?

Maybe ROONG REUANG COACH owns that gas station including the SEVEN now and thus would benefit both ways from fueling up as well PAX buying things at SEVEN. And the reason why they stop on the way TO Pattaya is maybe the fact that PAX less likely rely on onward connecting travel when arriving at PTY than might be the case when arriving in BKK. Just my 25 satang of words.....

(still, I don't like that stop. Happened to me too recently)

Edited by siam2007
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 1:30 PM, rak sa_ngop said:

Are there not baht buses running nearby? Can you request that the luggage compartment is open if you want to carry on the journey yourself?

I do think it may be a commission deal at the minimart.

But another thing with the early buses.  Last trip it made 4 stops on the way here not counting Bang Na.  This was the 630 am bus.  One stop took us off the highway about 15 minutes to some fairly remote area and one person got off.  These cannot be schedules stops, right?  Seems more like a taxi.  I think it was people going to work.  Anyway, it took well over 3 hours to get here.

Edited by bkk6060

On 2/8/2017 at 6:18 PM, champers said:

Perhaps if it was mid-trip, but the OP mentioned it was near the end of the trip. I wouldn't mind a mid-trip break for toilet and refreshments - that would be an improvement in my book.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Perhaps if it was mid-trip, but the OP mentioned it was near the end of the trip. I wouldn't mind a mid-trip break for toilet and refreshments - that would be an improvement in my book.

It's only a 2 hour trip!  And yes, the stop is just before Pattaya.  Without the trip, you'd be at the station heading home instead of boarding an old bus again for another 30 minutes.  It makes the trip an extra 30-40 minutes longer!

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It's only a 2 hour trip!  And yes, the stop is just before Pattaya.  Without the trip, you'd be at the station heading home instead of boarding an old bus again for another 30 minutes.  It makes the trip an extra 30-40 minutes longer!

Some of my trips back to Pattaya have been near 3 hours without a gas stop. Certainly, most are 2.5 hours.

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I have taken it 100 times.  It is always much closer to a 3 hour trip not 2.  As far as the toilet break, even on the old buses there is a toilet on the lower level.  But it is a smelly, small, disgusting space makes me vomit.  My suggsestion is to clear your bladder/bowels prior to departing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have taken it 100 times.  It is always much closer to a 3 hour trip not 2.  As far as the toilet break, even on the old buses there is a toilet on the lower level.  But it is a smelly, small, disgusting space makes me vomit.  My suggsestion is to clear your bladder/bowels prior to departing.

I wouldn't even consider entering what they call a toilet on the bus.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I go from Pattaya to Udom Suk, normally one of the first buses to leave.  I always get there in 2 hours or less.  No stops on the way.  Coming back is a different matter as I normally leave sometime after lunch, so traffic is a bit worse, and I leave from Ekkamai..  The only time I've had a 3 hour trip was when they diverted for various stops.  But yes, in the afternoon, 2.5-3 hours is the norm.  Stops included.  I've done this trip many times also. 

I've taken bus trips in many countries around the world.  For a "developed" country like Thailand, public transport here is an embarrassment. 

• Like 1