Retire in Phuket or Southern Europe?

simon43

Yes, available funds are a huge factor for many in deciding where to retire.
If, like yourself and the other poster, cheap public transport is a must, then Phuket is not for you.   I have a car and a driver and have no trouble getting around this Island.
Apart from the occasional taxi, the last time I used public transport was with a Eurorail pass in the 90s.

Haha I don't think you see the irony in your post. It's far cheaper to hire a driver if your a very active social guy than pay for tuks tuks .. Lol

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Haha I don't think you see the irony in your post. It's far cheaper to hire a driver if your a very active social guy than pay for tuks tuks .. Lol

Haha, once again you have incorrectly summed up my character and experience.

I'm an expat, without the prefix S, I'm retired here and my driver is my wife.

Believe me she spends a lot more of my money than any Bangla or Walking Street lady.

This thread is about retirement, and reasons for retiring in one country or another. The OP specified Phuket as his choice in Thailand, but I'm sure many would like to hear positives about elsewhere in Thailand. 

To just use the thread to throw the usual merde at Phuket without contributing to the subject, only exhibits the fact that you are probably about 60 years shy of retirement age.

Haha, once again you have incorrectly summed up my character and experience.
I'm an expat, without the prefix S, I'm retired here and my driver is my wife.
Believe me she spends a lot more of my money than any Bangla or Walking Street lady.
This thread is about retirement, and reasons for retiring in one country or another. The OP specified Phuket as his choice in Thailand, but I'm sure many would like to hear positives about elsewhere in Thailand. 
To just use the thread to throw the usual merde at Phuket without contributing to the subject, only exhibits the fact that you are probably about 60 years shy of retirement age.

Geez why not just say your wife drives you. I wouldn't have even responded.

Why tell us phuket is not for those that worry about transport costs and emit the fact you don't pay a dime? How bizarre lol

If the cost of public transport is the only thing you can find wrong with living in Phuket you must lack finances, Phuket is second to bangkok for infrastructure and services (4 private hospitals) with a much healthier environment (not choking on exhaust fumes here)

IT is more expensive than Bangkok because at least 95% of the goods and services come from Bangkok, Bangkok is somewhere i personally would never want to retire to or Pattaya with its polluted ocean

Its the same difference between chalk and cheese if you can afford to live where ever you want to in Thailand 

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Geez why not just say your wife drives you. I wouldn't have even responded.

Why tell us phuket is not for those that worry about transport costs and emit the fact you don't pay a dime? How bizarre lol

I though it was a bit misleading as well, but it got you in didn't it

Does not mean he could not pay if he had to, unlike a lot of posters

If the cost of public transport is the only thing you can find wrong with living in Phuket you must lack finances, Phuket is second to bangkok for infrastructure and services (4 private hospitals) with a much healthier environment (not choking on exhaust fumes here)

IT is more expensive than Bangkok because at least 95% of the goods and services come from Bangkok, Bangkok is somewhere i personally would never want to retire to or Pattaya with its polluted ocean

Its the same difference between chalk and cheese if you can afford to live where ever you want to in Thailand 

I own a condo in lower Sukhumvit bangkok so not financially challenged but don't like being extorted just to get from A to B either.. Nobody goes to pattaya to swim lol

Just 30 mins and 20 baht away is the island of koh larn with 5 beaches and crystal clear water.. Makes phuket beaches resemble Pattaya Beach in comparison

I'm not really a sea person.  I like to relax on the beach and watch the world go by, but even relaxing on the beach seems to be difficult nowadays in Phuket.  (By relaxing, I mean sitting on a sun lounger with a small table with beer and food).

49 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

"If the cost of public transport is the only thing you can find wrong with living in Phuket you must lack finances" - can I afford to use tuk-tuks, yes.  Do I, no. 

Imagine for a moment that everything you consume for everyday living on Phuket was 10 times, or more, than anywhere else in Thailand - that's what has happened to transport on Phuket. 

As an example, you wouldn't pay 2000 baht for a knock-off copy T-Shirt at the market here, when, as an expat, you know they are 200 baht in other places in Thailand.  This is the reason I do not use them, and we are now really seeing their effect on the tourism industry. 

Just on this transport issue as people age into retirement, how are many of the expats going to get around when they are too old to ride a bike, and if they have a car, possibly shouldn't be driving, either?  I mean, eyesight, reaction time, balance, strength etc.  One member mentioned his wife drives him around, and given she may be younger, that's one solution, but the lack of transport on Phuket maybe something to think about when your driving / riding days are coming to an end, and you do not have someone to transport you around.   

"Phuket is second to bangkok for infrastructure and services" - so where is Pattaya on your list, or did you include Pattaya as greater Bangkok?  

2 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

"If the cost of public transport is the only thing you can find wrong with living in Phuket you must lack finances" - can I afford to use tuk-tuks, yes.  Do I, no. 

Imagine for a moment that everything you consume for everyday living on Phuket was 10 times, or more, than anywhere else in Thailand - that's what has happened to transport on Phuket. 

As an example, you wouldn't pay 2000 baht for a knock-off copy T-Shirt at the market here, when, as an expat, you know they are 200 baht in other places in Thailand.  This is the reason I do not use them, and we are now really seeing their effect on the tourism industry. 

Just on this transport issue as people age into retirement, how are many of the expats going to get around when they are too old to ride a bike, and if they have a car, possibly shouldn't be driving, either?  I mean, eyesight, reaction time, balance, strength etc.  One member mentioned his wife drives him around, and given she may be younger, that's one solution, but the lack of transport on Phuket maybe something to think about when your driving / riding days are coming to an end, and you do not have someone to transport you around.   

"Phuket is second to bangkok for infrastructure and services" - so where is Pattaya on your list, or did you include Pattaya as greater Bangkok?  

Another thing that is always absent from the 500 baht ride to anywhere is the 500 baht ride back. So that's 1000 baht = 23 quid for just one trip to anywhere here now. Add on any detours and that price can be doubled or tripled. Insane. And now the motosai guys have started upping their prices, a friend had recently been quoted 300 baht from Chalong Circle to upper Sai Yuan! On the back of a bloody bike! I'd overheard a German complaining to some Italians about the Chalong Circle 'mafia' on the bullock cart couple of days back. So chum not a 'one off' event.

As for infrastructure, you ever actually walked anywhere here? Next to nil paving, potholes and open sewers everywhere. And don't get me started on the hospitals. The mill that is the BKK hospital charges 30% more here than their branch in Bangkok. That's nothing to do with 'transport costs' it's out and out greed, as per. And apart from what is referred to affectionately by the locals as The Slaughterhouse, aka the Vachira, the rest aren't exactly value for money either, and that includes the increasingly priced Mission.

The BP headlined this am 'Phuket still waiting for the promised tourists [sic] .. and waiting'. They're not coming back and people are leaving, in droves. 

On 11/02/2017 at 0:41 PM, melvinmelvin said:

OP

could take a look at Malta and Cyprus, in particular Cyprus. Many affordable areas, English well understood.

Eastern Med normally has decent temperatures year round.

If you fancy the odd cold day, they are available in Cyprus, winter time, up in the mountains.

I really liked Malta & Gozo. However when I looked into living there renting is OK but if you want to buy there is a minimum price for non Maltese. ( and this includes other EU citizens). 

WHy not hua hin ? I went there last month, the whole vibe of the place felt like I was in southern Spain . Has decent roads and infrastructure (if that's your worry) so would be an ideal retirement place . personally I disliked it as im nowhere near retirement age , but I can see the benifits it has to someone who is . 

All the poor people complaining about the same things again

If you do not drive yourself and have no partner to drive you you pay someone to do it if you want personal transport, the same as any other country in the world

Hua Hin is OK for a overnight stop only in my opinion and Pattaya is just one big banga road

a sexpats paradise

If you cannot afford to buy a motorbike just rent one for 250 baht a day long term, no more expensive tuk tuk rides and go where you want when you want, Or buy a bicycle like quite a few retired expats on low incomes do 

The roads here are in about the same condition as anywhere else i have driven in thailand and large amounts of money is currently being spent on improving them

For potholes in footpaths try walking in some areas in Bangkok, not potholes but being torn up and having to try and walk in the traffic is no fun and dangerous 

Costs of using private hospitals does not worry many expats here except some forum posters you can always use the public ones if poor or shift to Bangkok to save 30%

They are certainly much cheaper than private hospitals in Australia

The overall cost of living here is cheap compared to Australia and i am not interested in shifting to anywhere else in Thailand just to save a few Baht like all the expats i know personally who have no intentions of leaving Phuket because its not expensive in their opinion either 

If you are really poor you can always take up begging which seems to be a new way of making a living by some people who call themselves expats in recent times

3 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

All the poor people complaining about the same things again

If you do not drive yourself and have no partner to drive you you pay someone to do it if you want personal transport, the same as any other country in the world

Hua Hin is OK for a overnight stop only in my opinion and Pattaya is just one big banga road

a sexpats paradise

If you cannot afford to buy a motorbike just rent one for 250 baht a day long term, no more expensive tuk tuk rides and go where you want when you want, Or buy a bicycle like quite a few retired expats on low incomes do 

The roads here are in about the same condition as anywhere else i have driven in thailand and large amounts of money is currently being spent on improving them

For potholes in footpaths try walking in some areas in Bangkok, not potholes but being torn up and having to try and walk in the traffic is no fun and dangerous 

Costs of using private hospitals does not worry many expats here except some forum posters you can always use the public ones if poor or shift to Bangkok to save 30%

They are certainly much cheaper than private hospitals in Australia

The overall cost of living here is cheap compared to Australia and i am not interested in shifting to anywhere else in Thailand just to save a few Baht like all the expats i know personally who have no intentions of leaving Phuket because its not expensive in their opinion either 

If you are really poor you can always take up begging which seems to be a new way of making a living by some people who call themselves expats in recent times

"If you do not drive yourself and have no partner to drive you you pay someone to do it if you want personal transport, the same as any other country in the world" - like it or not, the day will come for ALL of us when we are physically unable to ride / drive a vehicle. 

This also happens in the west, and this also happens to Thai women.  It's called, AGE. 

Now, some / many expats may have a wife / partner considerably younger than they are to transport them around, HOWEVER, for those who do not, transport on Phuket MAY become their biggest expense in their latter years.  Eg. that trip to the supermarket cost more that the groceries you have to buy.

I was merely raising this point as something to consider when retiring on Phuket, not complaining about it. 

24 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"If you do not drive yourself and have no partner to drive you you pay someone to do it if you want personal transport, the same as any other country in the world" - like it or not, the day will come for ALL of us when we are physically unable to ride / drive a vehicle. 

This also happens in the west, and this also happens to Thai women.  It's called, AGE. 

Now, some / many expats may have a wife / partner considerably younger than they are to transport them around, HOWEVER, for those who do not, transport on Phuket MAY become their biggest expense in their latter years.  Eg. that trip to the supermarket cost more that the groceries you have to buy.

I was merely raising this point as something to consider when retiring on Phuket, not complaining about it. 

I can afford to pay for a full time driver anytime i want or need one, like all the expat retirees i know

You claim to be under 50 financially secure and retired it should be no problem for you either if everything you claim on this forum is true

Personally i have never met anyone under 50 who is a self funded retiree, just people living of social security or insurance payments/payouts until their funds run out or payments are stopped

There is always the exception i suppose 

Edited by madmax2

Just now, JB300 said:

Out of curiosity what is a typical Budget for a retiree in Phuket?

Depends on the retiree, we own everything house, vehicles, furniture etc  and do not use finance for anything

I just take 100k out of the bank when ever money at home runs low, this lasts for 1.5 to 2.5 months depending on the outgoings, and not including any major purchases

Regular bills are cable, internet, power and water plus general living expenses including short trips away by road in Thailand

50 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Out of curiosity what is a typical Budget for a retiree in Phuket?

Everyone is different depending upon circumstances (family etc) however I think I spend too much, but then again I always was a bit loose with my own funds.

I rent a small apt, am single, own a motorbike and a car, drink far too much red wine and spend around 1.2 million baht pa, however this does include about 120k baht I give to my ex gfs daughter by way of supporting her through school and later Uni...........and then I know of a UK expat who gets by on his UK Govt pension and seems to manage ok.

Different strokes for different folks.

Everyone is different depending upon circumstances (family etc) however I think I spend too much, but then again I always was a bit loose with my own funds.

I rent a small apt, am single, own a motorbike and a car, drink far too much red wine and spend around 1.2 million baht pa, however this does include about 120k baht I give to my ex gfs daughter by way of supporting her through school and later Uni...........and then I know of a UK expat who gets by on his UK Govt pension and seems to manage ok.

Different strokes for different folks.

Thanks, I'm working to a Budget of around 100k pm all in so from the sounds of your & Madmax's reply am roughly in the right ballpark (though I also like the old vino a bit too much!)

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

Thanks, I'm working to a Budget of around 100k pm all in so from the sounds of your & Madmax's reply am roughly in the right ballpark (though I also like the old vino a bit too much!)

You can live well as a single person on 100k PM or 1.2 m per year

You can by a new Motorbike for under 60k and that cuts out all your local travel expenses

You would have to drink a hell of a lot of the cheap wine here to exceed that amount and would probably end 6 foot under for doing so

Eating out is much cheaper than Australia and most other countries from what i have read in the news, its really not expensive to live here as some people claim on forums

A room with its own bathroom and internet connection can be had for around 5k a month in Chalong

Best to check living expenses with genuine expats who live here full time once you get  here, plenty around but not many can be bothered posting on forums because of the trolls

and only use forums mainly for up to date visa information

36 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

You can live well as a single person on 100k PM or 1.2 m per year

You can by a new Motorbike for under 60k and that cuts out all your local travel expenses

You would have to drink a hell of a lot of the cheap wine here to exceed that amount and would probably end 6 foot under for doing so

Eating out is much cheaper than Australia and most other countries from what i have read in the news, its really not expensive to live here as some people claim on forums

A room with its own bathroom and internet connection can be had for around 5k a month in Chalong

Best to check living expenses with genuine expats who live here full time once you get  here, plenty around but not many can be bothered posting on forums because of the trolls

and only use forums mainly for up to date visa information

Yes you can live very well on 100 K per month and buy some good wine into the bargain (my wine bill was upwards of 18,000 baht per month until I got onto a wholesaler of sorts).

I can eat at one of my favourite Italian restaurants where a main meal will cost around 300 baht and he lets me take my own wine (only if I'm in a small party though). If you fancy somewhere like the Wine Connection then you can eat there for around 350 to 400 baht, so plenty of options available on eating out and of course if you like Thai food then a lot cheaper.

As for renting a small apartment in Patong, I know mm2 said you can get one in Chalong for around 5K, however I have seen the like of those and they are basically Thai style IMO, and certainly wouldn't suit me, however in Patong you should be able to get a good sized one bedroom apartment with a kitchen and all mod cons for around 20,000 baht (some less if you get lucky during the low season and clinch a deal for the longer term), studios are less and in one of the small Sois off somewhere like Nanai Road you can sometimes pick up a little Thai style bungalow for around 15,000 baht.

For me there is a "saving grace" for living in Thailand because I can eat as cheaply or as expensively as I want, thereby counteracting the effects of inflation in many respects, which does affect me because neither of my pensions are index linked.

In reference to that last paragraph, if I had to live on about half of what I do now, then I believe I could still do it.

2 hours ago, JB300 said:

You should be able to live very well on 100K per month.

Our annual spend is a little south of 1million - around 80K/month. Married, we have a car (we don't use it much, but handy in rainy season), a couple of motorbikes, and we own our home. My wife is an outstanding cook, but we eat out probably 75% of meals due to convenience, mostly Thai food. The biggest expenses are health insurance, utilities, home maintenance and trips back home.

With 20-25K/month for a decent apartment (not a 30 m2 shoebox), you'll be fine!

Thanks, a nice place to live is one of my highest priorities so have budgeted 25,000 PM for rent & would sacrifice a few nights out per month to raise this if needed for the right location/unit.

I've only ever been to Patong, Kuta, Katong, Surin which are obviously all reasonably close to each other in the same part of the Island, are there any other areas worth checking out?

Ideally I'd like to be closer to an airport

4 hours ago, madmax2 said:

I can afford to pay for a full time driver anytime i want or need one, like all the expat retirees i know

You claim to be under 50 financially secure and retired it should be no problem for you either if everything you claim on this forum is true

Personally i have never met anyone under 50 who is a self funded retiree, just people living of social security or insurance payments/payouts until their funds run out or payments are stopped

There is always the exception i suppose 

100k is way more then you need if you own your home and car . 50 k is most likely going towards the bint and her family ! They cost you know !! She's will most likely have baggage in tow so account for that as well . 

Edited by chrisandsu
J

My wife and her own family ( not parent and siblings) live with us in Phuket and cost us very little extra over our normal living expenses

Her father is a retired school teacher and receives a government pension and is financially secure and the other members of her family apart from one who we refused do not ask for money 

We would help them and have in a emergency with cash but not otherwise

I have no clue how people come up with a amount of 50k for family support although i have been told bar girls are always asking for money for their families from their hansum men

3 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

My wife and her own family ( not parent and siblings) live with us in Phuket and cost us very little extra over our normal living expenses

Her father is a retired school teacher and receives a government pension and is financially secure and the other members of her family apart from one who we refused do not ask for money 

We would help them and have in a emergency with cash but not otherwise

I have no clue how people come up with a amount of 50k for family support although i have been told bar girls are always asking for money for their families from their hansum men

so she doesn't want you for being hansum man and is honest about just wanting your wallet ? I commend you for having an honest open relationship ????Big thumbs up to you ! It's so refreshing seeing a bit of honesty in these forums .

50 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Thanks, a nice place to live is one of my highest priorities so have budgeted 25,000 PM for rent & would sacrifice a few nights out per month to raise this if needed for the right location/unit.

I've only ever been to Patong, Kuta, Katong, Surin which are obviously all reasonably close to each other in the same part of the Island, are there any other areas worth checking out?

A nice one bedroom furnished condo/apartment can be had for well under 25K PM if you take a 6 month or 1 year contract

Just get temporary accommodation and have a good look around yourself in the area you want to live in and ask locally or just look for rent signs they are everywhere.

Lots of competition with rental apartments/condos with thousands available on Phuket island  

10 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

so she doesn't want you for being hansum man and is honest about just wanting your wallet ? I commend you for having an honest open relationship ????Big thumbs up to you ! It's so refreshing seeing a bit of honesty in these forums .

You really do not know what you are talking about like most trolls

I think my wife would probably have more money in her own bank account than you will ever have and the other trolls also

Helping family comes normally to me, it will never effect my living standards, ever

I know of at least 4 Thai/farang relationships where the Thai wife is the main bread winner and have heard of a lot more

Edited by madmax2

6 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

You really do not know what you are talking about like most trolls

I think my wife would probably have more money in her own bank account than you will ever have and the other trolls also

Helping family comes normally to me, it will never effect my living standards, ever

I know of at least 4 Thai/farang relationships where the Thai wife is the main bread winner and have heard of a lot more

Hahahah now now did I hit a nerve mr rich man ? If you come across as a prized plum I'll put you into the little box you dropped out of . The funny thing is people like you are so insecure you have to go onto thai visa to explain to everyone how well to do you are . The facts are like most on here you got a favourable exchange rate when you sold up in your home country ,and then got a little  dilustional with thoughts of grandeur . It's ok I'm sure she loves you for your charming personality , you was the catch of the year as she was self sufficient herself and really didn't need you right ? Is that box a tight fit ? 

3 hours ago, JB300 said:

Depends upon your needs JB300........first of all though, not 100% sure where you mean by the place names but I would think Kathu, Kata and possibly Kamala and Karon are the places you mean??

If you like a few nights out on the town, with some restaurants close at hand (both Thai and European) as well as a beach nearby, then Patong can fit the bill and despite there being the occasional water scare, folks have told me that you can find patches of good sand and clean sea, not that it's something I ever do (anyway if you wanted a day in the sea and on the sand, then you can just pop along to Karon or Kamala both of which have some lovely stretches of sand). And of course you have the shopping and shopping malls ranging from the big Jungceylon to the small numbers, and the occasional Chinese/tent city Mart that sell knickknacks and cheapies which can come in handy.

I know of a few expats who have moved out of Patong and gone over the hill to Kamala, but the problem is if they ever want a night out on the town they have to contend with traffic jams and roadblocks, not to mention breathalyser stops, so that has basically put paid to their forays to Bangla and environs.

The same applies to Kathu and anyway IMO it's bloody dangerous going over the Patong Hills at night at the best of time.

Kata was a place I quite liked when I first arrived here, along with Rawai, however they seem to have quietened down a bit now and it's just too quiet and "rural" for my liking.

You mentioned you would like to be closer to the airport and these last two places would be even further away, but from my perspective I wouldn't worry about being any closer to the airport because at any time of the day you can get a taxi here (Patong) which will whisk you to the airport in under an hour and most of the drivers know a few alternative routes if they need to take them.

As for budgeting 25,000 baht a month for a nice apartment, well you will certainly get one for that and quite possibly with two bedrooms.

As others have said, get here and book into just about anyplace you fancy for a week until you get your bearings and then you can start to look around and ask around and get a feel for the place; that's what I did and you'd be surprised how your view of certain areas change after you've been here a while, for example I looked at a place within walking distance of Bangla Road, until I walked up it one morning at about 3 a.m. and the deafening disco noise would certainly ensure that sleep was hard to come by.

Another place I quite liked was in a small Soi, but later on in the day seemed to be a meeting place for all of the Soi dogs, and indeed in a place I eventually settled one Soi dog got a little bit too vicious with a young family member and me, and I had to dispatch it to doggy heaven.

So what I'm saying is that being mobile early on in the piece is of paramount importance in my opinion.

Edited by xylophone