bought car cash, got white plates, but told to wait for the bluebook?

3 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Which is why I never put the red plates in 5000bht deposit easily nicked. 5000bht gone West. 

Never considered them being nicked to be honest, fair point though.

The Dealer told me that many Thais like to hang on to the red plate as long as possible for "show" that they have a new car and because they dont return them when they should is why the charge is made.

What Honda and what price? What extras.I live near there and am looking at a civic rs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Hrv E limited, just over a mil, 1st class insurance free first year, vip card 10% discount (I'm still waiting for), tinted windows, body cover, floor mats, door visor, trunk tray free, 30k to 18 month free maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

16 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Real red plates have a log book, it is supposed to filled out for each trip.

Also there is driving restrictions with red plates.... something like cannot drive after dark or out of province but am no 100% sure on  that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/35752-new-car-red-license-plates/

I agree with Don Mega on this issue about log book. It's colour brown and is linked to a specific set of red plates. Whilst on red plates, you are required to fill every trip into this log book, regardless of journey length. You hand the brown log book back to the Dealer, with the red plates, when your white plates finally arrive.

Next Chev Buriram customer that uses my "old" red plates will also get my "old" brown log book and will see all my old trip entries in the log, which will probably amuse a Thai, as my farang scribble is quite different to all the other previous entries.

I know 2 farangs that have had roadblock hassles when asked for the brown book, but they hadn't filled it in at all. A small donation was deemed reasonable.

Chev Buriram required 2000 baht deposit for the red plates. Somebody here said their Dealer wanted 5000 baht. Seems way over the top to me ?

Also, my blue book was handed to me same time as my white plates.

6 minutes ago, electric said:

I agree with Don Mega on this issue about log book. It's colour brown and is linked to a specific set of red plates. Whilst on red plates, you are required to fill every trip into this log book, regardless of journey length. You hand the brown log book back to the Dealer, with the red plates, when your white plates finally arrive.

Next Chev Buriram customer that uses my "old" red plates will also get my "old" brown log book and will see all my old trip entries in the log, which will probably amuse a Thai, as my farang scribble is quite different to all the other previous entries.

I know 2 farangs that have had roadblock hassles when asked for the brown book, but they hadn't filled it in at all. A small donation was deemed reasonable.

Chev Buriram required 2000 baht deposit for the red plates. Somebody here said their Dealer wanted 5000 baht. Seems way over the top to me ?

Seems it's a different system then garage to garage. I got red plates 5000bht deposit no book with plates at all and I have had two new cars sin2ive been here. As stated when stopped in normal police road block I had no plates on the last new car. No hassle no question and no mention of any book. But this is Thailand.

3 minutes ago, Gonefortea said:

Seems it's a different system then garage to garage. I got red plates 5000bht deposit no book with plates at all and I have had two new cars sin2ive been here. As stated when stopped in normal police road block I had no plates on the last new car. No hassle no question and no mention of any book. But this is Thailand.

4 new cars in 12 years, all had red plates with log books. Police always asked for the log book.

3 minutes ago, thaifoodruns said:

Yip got a log book as well with my red plates, was also advised to show the log book upon police request, though I never logged anything

yeah I never filled em in either... always played the me no speak or read Thai card and got waved on my way !!

But you are not talking about the current purchase though, it was supplied with white plates.

Edited by Don Mega

yeah I never filled em in either... always played the me no speak or read Thai card and got waved on my way !!

But you are not talking about the current purchase though, it was supplied with white plates.

No it's for the current purchase, I was on red plates for about 2 months, only got white plates 2 weeks ago

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Real red plates have a log book, it is supposed to filled out for each trip.

Also there is driving restrictions with red plates.... something like cannot drive after dark or out of province but am no 100% sure on  that.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/35752-new-car-red-license-plates/

This is a true statement, it have restrictions to other province, only when written new providence location  into the log book that you can drive it in other providence.

3 hours ago, electric said:

Pay 2000 batt you can't choose numbers and by paying 5000 batt you can choose your luck number etc 9999, 8888 and so............( it's only for the deposit of the red plane  ) this is what I have been told last year in the Toyota showroom when I bought a new Toyota truck.

4 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

Never seen or heard of that in all the time I have been in kk. Driven with new car with no plates when stopped at checkpoints never a problem in fact never even been asked for plates or blue book.

Guess you have been lucky.  When I bought my first new car in Thailand i had red plates and had the log book. I was told i have to keep the red plate one the truck asn as said i could not drive at night or leave the province, which i did both and took my chances as you cant stop working just because you have a new car, that you cant drive. Some of the rules in Thailand are just crazy.

4 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

Never seen or heard of that in all the time I have been in kk. Driven with new car with no plates when stopped at checkpoints never a problem in fact never even been asked for plates or blue book.

If you happen to come across the High Way Police road block, driving a new car without a red plane and a log book, you will face the find. For the small city or country side, normally the local  TP will not look into this issue as they are more interesting in our DL, speeding, copy of vehicle book, not drunk....

Some small up country dealerships do not have enough red plates or brown books, if you can manage to stay in province ,you should be OK. Happened to me and the chance of finding the law out when its dark, zilch. 

12 hours ago, electric said:

Yes, absolutely correct. When I had my red plates and log book I never wrote anything in it and nobody seemed to care, but that was at the time a few years ago of the great Thai number plate penury when people were waiting 6 months or more for their white plates. At that time many people drove new cars without any number plates at all as the red ones were all used up also.

15 hours ago, Don Mega said:

4 new cars in 12 years, all had red plates with log books. Police always asked for the log book.

6 cars in our family, all bought new, 3 out of the 6 didn't have red plates and none of the 6 vehicles had a log book with them.

20 minutes ago, nahkit said:

6 cars in our family, all bought new, 3 out of the 6 didn't have red plates and none of the 6 vehicles had a log book with them.

That means 6x illegal.

No exception though, I never had legal red plates as well. Still official red plates are legally required.