In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip

rooster59

In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip

By Jeff Mason and Andreas Rinke

640x640.jpg

U.S. President Donald Trump meets with Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington, U.S. March 17, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The first face-to-face meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and German Chancellor Angela Merkel started awkwardly on Friday and ended even more oddly, with a quip by Trump about wiretapping that left the German leader visibly bewildered.

The two leaders share different views on trade, Russia and immigration, leading to some uncomfortable moments at a joint news conference on Friday in which they took pains to downplay differences that were hard to mask.

Friday's meeting was the first between the new U.S. president and the long-serving stateswoman, who leads Europe's largest economy. It was seen as one that could help determine the future of the transatlantic alliance and shape their working relationship.

Though Merkel appeared relaxed, the body language between them was not especially warm.

Trump and Merkel shook hands when she arrived at the White House but did not do so in the Oval Office where she frequently leaned towards him while he stared straight ahead, sitting with his legs apart and hands together. In the Oval Office both leaders described their meeting in brief remarks to reporters as having been very good.

She began her remarks at the news conference by saying it was better to speak to each other than about each other.

"We held a conversation where we were trying to address also those areas where we disagree, but we tried to bring people together ... (and) tried to find a compromise that is good for both sides," Merkel said.

They shook hands again at the end of the press conference and then exited the East Room together.

Near the start of the news conference, Trump pressed Merkel for Germany to meet NATO's military spending target, and Merkel reiterated her country's commitment to the 2 percent military spending goal.

"I reiterated to Chancellor Merkel my strong support for NATO as well as the need for our NATO allies to pay their fair share for the cost of defence. Many nations owe vast sums of money from past years, and it is very unfair to the United States. These nations must pay what they owe."

Trump also stood by unproven claims that the Obama administration tapped his phones, and expressed solidarity with a surprised Merkel, whose government charged Washington in 2013 may have been spying on her.

“As far as wiretapping, I guess, by this past administration, at least we have something in common perhaps,” Trump said to Merkel, who looked bewildered as she stared back at him from her podium.

In 2013 the German government said it had information that the United States may have monitored Merkel's mobile phone, prompting her to call Obama to demand immediate clarification.

The Republican and Democratic leaders of the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee issued a statement on Thursday rejecting Trump's assertion that the Obama administration conducted surveillance on him.

IMMIGRATION DIFFERENCES

Trump, who as a presidential candidate had criticized Merkel for allowing hundreds of thousands of refugees into Germany, said immigration was a privilege, not a right.

Merkel hinted at differences, saying: "This is obviously something we had an exchange of views about."

The new U.S. president has sought through executive orders to ban people from six Muslim-majority countries temporarily from entering the United States, causing an uproar domestically and internationally among critics.

Aside from business and foreign policy goals, relationship building was an important if less overt agenda item.

Merkel had close relations with Trump's Democratic and Republican predecessors, Obama and George W. Bush, and she is likely to seek a strong working relationship with Trump despite major policy differences and wariness in Germany about the former New York businessman.

"Those who know the chancellor know that she has a knack for winning over people in personal discussions. I am sure that Donald Trump will not be immune," said Juergen Hardt, a conservative lawmaker who helps coordinate transatlantic relations for the German government.

The two also discussed Ukraine and Afghanistan.

Trump said he expected the United States to do "fantastically well" in trade with Germany, while Merkel said she hoped the United States and the European Union could resume discussions on a trade agreement. Trump said he did not believe in isolationism but that trade policy should be fairer.

Before the news conference, Trump and Merkel held a meeting with business leaders from the United States and Germany at the White House.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-18

56 minutes ago, Elkski said:

This just looks so odd. Trump s smirk while dissing someone.  

When did he diss her? He made the quip about the wire-tapping later, but that was more dissing Obama. He's right on some NATO nations not paying their way... many of those same countries are net recipients of the EU 'club' fund. Just not on.

The press conference didn't go too well either. Trump didn't answer a German reporter asking about the wiretapping and said the GCHQ thing came from something heard on FOX.

The conclusion drawn was that the " president was willing to make up a story about his predecessor, then make up a story about another country, all for the purpose of getting himself out of a corner he didn’t like being stuck in.”

The Japanese Prime Minister came to Washington DC, stayed 6 days, spent 2 days at Trump's Summer Retreat. Chancellor Merkel came to the White House, was 20 minutes late, talked about nothing and made no noteworthy imprint in the 3 hours she spent with the President. Who didn't see that coming? 

Just now, stander said:

The Japanese Prime Minister came to Washington DC, stayed 6 days, spent 2 days at Trump's Summer Retreat. Chancellor Merkel came to the White House, was 20 minutes late, talked about nothing and made no noteworthy imprint in the 3 hours she spent with the President. Who didn't see that coming? 

How does that saying go? Oh yes. It takes two to tango. Yet somehow it was Merkel's fault.

Has there been a country leader apart from Abe that has felt comfortable with the huckster. Guess it's all part of making Murica grate again.

Edited by Roadman
Edited for acknowledgment of previous post

4 hours ago, Rhys said:

Beginning to think the last Bush was a great leader, compared to 45.

It's all relative. trump makes even the worse U.S. presidents look better.

Sorry that Merkel had to experience the rude behavior of the current U.S. president. What would have been a glorious and mutually beneficial meeting of highly experienced and competent peers if Hillary Clinton had won, turned into another sad and embarrassing show of the tragically destructive mistake that American voters made in November. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, daveAustin said:

When did he diss her? He made the quip about the wire-tapping later, but that was more dissing Obama. He's right on some NATO nations not paying their way... many of those same countries are net recipients of the EU 'club' fund. Just not on.

Germany in particular, whilst constantly bragging about their wonderful economy and ethical companies (haha VW) have failed to meet their obligated NATO spend commitments.

On this matter, Trump is spot on.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

It's all relative. trump makes even the worse U.S. presidents look better.

Sorry that Merkel had to experience the rude behavior of the current U.S. president. What would have been a glorious and mutually beneficial meeting of highly experienced and competent peers if Hillary Clinton had won, turned into another sad and embarrassing show of the tragically destructive mistake that American voters made in November. 

Hilary and Merkel - nows there's a thought. A crook and a political "sleeper".

5 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

How does that saying go? Oh yes. It takes two to tango. Yet somehow it was Merkel's fault.

Or maybe Trump wasn't impressed when she told him how big she thought the US illegal migrant quota should be!

7 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Or maybe Trump wasn't impressed when she told him how big she thought the US illegal migrant quota should be!

Or maybe he just isn't aware of much as this piece of ignorance demonstrates: 

“Right now, I would say that the negotiators for Germany have done a far better job than the negotiators for the United States,” Mr. Trump said. “But hopefully we can even it out.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/world/europe/angela-merkel-donald-trump.html

5 hours ago, stander said:

Three hours was about two hours and fifty five minutes too long.  I am sure that is what Merkel was thinking.  She really does have better things to do than waste time with an ignorant moron like Trump.  Still she did what she had to do and got out as soon as she could.  After all she has a proper job to do in Germany

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The press conference didn't go too well either. Trump didn't answer a German reporter asking about the wiretapping and said the GCHQ thing came from something heard on FOX.

The conclusion drawn was that the " president was willing to make up a story about his predecessor, then make up a story about another country, all for the purpose of getting himself out of a corner he didn’t like being stuck in.”

This guy is obviously not too good at thinking on his feet, when it comes to real facts, geopolitics, and statesmanship. As many issues as I had with Obama, I was never embarrassed when he was questioned at an event like this. Now? What can one say?

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This guy is obviously not too good at thinking on his feet, when it comes to real facts, geopolitics, and statesmanship. As many issues as I had with Obama, I was never embarrassed when he was questioned at an event like this. Now? What can one say?

Resign?

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Resign?

One can only hope. I do believe there is only a small chance that he will serve out the entire four years. If he is not impeached, he may end up resigning. I just do not think he will be able to handle this for four years. It is going to be infinitely more difficult than that which he bargained for. 

Will President Donald Trump spend four years in the White House? William Hill, whose name adorns the sports book at Monmouth Park, is taking bets. The odds are 11 to 8 on Trump quitting before his term expired, a 42 percent chance. And the odds of loyal Republicans changing their tune and impeaching the controversial president were set at 2 to 1. 

Odds on the businessman-turned-politician getting impeached or resigning before the end of his term of office have halved with Ladbrokes, which opened its market at 2-1 in the wake of his election. The price has since come in to evens. Head of political betting Matt Shaddick said 90 per cent of the bets the bookmaker has taken have been on the Republican not seeing out his full term, with just 10 per cent for the alternative, although it is still a shade of odds on. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-impeachment-odds-inauguration-halved-bookies-latest-money-president-a7535696.html

Obama was a stateman and knew History well. Trump is ignorant- can't deal well with foreign leaders and is an embarassment to the Ameerican people.  Slowly but surely many of his supporters will abandon him when they realize he can't produce on the promises except deporting people.

His proposed budget is a disaster- taking money from poor people to pay for a military buildup. The US already has the largest military budget in the World. How can he possibly justify taking money from the poor and crippling programs dedicated o help them. His Treaury Secretary actually tried to make the argument that cutting the poor out of the budget helped them because they would be forced to do more with what they have.

Good Lord- this is not the America my father fought for in WWII or what I imagined when I had to go to Vietnam in the Army.

Trump will go down in History as the worst President ever....He represents the worst stereo type of Americans as arrogant; ignorant and rude- except in his case it is the truth.

Edited by Thaidream

I think Trump will never actually resign.  That way he would lose face and that would be intolerable for him.

I did bet on Obama winning the first time out and did very well out of it.  This time I didn't have a bet as it seemed wrong to bet on either Trump or Clinton.  Both fell well short of what a President should be but Trump certainly exceeds ALL expectations!

Today he is tweeting that Germany owes NATO big time for the protection the USA provides. Who protects the other countries in NATO from this compulsive lier.  We are obligated to go to war under Article 5 if a member country is attacked. How long is it going to take this imbecile to stumble into something that triggers it? I think it is in the best interests of the other members like my homeland to go it alone or in a newly constructed alliance without the war monger Americans. The fact is Canada has only been attacked  once and that was by the Americans and they are likely the only ones that would do it again. Same goes for trade. We changed our economy to adapt to NAFTA now the goof wants to rip it up. Countries like mine are much better off dealing with the Chinese as they are much more sensible people. 

Wonder why Trump bothered to meet Merkel. Wouldn't shake her hand. Talked about his domestic problems during their joint news conference. Could he be more unprofessional and disrespectful. What a Knob!