Swift Transfer

I authorised Nationwide Building Society (England) to transfer money to my wife's account at) Siam Commercial Bank. After two weeks no money had arrived and her bank branch said their Head Office had no record of the money arriving. Nationwide said the money was debited from my account on the date requested and they would put a trace on the transfer. That was over two weeks ago and despite two emails to Nationwide, I have heard nothing. Has anyone got any comments or advice on this issue.

Swift TT's going missing are quite a frequent occurence.

Lop gave good advice.

Call them , get the persons name you are talking to, and have them call you back with the information they discover..

If you are put through to a call centre that is not in UK good luck.

Cheers

SWIFT

i am using SWIFT since more than 15 years to transfer funds. during the last two years at least a dozen transfers to my bank in Thailand. money is credited within 24 hours. never had any problems. SWIFT transfers have tracking codes so it's quite easy to find out where the problem is.

K.Wife already taken 3 calls this morning from her mates over here who want to transfer dosh over before Xmas (been watching the news) and she uses N/W without any problems....ATMs I should add not swift....

Her nieces have 3 flex cards over there and they simply withdraw 60k at a time and whack it into Soms -Leks or Noks mums account in our local Sam Prat BB branch and they have it next day....

mai peng....

re: your prob.... dont hang about give them an ear full ...its YOUR £££........good luck..

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/about_nationwi...aboutnationwide

I had a similar problem a few years back with a money transfer to Thailand.

I chased up the sending bank. It took a couple of weeks for the hiccup to be sorted. The receiving bank had mistaken a number 6 for the number 0 in the Thai account number.

Keep asking Nationwide to resolve the problem.

Same problem a few months ago with HSBC from UK to Thailand.

Get a copy of the transfer details from them and check very carefully that names are spelt correctly.

ALSO always do it at the branch, never ever via call centres

As mine is a joint account, they had transferred it in my wifes name so the banks there had no record of XX baht from myself to that account

I authorised Nationwide Building Society (England) to transfer money to my wife's account at) Siam Commercial Bank. After two weeks no money had arrived and her bank branch said their Head Office had no record of the money arriving. Nationwide said the money was debited from my account on the date requested and they would put a trace on the transfer. That was over two weeks ago and despite two emails to Nationwide, I have heard nothing. Has anyone got any comments or advice on this issue.

comment :

Nationwide B.S have the very highest reputation and credentials. It is absolutely certain that you will not lose out a penny (other than possible interest loss).

The problem is clearly their correspondent bank in Thailand which is snowed under due to the recent controls which mandate a 30 PERCENT witholding for larger amounts (Bt 700,000 plus ?)

Tip for the future : open a second N/W a/c and obtain a N/W cash card which is free. Put money in the second a/c as and when you wish then post the cash card to your wife. Tell her the password no and she can withdraw monies commission free in baht at any ATM in Thailand without fee.

NB THIS IS NOT AN AUTHORISED OR RECOGNISED WAY TO TRANSFER MONEY .i IT IS UNOFFICIAL

Some time I transferred a fair amount from my local U.K. N.Wide bank.

It was missing for a couple of weeks.

During this time I got confirmation that it had been sent o.k. and they provided me with information to check out.

The local bank kept saying that no money had been received and i was going back and forth on a daily basis.

It eventually was found in the local bank sitting in the in tray of one of the cashier / supervisors. ( NO appols ???)

It had been there since the 3rd day of sending.

For my 2 penneth i would always confirm it with the U.K. sending centre, via internet banking messaging if you have an online acc. and cannot physically check it out.

When confirmed do a thorough check at the Thai end and see the head / branch manager if you are constantly being fobbed off with whoever just inclined to sit on their backsides.

Our local manager is very good and he advised me to do this in future so he could personally look into it.

The woman on reception kept telling me it had not got to the bank and it got a bit hostile unfortunately due to our frustrations, eventually she got fed up and went to the first supy. who immediatlely told her which desk had it.

Had she walked down the line of supervisors and physically checked the in trays it would have been found and sorted.

I,d asked her to do this on day one by the way ?????

The good thing about it was that the exchange rate had increased by 2 and a bit baht to the pound so it was a fair amount of extra dosh.

Mistakes happen so stay cool if it,s possible. ( not easy when a substancial amount has gone astray )

I still gave her a bag of nice biscuits to put the smile back on her face and restored her loss of face. :D

I was, after just all relieved to find my swift transfer so we both had the smile and goodwill restored.

marshbags :o

P.S.

In 14 plus years i have no reason to complain about N.Wide and can only praise them. ( touch wood )

Edited by marshbags

Tell her the password no and she can withdraw monies commission free in baht at any ATM in Thailand without fee.

NB THIS IS NOT AN AUTHORISED OR RECOGNISED WAY TO TRANSFER MONEY .i IT IS UNOFFICIAL

not authorised...SAYs WHO. :o

been doing this for years and never paid anything in transaction,conversion or wee add on fees on like most of the big "respectable" Gangster Banks...

Swift TT's going missing are quite a frequent occurence.

Lop gave good advice.

Call them , get the persons name you are talking to, and have them call you back with the information they discover..

If you are put through to a call centre that is not in UK good luck.

Cheers

And the source(s) of your enlightening comment is ............. ? :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

I still gave her a bag of nice biscuits to put the smile back on her face and restored her loss of face. :o

Oh, so that’s why I got a bag of biscuits from the customer relations lady of my bank. And I thought she fancied me :D (She got the Foreign Exchange Transaction Form wrong and was set straight after I had cajoled her into calling her head office)

--

Maestro

I had a similar problem a few years back with a money transfer to Thailand...It took a couple of weeks for the hiccup to be sorted. The receiving bank had mistaken a number 6 for the number 0 in the Thai account number.

With a SWIFT transfer you have the sender’s bank talking to the beneficiary’s bank. With the right kind of software the beneficiary’s bank’s computer would automatically credit the beneficiary’s account. This can of course not be done in a country where the foreign exchange rules are rather convoluted and can get changed at a moment’s notice. Here, you need human intervention to credit the beneficiary’s account.

--

Maestro

I still gave her a bag of nice biscuits to put the smile back on her face and restored her loss of face. :D

Oh, so that’s why I got a bag of biscuits from the customer relations lady of my bank. And I thought she fancied me :D (She got the Foreign Exchange Transaction Form wrong and was set straight after I had cajoled her into calling her head office)

--

Maestro

I,m pleased she put them to good use and passed on the feel good factor after having a few herself. :o

On a more serious note may i refer to your next post to Farma which makes a very important point on how to respond in a positive way.

Quote:-

With a SWIFT transfer you have the sender’s bank talking to the beneficiary’s bank. With the right kind of software the beneficiary’s bank’s computer would automatically credit the beneficiary’s account. This can of course not be done in a country where the foreign exchange rules are rather convoluted and can get changed at a moment’s notice. Here, you need human intervention to credit the beneficiary’s account.

Unquote.

It is more often than not a human error and it is how you react / intervene especially in Thailand that counts.

( not meant to be cynical just the way it is. )

Like yourself i use the diplomatic / friendly approach, even more so when frustrated by not getting the message across.

Unfortunately with the best will in the world it sometimes gets a little out of hand and then obviously you,ve lost your point with the authority.

Try as i may i couldn,t get her to move away from the robotic mode she was in with the computer.

Hence she didn,t locate the relevant transfer details as they hadn,t been entered into my history on screen.

Like yourself i believe in thinking about the next person who she deals with and her possible resentment.

Hence the bikkies and leaving her in a positive, happy mood and hopefully a little wiser on not believing just what is on the computer.

It obviously worked as she shared them with you and physically took the advise you offered on board and called head office to check.

Nice one, and a good point, even if the bikkie bit didn,t take place. :D

marshbags :D

P.S.

I was relieved that it was your sort of response as when i typed what i had done i was thinking some negative person is probably going to say I was wrong to do this.

Thanks Maestro, I hope you all enjoy the holiday period and you all come out of it safe and happy when it ends.

Edited by marshbags

I have given my wife my nationwide flexaccount card in order to transfer money whilst im in the Uk.

All worked well until today.

She withdrew 11000 baht from her local bangkok bank atm and for some reason it only gave her 8000 baht with receipt for 8000.She then withdrew the missing 3000 seperately afterwards.She telephoned me to tell me what hapended and on checking online approximately 14000baht (200 pounds) has been taken off the available balance.

It takes about 2-3 days to update the statement online to show the specific amounts and exchange rate but i fear im going to have a hel_l of a battle to get this missing 3000 back.

any advice welcome

Edited by parryhandy

No problem. She asked for the amount and it was approved but ATM (payday now) did not have the cash - receipt confirms the correct amount if it is ever needed but I suspect your bank will show the current amount when the transaction clears. If not a call to your bank and filling out a form should resolve the matter in short order. Have her keep the receipt just in case.

thanks for the quick reply

your explanation sounds spot on ,after further questioning the wife said it made some funny noises on the first transaction and gave her 8x1000 baht notes but on the second withdrawal (3000) gave her 6x500 baht notes

cheers

Edited by parryhandy