Police Check

senoremac

12 hours ago, Johpa said:

More likely that it is not a coincidence that the increase in road checkpoints coincided with the clampdown on the nightlife venues in Chiang Mai. No need to bring up BIB from Bangkok, just the local commanders replacing a lost source of revenue with a new source.

The local commanders? You mean the Lt Cols, Lt Gens, Major Gens etc :cheesy:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, lanng khao said:

I got stopped on sukhumvit, had to give a sample, while their back was turned I grabbed it off the table and legged it down Soi 11, they chased me and caught me,needless to say I  got charged then with taking the piss..

How did they manage to catch you? You could not have been a very fast runner.

Can you imagine a BiB running while wearing these tight drawers (trousers)? :cheesy:

>>Presumably checking the tattoos was not to appreciate their artistic merit- but to check you did not have images of the Buddha on your biceps etc. <<

Is that against the law ?News to me if so .

Anyone stopped and asked for a urine test should at least ask if they have a warrant (bai sang). They should need a warrant unless you look to be noticeably under the influence, then they maybe still need one.

How did they manage to catch you? You could not have been a very fast runner.
Can you imagine a BiB running while wearing these tight drawers (trousers)? :cheesy:

You try running in Stilettos

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Checkpoint near governors residence last week, Chinese couple with helmets approached, 5 police all excited crying "China, China" wonder why they got so excited.

The couple slipped by before they could be flagged down.

1 hour ago, piewarmer said:

Checkpoint near governors residence last week, Chinese couple with helmets approached, 5 police all excited crying "China, China" wonder why they got so excited.

The couple slipped by before they could be flagged down.

Big money.  Chinese guy dropped his big bike into my truck door when I was stopped at a red light.  Short discussion and I had 5,000 baht of his money in my pocket.  Dent in my rocker panel is so small it will probably not be repaired.

Urine check points started appearing before songkran on non highway and minor village roads in my area over near Ubon/Sisaket. They were stopping everyone, asking where they were from and most male drivers were being tested. I've always been waved through after a few questions.

They definitely didn't have warrants. They were large well manned operations with officers in charge and located remotely between villages.

16 hours ago, Farma said:

Urine check points started appearing before songkran on non highway and minor village roads in my area over near Ubon/Sisaket. They were stopping everyone, asking where they were from and most male drivers were being tested. I've always been waved through after a few questions.

They definitely didn't have warrants. They were large well manned operations with officers in charge and located remotely between villages.

This is Thailand they dont need warrants.  Checkpoints in Thailand are common, when holidays come around they step things up (they need their holiday money). Drive near a boarder and you will run into military check points. I never seen a urine test at a check point, so that is new. Sometimes they stop me but most of the time they pass me through. Best was when I was going to Surin from Cha am, about 2-3 am on hwy 24 I get stopped.  The guy was nice but asking for tea money, I gave him 200B he looks inside sees my wife, her sister and three kids looks at me and gives me back 100B. 

Most of the time in Isaan they see an expat by himself they pass you through as most of them cant speak any English.  

On 5/24/2017 at 11:18 PM, senoremac said:

Not a police stop, a police background check.

completely different from what everyone including me thought.  Again it would be good if you could give a little more information, is this background check for a job? Who said you needed a drug test, police, employer?

• 4 weeks later...

Less than 5 minutes ago just watched a BiB, (not the one who is usually there), just down from the Red Lion, get 300 Bhat from a Thai lady pillion rider.

Farang was driving, lady as passenger (with helmets), came straight across the Loi Khroi/Night Bazaar cross road, against the rules and stopped by the Bib-quite correctly.

Thai lady hands over two cards, I assume driving licence and ID card and reaches into purse after a very short discussion and slowly counts out 3 x 100Baht notes.  No receipt, just smiles and Wahs all round and a big wink and smile from the Thai lady who could see that I saw it all.

It was all so quick I could net get a photo without them all knowing as it was in full sight of all in the area.

54 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Wow, stunning, keep up the good undercover reporting Scottie.  Soon you will qualify for the Dick Tracy Honors Badge.

Comments like yours deserve to get you a 'dick' of the year award! I suggest you try and 'read between the lines'. We all know it goes on and have all been involved in this scam one way or another.

I posted because It was unusual as it was not the normal BiB for that patch who has been there for years.  This guy was a bit further up the road than normal. 

This was not a  'folded note' between the licences or discreet 'talk to the  Lieutenant' where we don't know what goes on! It took less than 60 seconds and in full view of all. Also the look on the Thai ladies face was priceless and said it all.

Edited by scottiejohn
edit

On 5/17/2017 at 8:29 PM, Dante99 said:

Big money.  Chinese guy dropped his big bike into my truck door when I was stopped at a red light.  Short discussion and I had 5,000 baht of his money in my pocket.  Dent in my rocker panel is so small it will probably not be repaired.

You were asking for it ?Did you show him your weapon ?

Edited by anto

On 6/23/2017 at 6:44 AM, scottiejohn said:

Less than 5 minutes ago just watched a BiB, (not the one who is usually there), just down from the Red Lion, get 300 Bhat from a Thai lady pillion rider.

Farang was driving, lady as passenger (with helmets), came straight across the Loi Khroi/Night Bazaar cross road, against the rules and stopped by the Bib-quite correctly.

Thai lady hands over two cards, I assume driving licence and ID card and reaches into purse after a very short discussion and slowly counts out 3 x 100Baht notes.  No receipt, just smiles and Wahs all round and a big wink and smile from the Thai lady who could see that I saw it all.

It was all so quick I could net get a photo without them all knowing as it was in full sight of all in the area.

Your new here, so this happens all the time right in front of everyone. I have been stopped for no reason at all and out right asked for "tea money"  this is Thailand.   

On 6/25/2017 at 1:19 AM, DonDoRondo said:

They appear to be here to stay.  Now if they would start hassling the people driving vehicles that spew out black diesel smoke, I could get behind that.

Nooooooooooooo...!   :)  

Motorbikes only please.  And then only if Farangs or Chinese on them. 

On 6/23/2017 at 5:44 PM, scottiejohn said:

A guy who lives here and should know better, told me recently how a visitor friend of his was stopped just past the Red Lion by the cop that seems to be there most days of the week. He said he was asking for 1,000b for him having driven across the intersection nr. Mc Donalds, so he 'helped' his friend by negotiating him down to 500B!!

I don't mind so much people being fined for not complying with the law, and  the cop maybe pocketing the odd fine,  but when they go this far ........  it's called Highway Robbery.  He's a disgrace to the uniform.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

On 5/16/2017 at 9:55 PM, Monkeyrobot said:

as for the urine they do in most western countries especially if your eye balls are popping out of your head and you are talking jiberish. 

Unless the USA has changed, I never recall them doing a urine test. If suspected of driving under the influence you'll have to submit first to a roadside sobriety test. If the officer feels you have failed that then you will submit to a breathalyzer but you can refuse and have a blood test done. Of course you can refuse all but doing so means that you then volunteer to have your license restricted for perhaps a year (norm).

On 5/18/2017 at 10:47 PM, ericthai said:

This is Thailand they dont need warrants.  Checkpoints in Thailand are common, when holidays come around they step things up (they need their holiday money). Drive near a boarder and you will run into military check points. I never seen a urine test at a check point, so that is new. Sometimes they stop me but most of the time they pass me through. Best was when I was going to Surin from Cha am, about 2-3 am on hwy 24 I get stopped.  The guy was nice but asking for tea money, I gave him 200B he looks inside sees my wife, her sister and three kids looks at me and gives me back 100B. 

Most of the time in Isaan they see an expat by himself they pass you through as most of them cant speak any English.  

Hwy 24 is notorious for having late night (early morning) check points. And during the daytime they are out in full fashion with the cameras catching speeders. I hate to admit it but their English seems to have gotten better over the last few years.