Ben's Cookies to open soon in Bangkok

webfact

Ben's Cookies to open soon in Bangkok

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

18670894_1455680951157412_48658519454088  

A promotional image teasing the British cookie-maker’s plans to open in Bangkok. Photo: Ben’s Cookies / Facebook

BANGKOK — An English cookie company announced its next international branch will open in Bangkok to the delight of dessert fans.

In a post on their Facebook page Friday night, Ben’s Cookies posted several photos of Ben’s Cookies being held up to the Bangkok skyline, captioned “Can you guess where we’re opening very soon?”

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/food/2017/05/29/bens-cookies-open-soon-bangkok/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-05-29

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Looks bad if that is their promotional image... with the dirty damp concrete and depressing landscape.. and that boring looking biscuit. 

Also... I am British and NEVER heard of this 'famous' Ben's cookies.

Agreed - and I was in the Covered Market buying a joint of beef only 2 weeks ago !

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

Ben's - their mission statement - to provide healthy vitamin packed delicious cookies- and help fight the wave of obesity across the planet.

As others say- a world famous brand?? 

lol that's hilarious! Fight the wave of obesity across the planet by feeding peeps cookies. Sugar is the main contributing factor to obesity. "Vitamin packed cookies" - do they put a multivitamin tablet in each cookie?

Expect the usual madness of people  queuing  up for up to 2 hours the first few days so that they can boast they have tried them.

Just like Garrets, Krispy Kreme, Mr. Bun and all the other brands.

I was at Siam Paragon on the ground floor today, and saw the signage there for the shop, not far from the Au Bon Pain shop, that I guess is going to be "Ben's Cookies."  Never heard of the brand before myself either (although I'm not a Brit).

But I will note, the Mrs. Fields gourmet cookies chain from the U.S. in recent years established a number of outlets in BKK including at CentralWorld. And then within the past year, I believe most or all of them have just disappeared, certainly including the one at CentralWorld.  There was another at Mega Bangna... Not sure of the status of that one.

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

lol that's hilarious! Fight the wave of obesity across the planet by feeding peeps cookies. Sugar is the main contributing factor to obesity. "Vitamin packed cookies" - do they put a multivitamin tablet in each cookie?

S&P bakery sells red bread for sandwiches which has beetroot in it...they also have a green one made from spinach.

I never heard of Ben's cookies but if they produce loads of cookies every day and sell them for a reasonable price i think they have a big market. There are no good cookies in Thailand, not for a reasonable price. The bakeries have cookies but for 20+ baht a piece. That's not too high but for the quality/ingredients used it's just too much.

I hope they can bake good cookies from Thai ingredients like nuts/dried fruit and so.

9 hours ago, fruitman said:

There are no good cookies in Thailand, not for a reasonable price.

I hope they can bake good cookies from Thai ingredients like nuts/dried fruit and so

In the absence of an oven to make my own favorite Quaker recipe oatmeal raisin cookies, here's a pretty decent alternative:

Merba-White-Chocolate-Cranberry-Cookies-200-g-_13078_1.jpg

Other than Maurice Lennel cookies my grandparents used to bring home in Chicago (they bought bags of broken cookies fresh from the factory), these are the best packaged cookies I recall.  The best I've tried in Asia.  Around 130 baht a bag, so not cheap, but great.  Too sweet for many people...

10 hours ago, impulse said:

In the absence of an oven to make my own favorite Quaker recipe oatmeal raisin cookies, here's a pretty decent alternative:

Other than Maurice Lennel cookies my grandparents used to bring home in Chicago (they bought bags of broken cookies fresh from the factory), these are the best packaged cookies I recall.  The best I've tried in Asia.  Around 130 baht a bag, so not cheap, but great.  Too sweet for many people...

Those cookies look factorymade (which baker has a machine to pack like this?) and if i see those in Villa Market i expect them to cost around 200 baht plus, which is too much.

In Thailand a bag full of freshly baked cookies like in this picture should cost around 100-120 baht and have a branch in every big mall. 

Also there's room for good snackshops in Thailand. Just like in Tokyo, huge shops loaded with boxes full of snacks...Those shops in tokyo are full of thai customers.

On 5/30/2017 at 6:06 PM, impulse said:

I was in Central Food Hall at CentralWorld yesterday, and noticed that they have all varieties of this brand Merba (or whatever) from the Netherlands on sale for 99 baht per bag, regular 129 or 139b.

However, I just opened the bag I bought and tried one. Found them kind of dry and tasteless. For my money, among the bagged varieties at the stores, the Pepperidge Farm soft-baked varieties are FAR better.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I was in Central Food Hall at CentralWorld yesterday, and noticed that they have all varieties of this brand Merba (or whatever) from the Netherlands on sale for 99 baht per bag, regular 129 or 139b.

However, I just opened the bag I bought and tried one. Found them kind of dry and tasteless. For my money, among the bagged varieties at the stores, the Pepperidge Farm soft-baked varieties are FAR better.

I tried several varieties of the Merba cookies and found the cranberry/white chocolate to be the only flavor I really like. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I tried several varieties of the Merba cookies and found the cranberry/white chocolate to be the only flavor I really like. 

I bought the chocolate chip/hazelnut variety, just FYI, and they were pretty dry and unpleasant. I wouldn't buy those again.

12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What happened to Fuddruckers from the US? They were supposed to be opening in Bangkok.

The branch in Nashville had the best meal I have ever had.

IMO, the best burger franchise in the USA.  Good question.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2017 at 4:57 PM, AhFarangJa said:

If this price list is anything to go by then I will be giving them a wide berth.......

Image result for Ben's cookies

I had to do a double take on the price list, but then I remembered the dismal state of the pound renders these prices pretty much in the middle ground here. 

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's what they are called.

Similar to those Pink Pvssy shops in Thailand. I always like to translate it into Thai when I pass one of them "hee sii chompuu" :smile: