Travel Insurance From Home

tuktukracer

Hi Everyone.

I am a brit, 30 years of age with no medical conditions that I am aware of (touch wood). I stay in the country about 10 months of the year.

We never know what the future holds in store for us health-wise so I think it would be wise for for me and anyone staying here long-term to get health insurance (unless you have a few million baht in the bank which you're happy to part with in the event of sickness). The travel insurance plans offered by UK AXA Insurance company have what seems to be a perfect plan for under 35s staying overseas long term; see here : http://www.travel-insurance-online.com/index.php (thru agent). It's only GBP 214.49 for a whole year. The cover seems far more comprehensive than BUPA Blue cross or AIA.

Am I missing something here? I can't find anything that says you have to be resident in the UK for more than a certain period of time to qualify for this travel plan (nor similar ones).

Would appreciate anyones comments or what is best - Travel Insurance from your respective country or a Thai policy? If a Thai policy - which would company would you recommend. I've seen a few postings re. BUPA, which sounds ok'ish but not a lot on AIA which I've heard is probably the better of the two from just chatting to people around town.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The policy wording for the three policies in that link state you have to be a permanent resident in the UK. I think that if you are out of the country for 10 months, you're not resident.

Tom

EDIT > hang on, which country do you stay in for 10 months?

Edited by tom579

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Everyone.

I am a brit, 30 years of age with no medical conditions that I am aware of (touch wood). I stay in the country about 10 months of the year.

We never know what the future holds in store for us health-wise so I think it would be wise for for me and anyone staying here long-term to get health insurance (unless you have a few million baht in the bank which you're happy to part with in the event of sickness). The travel insurance plans offered by UK AXA Insurance company have what seems to be a perfect plan for under 35s staying overseas long term; see here : http://www.travel-insurance-online.com/index.php (thru agent). It's only GBP 214.49 for a whole year. The cover seems far more comprehensive than BUPA Blue cross or AIA.

Am I missing something here? I can't find anything that says you have to be resident in the UK for more than a certain period of time to qualify for this travel plan (nor similar ones).

Would appreciate anyones comments or what is best - Travel Insurance from your respective country or a Thai policy? If a Thai policy - which would company would you recommend. I've seen a few postings re. BUPA, which sounds ok'ish but not a lot on AIA which I've heard is probably the better of the two from just chatting to people around town.

Many thanks!

I also took out travel insurance to cover my health needs while living in Thailand - it covers me for a trip of up to 364 days. Technically (and as the name of the cover clearly implies) it IS only for travel from the UK to another destination for up to that period. I'm just 5 months into it, but I anticipate that I will need to return to the UK within (at the end of) that 364 day period. As it happens, I still have a UK address - albeit rented out while I'm away - so I guess I fall into a grey area of still being thought of as UK resident......... I'm just not there :o

When I took out the cover, I discussed my status (i.e. that I was effectively going to be living full-time in Thailand) with the agent over the 'phone and he realised what I was describing but was quite clear that the policy was valid and appropriate for me. Certainly the level of health cover on my policy seems to be way above what you see offered by Thai-based insurance companies - not to mention the travel losses cover that comes with it.

i am 44 and living in Thailand

Any suggestions for Insurance?

also took out travel insurance to cover my health needs while living in Thailand - it covers me for a trip of up to 364 days. Technically (and as the name of the cover clearly implies) it IS only for travel from the UK to another destination for up to that period. I'm just 5 months into it, but I anticipate that I will need to return to the UK within (at the end of) that 364 day period. As it happens, I still have a UK address - albeit rented out while I'm away - so I guess I fall into a grey area of still being thought of as UK resident......... I'm just not there :o

When I took out the cover, I discussed my status (i.e. that I was effectively going to be living full-time in Thailand) with the agent over the 'phone and he realised what I was describing but was quite clear that the policy was valid and appropriate for me. Certainly the level of health cover on my policy seems to be way above what you see offered by Thai-based insurance companies - not to mention the travel losses cover that comes with it.