Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

On 2017-6-24 at 0:29 AM, Bluespunk said:

He failed to stop, continued his reckless driving and killed two people. 

That's reality. 

Now, I'm taking the doc's advice...

But if the Thai drove correctly she and the kids would be alive today.Neglegence from both parties.We all see this ever day,accidents waiting to happen,by the thousands.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

But if the Thai drove correctly she and the kids would be alive today.Neglegence from both parties.We all see this ever day,accidents waiting to happen,by the thousands.

If the man had not driven in a reckless manner no one would have died. 

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If the man had not driven in a reckless manner no one would have died. 

She has to be held partly responsible for not making sure that A it was safe to cross in that location, and B the road was absolutely clear. It's not like it was impossible for a speeding Thai driver to come around that bend.

On 2017-6-22 at 8:55 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You actually believe that it is quite right and somehow justifiable that if you are culpable of killing someone on the road, it does not deserve a jail sentence ......... really ?? ........ how sad 

When in Rome ect.If you could pay 1 mill baht and not go to jail,wouldn't you do so.Thais think different on this subject.You are no good to anybody in jail.The family would rather have a mill than you in jail.As long as it was an accident everybody wins,except the dead,who are gone either way.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

She has to be held partly responsible for not making sure that A it was safe to cross in that location, and B the road was absolutely clear. It's not like it was impossible for a speeding Thai driver to come around that bend.

He should never have been there. A responsible driver would not have continued driving after the first accident. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Just now, Bluespunk said:

He should never have been there. A responsible driver would not have continued driving after the first accident. 

Are you still playing that silly game? If his pickup had a flat battery he wouldn't have been there either. The fact of the matter is that circumstances brought them both together at that fatal moment, the whys and wherefores are pointless.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are you still playing that silly game? If his pickup had a flat battery he wouldn't have been there either. The fact of the matter is that circumstances brought them both together at that fatal moment, the whys and wherefores are pointless.

You may consider it a silly game. 

I consider it a fact. 

The circumstsnces that brought them together was his reckless driving that led to two accidents. 

Edited by Bluespunk

On 2017-6-22 at 9:30 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Nobody wants to have a road accident, but what if, heaven forbid, one of your kids was killed on the road by someone driving dangerously or under the influence of alcohol or drugs; would you not want that person to serve a considerable custodial sentence, or would financial compensation satisfy you ??

Doesn't do me any good having him in jail,but a mill baht could help people a great deal in life.Sure he could do it again,but some education and community work would help that.Ask the Thai's which way they would go and you will only get one answer.

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yeah but she's dead... Can't exactly drag her to court anymore can you. If both are at fault and only 1 party is still alive, you can obviously charge the guy with relevant crimes, which include possible speeding, intoxication and fleeing from police. I don't understand why people on here are trying to defend him. 

2 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Doesn't do me any good having him in jail,but a mill baht could help people a great deal in life.Sure he could do it again,but some education and community work would help that.Ask the Thai's which way they would go and you will only get one answer.

It seems some wouldn't be happy with anything less than a lengthy custodial sentence, even though we both know that's not how things are done in Thailand. They'd have to be building a lot more jails if that same rule was applied to all Thais.

1 minute ago, JustNo said:

Yeah but she's dead... Can't exactly drag her to court anymore can you. If both are at fault and only 1 party is still alive, you can obviously charge the guy with relevant crimes, which include possible speeding, intoxication and fleeing from police. I don't understand why people on here are trying to defend him. 

I'm certainly not trying to defend him, but I do believe the motorbike was partly responsible. That was obviously a bad place to cross and the result would probably have been the same if a speeding Thai motorist had come around that bend. Thousands die on Thai roads as a direct result of inattention, flaunting of road rules, reckless behaviour etc.

I'm certainly not trying to defend him, but I do believe the motorbike was partly responsible. That was obviously a bad place to cross and the result would probably have been the same if a speeding Thai motorist had come around that bend. Thousands die on Thai roads as a direct result of inattention, flaunting of road rules, reckless behaviour etc.

Yes you are defending him. In every thread you post in where we have a farang involved in accidents you always blame the Thais. It's easy to blame the Thais because they do not have good enough education, not wearing helmets, not using their brain etc.

In this case we have a video and we know for a fact the Aussie had mental problems, he hit cars minutes before he killed the family and were trying to escape . The video is an example of how not to drive a car in Thailand or anywhere else.

1 hour ago, bannork said:

He was speeding, attempting to flee the cops. They should have shot him as he requested after catching him.

What and spoil all the fun for the TV accident investigation experts. 

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

When in Rome ect.If you could pay 1 mill baht and not go to jail,wouldn't you do so.Thais think different on this subject.You are no good to anybody in jail.The family would rather have a mill than you in jail.As long as it was an accident everybody wins,except the dead,who are gone either way.

With respect, I do not need edification from you as to how things work in Thailand, I live here, I am married to a Thai lady and I have many Thai friends. If someone is culpable of killing another human being through reckless or drunken driving, they should serve a prison sentence. They should also pay the victim’s family compensation, the amount decided by a Judge or an arbitration panel.

What is ethically unacceptable and morally reprehensible, is that anyone, be they Thai or farang, think that just because a family is financially poor, that they can buy their way out of a justifiable custodial sentence if they have killed a member of that family through reckless or drunken driving; this mindset cannot be right, and anyone that thinks this way needs to recalibrate their moral compass ……… in my opinion

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

My comment that you made this quote on, was a reply to another farang and not to a Thai, so please stay relevant and make comments within the context of the quote you are responding to.

I have many Thai friends that enjoy a reasonable standard of living, and when I asked them, they all said that they would want a custodial sentence in such circumstances, so don't make sweeping generalisations about Thai people with "you will only get one answer"  ……

you said “Sure he could do it again,but some education and community work would help that" ……. I assume that's an attempt at humour ?? ✌️✌️

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim

42 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

With respect, I do not need edification from you as to how things work in Thailand, I live here, I am married to a Thai lady and I have many Thai friends. If someone is culpable of killing another human being through reckless or drunken driving, they should serve a prison sentence. They should also pay the victim’s family compensation, the amount decided by a Judge or an arbitration panel.

What is ethically unacceptable and morally reprehensible, is that anyone, be they Thai or farang, think that just because a family is financially poor, that they can buy their way out of a justifiable custodial sentence if they have killed a member of that family through reckless or drunken driving; this mindset cannot be right, and anyone that thinks this way needs to recalibrate their moral compass ……… in my opinion

Can't recall any case in recent history where a Thai went to jail for causing a death by reckless driving. It may well be the right thing to do, whether it happens or not is another story.

Edited by giddyup

Watched the vid a few times.

I notice that the poor lady pulled into the path of the pick-up before noticing that she couldn't get across due to a bike coming from her left. When she looked over to her left her view of the bike was impaired by the light coloured pick-up which is in front of the Oz one. She almost came to a stop. He looks to be going too fast. Didn't try to slow up. In fact he nearly lost it half way round the bend.

Whether he was in fact speeding we don't know but speed limits have little to do with driving at a speed which is safe.

At the time of the collision there are no police cars anywhere near.

40 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Everything you say tells me that you are little changed by your time in Thailand or the myriad of Thais you say you have around you.  Not, an uncommon trait for those who purport to own the moral high ground in any country.  If you were to climb down from your false mantle and actually listen to Thais, you will see that louse1953 is more in turn with Thai culture that you.  Just locking someone up in jail is of no use to the family, what they want is for the culprit to stand and face the whole family, show humbly respect, be honest with remorse and, to make financial retribution.  Be edified!

This was clearly an accident he was trying to outrun the police not kill anyone. He should get bail become a monk and drag the court case out for the next 7 years.. then pay the family 100,000b compensation. 

Oh and he has a case to claim mental illness. If anything we should feel sorry for the guy driving the car as he thought the devil was chasing him that's why he ran. Mental Illness. Like the lady BMW driver high on Yabba that hit 8 or so cars in BKk. 

Edited by wow64

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I don't understand your logic at all.

if he had done the right thing and stopped to report the first 2 collisions people (including the police) would most likely have identified his distressed state of mind and may have even stopped him temporarily from driving any further. At the very least he would have had the opportunity to calm down.

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Watched the vid a few times.

I notice that the poor lady pulled into the path of the pick-up before noticing that she couldn't get across due to a bike coming from her left. When she looked over to her left her view of the bike was impaired by the light coloured pick-up which is in front of the Oz one. She almost came to a stop. He looks to be going too fast. Didn't try to slow up. In fact he nearly lost it half way round the bend.

Whether he was in fact speeding we don't know but speed limits have little to do with driving at a speed which is safe.

At the time of the collision there are no police cars anywhere near.

A similar comment from myself much earlier in discussions regarding pulling into high speed traffic without due care and with nowhere to go once out there, a disaster in the making. 

28 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can't recall any case in recent history where a Thai went to jail for causing a death by reckless driving. It may well be the right thing to do, whether it happens or not is another story.

Virtually everyone on TvisaF would want BOSS to do bird. His driving seemed more than reckless.

This OZ was driving too fast for the road conditions and the local environment considerations.

Edited by owl sees all

8 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

I don't understand your logic at all.

if he had done the right thing and stopped to report the first 2 collisions people (including the police) would most likely have identified his distressed state of mind and may have even stopped him temporarily from driving any further. At the very least he would have had the opportunity to calm down.

If, if, if, if he hadn't come to Thailand.......

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Virtually everyone on TvisaF would want BOSS to do bird. His driving seemed more than reckless.

This OZ was driving too fast for the road conditions and the local environment.

He wasn't driving too fast for the environment.. he was in a police chase. 

2 minutes ago, wow64 said:

He wasn't driving too fast for the environment.. he was in a police chase.

Of course he was driving too fast. There were bikes everywhere and a right turn to negotiate.

Edited by owl sees all

5 minutes ago, namoi said:

I am still waiting for him to give us his side of the story, maybe he is one of the bleeding hearts on here arguing that the deceased was totally to blame

Think you're in for a long wait. 

21 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Of course he was driving too fast. There were bikes everywhere and a right turn to negotiate.

I think he was joking saying that he was in the midst of a police chase, so it was warranted in driving fast; humour