Shipping motorcycle from Pattaya to Phuket, and back.

ehs818

I'm going to exchange motorbikes with a friend that lives in Phuket. I'll send him my bike, he will send me his. Anyone have any suggestions for getting these bikes shipped in both directions? And do you have any idea about the costs? I think that this can be done by bus or train.  Thanks for your information in advance.

Why don't you each drive half way,  (Hua Hin?) swap bikes and return?

The fuel probably the cheapest option and you know the bikes are looked after.

An overnight in a hotel perhaps?

Just my 2 Baht's worth..... 

As colinneil said, Thailand Post.  I sent a pcx 150 from phuket to pattaya a yr or so ago.  Cost around 2800 baht and took 2-3 days.  Bring the green owner's book when you send it.  Very common for Thais to do...several bikes going out everyday from the post office I used in Phuket. 

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO hire a pickup truck and take one bike and bring back the other. Can be done in one day. //

Uh?

Pattaya - Phuket is about 972 km according to Google.

1'944 km in one day ?? No way!

And BTW not economically interesting.

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Uh?

Of course it can be done in 24 hours. Buses do the trip one way from Bkk in about 12 hours or less and they are stopping on the way.

Or can ride to Bkk, take the train to Surat Thani, ride to Phuket. Have a day or two there and reverse direction. Probably cost about as much as driving the whole way.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course it can be done in 24 hours. Buses do the trip one way from Bkk in about 12 hours or less and they are stopping on the way.

You have to add about 2 hours for Pattaya, each way,  and you will have to stop too with a car, for petrol and to eat and rest. Nobody drives these 1'000 km non-stop!

Pattaya - Phuket - Pattaya in one day is not an option.

If not the Post, the train may be a good solution, There are many reports about it on Internet:

http://www.thailandbytrain.com/Bikes_On_Trains.html

https://www.riderchris.com/info/transporting-motorcycle-thailand-train/

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

You have to add about 2 hours for Pattaya, each way,  and you will have to stop too with a car, for petrol and to eat and rest. Nobody drives these 1'000 km non-stop!

Pattaya - Phuket - Pattaya in one day is not an option.

If not the Post, the train may be a good solution, There are many reports about it on Internet:

http://www.thailandbytrain.com/Bikes_On_Trains.html

https://www.riderchris.com/info/transporting-motorcycle-thailand-train/

If the bus can do it in 1 1/2 hours I don't see why it would take you 2.

Rest!!!!!!! What else is Red Bull for, and I used to eat while driving long distance. It's not as though it's hard work driving on Thailand's highways.

While it's what I would do, obviously you can do whatever you think is within your capability. Regardless, paying to have it transported is going to cost, and when I looked into having a m'bike transported by train from Chiang Mai to Pattaya it wasn't cheap.

The suggestion for each of you to ride half way sounded about the cheapest option, but you can pay a transport company to take one bike down and bring the other back on a pickup.

On 7/2/2017 at 3:47 PM, Pattaya46 said:

Uh?

With respect, I've driven, albeit in a car, from Pattaya to Phuket in about 12 hours. I've done the return journey in about the same time, so it is possible to do it.

However,  I'm not and never have been a biker so I may be being unrealistic?

Therefore see my suggestion above, (ID#3) in which each of the riders is doing half the journey twice therefore effectively just the same as a one-way trip.

Added to that, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 12 hours on a bike in any 24 hour period, hence my idea of an overnight stay at an agreed halfway point .

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, NanLaew said:

In order of ascending cost.

Bus.

Post Office.

Train.

DIY

In order of ascending difficulty.

Bus.

Post Office.

Train.

DIY

What buses would be able to take a m'bike? I've been on many buses over the years and none had a luggage space large enough to put a m'bike in.

My step daughter transported her Suzuki SkyDrive (scooter)

back and forth to Bangkok on the blue bus leaving from North Pattaya

They put in the hold with the rest of the luggage ,had to take the mirrors off to get it through the door.

They won't transport "big bikes"

but the post office will.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What buses would be able to take a m'bike? I've been on many buses over the years and none had a luggage space large enough to put a m'bike in.

The VIP 407 service Pattaya - Udon Thani is the one I have seen. The tall, double-decker buses have a large baggage space behind the dunny ahead of the engine (above the second tandem rear axle in the picture below). It goes across the full width of the bus and can get at least 4 Click, Fino, type crotch-rockets in there standing up.

596458adb3fa4_vipbus.jpg.80cc6d704ad04044a75efb7e4102817b.jpg