Moscow prepares retaliation for U.S. seizure of Russian diplomatic compounds

webfact

Moscow prepares retaliation for U.S. seizure of Russian diplomatic compounds

tag-reuters.jpg

A convoy of diplomatic vehicles leave a Russian owned compound, after President Barack Obama abruptly ordered the compound closed on Thursday, in Centreville, Maryland, U.S., December 30, 2016. REUTERS/Yeganeh Torbati

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Moscow is preparing retaliatory measures to Washington's decision to seize two Russian diplomatic compounds in the United States in 2016, Russia's foreign ministry spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

In December, U.S. seized two Russian diplomatic compounds as then President Barack Obama ordered the expulsion of 35 Russians over what he said was their involvement in hacking to interfere in the U.S. presidential election campaign.

Moscow, which denies such allegations, did not retaliate immediately, saying it would wait to see if relations improved under President Donald Trump.

"Retaliatory measures are being prepared. As you understand, such a decision on the issue won't be made only by the foreign ministry," ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said.

Speaking on state-run Rossiya 1 channel, Zakharova said Washington realises that Moscow would retaliate.

Russian Kommersant newspaper reported in June that Russia may seize U.S. diplomatic property in Moscow and complicate life for an Anglo-American school unless Washington hands back the two diplomatic compounds in the United States before July.

(Writing by Andrey Ostroukh; Editing by Angus MacSwan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-29

If you really want to get even, send a diplomatic chopper to the Ecuadorian Embassy in London and pick up a big-ass diplomatic pouch (with breathing holes cut into it).   That'll really frost their pumpkin.

Do the Russians own the lavish compounds in the US, or leasing them, or......?

Those places would make cool hippie crash pads - all those rooms on expansive properties. ....great places to get stoned and/or acid trips.  It wouldn't be hard to get some rock bands to play there.   Let's bring back 'The Summer of Love'   I'll set up a few dye tubs in the backyard to tie-die shirts and yoga-pants.

2 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Do the Russians own the lavish compounds in the US, or leasing them, or......?

Those places would make cool hippie crash pads - all those rooms on expansive properties. ....great places to get stoned and/or acid trips.  It wouldn't be hard to get some rock bands to play there.   Let's bring back 'The Summer of Love'   I'll set up a few dye tubs in the backyard to tie-die shirts and yoga-pants.

Actually, it sounds like you got a head start on that acid trip.   Your 'tripping' way, way off topic here!

Aren't Diplomatic Compounds like ex-territorial, and as such untouchable by the host country ?

Well, I know, the US can do anything bc they have the strongest military, so they don't have to care about international laws and rules. Imperialistic behaviour it is.

It depends on the nature of the facility, but embassies, consulates and some other properties are protected.   The people can be kicked out, but the property is generally guarded and continues to be protected.  

4 hours ago, maximillian said:

Aren't Diplomatic Compounds like ex-territorial, and as such untouchable by the host country ?

Well, I know, the US can do anything bc they have the strongest military, so they don't have to care about international laws and rules. Imperialistic behaviour it is.

No diplomatic compounds are not extra territorial and can be ordered - with advance notice - to be closed : in the worst case the diplomatic relations can be broken off and the embassies completely closed. What do you think happened to the US Embassy in Saigon in 1974 or the US Embassy in Tehran in 1979 etc...

8 hours ago, impulse said:

If you really want to get even, send a diplomatic chopper to the Ecuadorian Embassy in London and pick up a big-ass diplomatic pouch (with breathing holes cut into it).   That'll really frost their pumpkin.

Hmm,...not to bad idea !!! that would really piss them off....!!!

Funny  Rusky logic....Obama makes the mess and Trump (whom I a not a fan) gets the check?

To make it simple,  it is "you took my toys, so I'll take yours unless you give back mine"....I used to play this in kindergarten but did not have a black presidential limo carriage!!....:post-4641-1156694572:

Childish on both sides....and the most scary is that both have the bomb and rule large nations!:post-4641-1156694606:

Edited by observer90210

On 29/6/2560 at 2:31 PM, Berkshire said:

Or maybe release the pee-pee tapes.  That will freak out Trump. 

Good point.  Actually, the Russkies may have worse on Trump, than 'golden shower' tapes.

The Russkies are smart.  They won't waste that sort of leverage on a relatively small thing like a couple of mansions in Maryland (my former home state).  They'll save it for something bigger, like when they plan to take back one or more Balkan states.  If Trump tweets something like "Hey you guys, you probably shouldn't attack those places,"    ......Putin can send Trump a secret message, "Hey Buddinksky Donald, please keep your mouth shut, or my boys will release some tapes of you doing you-know-what in Russian hotel rooms."

On 6/29/2017 at 6:19 AM, webfact said:

U.S. seized two Russian diplomatic compounds as then President Barack Obama ordered the expulsion of 35 Russians over what he said was their involvement in hacking to interfere in the U.S. presidential election campaign

Trump said Obama did nothing about Russian hacking.

aybe FOX didn't carry news of the expulsion.

On 6/30/2017 at 4:07 PM, Srikcir said:

Trump said Obama did nothing about Russian hacking.

aybe FOX didn't carry news of the expulsion.

What he did was too little, too late. His own people AND the MSM have said this. What he did was have a "Last minute as POTUS" hissy fit because Putin didn't cringe at the G20 summit when he "told him to knock it off." by lashing out at the only thing he had any control of. He already knew his old white clone had lost so he didn't care what kind of mess it would or could make for Trump. He was leaving anyway to "go make some serious Tubmans on the lecture circuit.".

On 6/29/2017 at 7:49 AM, impulse said:

That would simply confirm that Assange is in Moscow's pocket. Staying put allows a measure of deniability for the benefit of those believing in tooth fairies.

14 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

What he did was too little, too late.

Not too late to pre-empt Trump from doing nothing.

What has Trump done to retaliate? Nothing as anticipated by Obama.

Trump hasn't mentioned the Russian interference with his Attorney General or Secretary of Homeland Security. He didn't even mention the hacking and election interference when he met with the Russian Ambassador in the White House.

Meanwhile the US Congress under Republican majority is preparing a new law for additional sanctions against Russia in retaliation. Be interesting if Trump refuses to sign the bill. But I expect the bill to be veto-proof.

Better to be too little, too late than nonexistent.